Flame Away ~ POA review

3Kittens

I don't know where you get "well documented" about the food. I was on the Breakaway in March. Loved tepanyaki and loved cagneys and LOVED the MDRs so let's document that.

I agree with you, was on the BA in dec 2013 and april 2014 found the food to be good in all food venues.

Search easily gives references to food

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42472296&postcount=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40812066&postcount=26

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40470810&postcount=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37338031&postcount=18

Enough on the food badgering.

chengpk72- I think you are the poster that explained the new requirement for the type of fuel and the system required to burn it. That was very informative, and certainly answers the reasons why all cruise costs will escalate. Guess it's a price we pay to be more "responsible".

ok so that's four votes against the food on poa not all of ncl.If the ships have to serve thousands of people on board I'm not surprised that there may be some who aren't pleased with the food.

OP- thanks for your review. We were lucky enough to go on the POA back in 2007 when there were 3 NCL ships and the prices were about half what they are now. I was our first cruise, and first time to Hawaii, so we had no real expectations. We enjoyed ourselves,but honestly,decided cruising was not for us after that cruise. It took 4 years before we decided to try another cruise,and we are glad we did! The POA cruise is just so different than the other cruises we have been on. I will say, we were hardly on the ship...even got a hotel in Lahaina for the Maui overnighter. POA was basically a floating hotel for us, which worked well to see the islands. At least you were in a suite! We were in a BA balcony up front in the area where the suites are and it was sooooo small! The bathroom was ridiculous. Anyway, thanks for posting you recent experience!

Crazy:eek:

Interesting, and you are so correct about lawyers on speed dial.

So NCL Hawaiian cruise is not solely expensive, due to the Islands overall costs, but also due to crew unionized salaries?

The cost of the POA cruises is not only the crew cost, and really not because they are unionized. Sure, the unions drive up the cost for deck/engine salaries, but these account for only about 12% of the crew. It is the minimum wage laws, and overtime, that drive up the cost, as well as the required training and documentation for new crew. Stricter USCG regulations regarding safety equipment, training, and inspections is another factor. Most cruisers know that the USCG will inspect a cruise ship on a random basis, and the USCG's intent is to get to every ship twice a year, but due to budget constraints, rarely make it more than once a year. They require a full inspection (full day by 5-6 inspectors) once a year, and a crew drill to be witnessed by them 4 times a year.

Fuel has to be transported to Hawaii (my current company does this), so that raises the price (along with the fact that there is only one supplier of that fuel in the Islands). Food has to be shipped to the Islands, liquor, new bed linens, everything needed to run the ship must be shipped to the Islands first, raising the cost.

The base ticket cost for POA has not increased much since we started in Hawaii in 2004. However, due to overcapacity by NCL, and the 500% increase in capacity by the foreign ships from the West Coast, prices were driven to the point where NCL lost $172 million in 2008 and they took 2 ships away. Now, with capacity reduced, the prices stay stable, with little discounting.

Answers above. Edited - not liking the food is ok. Posting your opinion as fact isn't! I'd like to see the articles regarding the horrible food on NCL!

If you've missed the articles regarding food then that's great but I also have read about food being mediocre all the time. While I enjoyed the food on my cruise not everyone does. I also went on my cruise with NCL expecting terrible food from all the reviews I've read and was pleasantly surprised.

OP I hope you continue with your review of ports, hotels and any excursions. I enjoy reading everything not just the good

Thank you OP for posting your review.

I hope that you will continue.

Like someone else posted, some people are interested; please don't let the negative posters deter you!

As someone who has not sailed NCL yet & is booked on the POA, we are very interested in all experiences and opinions.

Honesty is much appreciated, despite the flames posters endure.

It is actually humorous how others comprehend what they read.

Glad you enjoyed some aspects of your cruise, the cabin sounds great!

I have also developed the idea that the food is mediocre on NCL by reading many NCL reviews on many of their ships.

Sure, not all reviewers have that opinion, but enough to lower my expectations.

Food is so very, very subjective.

We are not picky, so hoping for the best on that topic.

I think you are the poster that explained the new requirement for the type of fuel and the system required to burn it. That was very informative, and certainly answers the reasons why all cruise costs will escalate. Guess it's a price we pay to be more "responsible".

Just chiming in to say that POA was fitted with scrubbers last year, so she doesn't have to run the more expensive low sulphur fuel oil to meet the new 0.1% emission standards for 2015. NCL was certainly planning ahead since POA spends all of her time within the ECA's 200 nm limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have all read many reports of NCL food being bad.

I don't think it is bad, but I fail to understand why the OP should be grilled about the statement.

because the OP stated it is "Well Documented" she/he failed to say it is also "well documented" that people LIKE/LOVE the food. the way the OP wrote it was that noone likes the food at all. Thats how i read it.

This distinction about fact and opinions always amuses me as the language has certainly changed with times.

the OP says the food aboard POA is bad.

this is indeed a fact. it may sound subjective from the view point of another individual, but it was verified via personal experience. As such, to the OP, is a fact that the food aboard POA is bad.

Her opinion is that all food aboard all NCL ships are bad. This is not verified and merely a subjective statement that would be inferred from her one or two trips and potentially other threads.

Granted in law and in science, the word fact has a very real and distinct meaning, but in the context of an internet forum, I believe it's usage is abused at times =).

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

Just chiming in to say that POA was fitted with scrubbers last year, so she doesn't have to run the more expensive low sulphur fuel oil to meet the new 0.1% emission standards for 2015. NCL was certainly planning ahead since POA spends all of her time within the ECA's 200 nm limit.

Agreed, but it really wasn't an option for a ship that operates 100% of the time in the ECA. However, bunker fuel prices in Hawaii are about 30-40% higher than on the West Coast, even for the 3.5% sulfur fuel. I will have to check with my friend who's Chief on the POA to see what fuel they burn in the boiler, since that does not have a scrubber. And only 4 of 6 engines were fitted with scrubbers (probably to test cost effectiveness) at $1-1.5 million a copy.

Agreed, but it really wasn't an option for a ship that operates 100% of the time in the ECA. However, bunker fuel prices in Hawaii are about 30-40% higher than on the West Coast, even for the 3.5% sulfur fuel. I will have to check with my friend who's Chief on the POA to see what fuel they burn in the boiler, since that does not have a scrubber. And only 4 of 6 engines were fitted with scrubbers (probably to test cost effectiveness) at $1-1.5 million a copy.

Prices will only get worse if the rumors of Chevron shutting down their Hawaii refinery turn out to be true. That'll give Par (recently purchased Tesoro's refinery past year) a monopoly. Fuel politics in Hawaii were already interesting with the duopoly, I don't want to imagine what it would be like with one refinery calling the shots.

Since we're on the subject, how many DGs are typically used for those short overnight journeys between the islands?

Also, to address another issue the OP had, the channels between the Hawaiian islands are not know for being particularly calm. I'm not sure where that assumption came from, but it's not true. Waves are regularly in the 10-15 ft. range. When the local ferry was briefly in operation, it was a wild ride handling waves of that size at 30+ knots!

Prices will only get worse if the rumors of Chevron shutting down their Hawaii refinery turn out to be true. That'll give Par (recently purchased Tesoro's refinery past year) a monopoly. Fuel politics in Hawaii were already interesting with the duopoly, I don't want to imagine what it would be like with one refinery calling the shots.

Since we're on the subject, how many DGs are typically used for those short overnight journeys between the islands?

Also, to address another issue the OP had, the channels between the Hawaiian islands are not know for being particularly calm. I'm not sure where that assumption came from, but it's not true. Waves are regularly in the 10-15 ft. range. When the local ferry was briefly in operation, it was a wild ride handling waves of that size at 30+ knots!

When I was out there, Tesoro was the only game in town for residual heavy fuel. Not sure about Chevron's refinery, but it may have been a 3rd generation plant that distilled 95% of crude to light distillates (gas and diesel), and only left solid coke.

I believe they have revised the itinerary to save fuel, something we lobbied for unsuccessfully back in 2004. The Aloha used to go from the NaPali coast of Kauai to Kona on the big island, and that took 5 engines to get to warp speed. Most of the runs are 3-4 engine runs, but when an engine is taken out of service for overhaul (about 2 weeks), they may have some issues.

For someone who is not complaining you are pretty negative.

I get why so few people want to take the time and post a review. It seems like for every review theirs a bunch of people slamming the poster. Give it a rest and take everything with a grain of salt. Just because one person "Can't Believe It" doesn't mean it didn't happen. I like reading about the Good and Bad of what another person sees's Lets not forget they are Opinion's. God forbid anyone having a negative comment about NCL…..everyone goes ape sh!t

Edited by Laszlo

chengkp - great info as always! Thanks for sharing.

My MIL sailed the POA a number of years ago and swore off NCL as a result. She said that the staff wasn't friendly, helpful or competent. For the price paid they would just fly there next time (and have several times). It took a bit of effort for us to get her on the Jewel AK trip with us, and she said it was night and day. She's in love with cruising again. Just another point of view. Personally, I'd never pay that kind of cash for a cruise. I'd rather do a suite in Europe.

As for the food issue, let's just leave it at "the OP didn't like the food". Many of us have no issues with the food, and in fact, really have enjoyed our meals on NCL. Stating that the food is bad as a factual statement is wrong on a couple of levels (e.g., I can be fairly sure that the food wasn't spoiled), but let's take the OP's comment for what it was...as statement that they didn't care for the food. I don't think people are reacting to the OP's dissatisfaction with the food, but the unnecessary sweeping statement that this is somehow a known and universally shared sentiment.

OP - I hope you find your next cruise more to your liking

Edited by sdmike

I get why so few people want to take the time and post a review. It seems like for every review theirs a bunch of people slamming the poster. Give it a rest and take everything with a grain of salt. Just because one person "Can't Believe It" doesn't mean it didn't happen. I like reading about the Good and Bad of what another person sees's Lets not forget they are Opinion's. God forbid anyone having a negative comment about NCL…..everyone goes ape sh!t

Exactly why people should put reviews in the review section instead of the discussion board. After all, a review is nothing more than one person's opinion of that one person's experience. It is what it is and someone else's opinion really has no bearing.

A person can choose to put their review in the review section where their opinion can be published without criticism for anyone to read and enjoy.

OR...the can choose to put their review on the discussion boards where discussion (not total acceptance and agreement) is sure to follow.

If people don't like the discussion there is another alternative.

When I was out there, Tesoro was the only game in town for residual heavy fuel. Not sure about Chevron's refinery, but it may have been a 3rd generation plant that distilled 95% of crude to light distillates (gas and diesel), and only left solid coke.

I believe they have revised the itinerary to save fuel, something we lobbied for unsuccessfully back in 2004. The Aloha used to go from the NaPali coast of Kauai to Kona on the big island, and that took 5 engines to get to warp speed. Most of the runs are 3-4 engine runs, but when an engine is taken out of service for overhaul (about 2 weeks), they may have some issues.

I was under the impression Chevron produced HFO for ships, but I could be mistaken. Apparently refining costs in Hawaii are becoming prohibitively expensive, so there are some saying we'll ship in all of our oil already refined. If that's the case, we have a severe lack of storage capacity. Given the slow rate that Hawaii's gears turn for businesses, I doubt that'll be rectified any time soon.

Anyway, back on subject. I figured the loads for POA must be relatively low. I guess until they have scrubbers fitted to the last two, they'll occasionally have to use low sulphur fuel oil for maintenance. Not too bad compared to using it all the time for all of the DGs.

We sailed the Wind to Hawaii and Fanning Island which was a great time. It was a long time ago so I no longer remember if it was one sea day each way or not. I believe it was since the cruise was 10 days. Food is subjective and two people at the same table can share the same plate and one like the food and the other not. (Sometimes the DH and I share a taste of our menu choice) I am always curious what passengers say after a trip on POA as the opinions on the same sailing can be a vast divide on likes and dislikes.

SDMike your response was right on the money.

Some wage issues were resolved in a lawsuit that restored some DSC payments and overtime benefits to the crew, but the pay is still minimum wage.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the DSC issue. Do POA employees receive minimum wage PLUS a share of the DSC? Or in this a case where the DSC is deemed to be the property of the employER, and the employer can do whatever they please with it (in essence, a giant "tip credit")? Or is the situation even yet more complicated than that??? :-)

I'm guessing that the DSC on the POA is handled differently than on NCL's international fleet???

Thanks.

IMHO, one of the biggest mistakes NCL has made with the POA is trying to jam it into the same mold as the international ships. I've always felt that if they did some thinking outside the box, and highlight the "American experience" of the crew, creating an atmosphere more like a US resort than an international cruise ship, they might have more success with crew retention and guest satisfaction. Make it different, and advertise the difference, don't try to force a cross-cultural fit.

That's a really good idea. In a hotel you don't get turn down service and quite frankly is it all that necessary. If the cabin steward didn't have to do night work they would be happier and that would be reflected in their attitude. There are probably a lot of little places they could relieve the staff and not impact passenger enjoyment.

If the crew is union why are they at minimum wage? that doesn't compute.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the DSC issue. Do POA employees receive minimum wage PLUS a share of the DSC? Or in this a case where the DSC is deemed to be the property of the employER, and the employer can do whatever they please with it (in essence, a giant "tip credit")? Or is the situation even yet more complicated than that??? :-)

I'm guessing that the DSC on the POA is handled differently than on NCL's international fleet???

Thanks.

The DSC isn't much different on POA than other NCL ships. I seem to remember that there is a larger amount reserved for "crew welfare" as the POA has an "officer" status Crew Welfare Coordinator, who sets up parties, barbeques, raffles, etc. The US crew needs more outside help with this, the international crew is more self-sufficient.

Just like any tipped worker in the US, if the employee makes the equivalent of minimum wage through base wage and tips, the employer needs do nothing more. However, if the base wage plus tips (or DSC) does not meet minimum wage (through removal/reduction of DSC), then the employer must make up the difference.

In the international crew, the DSC is used by NCL to foster a team approach to guest service, as one poor performer affects a lot of crew. This has less effect on POA, because the company must make up the difference. However, the removal/reduction of DSC is more closely scrutinized on POA, and is used in employee appraisals, which are virtually unheard of in the international fleet.

Exactly why people should put reviews in the review section instead of the discussion board. After all, a review is nothing more than one person's opinion of that one person's experience. It is what it is and someone else's opinion really has no bearing.

You're absolutely correct, I should have posted it all at once in the 'review section". I guess we get carried away with relaying info (good or bad), and just start typing.

I noted Cubechick who is a very seasoned cruiser with NCL did the same.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35781521&postcount=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33953845&postcount=1

There was a really good review on the POA posted by ??Midnight Velvet?? (will see if I can refind it). She gave a great overall of her experience.

Greatlakesgirl did a more recent review with photos

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014664&highlight=poa

When I was doing my research I had difficulty getting photos of this cabin. If I can figure out how to upload, I will post.

Edited by 3Kittens

The approach to Hilo was quite pretty. High cliffs lined with houses. The occasionally waterfall barely visible spilling into the sea. A lovely car bridge.

Sea level is lush and rainforest like. The higher in elevation towards the Mountain, it becomes drier and cooler. Very pleasant relief.

We rented a car, pick up was easy and fast. (Shuttle at pier)

We toured on our own, but basically followed some of the same bus tour spots. Actually think we were in front of bus by one hour (they arrived at each spot as we were leaving).:D

We visited the National Volcano park. It was interesting. The view from Jagger Museum clear. The steam vents was a nice break to stretch the legs and grab a few shots. We walked thru the "bush" and lava tube. If you have any knee issues the walkway down into the tube and the stairs post tube, might be a bit tricky for you. It is quite wet inside, but not slippery.

We stopped in the village of Volcano for snacks, and enjoyed stepping back in time inside the little Chinese corner store.

It was a relaxing ride, did part of the Chain of Craters road. Did not go as far as you can.

Headed downtown and to see the Waterfalls. The downtown was a nice surprise. Almost left in time. It reminded me of downtown Nassau back in the 70's. I loved it.

Of course what would Hilo be without a stop at Hilo Hatties. Quickly did a bit of shopping of the "essentials"…. Hawaiian shirts and little girls pu'u skirts and tops.

Rental of car was once again quick and easy with use of the shuttle.

You're absolutely correct, I should have posted it all at once in the 'review section". I guess we get carried away with relaying info (good or bad), and just start typing.

I noted Cubechick who is a very seasoned cruiser with NCL did the same.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35781521&postcount=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33953845&postcount=1

There was a really good review on the POA posted by ??Midnight Velvet?? (will see if I can refind it). She gave a great overall of her experience.

Greatlakesgirl did a more recent review with photos

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014664&highlight=poa

When I was doing my research I had difficulty getting photos of this cabin. If I can figure out how to upload, I will post.

If you really want to see a great review, check out Cruising Goddess's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1406667

That's a really good idea. In a hotel you don't get turn down service and quite frankly is it all that necessary. If the cabin steward didn't have to do night work they would be happier and that would be reflected in their attitude. There are probably a lot of little places they could relieve the staff and not impact passenger enjoyment.

I actually have stayed in quite a few hotels that did provide turn down service ( I don't really like or need this but..) Anyways, I think you have a very good point here. Why not scale back some of the steward fluff jobs in the evening? Would it impact their overall salary? Maybe they could work longer day hours to make up for this?? And maybe they would be more rested and happy? Surely this would reflect on everyone?

But I'm sure the cruise lines have thought of all these angles.

The butler really is a (JUST MY OPINION) a waste of monies. I think they might really be a trouble shooter rather than an actual hands on worker?? Ours did nothing but chat, or look to see if we needed coffee. 3 nights she brought canapés. Once we asked for wine glasses, and the other time we asked for some fruit. Don't really think we should have had to ask for these, but it was no biggy for us. She was pleasant, and friendly. And not US born.