Venice Italy hotel recommendation

Husband & I are cruising Splendour of the Seas in June out of Venice, IT. Any recommendation for hotels in Venice for the 3 nights we'll be there prior to the cruise? Also welcome any advice on Venice sightseeing & excursion selection on this cruise if you have taken it (Turkey, Croatia, Santorina, etc) Thanks!

We stayed in the Bonvecchiati in 2012, near St. Marks Square, and last year the Best Western Hotel Olimpia, just off Piazzale Roma. The Olimpia is much less expensive and the breakfast buffet was just as good. As for touring, get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He tells you what there is to do, how much of it you can do in the time you have in port, and how to do it yourself, from gangway to gangway. He also has free audio tours for ipod and mp3 on his website, and you can print out maps to go with. Available for Rome, Florence, Venice...Pompeii.

Since you are spending 3 nights in Venice prior to your cruise, I also recommend Rick Steves' Venice. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I too have stayed at the Hotel Olimpia (it's a Best Western property) in Venice, and was very happy with the hotel, it's location, the breakfast buffet, and the hotel staff, and the price. Hotels in Venice are quite pricy, but there's nothing like staying right IN Venice, instead of staying on the mainland and having to travel back and forth to spend time in the city of Venice.

The biggest benefit of the location of the Olimpia to me was it's proximity to the Piazzale Roma, which is the transportation hub of Venice. It's where the buses from the airport bring you, and where the People Mover to the port is located. Being close to the P. Roma is important becuse of having to get yourself AND your luggage to your hotel. To get to the Olimpia only requires you to schlep your luggage across one relatively small bridge across a canal.

Be sure to check out the board for Italy, as someone else suggested. When I was preparing to go to Venice for a cruise for the very first time, it was an invaluable resource.

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bisanzio..........it was a great location just off the grand canal and a short walk to St. Marks square. They have a water taxi door and a vaparetto stop just outside the door.

We spent 3 days there and bought day passes to go over to Murano and Burano on our own.

We had never been to Europe before so we took mostly Carnival excursions in Turkey and Greece. But we did walk the old city in Croatia and Rhodes and went on a private booked day tour in Naples, going to Pompeii, Positano, Almalfi Coast, Sorrento...........

We stayed at the Ca’Doge in Piazzale Roma this past September. It is a very small hotel almost more like a B&B than a hotel. The location was perfect. We did not have to haul our luggage over any steps. We took a bus from the airport and it dropped us off just steps from the hotel. The people mover was also right there so when it was time to go to the ship we only had to cross the street. It was also an easy walk to the water taxis. The room was large (a little rustic) and very clean. Breakfast was nothing special but we didn't go hungry.

The ONLY negative we found was that it didn't have an elevator. We were on our first cruise and I had WAY over packed. I regretted it after having to haul luggage up to the fourth floor. We would stay there again.

http://cadoge.hotelinvenice.com/

We stayed in the Bonvecchiati in 2012, near St. Marks Square, and last year the Best Western Hotel Olimpia, just off Piazzale Roma. The Olimpia is much less expensive and the breakfast buffet was just as good. As for touring, get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He tells you what there is to do, how much of it you can do in the time you have in port, and how to do it yourself, from gangway to gangway. He also has free audio tours for ipod and mp3 on his website, and you can print out maps to go with. Available for Rome, Florence, Venice...Pompeii.

Since you are spending 3 nights in Venice prior to your cruise, I also recommend Rick Steves' Venice. EM

I also stayed at the Hotel Bonvecchiati. It's a beautiful property in a great location. One thing I appreciated is that I found it very easy to get turned around and lost in Venice, but the hotel was always an easy find for me.

I loved wandering the Rialto Market in the morning. And, of course, a gondola ride is a must.

I stayed at the Hotel Grand Canal last summer and I can't begin to tell you how pleased I was. Beautiful rooms and excellent service.

It's on the opposite end of the Island from St Marks which is a good thing because of less crowds.

Venice is a DIY city. Walking around exploring is half the fun.

A bit of warning..hotel prices in Venice during the summer are very expensive. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
I too have stayed at the Hotel Olimpia (it's a Best Western property) in Venice, and was very happy with the hotel, it's location, the breakfast buffet, and the hotel staff, and the price. Hotels in Venice are quite pricy, but there's nothing like staying right IN Venice, instead of staying on the mainland and having to travel back and forth to spend time in the city of Venice.

The biggest benefit of the location of the Olimpia to me was it's proximity to the Piazzale Roma, which is the transportation hub of Venice. It's where the buses from the airport bring you, and where the People Mover to the port is located. Being close to the P. Roma is important becuse of having to get yourself AND your luggage to your hotel. To get to the Olimpia only requires you to schlep your luggage across one relatively small bridge across a canal.

Be sure to check out the board for Italy, as someone else suggested. When I was preparing to go to Venice for a cruise for the very first time, it was an invaluable resource.

I'm staying at the Olimpia in Sept and wondering if we should take a water taxi from the airport, bus or taxi. There are 4 of us traveling together. My concern is the bridge to hotel. If we each have 2 pieces of luggage how difficult would it be to maneuver. We are are in good physical condition.

I'm staying at the Olimpia in Sept and wondering if we should take a water taxi from the airport, bus or taxi. There are 4 of us traveling together. My concern is the bridge to hotel. If we each have 2 pieces of luggage how difficult would it be to maneuver. We are are in good physical condition.

from PRoma the single bridge to cross is about 4 steps up a flat platform then 4 steps down-with 4 of you and in good condition you will manage fine

the bus from the airport is about 7 euros and drops off at P Roma-about 30euros for your party as opposed to 100euros for a water taxi

not sure of cost of regular taxi-think have seen about 40euros but don't know whether would be able to fit 8 suitcases