Wine Policy

On a recent cruise, we brought on a bottle of wine each at embarkation. In addition to our embarkation wine, I ordered a quantity of the bon voyage wine to hopefully last the length of our cruise - in this case, eight bottles. When we arrived at our cabin on embarkation day, there were eight bottles of a lovely cabernet from Chili, with eight gift cards. We had more than enough of an OBC from our travel agent to cover the cost of the wine, so I figured I was still ahead of the game.

As a bonus, we noticed that in some ports the security screening was done on land and before we went through a duty free shop. When we got on board and discovered there was no secondary screening on the ship, we got back off, loaded up in the duty free shop and clanked back on the ship with some extra wine.,

Where there's a will, there's a way.;)

any of those ports in Alaska? even tho I can't imagine needing more than a couple of bottles for me, it might be good to know

Just back from Vancouver - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Vancouver.

I brought in one bottle in Vancouver in my carry-on and no one checked it at all. At the ports, they scanned the packages, but I did not see any wine being brought onboard or being held by security.

DaveOKC

Just back from Vancouver - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Vancouver.

I brought in one bottle in Vancouver in my carry-on and no one checked it at all. At the ports, they scanned the packages, but I did not see any wine being brought onboard or being held by security.

DaveOKC

It was a mixed bag on the Maasdam too. I guess I was honest :eek:

In any case we went to the special spot and he marked down the types of wines we were bringing (including the permitted ones) and meanwhile our friends headed on board without even being asked. go figure!

About halfway through the cruise, I went down to the front desk on a slow sea day and asked if I would still be charged the corkage fee if I brought on some wine with screw tops at the next port. The person actually called someone, then went into the little back room, then called someone else.

I finally got my answer - No, the corkage fee applies to all types of wine.;)

About halfway through the cruise, I went down to the front desk on a slow sea day and asked if I would still be charged the corkage fee if I brought on some wine with screw tops at the next port. The person actually called someone, then went into the little back room, then called someone else.

I finally got my answer - No, the corkage fee applies to all types of wine.;)

I trust you are aware that the corkage fee is to replace HAL's lost profits on wine sales, not just the labor to open the bottle.

I trust you are aware that the corkage fee is to replace HAL's lost profits on wine sales, not just the labor to open the bottle.
Right. You would still be charged "corkage" if you brought an already-uncorked bottle to the MDR.

I've come to the conclusion that HAL should have called it the "bring your own wine fee." While I think most people understood what corkage meant, there is a fair amount of confusion. :eek:

I've come to the conclusion that HAL should have called it the "bring your own wine fee." While I think most people understood what corkage meant, there is a fair amount of confusion. :eek:

I've often wondered that if people are not familiar with the term "corkage fee", how familiar are they with wine in the first place, and what kind of wine would they be bringing onto the ship :confused:

I've often wondered that if people are not familiar with the term "corkage fee", how familiar are they with wine in the first place, and what kind of wine would they be bringing onto the ship :confused:

Don't get me started. :D Seriously. I mean it.

Not being a by the bottle wine drinker when dining out - it was a strange term initially - but I quickly figured it out [corkage is a fancy way to say you are charged for BYOB!]. As to what kind of wine "they" would be bringing on - my $5 to $9 bottle of Rosemont goes for a hefty 40+ on board....I'd come out better paying corkage for that than buying it from HAL

In the dining room, corkage includes the serving of and chilling ( if needed) of your bottle. Also if unfinished, it will be stored for you or sent to another restaurant for another time.

If you drink your wine in your room, "corkage" is just a plain old punishment/tax/fee etc. for not buying the ship's wine. As stated earlier, the cruiselines will get your money no matter what they call it.;)

Does anyone remember when HAL allowed people to bring their own wine and drink by the pool? In 1999 we were on the original Noordam, on a Holy Lands cruise. Our table mates brought on Mogen David at one of the ports. One day, they invited people to share it while in and about the pool. Now that I think of it, no one thought anything of it!

Does anyone remember when HAL allowed people to bring their own wine and drink by the pool? In 1999 we were on the original Noordam, on a Holy Lands cruise. Our table mates brought on Mogen David at one of the ports. One day, they invited people to share it while in and about the pool. Now that I think of it, no one thought anything of it!

We still do that quite often at the aft pool. The waiters gladly bring us glasses and a wine chilling bucket, if required. We pay the corkage fee quite willingly (...if we are asked to ... otherwise, we just leave them a considerable tip at the end ;))

........I went down to the front desk on a slow sea day and asked if I would still be charged the corkage fee if I brought on some wine with screw tops at the next port.

I'm sure you realise that HAL refers to this charge as 'screwage'.:D

Can the bon voyage wine be brought to the dining room? It is HAL purchased wine after all. And in the order forms it doesn't specify that it must be consumed in the stateroom like other pre purchased beer or alcohol. Has anyone purchased it and brought it to dinner?

Can the bon voyage wine be brought to the dining room? It is HAL purchased wine after all. And in the order forms it doesn't specify that it must be consumed in the stateroom like other pre purchased beer or alcohol. Has anyone purchased it and brought it to dinner?

If HAL supplies the wine, (whether your purchase, or a gift to you from someone else who purchased from HAL) you may bring it to any public area and have it served with no corkage fee.

I have done this several times. Saved my bring on wine for the cabin the and gift bottle from HAL I take to the MDR. I always tip the wine server $5 for opening and pouring it.

DaveOKC

we will pay corkage on every bottle so we will pick up some in Seattle and save as well as being able to choose better wine than the ship offers. We used to bring it from home if driving but it doesn't make a difference to us. We'll just pay corkage up front.

I have done this several times. Saved my bring on wine for the cabin the and gift bottle from HAL I take to the MDR. I always tip the wine server $5 for opening and pouring it.

DaveOKC

Could you please clarify "gift bottle from HAL?" Thank you!

Could you please clarify "gift bottle from HAL?" Thank you!

On most ships if you book a Neptune suite you get a bottle of "sparkling wine" in your cabin when you arrive. I take mine to the Neptune Concierge and exchange it for a bottle of the house "white", which is usually not bad.

DaveOKC