Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

I just got off the phone with celebrity. After a 45 minute hold. They are still quoting the $6 byr an 8 dollar wine limits. He said they know nothing of any increases. What a waste of 45 minutes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sorry but whilst they do have pouilly fume( also,one of my favourites) it was outside the premium package at $16 and the limit on the premium is $15 !!!!! After trying several of the others to see if there was something in the package I liked I ended up paying the difference for each drink.

Also it was only available in MDR and cellar masters Murano of course.

Susan

I would pay the $1:D

We don't know the wine up to price...I've seen $8, I've seen that it's been raised to $9...not sure.

Agree with the rest.

Ok, point taken. Until last week we all were aware of the limits now it is also in the unknown category. I also agree with the post you had before mine.

That equates to a $2.50 tip on an $8 glass of wine. I'm still confused and it doesn't explain the difference I see.

I think what you need to do is work backwards from the problem not forwards from the $8

$10.50 divided by 115 multiply by 100 equals $9.13 the new price of the wine

I would guess the wine is charged at $9 on cruises outside the UK and the UK price has been rounded up to make accounting easier

I think the nub of the problem is that in the UK and Aus when you buy or offer something as a perk it is a requirement that the product is as described.

We have done many all inclusive's and the way the TA's get around this is by describing the drinks included as local alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages or if your lucky imported alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages, this is for all destinations. They do not name brands it causes to many problems.

If from the beginning Celebrity UK had used similar wording to what the local TA's do when describing drink packages and just put $ amounts to what was included rather than a blow by blow list of everything, most people would have not known the difference especially the new to Celebrity cruisers. I am sure there would have been those that grumble that the package this year was not as good as last year but people can accept that prices rise

Celebrity made a mistake by not fully taking into account how things are done in other markets and the expectations of customers in these markets.

I think what you need to do is work backwards from the problem not forwards from the $8

$10.50 divided by 115 multiply by 100 equals $9.13 the new price of the wine

I would guess the wine is charged at $9 on cruises outside the UK and the UK price has been rounded up to make accounting easier

I think the nub of the problem is that in the UK and Aus when you buy or offer something as a perk it is a requirement that the product is as described.

We have done many all inclusive's and the way the TA's get around this is by describing the drinks included as local alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages or if your lucky imported alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages, this is for all destinations. They do not name brands it causes to many problems.

If from the beginning Celebrity UK had used similar wording to what the local TA's do when describing drink packages and just put $ amounts to what was included rather than a blow by blow list of everything, most people would have not known the difference especially the new to Celebrity cruisers. I am sure there would have been those that grumble that the package this year was not as good as last year but people can accept that prices rise

Celebrity made a mistake by not fully taking into account how things are done in other markets and the expectations of customers in these markets.

It seems to me that they are changing the prices of drinks and what is or isn't included in the packages per cruise. I am sure this is just leading to more and more confusion and the end result is that everyone will either upgrade or not take a package at all.:(

Sorry but whilst they do have pouilly fume( also,one of my favourites) it was outside the premium package at $16 and the limit on the premium is $15 !!!!! After trying several of the others to see if there was something in the package I liked I ended up paying the difference for each drink.

Also it was only available in MDR and cellar masters Murano of course.

Susan

The premium limit has increased to $15? That's the first i'm hearing this. However Celebrity is still quoting $13 over the phone. Frustrating!

The premium limit has increased to $15? That's the first i'm hearing this. However Celebrity is still quoting $13 over the phone. Frustrating!

She was on the Eclipse which has the 15% Grat included in the price $13 + 15% = $14.95 so rounded up to $15 So you have to watch that if you are looking at any pricing from the Eclipse while she is sailing out of Southampton.

OH MY GOD...

How do we get people to understand the difference between UK based and US based pricing rules on these ships....

Half the complaining here are US folks outraged that don't know the prices are inclusive of the gratuity as UK law requires "all in" pricing. So no conspiracy that a call center is still quoting $13 when the onboard sign may say $15 unless one asks very specifically, "I'm traveling on the Eclipse out of the UK and want to know what the price of a beverage is including gratuity" .....and everyone should by now know that gratuity is automatically added on the standard $13 price. (or whatever price).

It is a unique nuance sure...and a training issue, sure, but the season just started, let's give them time to get the learning done. Ecipse os on what, it's 2nd cruise since it got to the UK, maybe 3rd?

I imagine call center staff rotate quite frequently and there aren't a lot of folks there who have been there for multiple years to know these nuances much as we think they should have 100% accuracy, truth and reality is, they don't and that's not gonna be fixed anytime soon.

No one likes change, but it is a reality.

"No one likes change, but it is a reality." It's not a question of change; it's question of what Celebrity promised (with no modifying language) when I booked and what they appear to be offering now. It may be Celebrity's "reality" but it's not mine.

All top shelf drinks were available on the premium package but initially my friend ( Classic package)was served white rum for Bacardi until she questioned them on the first night and thereafter she got proper Bacardi. She also had piña colada

So is there agreement that all of the standard frozen drinks like pina colada are included (and not up to the bartender you get) even though only strawberry daiquiris are included in the printed sheet? Personally, I don't care what kind of rum they put in it, I'm not that picky.

Edited by MisterBill99

....." It's not a question of change; it's question of what Celebrity promised (with no modifying language) when I booked....

Again, thanks for posting. Please share with us what Celebrity promised and when you booked.

I like the design of the current Classic and Premium package. All beers under a certain $ limit and all drinks under another $ limit are included in the Classic package. The Premium package includes all drinks under a higher $ limit with an option of paying the difference for a drink over the limit. It seems like a perfect system to me and I am surprised that so many people do not actually pay the $11.50 pp day amount to upgrade to the Premium package. It was reported on a recent cruise that 1500 people on a cruise had the Classic package. Seems like a high number did not upgrade.

There is a lot of discussion on this thread of perhaps converting the system to more of a "drinks on a list" type of system that is somehow implemented on all ships in all locations. Although I understand the desire to have a list for what is included on the Classic package I do not think that this approach of a list is the best process. I recall frequently seeing drink lists at different bars with prices, but not necessarily a single list with all drinks for all bars with the prices. Whenever I ordered a drink over the Premium limit I knew about it. I did this only for a few great large international beers. The more appropriate question is how much does a "xxx" cost so you can determine if it is included with the package.

Obviously Celebrity is going to need the flexibility to change the brands and prices offered on any of the cruise ships. IMO it is not reasonable to think that this cannot change whenever necessary. Independent of when you purchased the package. If the price of a certain drink increases to an amount that is above the limits on the package then Celebrity has several options:

1. Celebrity can increase the limits on the packages without increasing the cost of the packages.

2. Celebrity can increase the costs for the package and increase the limits.

3. Celebrity can keep the same limits and thus certain drinks might may no longer be in the package.

It seems like Celebrity might be doing a combination of 1 and 3.

IMO implementing or testing this new system while transfering to the European market (with gratuities included on prices) was a poor choice and it appears that it is causing even more confusion.

I am more concerned about the potential that Celebrity may be increasing the costs of very simple mid range brands to such a high level. A Captain Morgan and Coke over $8 without gratuity? I cannot even imagine that a Captain Morgans is that expensive on any ship. A Baileys? Could this actually be true? I just find it hard to believe. Or is Celebrity actually converting the system that is based on a list that many people are asking about instead of just drinks under a certain $ amount? And someone this is creating confusion on the ship and with passengers? I hope not. The bottom line on this point is I just cannot beleive that Celebrity is increasing all those drinks about $8.

Perhaps there is some overreaction going on. I do not believe that the impact will be as significant as many are speculating.

We will know shortly as a greater number of people return from cruises.

So is there agreement that all of the standard frozen drinks like pina colada are included (and not up to the bartender you get) even though only strawberry daiquiris are included in the printed sheet? Personally, I don't care what kind of rum they put in it, I'm not that picky.

I'm gonna be on the boat in just about 2 weeks. Will let ya know if pina coladas and other frozen drinks are in the classic package still.

Been reading way too many of these posts, so I think I'm gonna just stop and just get on the boat without worrying and see what drinks I can score under the free package :D Fingers crossed on some good free drinks available. I too don't really mind what brand rum they use in my drinks.

I suspect that the reason why the plans are getting so much attention is because of the focus Celebrity is putting on their lounges as the focus of evening activities. I will spend about 75 days on cruise ships this year, sailing multiple cruise lines. Recently spent some time on the Solstice. Compared to the other cruise lines I have spent time on this year (HAL, Princess, Crystal, Oceania) the nighttime activities on Celebrity seem to be almost exclusively focused around the bars/lounges. The Celebrity model seems very much one of keeping people in a social environment there with the corresponding drinking.

With that kind of entertainment focus it should not be surprising about the focus on the packages and the price of the drinks. With the exception of the main show, there was not much scheduled after six except music in the various lounges.

This is quite a change from even two years ago when there was more variety in evening activities, and less of a lounge focus.

Edited by RDC1

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

soda: $2.00 Corner store 4 cans/$2. Same can!:eek:

bottled water: $3.50 $2.00/bottle. Same bottle!

premium coffee/tea: $4.50 8 oz jar instant (120 cups!!!) same price!!!

beer: $4.50 6 pk. same price as 1!!!:eek:

wine/cocktails: $6.50

You talk about HIGHWAY ROBBERY!:mad:

This is quite a change from even two years ago when there was more variety in evening activities, and less of a lounge focus.

Interesting observation. I can't imagine what other nighttime activities there may have been other than music, show and lounge.

I didn't start cruising until early 2013.....Can you expand on what other nighttime activities there were?

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

Hotel vending machine, sodas are $2

Hotels I've seen the bottled water with $5 and even $7 pricing, though most often $3

Hotel room service coffee up to $25 for a pot after delivery and gratuity. Starbucks, $3.50

Beer in hotel $5-$9 pending the brand, same at many bars unless happy hour

It's all relative for sure. Paying for the ambiance and atmosphere and convenience, as well as subsidizing the low cabin fare that doesn't raise over time to keep pace with inflation.

We apologize for any confusion regarding our beverage packages. We have not made any recent changes to our packages, they are the same now as they were in March of this year.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I guess the package does not change $6/$8. Just raise the prices so the drink prices change making them not in the plan???

But you are on a cruise ship not at home.

Hotel vending machine, sodas are $2

Hotels I've seen the bottled water with $5 and even $7 pricing, though most often $3

Hotel room service coffee up to $25 for a pot after delivery and gratuity. Starbucks, $3.50

Beer in hotel $5-$9 pending the brand, same at many bars unless happy hour

It's all relative for sure. Paying for the ambiance and atmosphere and convenience, as well as subsidizing the low cabin fare that doesn't raise over time to keep pace with inflation.

I don't mind paying more for some items due to the location -cruise ship, resort, etc. I think the celebrity cruise prices for their drinks are fairly reasonable .What I don't like is having prices change after purchase of a package so that now some of the items are excluded.:(

Can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention, despite the critcism and name calling you have been subjected to. You have done us a great service, and I am very appreciative, as are many other quiet ones.

Same again from me. :)