Dinner Attire

axel26

We just did 35 nights on Nautica ...

In the GDR & specialties, we saw quite a few men in tee shirts & cargo pants. Lots of shorts & tees at dinner in the Terrace Café.

Usually in the evening the women tended to be a little more dressed up than the men. Even in the Terrace Café, where everyone was little more casual, the women tended to be a little more dressed up than the men.

It was a lot more casual than I expected, not at all what I thought "country club casual" meant ...

Do you take a nightly inventory of what others are wearing? ROFL

I mean, I will sometimes recognize people I've seen earlier in a cruise, but I would be hard pressed to remember what they were wearing from one night to the next.

I'm not trying to answer for pinotlover but cannot resist responding. I certainly do not take inventory of what people are wearing...... however, certain things stand out like a sore thumb...... for instance, if you are wearing a clown costume, superman costume, shorts, ragged jeans, overalls (that look like they were last worn on a farm). Okay -- being facetious about clowns and superman costumes but was stunned to see ragged jeans and overalls on the Riviera. IMO, this is lack of respect. I wonder if people go to five star restaurants in overalls!? They probably do and I'm probably out of touch.

I grew up in L.A., known for casual attire. However, what Californians wear looks like formal attire compared to some of the things we saw on the Riviera. The Riviera and Marina are the most beautiful, elegant ships at sea (in my opinion and in the opinion of many). Is it really so difficult to dress in slacks and a nice shirt to go to dinner?

Okay -- flame me if you wish.

Meg;

We tend to notice the unusual. For instance when Wilma, with the bodacious ta tas, wears the tight low cut dress displaying the marvels, we notice. Even when our wife kicks us under the table and tells us "they're fake, quit gaucking!" So when Wilma walks in, on multiple nights, with similar attire, we (men) recognize her by her attire. LOL. Same goes Fred, we he wears jeans to Jacques, on the first night, and then we see him in the GDR on the second night again in jeans, we notice. This is backed up when we see him bsing with the CD, at the Captain's receptions, in...... you guessed it, a pair of blue jeans. He sticks out not by what he wears, as much the minority he represents. Much like Wilma's bodacious enhancements!

Unlike Lady Chew, we are very used to people being very casual in the Terrace, we rarely see cargo pants and T shirts in the GDR or specialities. however. That's not to say she is incorrect, just that I have found it a rarity.

Who knows,, maybe in a couple of years cruisers will self declare swim trucks and Ts as being "country club casual" and show up in them at La Reserve.Times, they are a changing!

I think we should all live and let live and concern ourselves with what WE are wearing.

Here, here. Thank you, lest this become another one of "those threads.":(

I laugh we I read these posts on live and let live. I was a President of a large, 2000 home, subdivision several years back. We had regs about simple stuff like keeping the yard mowed and removing dead shrubs. It was always a battle. There was this minority that wanted to live in the well kept neighborhood and look and the pretty surrounding, but wanted to do nothing to keep their property similarly well kept. Mow once a month, we were told to worry about other things and other people. Same goes with dress codes. There will always be that minority that wants to define "country club casual" as being cargo shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops, and then tell posters to worry about what they wear. It's like the continual dumbing down of our school systems, one never wins trying to uphold even modest standards with these groups. It's a waste of words and effort!:rolleyes:

Goggle past threads!

I laugh we I read these posts on live and let live. I was a President of a large, 2000 home, subdivision several years back. We had regs about simple stuff like keeping the yard mowed and removing dead shrubs. It was always a battle. There was this minority that wanted to live in the well kept neighborhood and look and the pretty surrounding, but wanted to do nothing to keep their property similarly well kept. Mow once a month, we were told to worry about other things and other people. Same goes with dress codes. There will always be that minority that wants to define "country club casual" as being cargo shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops, and then tell posters to worry about what they wear. It's like the continual dumbing down of our school systems, one never wins trying to uphold even modest standards with these groups. It's a waste of words and effort!:rolleyes:

Goggle past threads!

Have to agree with you (on several levels). Also want to comment that this thread has been very civil which is nice to see. Hopefully we can all continue to be able to voice our opinions without being told that we are wrong or that we should not feel the way that we do.

I suppose the reason most people who haven't sailed on a particular line ask questions about the dress code is because ( from a British point of view) on land the more upscale the venue the dressier the dress code. I wouldn't wear my long dress to McDonald's anymore than I would wear jeans to a 'posh do'! However with cruising it seems that the mass market cruises seem to have the tux and gown nights whereas the likes of Oceania have this strange thing referred to as country club casual which means absolutely nothing to those of us on this side of the atlantic :D. So as not to stand out like the proverbial sore thumb ( from my point of view) we do not want to be over or under dressed therefore with restricted baggage we don't want to bring things we won't/shouldn't wear hence the advice provided by those in the know is very much appreciated by those of us just starting out in cruising life and I apologise on behalf of all those who don't know how to use the search button and thank profusely those of you who patiently answer our questions - 6 weeks to go :D

By the way - what does country club casual mean? ;)

Edited by Techno123

I suppose the reason most people who haven't sailed on a particular line ask questions about the dress code is because ( from a British point of view) on land the more upscale the venue the dressier the dress code. I wouldn't wear my long dress to McDonald's anymore than I would wear jeans to a 'posh do'! However with cruising it seems that the mass market cruises seem to have the tux and gown nights whereas the likes of Oceania have this strange thing referred to as country club casual which means absolutely nothing to those of us on this side of the atlantic :D. So as not to stand out like the proverbial sore thumb ( from my point of view) we do not want to be over or under dressed therefore with restricted baggage we don't want to bring things we won't/shouldn't wear hence the advice provided by those in the know is very much appreciated by those of us just starting out in cruising life and I apologise on behalf of all those who don't know how to use the search button and thank profusely those of you who patiently answer our questions - 6 weeks to go :D

By the way - what does country club casual mean? ;)

Hear hear!! I have found this thread useful. Country Club Casual means different things to different people. I am English and live in England also, although I am a member of a Country Club in Florida - where the attire is definitely elegant, jeans are a complete no-no, and a jacket is required in the evening.

Goggle past threads!

I respectfully disagree - I think your analogy is a bit of a stretch here - homeowners who neglect their property cause a financial hardship on their neighbors in the form of lower property values; I don't see the value of my cruise depreciating because of what someone else is wearing...just my opinion of course.

if you are wearing a clown costume, superman costume, shorts, ragged jeans, overalls (that look like they were last worn on a farm). Okay -- being facetious about clowns and superman costumes but was stunned to see ragged jeans and overalls on the Riviera.

I suppose I am lucky. In 20+ cruises I don't recall ever seeing ragged jeans or overalls in the dining room. Jeans, yes, but not ones I'd called "ragged" and certainly have never seen overalls. Then again, I am generally paying attention to the folks I'm sitting with, not the folks walking in the door or seated elsewhere.

Meg;

We tend to notice the unusual. For instance when Wilma, with the bodacious ta tas, wears the tight low cut dress displaying the marvels, we notice. Even when our wife kicks us under the table and tells us "they're fake, quit gaucking!" So when Wilma walks in, on multiple nights, with similar attire, we (men) recognize her by her attire. LOL. Same goes Fred, we he wears jeans to Jacques, on the first night, and then we see him in the GDR on the second night again in jeans, we notice.

Yes, I guess I do understand about the truly unusual or eye-catching like Wilma, if she's spilling out of her dress or whatever. But again...jeans? You really notice every person who wears jeans? I don't consider them especially unusual or eye catching. IME, jeans have become so commonplace on ships and in public in general, that I would hardly notice that a particular person was wearing them every single night unless I was specifically looking for jeans and making a mental note as to who was wearing them, ie. taking a mental inventory of everyone's dress. I mean, I see them, but I've never really noticed any that were in such terrible shape that it made an impression on me to the point that I remembered the wearers from night to night. Again, I've either been very lucky in the cruises I've been on, or folks on Celebrity and Royal dress better than those on Oceania, or I just don't pay that much attention to what people are wearing.

I must say though, now I'm curious about all these supposedly ratty torn up jeans and overalls that I will apparently see every single night on Oceania in a few weeks. :D

I respectfully disagree - I think your analogy is a bit of a stretch here - homeowners who neglect their property cause a financial hardship on their neighbors in the form of lower property values; I don't see the value of my cruise depreciating because of what someone else is wearing...just my opinion of course.

Correct.

Here's what "live and let live" means to me.

Nothing you or I write or say is going to change the way folks dress on a cruise. If they want to embarrass themselves that is their business. It has no effect on me or my cruise experience (although it does seem to affect a few posters). Smoking affects it. Bad behavior affects it. Screaming children affect it. Alleged dress code "violations?" No way.

As for my husband and myself -- we are dressed to the nines in the evening. I am a fashionista and an overpacker. I bring my fabulous costume jewelry collection (I am a collector -- a jewelry junkie) as I rarely get a chance to wear any of it here in Tucson. I probably have a different outfit for each night. Crazy, huh? I have it and I want to wear it and the cruise is the place. There are other women who do the same -- exquisitely dressed and accessorized in the evening. Others are in simple capris and tops. Neat and plain. Do I care? Should any of us care? They are happy and comfortable. That is what is important IMO. I envy those women -- they travel with just carry ons LOLOL

Some might consider me "overdressed" but I do not care what others think about the way I am dressed (and I am guessing those who dress down don't give a hoot either). We have choices. I get the feeling some here think their choice is the only choice.

Bottom line: I don't give a hoot about how the rest of the passengers are dressed and I doubt they should or would care about my opinion or anyone else's.

So -- I say "live and let live" because you are not going to change anyone's mind or their wardrobe or their style.

As far as giving first time cruisers advice on what is customarily worn on Oceania, that is fair game. But apparently, opinions are divided on that score. If you are driven by what others will "think" then listen to the 'rules" as stated by some of the posters who believe there is a strict set of rules to be followed.

If you are comfortable with yourself and your choices, pack what you will feel comfortable in and enjoy your cruise.

I would hate people to think that the fashion police on on board Oceania -- because they are not. There will be a wide range of attire on board.

Correct.

Nothing you or I write or say is going to change the way folks dress on a cruise. If they want to embarrass themselves that is their business. It has no effect on me or my cruise experience (although it does seem to affect a few posters). Smoking affects it. Bad behavior affects it. Screaming children affect it. Alleged dress code "violations?" No way.

As for my husband and myself -- we are dressed to the nines in the evening. I am a fashionista and an overpacker. I bring my fabulous costume jewelry collection (I am a collector -- a jewelry junkie) as I rarely get a chance to wear any of it here in Tucson. I probably have a different outfit for each night. Crazy, huh? I have it and I want to wear it and the cruise is the place. There are other women who do the same -- exquisitely dressed and accessorized in the evening. Others are in simple capris and tops. Neat and plain. Do I care? Should any of us care? They are happy and comfortable. That is what is important IMO. I envy those women -- they travel with just carry ons LOLOL

Some might consider me "overdressed" but I do not care what others think about the way I am dressed (and I am guessing those who dress down don't give a hoot either). We have choices. I get the feeling some here think their choice is the only choice.

Bottom line: I don't give a hoot about how the rest of the passengers are dressed and I doubt they should or would care about my opinion or anyone else's.

So -- I say "live and let live" because you are not going to change anyone's mind or their wardrobe or their style.

As far as giving first time cruisers advice on what is customarily worn on Oceania, that is fair game. But apparently, opinions are divided on that score. If you are driven by what others will "think" then listen to the 'rules" as stated by some of the posters who believe there is a strict set of rules to be followed.

If you are comfortable with yourself and your choices, pack what you will feel comfortable in and enjoy your cruise.

I would hate people to think that the fashion police on on board Oceania -- because they are not. There will be a wide range of attire on board.

Well said !

Correct.

where's teh LIKE button when you need it?

I think I am a bit conflicted about this thread. On the one hand, I agree with pacheco18 and I, too, am going to get dressed for dinner from head to toe and look my best because that is what I do whether the people dining at the next table are wearing jeans or are falling out of their dress.

However, I also don't understand why someone can't figure out that if they are eating in a restaurant with white table cloths, fine china and crystal that they should put on clothes that they wouldn't wear to someplace where they answer the question "Do you want fries with that?"

This is our first Oceania cruise, having sailed the last several times on Silversea, where there are a lot less degrees of freedom regarding dress. On evenings that are semi formal, men do wear jackets, or they don't enter the dining room. That may change, but at least it is out there for everyone to know. Country club casual is, as many have pointed out, very open to interpretation, and that is obviously the intent.

Eating near someone wearing jeans and flip flops is not going to ruin my dinner. And I certainly cannot claim that someone dressed in jeans is going to be loud and obnoxious, drink too much and talk about politics, religion or other taboo subjects at dinner! That, unfortunately has happened with dinner mates dressed to the nine's.

Bottom line is that I understand the confusion and and concerns expressed in this thread. I clearly won't be packing any gowns for this cruise, but I am still going to bring things to dress up in for the specialty restaurants and to look nice in for the main dining room as well as casual outfits for other dining venues.

My husband will leave his suit and tux at home for sure!

Hear hear!! I have found this thread useful. Country Club Casual means different things to different people. I am English and live in England also, although I am a member of a Country Club in Florida - where the attire is definitely elegant, jeans are a complete no-no, and a jacket is required in the evening.

I'm guessing that, with a great deal of interpretive latitude, Oceania's idea of the high end of "country club casual" is depicted in their brochures or, in the absence of a brochure, the fashions displayed in many country club scenes of any modern romantic comedy motion picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

However, I also don't understand why someone can't figure out that if they are eating in a restaurant with white table cloths, fine china and crystal that they should put on clothes that they wouldn't wear to someplace where they answer the question "Do you want fries with that?"

Upbringing. It's as simple as that.

And if they were not brought up to know the difference, we sure are not going to teach them at this age.

You see it everywhere -- not just on a ship. Sad commentary on our society, but true.

See another dress thread...

I will stoke the flame. While I appreciate those that dress the 9's on such a cruise. Myself -- I am on vacation!!! No suit and ties for me - I wear enough of them. If I wanted formal nights I would be cruising with Cunard (g-d forbid) or Seabourn.

Country club casual means -- dockers and a golf shirt.

On hot nights I will be up in the Terrace in shorts and a tee shirt in a well worn comfy pair of sneakers.

See another dress thread...

I will stoke the flame. While I appreciate those that dress the 9's on such a cruise. Myself -- I am on vacation!!! No suit and ties for me - I wear enough of them. If I wanted formal nights I would be cruising with Cunard (g-d forbid) or Seabourn.

Country club casual means -- dockers and a golf shirt.

On hot nights I will be up in the Terrace in shorts and a tee shirt in a well worn comfy pair of sneakers.

Paul -- dressing to the "nines" does not mean formal. My husband never brings a jacket but he has the most extensive collection of Tommy Bahama shirts imaginable. He doesn't own a golf shirt or a polo. Too formal. He wears T-shirts here in Tucson. LOLOL

I suppose I am lucky. In 20+ cruises I don't recall ever seeing ragged jeans or overalls in the dining room. Jeans, yes, but not ones I'd called "ragged" and certainly have never seen overalls. Then again, I am generally paying attention to the folks I'm sitting with, not the folks walking in the door or seated elsewhere.

Actually, I should have said that I saw the ragged jeans and overalls in the evening (around 9:00 p.m.) -- one in an elevator -- the other in a hallway near a restaurant. Neither were in a restaurant. However, shorts are apparently permitted in the Terrace Café. When I have posted my observations of what people wore in the specialty restaurants, I was told that what I saw and posted was not true. On our one cruise, from Istanbul to Rome, approximately 50% of the people in the specialty restaurants were dressed up -- many men wore sports jackets and many women wore dresses (not gowns).

The reason I post this information is for people new to Oceania. Some people might feel uncomfortable when the majority of people are dressed differently than they are. This does not necessarily mean under-dressed. My DH

(or OH:-) wore a jacket and tie once on Regent in a specialty restaurant. He was the only one dressed in that manner (unusual for Regent but this was the case). He casually slipped his tie off and eventually hung his jacket on the chair. He was not comfortable.

When people ask me how people are dressed on Oceania (or Regent or Silversea), I do not tell them the lowest or highest standard of dress but rather what the majority wear. On Oceania, I would say that the majority of men wore slacks (could be some Dockers -- they just looked nice) and a shirt. We saw a few polo shirts but they were not the majority (although I expect there may be more on our upcoming Caribbean cruise).

There are no passengers who feel they are fashion police onboard the ships. People dressed oddly (take that to mean whatever you wish) or have the upper portion of their bodies hanging out may get some stares but no one would say anything. I certainly could not help but notice people wearing bathrobes in the Executive Lounge in the morning but did not say a word. Even when someone brushed their teeth in the Executive Lounge, my DH was stunned but silent.

These threads are entertaining and it is good to know that they are helpful to some people.