Red-eye or Day Before

Hi everyone, I am new here, but enjoying all of the great information.

Here is a question: What do you prefer - a redeye flight arriving early the morning of departure, or flying in the day before and staying in a hotel?

Obvious choice, right? The only benefit I can see to a red-eye is saving on the cost of a hotel room. But here is the kicker. What if flying the redeye saved you about $700?

I ask because I stumbled upon an airline deal with a redeye roundtrip nonstop from my home city to Orlando for less than $200 each. That price is only good for the date of departure. It arrives in Orlando at 6:30 a.m. Flights to Orlando from my city usually run about $500 each. I figure we would also save about $100 on the hotel.

So, in this situation, what would you do?

I usually prefer the night before, but due to work and school obligations have to fly in tomorrow AM for my cruise tomorrow

But in nice weather I think a short flight into orlando is a safe bet same day

If the red-eye got cancelled, are there a few other options that get you to the ship in time? If so, I'd lean towards the red-eye with that kind of price difference.

It's tempting to go for the redeye, and that's likely what I'd end up doing (because I am frugal), but we've found that whenever we fly to the port the day of the cruise, we are excessively tired and grouchy, and sometimes it takes a day or two to recover. So, we try to always fly in the day before, so we can board the ship well rested and in a good state of mind.

It all depends on when you are flying. In the winter if I was coming from an area that may get snow I wouldn't take the chance no matter what the savings. I like to fly in the day before but that is such a great deal I probably would take the red eye.

I would go for that redeye..Many years of travel from LAX-FLL (Feb, March, Sept & October cruises) and it's worked out good when it's either been that or no cruise....Some on these boards understand having to make the choice but many don't...Weigh the options and do whatever works out for you personally...Chances are you'll be fine and do enjoy that bit of extra $$ saved.

Only did the red eye once and would not do it again. We didn't sleep on the plane .arrived at the terminal at 8:30 am so could not get on ship. Sat around 'till 12:00 by the over tired,when you get your second wind and can't nap.Seemed likevwe lost the day of arrival and the jet lagged the next day so lost that day too. From then on flew day before and was much happier.

I am a firm believer of day or two before. We did a Delta flight once that was SMF to FLL and we were to leave at 9:30 AM two days prior. Plane broke, we didn't leave until 10:30 PM, so our flight turned into a red eye like it or not.

I also don't like the chance of missing luggage not making it on the same plane. That happened to our traveling companions once on an Alaska cruise.

Luckily we went to Vancouver two days early and the second day their stuff showed up. Had we done day of they wouldn't have gotten their stuff until our first port stop, which was day three.

If you mentioned what time of year, I missed it. If it's during snow season, I wouldn't. If it's January or February, we usually fly two days early but we also like Fort Lauderdale a lot and tend enjoy our time there. I think our snow season is a little shorter than Salt Lake City's.

We have done the red eye many times as the cost factor and work schedules often come into bearing. I usually don't sleep well in a hotel room for just one night anyway, but I can sleep on the plane. There is almost always a viable plan B if the plane gets delayed.

If you mentioned what time of year, I missed it. If it's during snow season, I wouldn't. If it's January or February, we usually fly two days early but we also like Fort Lauderdale a lot and tend enjoy our time there. I think our snow season is a little shorter than Salt Lake City's.

Several people have mentioned winter/snow delays - have been delayed on more than one occasion by heavy thunderstorms/rain in Florida. Once due to land in Miami and we were diverted for over 4 hours and landed in Orlando. We were held there until Miami cleared. In other words, anything can happen - not just snow.

Price wise it is a tough decision. However, if you choose to go with the red eye, I would definitely make sure that alternative arrangements were available, just in case there was a problem. The trouble can be once you are in transit your bags are gone ..... plus if airlines "have you" either on board or in the gate area it can be hard to make a change.

I'd do the red eye. Maybe I'm lucky, but I never flew out the day before a cruise, with the exception of Euro cruises where you still arrive the day of the cruise. One time we did a cruise from Montreal with a large group of friends, and we flew in 3 days early to see the city. Otherwise, never missed a ship.

Maybe being a pilot gives me special dispensation from cancellations or delays! :D

I'm paranoid about all of the flight delays and cancellations I have experienced in recent years. We are flying to Ft. Lauderdale the day before and getting together with a friend of mine from school I have not seen in many years who lives nearby and enjoying a bit of the area. The hotel was less than $100. As long as it's clean and the bed doesn't throw my back out, I don't care if it's basic. :-) Peace of mind to know I'll get to the ship in time.

I've had flights delayed due to Ice, flood (no kidding, the Reno airport flooded and closed) Mechanical issue (lost cabin pressure over Cuba) unruly passengers (watched a guy get hauled off in Amsterdam and then had to wait another hour till they got his luggage off). So for me, if there is an important connection like a cruise ship, I'd pad the times a little. your travel luck and experience may be better than mine though.

I usually fly in the day of, 1st or 2nd flight out. The worst delays I've had was because I took late day flights. Any delays just build through the day.

Insurance will only pay if your flight is delayed a certain amount of hours (I've seen 6 hours on my policies) so read your terms and conditions.