Packing- how many suitcases?

BrownCalico

I am a notorious overpacker, but am trying to get better! How many suitcases would you take for a 5 night cruise + 1 night pre-cruise for 2 adults? I can't seem to get down to less than 2 wheeled carry-ons and 1 suitcase! Help! :-)

I am a notorious overpacker, but am trying to get better! How many suitcases would you take for a 5 night cruise + 1 night pre-cruise for 2 adults? I can't seem to get down to less than 2 wheeled carry-ons and 1 suitcase! Help! :-)

Depending on where the cruise/location is, we'd probably just do one 26"ish rolling bag and two backpacks (for two of us).

Our last cruise (4 night) no pre/post cruise days trip we couldn't even fill the one suitcase, and only had one backpack.

In reality, you don't need enough clothes to change 3X a day. Take stuff that can do double duty. Mix and match tops/bottoms. I'd probably take (not counting what I'm wearing the day of travel) 3 shirts/blouses, 2 shorts/capris, 1 or 2 dress blouses and either my mid-length skirt or black dress pants. One pair each walking shoes, dress shoes. Nightgown. Swimsuit. Underwear for 6 days (I like to have extras). All that along with the blouse, pants, shoes, light jacket that I'm wearing is plenty.

No one's going to remember that you wore the same shirt twice.

Well it depends on what you consider necessary. For 5 day Caribbean cruise with very casual ports of call I would opt for an easy wardrobe of

3 Shorts (black, knacki, navy)

1 pair of dressy pants or skinny jeans(black or white)

3 Sundresses (one that could be dressed up with some fun jewelry)

4 tanks/tshirts

3 nicer mix and match shirts/blouses

4 bras

6 panties (nylon/silk that washes in the sink)

2 bathing suits (if you wear bikini or two pieces then make sure they mix and match)

1 sarong

3 Shoes (1 casual sandal/flip flop, 1 dressy sandal (wear with skinny jeans or dressy night, 1 athletic shoe)

1 makeup bag

1 jewelry roll

I always take one suitcase for any trip under a month . For five days it would be a carry on size suitcase and a small bag with medicines , my hair dryer & a kindle . I pack double duty clothes . A sundress can be worn to dinner & then again for touring the next day .

Ok not only how many do you take but what size, I am looking for new luggage and I am leaning towards the hardsided luggage but not sure what size but I am leaning towards a 24 or 25in case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.;)

Ok not only how many do you take but what size, I am looking for new luggage and I am leaning towards the hardsided luggage but not sure what size but I am leaning towards a 24 or 25in case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.;)

It all depends on whether or not you usually fly to port. If you do, then weight is what matters more than size. There can be as much as 5-8 pounds difference in different suitcases of the same size. A 28 inch suitcase fully packed, even a "lightweight" one, can easily weigh well over 50 pounds. So make sure you check the weight on any luggage you're considering. On some airlines, it costs more to check 1 overweight bag than it does to check 2 "within weight allowance" bags. For long (21-34 nights) cruises, we've taken 1 28" bag carefully packed with lighter weight stuff, 1 medium duffle packed with heavier items, and 2 small carry-ons. If we're not flying, we might indulge ourselves and bring a garment bag for dressy clothes.

Do not fear - overpacking can be cured!! The first step is admitting it... :D We are here to help! :)

I find that the best way of not overpacking is to, rather than find bags to fit all the stuff I want to bring, is to decide what bag (note singular) I am bringing, and then only bring what I can fit into said bag - no more! Really, for that length of trip, you only need 1 bag + personal item (purse or equivalent). For 2 adults, you could combine in one large suitcase or go with two smaller bags/carryons. It can be done!

Short cruises under 10 days we take a small carry-on 20" each

Anything over that we take one 26" rolling bag each & 1 small carry on for meds & electronics

We have done this for cruises up to 32 days so far

Well it depends on what you consider necessary. For 5 day Caribbean cruise with very casual ports of call I would opt for an easy wardrobe of

3 Shorts (black, knacki, navy)

1 pair of dressy pants or skinny jeans(black or white)

3 Sundresses (one that could be dressed up with some fun jewelry)

4 tanks/tshirts

3 nicer mix and match shirts/blouses

4 bras

6 panties (nylon/silk that washes in the sink)

2 bathing suits (if you wear bikini or two pieces then make sure they mix and match)

1 sarong

3 Shoes (1 casual sandal/flip flop, 1 dressy sandal (wear with skinny jeans or dressy night, 1 athletic shoe)

1 makeup bag

1 jewelry roll

Wow, that is easy, but for me, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than I would ever pack.

So, you see, it really is up to the traveler. You just have to decide what your itinerary is going to be like and know that you still probably wont wear all that you packed.

I did 3 weeks in England in the fall in a carry on with gifts packed in there to take to friends that live there. I can do a beach vacation in a back pack. LOL

You're definitely overpacking! I only take one suitecase and a small carry-on backpack.

You don't need that many pairs of shoes, make sure all of your clothes are mix/match so that you can make multiple outfits out of your items.

You won't like this. We would both take one carry on bag each.

We pack the same for a six week trip as we do for a one week trip. We just got tired of lugging all that stuff only to return home and find out the we did not use it or could have easily done without it. Over the years we simply kept cutting and cutting. Taking less is so very liberating. Try it.

Edited by iancal

If flying, especially on an airline that charges extra for luggage, then I pack light. But we usually drive to Galveston for our cruises, so we each take one large luggage bag and one garment bag. Plus one carry on for boarding and also for leaving (because we place our luggage in the hall the night before). There is plenty of space in the cabin to unload these, and plenty of room under the bed to store these.

Last time for a 7-night cruise we had one 24" for both of us, one carry-on with meds, glasses, etc... and my purse of course.

I have found with packing it is not how much you pack but what you pack. I have developed over the years a 'holiday' wardrobe. When I find a piece of clothing that can mixed and matched, does not crease and can be rolled up into a small roll, I buy it. Especially for evening wear, a single base item with interchangeable tops, jewellery etc - eg a classic pair of black pants or a skirt can make a big difference. I am often spoilt for choice because I have been able to pack in a small space a staggering number of formal combinations, depending on my mood. Not to mention they have the advantage of washing easily and drip drying.

My biggest packing problem is shoes - so now I use a similar principle. Lightweight and able to be worn with various outfits. One evening pair, two pairs of low heels for the day and a pair of thongs (I believe you call them flop flops in the US or something similar). Then I wear when travelling my heavier lace up sports shoes. Another trick, stuff socks, stockings or underwear in your shoes and that also assists in space saving.

My favourite travelling piece is a knee length black jersey skirt that has a lace overlay. It can be squished up to a teeny tiny roll and when unpacked looks perfect. So choose a base colour and co-ordinate everything around it - for me it is blue and white for day wear and black and jewel tones for evening.

We leave Jan1 or Jan 2. Our cruise is Feb. 20. Rest of the time in Thailand and Malaysia. One 18", one 20" carry on (both rollers), and DW's big purse. That's it. For us, any more would be too much especially when we plan to travel between islands. And a second cruise in March is a possibility. No waiting for bags, no missing bags, and very easy for land travel.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruises were 'short' cruises of less than a week. We each had one non-wheeled carryon. And that included our formal clothes.

Edited by NMLady

I took a 5 day with 1 day pre and 1 day post (so 7 days total) last november. For two of us, we each only had a carry on.

The key? I stopped at a walgreeens and purchased all our tolietries before boarding the ship. Saved a ton of room in the carry-on. ( I had actually saved all my bonus points at walgreens for this trip, and used them to purchase, so it didn't cost me anything.)

I even go souviniers in the bags on the trip home!

Anything that I thought we needed for the cruise (baskets for sunglasses, keycards, money, etc) I purchased at the dollar store so I wouldn't feel bad about throwing it away before coming home.

Another space saver is that I always wear pants/jeans/shorts twice before washing (as long as they are clean), so I only had to pack 4 pair for the trip. I only pack exactly enough shirts for the days gone, figuring that if I do have a spill, I will most likely buy a tshirt somewhere anyway, so I'll have a spare.

Challenge yourself to find new ways of space saving and alternative packing. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in a carryon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums