Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

soda: $2.00 Corner store 4 cans/$2. Same can!:eek:

bottled water: $3.50 $2.00/bottle. Same bottle!

premium coffee/tea: $4.50 8 oz jar instant (120 cups!!!) same price!!!

beer: $4.50 6 pk. same price as 1!!!:eek:

wine/cocktails: $6.50

You talk about HIGHWAY ROBBERY!:mad:

Wow! Which corner store or supermarket provides:

carpet

soft, comfortable lounge chairs

tables

musical entertainment???

Compare like with like. You're not getting the soft drink from a can on the room temperature shelf either!

Wow! Which corner store or supermarket provides:

carpet

soft, comfortable lounge chairs

tables

musical entertainment???

Compare like with like. You're not getting the soft drink from a can on the room temperature shelf either!

Exactly.

BTW, please don't forget the waiters and the little umbrellas in the drinks:p

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

soda: $2.00 Corner store 4 cans/$2. Same can!:eek:

bottled water: $3.50 $2.00/bottle. Same bottle!

premium coffee/tea: $4.50 8 oz jar instant (120 cups!!!) same price!!!

beer: $4.50 6 pk. same price as 1!!!:eek:

wine/cocktails: $6.50

You talk about HIGHWAY ROBBERY!:mad:

But you are on a cruise ship not at home.

I don't mind paying more for some items due to the location -cruise ship, resort, etc. I think the celebrity cruise prices for their drinks are fairly reasonable .What I don't like is having prices change after purchase of a package so that now some of the items are excluded.:(

Ok - if the land vs. cruise ship prices don't bother you could you please explain away the rise in price of one of the wines (it may be ALL of the wines but this is the one we drink so the only one I'm positive about the price)

In a local wine store at home 2013 price $16/bottle.

Current price $16/bottle

2013 price on Solstice $8.50/glass

winter 2014 price on Eclipse $9.50/glass

current price from list posted $11.00/glass (it was actually $12.50 but I took off the 15%)

Edited by chamima

I suspect that the reason why the plans are getting so much attention is because of the focus Celebrity is putting on their lounges as the focus of evening activities. (cut)

This is quite a change from even two years ago when there was more variety in evening activities, and less of a lounge focus.

This is an interesting idea, but can you give an example of previous evening activities that did not involve drinking? (I see that cle-guy asked the same question earlier.)

On our last cruise on Silhouette in February they had a number of parties in the Grand Foyer. While clearly there are bars in the areas around that, it was not a captive audience like when they hold it in an actual bar/lounge area.

Edited by MisterBill99

Ok - if the land vs. cruise ship prices don't bother you could you please explain away the rise in price of one of the wines (it may be ALL of the wines but this is the one we drink so the only one I'm positive about the price)

Current price $16/bottle

current price from list posted $11.00/glass (it was actually $12.50 but I took off the 15%)

I was making the point that you cannot compare a corner store or supermarket with a cruise ship, that doesn't mean to say I accept prices rising substantially on all the drinks outside of simple inflationary pressures.

Of course.

The thing I'm surprised by is that some do!

I don't LIKE the change of the packages, but I respect the corporation's right to do do, and suffer the consequences for doing so be that complaints, some bad PR and word of mouth, or someone taking time to file suit or alert their consumer bureaus, or them making this the last cruise with celebrity and finding an alternate vacation next time - which simply opens up a cabin for a new cruiser who's never cruised with them to come and start experiencing what I consider --even with such dramatic changes as moving beverages up a tier within packages by raising the prices of drinks -- a fantastic cruising experience and vacation.

But fact remains until a proper authority proves otherwise by levying a fine or other punishment to X for this, it is in fact their right to make the changes.

Current price $16/bottle

Perhaps supply and demand, maybe they have found that particular brand to be very popular, thus they can charge a bit more for it to squeeze additional revenue/profit from it.

I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne for a special event at my grocery store for $110 the other day, on ship I believe the price was just over $300 for the same bottle. It's quite typical for wine rices to be double on a hospitality establishment versus what it sells for in a grocery store.

Another thought on the price increases {and Im battening down the hatches for even suggesting this but let's see how it's taken - I have my flame proof suit on....}

X presents itself as "Modern Luxury" and has a sister company RCI that is nice but different.

Perhaps with the extra capacity at Royal recently and upcoming, they are making an effort early on to push some of the more budget conscious consumers over to RCI to fill those ships and open space at Celebrity for those who won't get caught up in their shorts over a $1 price increase in a glass of wine or by moving a top shelf liquor from a lower package into its rightful higher package.

Like piloting a ship, it takes a LONG time to make such a turn....but slow and steady ahead....

Like Ritz Carlton versus Marriott Hotels versus Courtyard by Marriott. All may sell the same Budweiser beer that they all bought from the same supplier off the same delivery truck on the same day, but it will be $6 at Ritz, $5 at Marriott and $3 at Courtyard by Marriott.

That X has no new ships on order means they don't have much need to attract NEW consumers unless they can find space for them to sail in, so they need to cull the ranks somehow.... I suspected the same thing with the captains club changes...aligning with RCI's program somewhat lets people leave X and maintain benefits at Royal.

I see X's advertising to be similar to airlines who advertise their Business and first class cabins, the same periodicals and locations as United and Emirates use yet don't see any of the same ads in the same periodicals for Royal. I see their ads in periodicals aimed at niche audience and younger audiences.

Discuss....

Another thought on the price increases {and Im battening down the hatches for even suggesting this but let's see how it's taken - I have my flame proof suit on....}

Perhaps with the extra capacity at Royal recently and upcoming, they are making an effort early on to push some of the more budget conscious consumers over to RCI to fill those ships and open space at Celebrity for those who won't get caught up in their shorts over a $1 price increase in a glass of wine or by moving a top shelf liquor from a lower package into its rightful higher package.

I doubt that you actually looked at what's moved out...Dewars, Johnny Walker Red cost what Cutty Sark does...most lists have eliminated three olives vodka which costs what the included vodkas cost. These aren't top shelf liquors.

As far as the rest of your idea....RCL and Celebrity compete...they have no intention of not competing. They are working under the same assumption that GM worked on....three or four brands get more of the market than one or two brands. Celebrity would like to have every single RCL passenger and RCL would love to have every single Celebrity passenger. Azamara is above that fray and offers something you might actually call "modern luxury"....for celebrity it's a marketing slogan.

X presents itself as "Modern Luxury" and has a sister company RCI that is nice but different.

Like piloting a ship, it takes a LONG time to make such a turn....but slow and steady ahead....

Like Ritz Carlton versus Marriott Hotels versus Courtyard by Marriott. All may sell the same Budweiser beer that they all bought from the same supplier off the same delivery truck on the same day, but it will be $6 at Ritz, $5 at Marriott and $3 at Courtyard by Marriott.

That X has no new ships on order means they don't have much need to attract NEW consumers unless they can find space for them to sail in, so they need to cull the ranks somehow.... I suspected the same thing with the captains club changes...aligning with RCI's program somewhat lets people leave X and maintain benefits at Royal.

I see X's advertising to be similar to airlines who advertise their Business and first class cabins, the same periodicals and locations as United and Emirates use yet don't see any of the same ads in the same periodicals for Royal. I see their ads in periodicals aimed at niche audience and younger audiences.

Discuss....

I think it's quite the opposite I think cruise lines in general are not doing as well as they would like us to think. Look at some of the recent promotions, cruising now is far cheaper than it was, though cruising numbers are rising the capacity is rising quicker

If your statement held validity how did I manage to book a huge cabin for 5, where I only paid a cruise fare for two and just taxes and port fees for the other 3 and also got a drinks package thrown in. It is cheaper for my family to cruise Celebrity than RCI

On my cruise it is still possible to book 4 into a a category Balcony cabin not a guarantee for $3603 including port fees and taxes plus perks a month before final payment this is during prime holiday dates

I think this promotion and the recent changes are targeting families more than couples and a younger cruiser than the norm. I think the drive for "Modern Luxury" is going to push more in the direction Azamara than RCI.

Whilst attracting younger more aspirational cruisers and families.

Discuss....

Then why offer the 3rd and 4th guest sails free on X? Doesn't that kinda go against everything you stated?

I think it's quite the opposite I think cruise lines in general are not doing as well as they would like us to think. Look at some of the recent promotions, cruising now is far cheaper than it was, though cruising numbers are rising the capacity is rising quicker

If your statement held validity how did I manage to book a huge cabin for 5, where I only paid a cruise fare for two and just taxes and port fees for the other 3 and also got a drinks package thrown in. It is cheaper for my family to cruise Celebrity than RCI

On my cruise it is still possible to book 4 into a a category Balcony cabin not a guarantee for $3603 including port fees and taxes plus perks a month before final payment this is during prime holiday dates

I think this promotion and the recent changes are targeting families more than couples and a younger cruiser than the norm. I think the drive for "Modern Luxury" is going to push more in the direction Azamara than RCI.

Whilst attracting younger more aspirational cruisers and families.

There are certainly bargains and values to be had. There are enticements to fill cabins that are selling slowly, any loss leaders to get people to come on board and spend the doings on board. One can not gauge the financial health of a corporation by a bargain found here or there. There are as many people who have paid full price for the cruses. All the cabin sales have to be taken onto a market basket and weighted average of the overall cabin prices determine the financial health. For financial health. one simply needs to read the quarterly stock filing reports and financials. 1st quarter was off a bit due to some mechanical and issues outside of RCI's control, but still profitable, and dividends still paid.

I look at the Summit and its Bermuda sailings to offer some similarities.... Some weeks cabin prices are dramatically higher than the norm, some weeks dramatically lower than the norm, clearly supply and demand driven. But it's the exact same itinerary week after week all summer. Like the eek before memorial day is cheap, memorial day is expensive. The week after Labor day is cheap, the week that includes labor day is expensive and the weeks prior to labor day are in the middle of the road in price.

I've found great bargains myself along the way. A PH on a 14 day TA on Reflection was $24k, the PH on Eclipse 13 day was $20k when they went on sale. However 4 weeks out remaining unsold, it plummeted to $11k on eclipse, yet Reflection remained at 24K. Supply and demand, and the perishability of the cabin (possibility it may remain unsold) suggested to management it was time to reduce price and try to get someone to book it for some price rather than let it sail empty.

Wether the push is to RCI or Azamara makes no matter to the bottom line, as long as the money's kept in the "family" of lines RCI owns.

Now if you could show me that your cabin type on that ship sell for that cheap of a price on every sailing all season, I'd have to rethink my argument.

There are certainly bargains and values to be had. There are enticements to fill cabins that are selling slowly, any loss leaders to get people to come on board and spend the doings on board. One can not gauge the financial health of a corporation by a bargain found here or there. There are as many people who have paid full price for the cruses. All the cabin sales have to be taken onto a market basket and weighted average of the overall cabin prices determine the financial health. For financial health. one simply needs to read the quarterly stock filing reports and financials. 1st quarter was off a bit due to some mechanical and issues outside of RCI's control, but still profitable, and dividends still paid.

I look at the Summit and its Bermuda sailings to offer some similarities.... Some weeks cabin prices are dramatically higher than the norm, some weeks dramatically lower than the norm, clearly supply and demand driven. But it's the exact same itinerary week after week all summer. Like the eek before memorial day is cheap, memorial day is expensive. The week after Labor day is cheap, the week that includes labor day is expensive and the weeks prior to labor day are in the middle of the road in price.

I've found great bargains myself along the way. A PH on a 14 day TA on Reflection was $24k, the PH on Eclipse 13 day was $20k when they went on sale. However 4 weeks out remaining unsold, it plummeted to $11k on eclipse, yet Reflection remained at 24K. Supply and demand, and the perishability of the cabin (possibility it may remain unsold) suggested to management it was time to reduce price and try to get someone to book it for some price rather than let it sail empty.

Wether the push is to RCI or Azamara makes no matter to the bottom line, as long as the money's kept in the "family" of lines RCI owns.

Now if you could show me that your cabin type on that ship sell for that cheap of a price on every sailing all season, I'd have to rethink my argument.

...and the reason I will NEVER EVER do a Christmas cruise again.

[quote name='20pluscruises']Then why offer the 3rd and 4th guest sails free on X? Doesn't that kinda go against everything you stated?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what that has to do with my comments...could you expand?

I always see a cabin as selling for a price, be that 1 people or 10 people in it like a hotel room. I don't see cabins selling for a per-person price. This is why as a solo traveler, I always still have to pay for 2 people in the cabin.

Adding a 3rd or 4th and even 5th to the cabins has no material additional cost for the cruise line, but does provide additional bodies to buy beverages, spa services, kids club activities, and excursions. I also wonder if the kids sail free promotions may exclude certain sailings like Christmas time or particular periods during the summer.

I haven't at all said X is pushing families away, I've said they are pushing budget conscious consumers away. By younger Audiences, I am 44 years Old, I mean people younger than I. here are plant y of folks with families under 44 years old that X clearly is advertising to.

[quote name='cle-guy']I'm not sure what that has to do with my comments...could you expand?

I always see a cabin as selling for a price, be that 1 people or 10 people in it like a hotel room. I don't see cabins selling for a per-person price. This is why as a solo traveler, I always still have to pay for 2 people in the cabin.

Adding a 3rd or 4th and even 5th to the cabins has no material additional cost for the cruise line, but does provide additional bodies to buy beverages, spa services, kids club activities, and excursions. I also wonder if the kids sail free promotions may exclude certain sailings like Christmas time or particular periods during the summer.

I haven't at all said X is pushing families away, I've said they are pushing budget conscious consumers away. By younger Audiences, I am 44 years Old, I mean people younger than I. here are plant y of folks with families under 44 years old that X clearly is advertising to.[/QUOTE]

I think 3rd and 4th cruise free, free classic package, etc. is a budget conscious consumer. I remember always having to pay for my daughter back in the day. Never once was she able to cruise free as a third guest.

[quote name='20pluscruises']I think 3rd and 4th cruise free, free classic package, etc. is a budget conscious consumer. I remember always having to pay for my daughter back in the day. Never once was she able to cruise free as a third guest.[/QUOTE]

I see the promotions more as ways to fill empty cabins in certain periods where they may go unsold, especially in the crowded caribbean market. Curious to find out if they allow kids sail free during the busy christmas break and new years eve periods? Are there any blacked out dates that apply to it?

I don't think anyone can really believe X is reaching out to [B][I]target[/I][/B] families with kids. They tolerate kids, but certainly aren't a mass appeal for kids. There's not much for kids to other than the kids club and hang out with mom and dad, versus RCI ships with climbing walls and surf waves and mini golf and johnny rockets burgers.

Many cabin types on X ships don't even provide room for more than 2 passengers. ALL aqua class cabins are limited to 2, most other cabins are as well, (or at least half of all balcony and ocean views - just look at deck maps for sofa beds or pullman notations) there are some with pullmans and sofa beds, but the majority of cabins are designed for 2 not more (excluding suites and family verandas of course, which are limited in availability and only provide crappy sofa beds for sleeping)

Still trying to figure out what is still included in the premium package we upgraded to. For example, drinks in the Molecular Bar were $13 and thus, included. Has the price of those drinks remained the same after all these changes?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

[quote name='cle-guy']I see the promotions more as ways to fill empty cabins in certain periods where they may go unsold, especially in the crowded caribbean market. Curious to find out if they allow kids sail free during the busy christmas break and new years eve periods? Are there any blacked out dates that apply to it?

I don't think anyone can really believe X is reaching out to [B][I]target[/I][/B] families with kids. They tolerate kids, but certainly aren't a mass appeal for kids. There's not much for kids to other than the kids club and hang out with mom and dad, versus RCI ships with climbing walls and surf waves and mini golf and johnny rockets burgers.

[COLOR="Red"]Many cabin types on X ships don't even provide room for more than 2 passengers. ALL aqua class cabins are limited to 2[/COLOR], most other cabins are as well, (or at least half of all balcony and ocean views - just look at deck maps for sofa beds or pullman notations) there are some with pullmans and sofa beds, but the majority of cabins are designed for 2 not more (excluding suites and family verandas of course, which are limited in availability and only provide [COLOR="red"]crappy sofa beds for sleeping[/COLOR])[/QUOTE]

Your really stretching with facts. Actually most of the aqua cabins have a sleeper sofa in them....celebrity limited the cabins to 2 people because of the size of Blu...but the sleeper sofas are still there. As far as I know, every mass market cruise line that offers normal size cabins that will accomodate more than 2 people use those "crappy sofa beds" although some use those "crappy" drop down beds. This isn't a plus or minus for celebrity...not even sure why you brought it into the conversation.

[quote name='cle-guy']I see the promotions more as ways to fill empty cabins in certain periods where they may go unsold, especially in the crowded caribbean market. Curious to find out if they allow kids sail free during the busy christmas break and new years eve periods? Are there any blacked out dates that apply to it?

Many cabin types on X ships don't even provide room for more than 2 passengers. ALL aqua class cabins are limited to 2, most other cabins are as well, (or at least half of all balcony and ocean views - just look at deck maps for sofa beds or pullman notations) there are some with pullmans and sofa beds, but the majority of cabins are designed for 2 not more (excluding suites and family verandas of course, which are limited in availability and only provide crappy sofa beds for sleeping)[/QUOTE]

A LOT of children were sleeping on those crappy sofa beds on the Christmas cruise. As a matter of fact I beleive the child count was close to 1000. Not sure what you are trying to say?

[quote name='cle-guy']I don't LIKE the change of the packages, but I respect the corporation's right to do do, and suffer the consequences for doing so be that complaints, some bad PR and word of mouth, or someone taking time to file suit or alert their consumer bureaus, or them making this the last cruise with celebrity and finding an alternate vacation next time - which simply opens up a cabin for a new cruiser who's never cruised with them to come and start experiencing what I consider --even with such dramatic changes as moving beverages up a tier within packages by raising the prices of drinks -- a fantastic cruising experience and vacation.

But fact remains until a proper authority proves otherwise by levying a fine or other punishment to X for this, it is in fact their right to make the changes.[/QUOTE]

The last sentence doesn't add much, even though it presents as a conclusion.

Nobody's asserting that they don't run the business, and therefore don't have the right to change things.

However, while they have that right, they also need to consider the rights of those who paid for the package to get what are entitled to based on the entitlements the line expect. The line has the responsibility to deliver what was promised.

When they don't meet that responsibility, and abuse their rights in effect, they will be criticised at a minimum. What happens after that is up to the person aggrieved.

[quote name='cle-guy']I'm not sure what that has to do with my comments...could you expand?

[/quote]

While I understand that perspective, as the default situation, it is not accurate.

As a couple of examples, the sister line RCL is currently running a "Buy one, get second half off" promotion.

Further, on both lines, they run promotions at various times that vary the solo supplement, from nil (rare) to 50% and 75% as well as the standard 100%.

Furthermore, it's normal for them to charge a differently priced 3/4 person price from the first two.

It's definitely not a per cabin rate, but per person. Your booking arrangements just mean that you usually price in one way.

[quote name='cle-guy']Many cabin types on X ships don't even provide room for more than 2 passengers. ALL aqua class cabins are limited to 2, most other cabins are as well, (or at least half of all balcony and ocean views - just look at deck maps for sofa beds or pullman notations) there are some with pullmans and sofa beds, but the majority of cabins are designed for 2 not more (excluding suites and family verandas of course, which are limited in availability and only provide crappy sofa beds for sleeping)[/QUOTE]

Merely because:
1) it's the standard travel arrangement, and
2) it costs more to fit out every cabin for 3/4 when it's not required, and the line is not registered to carry that many.

As someone keeps saying, the line has a fiduciary duty to shareholders to not spend more money than it needs to. Fitting out all cabins as 3/4 when they can't accommodate that in total on the ship would be a waste of money. Therefore they fit out a reasonable amount with overflow capacity, given you can't predict which grade people will book.

[quote name='The_Big_M']While I understand that perspective, as the default situation, it is not accurate.

As a couple of examples, the sister line RCL is currently running a "Buy one, get second half off" promotion.

Further, on both lines, they run promotions at various times that vary the solo supplement, from nil (rare) to 50% and 75% as well as the standard 100%.

Furthermore, it's normal for them to charge a differently priced 3/4 person price from the first two.

It's definitely not a per cabin rate, but per person. Your booking arrangements just mean that you usually price in one way.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE send me a link to any cruise on Celebrity where they are not charging the single supplement. I'm dying to find one so I can go half price and as of now, have not yet seen one. I know I've heard of a rare discount, but have yet to find any, let alone ay on an itinerary that interests me. My travel agent likened it to looking for the golden egg.

And we generally come to these boards and complain that promotions just mean the cabin fare is inflated to cover it (see threads about when beverage packages apply and don't and how cabin fares seem to magically drop a bit soon after such promotions end) They aren't giving anything away for free, they are just moving the revenue generating bucket from place to place is all.

And as they change what's charged for 3rd and 4th, it's going to be market-driven and occupancy driven, if they are selling slow they may give 3rd and 4th free or cheap. If its a good seller, they may charge for them. If they have lots of cabins that have singles in them, they may give free 3rd and 4th so they get more bodies on board to spend in board and raise on board spending. If most cabins are selling with 2 or more occupants in them, and they may be reaching overall ship capacity, they may raise the fare for 3rd and 4th passengers to slow down those bookings and maximize revenue. I worked my way through college for Courtyard by Marriott, eventually leaving to work for family once I achieved Assistant General Manager there, so I am well in tune with driving both occupancy and average daily rates and making small changes daily to rates and perks and promotions to achieve those goals.

A ship ideally wants to sail with 100% occupancy - as many bodies as they can legally allow on board. To do that they have to closely monitor singles and triples and quads to level each other out to achieve the "perfect sell" of maximum bodies (not even necessarily every cabin, but all available bodies). It's entirely possible that a ship full of families may have lots of quads and therefore they have to leave some cabins empty as they have reached capacity.