Tuscan Garden, err Grill's new menu

Kevnzworld

$25 is a reasonable price for an "upcharged" meal.

Similarly, The Pinnacle on HAL is only $29, and you can get great steaks there.

I have been sailing Celebrity exclusively for several years now.

Back about 5 years ago the upcharge on NCL and Holland was similar to Celebrity.

Now Celebrity is 2X.

Have the other lines not been raising their specialty restaurant prices?

Don't understand how Celebrity can be charging their outrageous prices if the others still charge $25-$30 pp.:confused:

Holy cow...this and some of the other recent threads is making me really wonder about our cruise choice. This is our first time on Celebrity. I talked it up to the husband and said this was a step up from Royal food-wise. We generally eat almost exclusively in the specialty restaurants on Royal and NCL and have had some very memorable outstanding meals. One or two nights max in the MDR. Was really looking forward to some great dining on Silhouette. What have I gotten us into??

Hi,:) I have been sailing with Celebrity for quite a few years and I haven't

commented much lately on all the threads I have been reading about

how terrible some of the experiences people seem to be having.:eek:

I am not going to say if someone had a bad meal or not, because I was

not on their cruise or having their meal.....but I will tell you, message

boards can be both a saint and a sinner......things can be greatly

exaggerated on the internet. And if someone else says they had

a great cruise? Well, some folks may say "the rose colored glasses"

are on....the net can be such a funky medium.

My most recent cruise was in Feb for 11 nights on CENTURY. I ate in

the main dining room 8 out of 11 nights....2 nights I went to Murano

with friends from the roll call. I know ALL 5 of us enjoyed our meals

very much. I will speak for them because we dined together:)

One bad meal in the main dining room......we all said it was bad.....

but other than that? Personally, I thought the food was very good.

The 3rd opt out of the dining room I ate with 2 friends in their suite.

I hope you enjoy Sihlouette very much. I sailed her last year and had

a great time....food was really good on that cruise:D.....I would not

worry too much but I do understand your post....it can be a bit

disheartening reading so much negative stuff.

I will be on Reflection in November and will see first hand if things

have gone downhill.....I will post an honest assessment upon my

return too.

Edited by Lois R

ghstudio -

Are you a Penn grad?

I remember going to Pagano's in the mid 70's with my DW of 35 years for a "snack" of spaghetti.

Yes, Philly has better restaurants than Pagano's - it did even 40 years ago.

Ever go to Bookbinders? Over priced but good food :)

Guilty :) I recall ordering a pizza for my roommate's birthday with "happy birthday" spelled out in anchovies....excellent spaghetti.

Yes I ate at both bookbinders. It was good, not outstanding. It's now expensive and not outstanding as I understand...

My favorite "restaurant" was Lee's of Cheltenham...not the current chain, but the original...great hoagies.

Holy cow...this and some of the other recent threads is making me really wonder about our cruise choice. This is our first time on Celebrity. I talked it up to the husband and said this was a step up from Royal food-wise. We generally eat almost exclusively in the specialty restaurants on Royal and NCL and have had some very memorable outstanding meals. One or two nights max in the MDR. Was really looking forward to some great dining on Silhouette. What have I gotten us into??

Don't worry:) When you get on that beautiful ship you will wonder what all the people are fussing about:D You will have a wonderful cruise on my favourite ship!

Truth is, you won't know until you try it. The physical restaurant doesn't change but the chefs, the waiters and the maitre d' all change and the food quality delivered to the ship also varies. We have had B2B cruises with lousy food on the first one and excellent food on the second. Generally speaking, you're going to have very good food no matter where you eat. However, you may get a bad meal or bad waiter or bad chef who thinks the only seasoning is salt (we had one of these in blu on one cruise).

I've traveled with Kevin, the OP....he's not one to be negative and he cruises a great deal...and knowing him, I trust his observations. But it might just have been his cruise and his experience. Your experience will most likely be different....different people make for a very different experience.

Having moved from RCI to X the food is a step up across the board. We have no regrets with making the move. As I stated above we have dined six times in Tuscan on two cruises and other than a bad ribeye the food and service was very good.

Edited by cruisingator2

You don't say how soon you are cruising on Solstice. If the same chef is on your cruise as was on ours Apr 28, I don't think you have to worry. We had eaten in Blu on the last 3 cruises so we were worried about the MDR food (based on the recent posts here). We found the MDR food better than what we'd had years ago. We were in Select Dining and near the end of the cruise we happened to get a table in Adil's section. He was outstanding. We had made a reservation for TG and could only get the last night of the cruise. When we found the MDR food so much better than we anticipated, we cancelled our reservation at TG. We have previously enjoyed Tuscan on Equinox and went twice on the same cruise. However, the second time DH sent back his steak but everything else was great. Someone on our cruise reported that Tuscan was wonderful. I hope this helps and that you enjoy your cruise, especially the food!

We had a wonderful dining experience on Solstice from Hawaii to Vancouver, BC. MDR was good and Tuscan was great. I am now nervous on what is going on to downgrade that experience. We are on the Eclipse in November and may eat in the cafeteria????? I hope my concerns are unfounded!!!

You don't say how soon you are cruising on Solstice. If the same chef is on your cruise as was on ours Apr 28, I don't think you have to worry. We had eaten in Blu on the last 3 cruises so we were worried about the MDR food (based on the recent posts here). We found the MDR food better than what we'd had years ago. We were in Select Dining and near the end of the cruise we happened to get a table in Adil's section. He was outstanding. We had made a reservation for TG and could only get the last night of the cruise. When we found the MDR food so much better than we anticipated, we cancelled our reservation at TG. We have previously enjoyed Tuscan on Equinox and went twice on the same cruise. However, the second time DH sent back his steak but everything else was great. Someone on our cruise reported that Tuscan was wonderful. I hope this helps and that you enjoy your cruise, especially the food!

We are going back in September. All my coworkers and friends know I love to cruise so they are always asking my advice. Even though we live in San Francisco, when we got the premium beverage package and gratuities included, we quickly jumped ship with Princess. They wanted a special cruise and the S class is the most special ship I could think of booking.

We are not really foodies but wanted to avoid the formal wear so figured the 3 dinner package was the way to go....all in our group agreed. Glad to hear I am probably not giving them all bad advice. I will definitely steer them clear of the steak in the Tuscan Grill and the lamb in Muranos, though.

I may still pass out my waiver -- hahaha! If you don't like the food, not my fault; if you get sea sick, not my fault; if you found someone else got a better price, not my fault; if your cabin rattles / squeaks, not my fault; if you don't like your tour or your flight was delayed, or if the beverage package has declined, etc -- all not my fault. hahaha!! I still think cruising is my favorite mode of vacationing. You did ease my mind, though....thank you for that!

I just exited the Reflection transatlantic a week ago. I visited Tuscan Grill and noticed that they have changed their menu and my favorite dish, the grilled tuna with olive tapenade is gone. They now have a choice of proteins with a choice of sauce, ala Olive Gardens pick your pasta and sauce menu.

There isn't a chicken option, only steak and fish. I ordered the Barimundi, with the only sauce available for fish. The fish was thin and soggy, and the sauce tasted like it was from jar.

My partner ordered a ribeye steak. It had no flavor and was about a 1/2 inch thick. When the host asked us about our meal, she mentioned the poor quality of the cut of meat. The reply was that Celebrity had a new meat vendor...would she like two steaks on top of each other to make it thicker? She was joking of course, but it wasn't funny.

Keep in mind that we sail on Celebrity a lot, we are both Elite plus and we are very familiar with the evolution of the food on Celebrity.

It feels like the menu is now dumbed down like the Lawn Grill, so that even the most inexperienced of cooks can prepare the items.

This is unacceptable for a restaurant that charges $40 pp and for a cruise line that promotes it's cuisine....

We have a speciality package booked which means eating in Tuscan twice. I'm not that keen on steak or pasta but was looking forward to chicken. I would expect most restaurants to offer a chicken dish. If Celebrity are reading this please consider giving a chicken option.

Quite frankly I really don't care what past passengers feel, or felt, about Celebrity. 2004 is in the past. I care about me and what my experience is now in 2014...and it is just fine. Please do not denigrate that.

....and I merely added the bit about eating at good restaurants in my first post, to pre-empt the posters who would assume that my usual level of dining is just below that Applebees.

I expressed my experience and I said I hoped celebrity did not denigrate the experience more. Maybe you thought I was denigrating your experience, but it was not my intention. I was expressing mine.

I also commented on the fact that no food is what it once was and I did not expect that. So it seems to me we agreed on this point.

We went to the Tuscan last year on the Silhouette and enjoyed our dinner very, very much. Great food, atmosphere and service.

Does anyone remember if the lobster or crab alfredo (don't remember which it was) is still on the menu? We will be eating there this Friday evening and I have been dreaming of a side of this.

We went to the Tuscan last year on the Silhouette and enjoyed our dinner very, very much. Great food, atmosphere and service.

Does anyone remember if the lobster or crab alfredo (don't remember which it was) is still on the menu? We will be eating there this Friday evening and I have been dreaming of a side of this.

Hi Floralscent,

We sailed on Eclipse last month, and the lobster alfredo was available at Tuscan, and was excellent.

Here's a link to my Tuscan Review : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42664068&postcount=135

Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Very interesting to read the OP's comments. I'm certainly not doubting what Kevnzworld experienced, but this was not the case on Eclipse last month. I can only hope they are trying some new things out, and see what clicks with their guests.

With that said, I hope they aren't considering downgrading the menu, while increasing the price. You cant have it both ways Celebrity. If the food quality declines, I'd expect to see the specialty venues lose customers, or they may be forced to offer additional onboard discounts - especially in light of the latest round of price increases. As much as we love specialty dining, the pricing is high. I realize that I'm probably in the minority, but I remain willing to pay the increased price, but ONLY as long as the dining experience is not downgraded. As a matter of fact, I'd hope to see an upgrade in the dining experience for the higher price. Makes sense to me, but Celebrity may see it differently.

I'd be very sad, if Celebrity ruined Tuscan's dining experience, as I've always looked forward to our visits, as it's usually a highlight of our cruise. As mentioned earlier, let's hope what's being reported on Reflection, is a tryout, and not a permanent change.

We were just on the Reflection in January and I found the food to be even more mediocre than a few years back on Solstice (which was also a mediocre dining experience). Some people get angry when I say this but if your palate is satisfied with Olive Garden and Applebees you will find the food on Celebrity today to be excellent. It is sad where they are going with the quality of their food. Damn sad.

There are 7 of us booked on Equinox in the Fall and we are considering ditching our reservation as a result.

Hi Everyone,

Very interesting to read the OP's comments. I'm certainly not doubting what Kevnzworld experienced, but this was not the case on Eclipse last month. I can only hope they are trying some new things out, and see what clicks with their guests.

With that said, I hope they aren't considering downgrading the menu, while increasing the price. You cant have it both ways Celebrity. If the food quality declines, I'd expect to see the specialty venues lose customers, or they may be forced to offer additional onboard discounts - especially in light of the latest round of price increases. As much as we love specialty dining, the pricing is high. I realize that I'm probably in the minority, but I remain willing to pay the increased price, but ONLY as long as the dining experience is not downgraded. As a matter of fact, I'd hope to see an upgrade in the dining experience for the higher price. Makes sense to me, but Celebrity may see it differently.

I'd be very sad, if Celebrity ruined Tuscan's dining experience, as I've always looked forward to our visits, as it's usually a highlight of our cruise. As mentioned earlier, let's hope what's being reported on Reflection, is a tryout, and not a permanent change.

Hi Andy-

Agree with you completely!! We've always really enjoyed Tuscan and would be disappointed if the OP's experience is now the norm.... Hope Celebrity is listening to you!!

Gracie

Some people get angry when I say this but if your palate is satisfied with Olive Garden and Applebees you will find the food on Celebrity today to be excellent. .

Haven't been satisfied with Olive Garden and/or Applebees in about 2 decades.... but found Blu's food to be fine and quite enjoyable and a vast improvement over either of those.......... to each his/her own ....

I find Kevin's report and those by others on the Tuscan Grill both interesting and distressing. However, even though I was thinking about booking the specialty restaurant package, these reviews have been very helpful and I will likely not be doing that for upcoming cruises on the Solstice and Eclipse in 2014.

Wife and I went to the Tuscan grill in 2012 on the Silhouette and I made the mistake of ordering "Black Sea Bass"...................We live in NC and I know whatever fish I was given was NOT what the menu said. The fish (1/2 filet) was thin, tiny and overcooked............in other words really, really bad.

I was later told by others that the Tuscan specializes in steak as well as Italian dishes and I should have ordered the filet or ribeye. NOW, it seems that the ribeye steak has gone over the cliff as well and if they don't cook the filet medium rare I won't order that either

So with prices up and quality apparently down.................its a no brainer to avoid the specialties and maybe its time for us to go back to RCI or HAL. We did the 3 restaurant package on the Allure of the Seas and had a very very nice experience for a reasonable cost in all 3 of the venues. Starting to look like wife and I will be just short of Elite after our cruises this year and may never make it to that level with Celebrity racing to the bottom of the barrel

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Was on the Equinox recently and had a horrible meal at the Tuscan Grill. Yes, unfortunately the lobster alfredo was still on the menu but I wish it hadn't been. It was the one of the worst meals I had on the cruise, and the worst inattentive service I've experienced in quite some time. I took our complaints to the Maitre'd and she refunded our money. I don't think I'll ever eat there again.

We had a far superior dinner in Murano, and the rest of our dinners were in Blu. We definitely enjoyed the atmosphere and the wonderful service in Blu; however, I have to say I have never had poorer cuts of meat on a cruise. I do enjoy a good steak and none of them were good. They were thin and tough to cut. The Caesar salads were just awful and tasteless. I never thought I'd actually have to ask to have garlic added to a Caesar salad. Others around us had to ask the same.

What gives, Celebrity? Cutting corners on quality of meat and inconsistent preparation of food is not going to win you any fans. Leave that to the discount cruise lines. Please.

Hi Everyone,

Andy, keep in mind Celebrity now offers Speciality Dining Packages which lower the price of each restaurant quite a bit.

To be honest, my husband had perhaps the worst meal ever on a cruise in the Tuscan Grill on the Constellation mid March. I doubt we'll ever return.

Hope you and your family are all doing well.

Katie

I feel the exact same way. lol Although I must say, I do find the negativity helpful at times. I usually do a 5 package for the specialty restaurants but now? Not a chance. I will do Qsine when it is discounted and other than that, the mdr.

Will be on Equinox in around a month from now.

We booked the 3 night dining package. This thread has convinced me - Just cancelled the package.

Plan to stick with the MDR until specialty dining cost vs experience are more in tune. Maybe empty tables will get the message across.

Guess it was a competing advertising website.

here is a pic of the now extinct "Grand Brunch":

http://www.the-chesapeake.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Mercury-brunch-in-Manhattan-Dining-Room.jpg[/

I notice the lady in the picture has her finger in her mouth as if she's tasting something. This picture just drives home the point of why many don't like or refuse to eat at buffets. :eek:

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought she was picking...oh, well.:eek:

On the recent Eclipse TA while waiting for an Aqua table, we could not help but notice the empty tables in the Tuscan Grill on most nights.

I don't doubt that X won awards years ago for its food, but I do have to wonder why. We took two cruises in the early 1990s and found the food to be lacking and the waiters to be unskilled. So we stayed with our favorites at the time-Princess and HA. Five years ago we took a short Celebrity cruise and found to our joy that the food had improved and the staff was far more professional. Though we have deviated at times, Celebrity became our "go to" cruise line. But suddenly on at least certain ships the cuisine has taken a dive. I have been served food in the MDR that would never be plated in the worst restaurants and in Aqua a lobster tail was so tough and overcooked that it was virtually inedible. My venison in Murano was terribly overdone. I know other diners had similar complaints. More and more, I think the buffet is the best bet. But the ships seem to be quite full, so I guess X figures it can get away with it. The constant influx of new passengers apparently will more than make up for the loss of more experienced(and demanding) cruisers. We've one more X cruise booked. Past that point we probably will consider finding a new favorite.

Edited by BosoxI

I just exited the Reflection transatlantic a week ago. I visited Tuscan Grill and noticed that they have changed their menu and my favorite dish, the grilled tuna with olive tapenade is gone. They now have a choice of proteins with a choice of sauce, ala Olive Gardens pick your pasta and sauce menu.

There isn't a chicken option, only steak and fish. I ordered the Barimundi, with the only sauce available for fish. The fish was thin and soggy, and the sauce tasted like it was from jar.

My partner ordered a ribeye steak. It had no flavor and was about a 1/2 inch thick. When the host asked us about our meal, she mentioned the poor quality of the cut of meat. The reply was that Celebrity had a new meat vendor...would she like two steaks on top of each other to make it thicker? She was joking of course, but it wasn't funny.

Keep in mind that we sail on Celebrity a lot, we are both Elite plus and we are very familiar with the evolution of the food on Celebrity.

It feels like the menu is now dumbed down like the Lawn Grill, so that even the most inexperienced of cooks can prepare the items.

This is unacceptable for a restaurant that charges $40 pp and for a cruise line that promotes it's cuisine....

We were told during the galley tour that all of the beef for all of the food on board comes from the same source and they do their own butchering on board.

🐮