Is there NOTHING positive about Celebrity any more? (Threads Merged)

K.T.B.

Great archiving of comments but the fact is, the Celebrity Dining experience was far superior in the early 2000's than it is today.

That is simply a FACT.

Ditto! I would also add is was even better in the 80's and 90's.

Our first two cruises were in 1999 and 2001 on Mercury and Summit and I don't know that the food is all that much better now but the service was better than now just because the waiters/asst waiters had fewer tables, there were far more Sommeliers around ... it was a different experience than what you get now....

I'm not complaining about what we get now....just acknowledging that there is no question there is a difference.....

The complaints about the cutbacks on Celebrity are overwhelming. I don't drink. Having read all the comments about the recent changes to the classic drink packages, I wonder how many people will rebook with that package again. Celebrity has a lot to lose with this change. They may make more money on the front end, and lose bookings in the future. Getting guest upset with changes makes them rethink how to spend their vacation dollars.

[sarcasm on]

Oh yes, I remember the 80's and 90's I used to have to walk uphill in 5 feet of snow to school ....

and uphill 10 miles in 10 feet of snow on the way home.

Ah yes, I remember it well.

[sarcasm off]

The good old days and memories are always so much bigger in most peoples eyes. Same applies to old cruise memories I'd say as well. We forget over time the stuff that was insignificant and small, and just remember the good times and fun.

As well, the more things change, the more things stay the same, as with the prior posters listing of ding complaint threads thru the decades. :)

I just found an old pizza place I used to get pizza from in the late 80's. LOVED the place, remember the huge pizza me and 2 friends would split.

Called and ordered their biggest pizza, picked it up, thought it looked half size, asked the owner, he said, nope thats the same box we've used for the last 50 years.

Reality didn't match up to my fond memory.

If anyone is ever in little po-dunk town of Chesterland in Northeast Ohio/Geauga County, I highly recommend seeking out Guido's Pizza Haven in Chesterland on SR 306. Well worth it! It was a 45 minute drive home from there before I could enjoy that delicious pizza.

Edited by cle-guy

Your right, the poll your referring to is a good representation of those on CC who took it. Most people cruise go home and never read a review or write one. I know people who can't even remember the name of the ship they sailed on but they know if they liked the food or not.. I know that you don't want to hear anything negative about Celebrity so you and I will just have to agree to disagree on the food on the Summit. Again, I am referring to my trip May 11, 2014 and the roll out of their NEW buffet and the food in the main dining room. Im not sure, were you on that sailing? For the record I have said that the buffet was not good at all and the food in the MDR varied from ok to very good.

Food is subjective as far as taste but cold , pre plated , dried out food, no one liked...

I have no problem hearing something bad about Celebrity, but it seems as though some don't want to hear anything positive, like the MDR food poll, where it is overwhelmingly positive. Just as you didn't like the food, there have been reports of others who did (on the same cruise). It is just a difference of opinion, expectations and experience...neither one of the opinions are right or wrong, just different. No, I wasn't on that sailing and I'm not (nor is everyone) specifically speaking about that one cruises; people are talking (with regard to the poll) about their cruises and the fact that they thought the food was great. I'm sure you will agree, that their opinions are just as valued as yours is.

I'm really sorry you didn't like the food on your cruise and I can only hope that it is better on your next cruises, whether on Celebrity or another line.

Good sailing to you.

Possibly some customers will leave, but there will always be a new customer to replace them. Or there are current customers like me that has two more cruises booked. Celebrity, as far as I'm concerned, is and has always been a great cruise line.

BTW, in one of your other posts you said they were no serving fish, chicken or meat in Aqua Cafe, what kind of protein are they now serving, because we all need our protein. Thanks for answering.

I have no problem hearing something bad about Celebrity, but it seems as though some don't want to hear anything positive, like the MDR food poll, where it is overwhelmingly positive. Just as you didn't like the food, there have been reports of others who did (on the same cruise). It is just a difference of opinion, expectations and experience...neither one of the opinions are right or wrong, just different. No, I wasn't on that sailing and I'm not (nor is everyone) specifically speaking about that one cruises; people are talking (with regard to the poll) about their cruises and the fact that they thought the food was great. I'm sure you will agree, that their opinions are just as valued as yours is.

I'm really sorry you didn't like the food on your cruise and I can only hope that it is better on your next cruises, whether on Celebrity or another line.

Good sailing to you.

OK, I never said I did not like the food, I said I did not like the new buffet concept that Celebrity is putting out there, I said the food in the MDR was ok to very good. I also stated that I loved the pizza, its mostly what we ate at lunch..I had a blast on my cruise, I love Celebrity but the buffet was awful and if we don't let Celebrity know, they may put that on all of their ships. Me, I want to hear the positive, it means my cruise line of choice is doing well.

Possibly some customers will leave, but there will always be a new customer to replace them. Or there are current customers like me that has two more cruises booked. Celebrity, as far as I'm concerned, is and has always been a great cruise line.

BTW, in one of your other posts you said they were no serving fish, chicken or meat in Aqua Cafe, what kind of protein are they now serving, because we all need our protein. Thanks for answering.

There was fish 2 or 3 days out of 7. One day there was quiche. I do not eat meat or poultry so did not notice if it was offered on days without fish.

I don't know which cruise the OP was on where they didn't serve meat, chicken or fish in the Aqua Spa cafe. I was on Solstice just a little over 2 weeks ago and they served two hot entrees each day as well as other cold entrees with salmon, shrimp or chicken in them. The hot entrees I had were Arctic Char in a lemon sauce (wonderful), Salmon in Miso sauce on Pea Shoots and the Thai pork wrap. All were very good and they seemed to repeat them every 3 days.

I am just answering NLH Arizona's question and I, too, am wondering why start another thread about complaints. We are up to our necks in them already.

OK, I never said I did not like the food, I said I did not like the new buffet concept that Celebrity is putting out there, I said the food in the MDR was ok to very good. I also stated that I loved the pizza, its mostly what we ate at lunch..I had a blast on my cruise, I love Celebrity but the buffet was awful and if we don't let Celebrity know, they may put that on all of their ships. Me, I want to hear the positive, it means my cruise line of choice is doing well.

When I posted about the poll to another poster who was concerned about the food on their upcoming cruise, your reply to me was (post #155): 73.56% of Cruise Critic Members doesn't rally tell us what the average cruiser thinks! We found the MDR food to be ok to good at best… And this is how our debate started between you and I, with regard to the poll and MDR food.

Let me rephrase my comment to you then: I'm sorry you didn't like the buffet on your last cruise, I hope your buffet experience is much better on your next cruise, whether it be Celebrity or another line.

Good sailing.

Edited by NLH Arizona

There was fish 2 or 3 days out of 7. One day there was quiche. I do not eat meat or poultry so did not notice if it was offered on days without fish.

Maybe it was just on the OP's cruise that they didn't serve a protein, hopefully he/she will respond and let us know the real deal. Thanks for your reply.

The complaints about the cutbacks on Celebrity are overwhelming. I don't drink. Having read all the comments about the recent changes to the classic drink packages, I wonder how many people will rebook with that package again. Celebrity has a lot to lose with this change. They may make more money on the front end, and lose bookings in the future. Getting guest upset with changes makes them rethink how to spend their vacation dollars.

I will book with the drink pkg any time it is offered!! Just because you don't drink doesn't mean it is of lesser value to someone else. Actually have you read all the comments? Celebrity has listened and has sorted the Classic Pkg and the rest will follow soon. PS I am not upset with any changes.

There’s many positives on Celebrity and I’ve written about many of them since returning from my recent cruise on SUMMIT.

However, when the line of “Modern Luxury” can’t execute food service at a buffet at the level of competence of a Golden Corrall or Old Country Buffet, well, that is not a positive.

Or if a pool grill cannot cook and serve burgers and hot dogs as good as an average McDonald’s can (i.e. freshness and crowd flow), well, that’s not a positive for Modern Luxury either.

Great MDR food, wonderful Butlers, cold towels upon returning to ship, a laid back crowd, nice MDR waiters, visible and friendly officers, friendly room stewards - those are all POSITIVES.

Now if only the assistant manager at my local McDonald’s can train the Summit pool grill team, and if only the folks at Golden Coralle can train the Summit Buffet team, we’d have more positives than we know what to do with.

When I posted about the poll to another poster who was concerned about the food on their upcoming cruise, your reply to me was (post #155): 73.56% of Cruise Critic Members doesn't rally tell us what the average cruiser thinks! We found the MDR food to be ok to good at best… And this is how our debate started between you and I, with regard to the poll and MDR food.

Let me rephrase my comment to you then: I'm sorry you didn't like the buffet on your last cruise, I hope your buffet experience is much better on your next cruise, whether it be Celebrity or another line.

Good sailing.

My next cruise is a 14 day on the Summit in Sept and I really hope that they decide to go back to the way they did things prior to May 11,2014, otherwise i will be eating lots of pizza for lunch.

There’s many positives on Celebrity and I’ve written about many of them since returning from my recent cruise on SUMMIT.

However, when the line of “Modern Luxury” can’t execute food service at a buffet at the level of competence of a Golden Corrall or Old Country Buffet, well, that is not a positive.

Or if a pool grill cannot cook and serve burgers and hot dogs as good as an average McDonald’s can (i.e. freshness and crowd flow), well, that’s not a positive for Modern Luxury either.

Great MDR food, wonderful Butlers, cold towels upon returning to ship, a laid back crowd, nice MDR waiters, visible and friendly officers, friendly room stewards - those are all POSITIVES.

Now if only the assistant manager at my local McDonald’s can train the Summit pool grill team, and if only the folks at Golden Coralle can train the Summit Buffet team, we’d have more positives than we know what to do with.

I agree, And our captain was the best ever at sea! Rumor says he's gong on vacation in August and then back to a S class ship. Anyone going on the Summit try not to miss his talk in the theater the last day at sea. He rivaled the comedian. Also Deb, the group coordinator for the connections get together will make herself available to you. With her help we actually planned a Martini tasting for our CC group on the last day at sea. It was great fun...

My son, Jordan Peterson, is the solo pianist/entertainer on the Summit....I think he is pretty awesome :)

and I've met Jordan Peterson and his parents and even rode in a cab to the Newark International Airport with them a year ago - great people

Scouser and Family

we're doing the Summit again in three weeks

We loved our first Celebrity cruise on Solstice in April (Transpacific). We appreciated the food (MDR & buffet), entertainment, activities, cabin, cleanliness, etc, so much that we have booked a Scandinavian cruise on Eclipse in July 2015. We positively enjoyed the Celebrity experience.

My next cruise is a 14 day on the Summit in Sept and I really hope that they decide to go back to the way they did things prior to May 11,2014, otherwise i will be eating lots of pizza for lunch.

Have a wonderful time (I'll be on the Summit in January) and please let us know if the buffet was any better.

We were just on the Century a month ago and the hot dogs and hamburgers were absolutely awesome! They were cooked to perfection: moist, juicy and decadent! Sure they take a bit longer, but it's worth the wait.

Even Host Andy recommends them, and recommended them to us prior to our sailing.

To all fellow cruisers...try the dogs and burgers and decide for yourself. Hint: Smother the dogs in grilled onions and spicy mustard for best effect :D

Edited by curtdesilets
clarification

We are considering a Baltics cruise on the Silhouette in 2015. We haven't been on Celebrity since 2007, so this thread has been very interesting. We have tried various lines over the years and aren't loyal to any one in particular, we book for itinerary and overall value. There certainly has been a decline on those we have repeated with respect to MDR offerings, dining room wait staff numbers, entertainment, extras like live music, flower arrangements, etc. Except for NCL! They have definitely improved since our cruise with them in 2004, except for the MDR food. However, the fares are so much better that it truly was affordable to eat in the specialty restaurants and still come out ahead. The officers were visible everywhere and regularly spoke with passengers. The crew were friendly and very helpful. The shows were terrific. And this was just a basic balcony on the NCL Sun, an older, smaller ship. We don't care about water slides, poolside loungers or the bar scene, so the smaller ships are fine for us.

(If you are interested, my signature link has a food-oriented Sun review).

Back to Celebrity.It has been 10 years since we sailed with them, so I don't remember a lot except that the MDR food and service was very good at the time. There were lots of floral arrangements too, but they were silk flowers, not real ones. No not a biggie, the only reason I remember it is that back then HAL had gorgeous flowers throughout the ship, so I noticed it. Funny what one remembers! I see now that Celebrity's specialty restaurants are quite expensive. Hoping that the MDR is still good! Will a basic balcony still provide us with an enjoyable Celebrity experience? Sounds like most of you think so, which is great.

Edited by QuattroRomeo

We were just on the Century a month ago and the hot dogs and hamburgers were absolutely awesome! They were cooked to perfection: moist, juicy and decadent! Sure they take a bit longer, but it's worth the wait.

Even Host Andy recommends them, and recommended them to us prior to our sailing.

To all fellow cruisers...try the dogs and burgers and decide for yourself. Hint: Smother the dogs in grilled onions and spicy mustard for best effect :D

I don’t doubt it at all. They were great on my previous Mercury cruises too.

But my Summit cruise last week? Not good. Post traumatic Pool Grille Syndrome kicked in.

I don’t doubt it at all. They were great on my previous Mercury cruises too.

But my Summit cruise last week? Not good. Post traumatic Pool Grille Syndrome kicked in.

On our B2B Cruise on the Summit March/April 2014 the couple of times we had hot dogs and hamburgers they were always good.