CAUTION!!!! sticky finger on the GRAND

Cruisers from WA

[quote name='Pam in CA']I agree. I can't imagine anyone leaving a wallet, money or valuables anywhere but in the safe. Accusing the steward of theft is a very serious charge and could cost him his job. No wonder he looked frightened, particularly since there's no proof other than your word that you foolishly left cash out and available.[/quote]

Agree, who leaves money and or valuables unsecured anywhere???

The only place we risk this is going to airport security because we don't have a choice ... and we do it tandum so we can keep an eye on valuables.

We certainly don't. We lock phones, iPods, Kindle, camera, credit cards, cash, laptops, anything at all that is valuable in the safe every time we leave the cabin. If it means opening the safe 5 or more times a day, we do it. It's worth the hassle and only takes a few seconds. When you travel, you have to minimize the chance of these things happening any way you can. Sorry the OP had to learn the hard way. That's a bummer. :(

[quote name='AKman2495']The first thing I do when I get into the room is to test the safe and then put the wallets, cash and passports in the safe. We have never had a problem and never a worry....[/QUOTE]

ditto!!! The wallets, jewelry and passports go into the safe immediately.

[QUOTE=sasha'smom;42823388]Aren't you going or share with us the other methods of securing valuables?

I feel bad for the OP. We do have a false sense of security for some reason when we are on a cruise ship. We always lock our wallets and passports in the safe, but have left our IPads and laptop in the cabin. Won't make that mistake again.
I hope they catch the person if it is a crew member. If they did it once, they will do it again.

I'm glad we were told about this, it makes all of us more aware. We have sailed 15 times on Princess without an incident, but it only takes once to make you feel very violated and vulnerable. Security cameras should be in the hallways, and this is one reason why.

It's too much of a coincidence that both this experience and the one in the link provided above were on the Gand. The security team needs to put two and two together. They have a thief in their crew.[/QUOTE]

There are numerous travel articles about how the type of safe found in hotel rooms and ship cabins are easy to access with special override codes. The general advice in these articles for cruisers suggests:

"[B][I]Use the ship’s safe[/I][/B]

Leave the Rolex watch and the Gucci handbag at home — no one is looking and you’re on vacation, so you don’t need to worry about the time. Keep most of your cash and valuables (especially your jewelry, return tickets and passports) in the ship’s safe.

The lightweight safe in your cabin is fine for storing small everyday items like your address book and tip money, but never put anything in it that you can’t afford to lose. Do you know how many of those cabin safes are left locked when passengers disembark at the end of a cruise? Now guess how many crewmembers know the bypass code for opening them."

[quote name='PrincessLuver']There are numerous travel articles about how the type of safe found in hotel rooms and ship cabins are easy to access with special override codes. The general advice in these articles for cruisers suggests:

"[B][I]Use the ship’s safe[/I][/B]

Leave the Rolex watch and the Gucci handbag at home — no one is looking and you’re on vacation, so you don’t need to worry about the time. Keep most of your cash and valuables (especially your jewelry, return tickets and passports) in the ship’s safe.

The lightweight safe in your cabin is fine for storing small everyday items like your address book and tip money, but never put anything in it that you can’t afford to lose. Do you know how many of those cabin safes are left locked when passengers disembark at the end of a cruise? Now guess how many crewmembers know the bypass code for opening them."[/QUOTE]

It must surprise you then to see no posts about valuables stolen from these safes among many about other thefts. My guess is that it's not worth getting caught for a ship's employee/contractor to lose a job over theft and that most passengers have no clue about the bypass codes. I'll continue to lock iPads, wallets, and passports in the safes. These days, with debit and credit cards, there really isn't too much of a need to carry around too much cash in any denomination.

[quote name='PrincessLuver']Now guess how many crewmembers know the bypass code for opening them."[/QUOTE]

The last time I was on Emerald, the safe was locked when we arrived in the cabin.

Eventually, a gent came along to open it.

He plugged in a device, which displayed a code.

He had to call a number, and read the person on the other end
the code. He then got a second code, which he used to open
the safe.

It didn't look like there was a 'bypass' code that someone could use
alone. And, it looked like the whole process would be logged.

I have never heard of anyone's safe on princess being pilfered.

[quote name='MichelleinOC']I agree with Pam and Ethel. No, you shouldn't have been robbed but I don't think anyone should leave their valuables in a stateroom, in a hotel room, I their airplane seat, etcetera

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Except that people do, often by accident. We're only human and it is devastating when valuables get stolen. Edited by OzKiwiJJ

[quote name='pablo222']The last time I was on Emerald, the safe was locked when we arrived in the cabin.

Eventually, a gent came along to open it.

He plugged in a device, which displayed a code.

He had to call a number, and read the person on the other end
the code. He then got a second code, which he used to open
the safe.

It didn't look like there was a 'bypass' code that someone could use
alone. And, it looked like the whole process would be logged.

I have never heard of anyone's safe on princess being pilfered.[/QUOTE]

I think those posts are over alarmist and most of us can use the safes feeling 99% more comfortable about our valuables being safe. The biggest risk with the safes is users not double checking to make sure the safe door is closed and locked.

As a former big city cop, don t give theives the opportunity to make you a victim. Hide your valuables in the safe and make sure the door locks when leaving. Don t wear jewelery on excursions or flash cash or iphones . At the beach never leave your things unattended. Even at the ships pool ask someone to watch your things. Simple rules.

[B]Had something stolen from a bag of purchases on a tour bus.
Guide said to leave things on bus when we went to lunch.
I had my shopping bag closed up, came back and it was wide opened.
This bus was locked when we went to lunch. Noticed a couple of ladies lingering when we all got off the bus. I noticed as soon as we reboarded
that my stuff was taken, bag was wide opened and moved.It was a laquor box (Purchased in St. Petersburg). Doubt that the bus driver would have done it as he got off with us too. Sad that we can't trust our
fellow passengers.
[/B]

[quote name='bhopal21']Neither have I.

Mike:)[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of crimes that happen on cruise ships everyday. Just because passengers are not aware does not mean they are not happening. Just trying to get cruise lines to report crimes to authorities honestly and accurately is a major problem. They are happening....you are just unaware as most of us are. Cruise ships are no safer then any other form of travel...in some ways we are more vulnerable...safes are there for a false sense of security....

[quote name='PrincessLuver']There are a lot of crimes that happen on cruise ships everyday. Just because passengers are not aware does not mean they are not happening. Just trying to get cruise lines to report crimes to authorities honestly and accurately is a major problem. They are happening....you are just unaware as most of us are. Cruise ships are no safer then any other form of travel...in some ways we are more vulnerable...safes are there for a false sense of security....[/quote]

Yes and there are scores of cruise ships afloat.

I refuse to think the sky is falling and hide my head under a pillow.

Put what you can in the safe, put on your big girl panties and carry on.

If I was that paranoid I would just stay at home.

Mike:)

[quote name='PrincessLuver']There are a lot of crimes that happen on cruise ships everyday. Just because passengers are not aware does not mean they are not happening. Just trying to get cruise lines to report crimes to authorities honestly and accurately is a major problem. They are happening....you are just unaware as most of us are. Cruise ships are no safer then any other form of travel...in some ways we are more vulnerable...safes are there for a false sense of security....[/quote]

Cruiselines are not required to report the theft of $40 and most other petty crimes.
However now they are required to report major crimes.

OP - so sorry for the theft. The feeling of violation isn't pleasant and I'm sorry you went through this. PLEASE - lock up anything you'd regret losing from now on. I always lock up my valuables and put my laptop (too big for safe) in my suitcase under the bed when I'm out of the room. Don't give people the opportunity to violate your well-being. Again, I feel for you and am sorry this happened.

The first thing we do when we get to our cabin is set up the safe with our code and immediately put everything valuable into it (jewellery, money, passports, even our excursion tickets). Not only does this lock up our valuables, it also keeps everything together in one place for us to quickly access and then lock up again as we come and go.

No one should be any more "trusting" just because you are on a cruise ship. This is no different than a hotel. You have staff coming in and out, and your door is left wide open during cleaning, leaving the opportunity as well for any other of the passengers walking down the hallway to take advantage of swiping a wallet or any other valuables in full view.

I'm sorry for the OP's loss, and I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but sorry, I just don't get not locking up your valuables in the safe.

Why do you think the put safes in the cabin to start with?

As for any crime reports, its always in the facilities best interest to keep it quiet. Especially if they have their own security force.

Look at examples of crime reported in college/university campuses, almost none are ever reported to the proper authoritie outside the campus. Edited by M4dC0w

[quote name='Ethel5']I disagree. By leaving his money/wallet out in the open, he must take responsibility for the theft. Not an easy thing to do, but it is the mature thing.[/quote]

I agree 100%

I know there is a large cross section of people from diffreent parts of the world. Maybe there are still some places you can leave your door unlocked at night, and your car running in front of 7-11 when you just run in to get cigarettes . And if you are from there , God Bless you.

But as a rule , you need to watch yourself and your stuff all the time. Granted if the person really wants to steal your stuff or break in, they are goig to find a way . But sure as hell don't make it easy for them.

30 years as a 9-1-1 dispatcher has taught me watch your back around everyone.

And yes sometimes the "Victim" (most overused word in my business , right after "Emergency" :) ) could have prevented their plight. Edited by babyher

I must be naive because I don't consider leaving my ipad or my purse in my locked cabin as "out in the open." The OP was not at fault at all. period. If items are left outside of the cabin, like a lounge chair, etc. then extra care should certainly be taken, but in your locked cabin? Um, no. What about items that don't fit in the safe? My son's stuffed monkey is far more valuable than anything in my wallet, at least to him, and it won't fit in the safe.

When we cruise we bring minimal cash, leave the jewelry that we don't wear daily and other expensive items at home. The exception is my ipad or kindle because there is no way I will be on a vacation without them! Problems happen and you could go crazy trying to prevent every situation. But no body asks to be robbed, that is just silly.

[quote name='mariakitty']I must be naive because I don't consider leaving my ipad or my purse in my locked cabin as "out in the open." The OP was not at fault at all. period. If items are left outside of the cabin, like a lounge chair, etc. then extra care should certainly be taken, but in your locked cabin? Um, no. What about items that don't fit in the safe? My son's stuffed monkey is far more valuable than anything in my wallet, at least to him, and it won't fit in the safe.

When we cruise we bring minimal cash, leave the jewelry that we don't wear daily and other expensive items at home. The exception is my ipad or kindle because there is no way I will be on a vacation without them! Problems happen and you could go crazy trying to prevent every situation. But no body asks to be robbed, that is just silly.[/QUOTE]

Monkey may be more valuable to your son, but has no value to a thief. The safe is there for a reason. They don't put them in cabins to be "silly".

The very first thing we do when we get into our cabin is program the safe and put both of our wallets, car keys, airline tickets and all my jewelry in there safely and yes, I do bring my fine jewelry with me, if I didn't I would never get a chance to wear it anywhere...I cannot imagine leaving anything of value out in the open....I think that it would be unnerving for the steward if he saw valuables or money lying about when cleaning the room....I am not paranoid, just careful...but also like the secure feeling that our valuables are all in the safe. Edited by SissyG

[quote name='SissyG']The very first thing we do when we get into our cabin is program the safe and put both of our wallets, car keys, airline tickets and all my jewelry in there safely and yes, I do bring my fine jewelry with me, if I didn't I would never get a chance to wear it anywhere...I cannot imagine leaving anything of value out in the open....I think that it would be unnerving for the steward if he saw valuables or money lying about when cleaning the room....I am not paranoid, just careful...but also like the secure feeling that our valuables are all in the safe.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, and the first thing we always do is put anything of value inside the safe, including our medications Better to be safe than sorry. I am really surprised at the naïveté of many Maybe because I work in the system I am more aware of how many thefts happen, and in the most unlikely places too

Hi All
We never travel with anything important to us while a camera may have a value a cheap ring bought many years ago can be more important.
We have used the ships safe not cabin safe once when l needed something of importance looked after.

As to locking doors l am happy to live here where leaving your car keys in the car a stranger can knock on your door to tell you he has locked your car and here's your keys

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

So sorry that this happened to you! I have been a victim of theft and it is such a horrible feeling. And you do tend to beat yourself up afterwards thinking of all the things you might have done differently.

But I too am very uncomfortable with the blame the victim mentality that I see in many of the posts here. While I agree it is wise to lock up your valuables and we also use the safe in our cabin, I do feel that no one should be blamed for being the victim of a crime. Perhaps it was not the best idea to leave your wallets out, but that by no means should equate to the idea that you are at fault or deserved to be robbed! I can understand the feeling of security you might have leaving things locked up in your cabin. I guess I'm just very sensitive about anyone other than the criminal being blamed for a crime as it seems terribly misplaced. Being too trusting is not a moral lapse but stealing is!