Amsterdam hotel?

We will be coming into Amsterdam on July 18th before sailing on the 20th. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for our stay? How far is it from airport and cruise terminal? Do we need to take a taxi or does train go to terminal?

I haven't cruised out of Amsterdam, but visited last summer.

Train from Airport to Central Station gets you to the dockyards in about 30 minutes or so, where I assume (and hope to be corrected with specific information) ships would port nearby. I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel, which was about 3 blocks walk from Central Station, though there were many hotel options in the area. I found the area a nice central area that let me walk anyplace I wanted to go, and was always easy to get back, by simply asking anyone or following signs for Central Station.

Edited by cle-guy

Just noticed your departure date. When you return, it will be during Amsterdam's Gay pride event. I'd expect quite a large group of LGBT on your cruise. I have been looking at that one myself actually.

Even if not part of our community, sticking around for the weekend's events is a fun time, especially the canal parade. Seems the entire city, families, kids , EVERYONE shows up for the fun. I went last year with a friend I met on my TA who invited me, even got to be on one of the barges and see the city from a parade barge.

Bucket list item checked off the list!

We will be coming into Amsterdam on July 18th before sailing on the 20th. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for our stay? How far is it from airport and cruise terminal? Do we need to take a taxi or does train go to terminal?

Amsterdam is a very popular destination so all hotels sell out fast.

I would suggest you book any hotel, fully refundable or where you pay at the hotel upon check out, just to secure a room and a price. Then start to look closer at which area you prefer.

Dam plein, Museums plein are sentral areas.

I can recommend The Dylan as we just stayed there. A small chic boutique hotel set on one of the most beautiful canals and just minutes walk to "everything".

Taxi will take you around 20 minutes from airport to downtown.

From Schipol Airport to Amsterdam Cantraal station is about 20mins on the train. The station is at the heart of the city and there are many hotels within walking distance, even with a suitcase or two. The Amsterdam Passenger Terminal (cruise terminal) is a 10 min walk from Centraal Station directly along the harbour.

Hotels in hw on to stay oedema on your budget but if you want convenience try those alongside the harbour such as Doubletree by Hilton or Movenpick. In the city itself there are many within 10 to 15 mins walk.

We like the Inntel, the Westcord City Centre and the Renaissance - basically 4*, 3* and 4.5* in that order in my opinion.

We also stayed at the Renaissance. We stayed 2 nights pre cruise and 3 nights post cruises the location is perfect. The restaurant on site is as reasonable as any in the city. We walked everywhere including the cruise terminal. Amsterdam is a fabulous city. We also used the local train to go to Delft for the day and local buses to head out to Volendam and Zaanse Schans. Enjoy your time there and enjoy your cruise.

We have done the priceline route twice 1st time we go the Movenpick the 2nd time was Barbizon Palace both in the central area

You will need to read up on the bidding process but try for a 4 or 5 * hotel

I would as suggested book something refundable incase you do not get a hotel for the right price by bidding

Spent two nights at The Park Plaza Victoria Hotel which is located across the street from Central Train Station. GREAT location and we walked to all the things that we wanted to see after taking the hop on-hop off bus tour. Would certainly recommend that you "upgrade" to the newer section of the hotel and request a room facing Central Station which is quite a view. Didn't eat any meals in the hotel but our room was very nice, comfortable, and staff always willing to assist with directions and recommendations. We took a cab to the airport, not cheap, but we didn't feel like the hassle of taking the train with all our luggage etc. We arrived in Amsterdam via Viking River Cruise and could have walked to the hotel, but took a cab which was a 5 minute ride!

The closest hotel to the cruise ship terminal is the Movenpick, which is essentially almost on top of the terminal. Amsterdam has a number of wonderful hotels, and I think the best way to select one is to choose which area in the city is the best for what you want to see and do.

While some may choose to walk from Centraal Station to the cruise ship terminal with luggage it really is not feasible (unless you are a really budget traveler). The taxi fare was 9.90 Euro earlier this month.

We just stayed at the Park Plaza Victoria (we left four days ago) and since we are familiar with Amsterdam as we have been there before, I thought we would like it. But we were not impressed, and would not stay there again. While the Centraal Station is very convenient, but I have to admit that the area is too touristy for my taste and rather seedy on some streets.

Schipol Airport is twenty minutes by train on the Thalys fast service (which requires an advance reservation as all seats are assigned) and about thirty minutes by local train (no assigned seats) from Centraal Station. The train station is essentially below the passenger terminal and is very convenient.

Amsterdam Central Station to the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA) is very walkable, if you are fit and able to carry your own suitcase it's even a nice and leisurely walk along the IJ canal if the sun is out in summer, lots of boats on the water in the summer. Personal choices.

Otherwise use public transport (there is a tram stop on the pic on the left), also some bus service. Plan it on the English version of thepublic transport planner.

16bkj5v.jpg

The DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station will cost you $528 for 2 nights incl. breakfast and is in a great location for both the cruise and city. The Barbizon will be $478 incl. breakfast.

IF Amsterdam might run out of rooms, the airport area is nearby by train as a last resort. Otherwise I would suggest the city of Haarlem next to Amsterdam, less Amsterdam but a lot more of Holland.Like one poster said; Amsterdam can be a bit too much. Haarlem makes a great combination with a halfday visit to the tullip fields on a (future) longer stay. Because you will love Holland. :D

From first hand experience I'd recommend the Hotel Estherea. Great location, great prices, lovely hotel. We stayed there along with some American friends a couple of years ago and would go back there in a heartbeat. Join their free 'friends of Estherea' scheme and you'll get free breakfast!:)

If you are in Amsterdam during this convention:

http://www.zapaday.com/event/65296/3/Ibc.html

forget the prices mentioned. It will be almost impossible to find a hotelroom and prices are sky high!

September is very populair for big conventions.

Wrong assumption Ine, those prices are real. It's the newest booking site and they have deep discounts.. and they are really great.

I can understand it's unbelievable but please don't undo my effort of helping out. :)

First post was from my iPad, here's an overview of some different city center hotels, besides the Eden Hotel which is a bit further out. The Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky is a 5 star hotel, next to the Dam monument and across the Palace, this really sets you in the middle of Amsterdam which is super convenient but my guess is that you will get an older room with those rates..

Just Google around for the hotel locations, those rare rates will be gone soon as indicated by Ine. :)

Sep 1, 2014 to Sep 4, 2014 - 2 Adults

NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Standard - 1 Bed $168 + $11 taxes/fees $537

Standard - 2 Beds $168 + $11 taxes/fees $537

Standard + Breakfast - 2 Beds

Breakfast Buffet Included$219 + $14 taxes/fees $699

Standard + Breakfast - 1 Bed

Breakfast Buffet Included$219 + $14 taxes/fees $699

Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden

Standard - 2 Beds

Breakfast Buffet Included $134 + $9 taxes/fees $429

Standard - 1 Bed

Breakfast Buffet Included $134 + $9 taxes/fees $429

The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection

Classic Twin Beds - 1 Bed $198 + $11 taxes/fees $627

Classic King Bed - 1 Bed $198 + $11 taxes/fees $627

Superior King Bed - 1 Bed $231 + $13 taxes/fees $732

Classic King Bed + Breakfast - 1 Bed

Breakfast Included $249 + $14 taxes/fees $789

Classic Twin Beds + Breakfast - 1 Bed

Breakfast Included $249 + $14 taxes/fees $789

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Superior - 2 Beds

Breakfast Buffet Included $203 + $13 taxes/fees $648

Superior - 2 Beds

Breakfast Buffet Included $203 + $13 taxes/fees $648

DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station

Leisure - 1 Bed $199 + $12 taxes/fees $633

Leisure + Breakfast - 1 Bed

Continental Breakfast Included $244 + $15 taxes/fees $777

Standard + Breakfast - 1 Bed

Breakfast Buffet Included $292 + $18 taxes/fees $930

And the hotel next to the PTA cruise terminal;

Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre

Standard Flex - 1 Bed

Breakfast Buffet Included $279 + $17 taxes/fees $888

Standard - 1 Bed

Breakfast Buffet Included $279 + $17 taxes/fees $888

Wrong assumption Ine, those prices are real. It's the newest booking site and they have deep discounts.. and they are really great.

I can understand it's unbelievable but please don't undo my effort of helping out. :)

Maybe you are right, but the poster is asking about september 2015, not 2014.

The dates of this big convention (with over 50.000 partipicants and/or visitors! check http://www.ibc.org/) in 2014 may be different, but in the past years it was almost impossible to find a room unless paying top prices.

Edited by Ine

Maybe you are right, but the poster is asking about september 2015, not 2014.

The dates of this big convention (with over 50.000 partipicants and/or visitors! check http://www.ibc.org/) in 2014 may be different, but in the past years it was almost impossible to find a room unless paying top prices.

Oh shi.. my apologies, did not read that last night. "Niet verder gekeken dan mijn neus lang is" as we say in Holland. ;) Sorry!

But Travelpony offers great rates. Their search only goes up 8 months in advance so can't check any rates for 2015.

Thanks all but we will use the suggestions of a 2 bedrooms from VRBO.

They are really good appartements available for sept 2015. We are looking for a 3 nights just before our western europe cruise with celebrity , we are 4 adults.

Thanks !!!

Germain

• 2 months later...
Thanks all but we will use the suggestions of a 2 bedrooms from VRBO.

They are really good appartements available for sept 2015. We are looking for a 3 nights just before our western europe cruise with celebrity , we are 4 adults.

Thanks !!!

Germain

We're an extended family of 7 adults and are looking for a hotel or apartment for 2 nights in Amsterdam post-cruise. Will search on Travelpony later this year, would also like your suggestions for hotels, also which area to stay in, our budget is within 150 euos/night. Thanks in advance:)

We're an extended family of 7 adults and are looking for a hotel or apartment for 2 nights in Amsterdam post-cruise. Will search on Travelpony later this year, would also like your suggestions for hotels, also which area to stay in, our budget is within 150 euos/night. Thanks in advance:)

150 Euro equals 200 USD, for a family of 7?

Try getting an apartment but expect higher rates.. probably none of the hotels can accomdate 7 in a room. Perhaps a (youth)hostel? ;)