Thank you, Upgrade fairy!

Someone from the revenue dept. calls and offers you the chance to upgrade for a price. Usually a pretty good deal and a whole lot less than what it would cost to upgrade on the website. Not free but the next best thing.

oh cool thanks, maybe ill get a call , seems this cruise coming up has a lot of rooms available. '

my theory is this , since ships are cost cutting,id rather just get it as cheap as i can this way i dont complain about the quality and all and i get more trips.

but if its a great deal for an upgrade id consider it. also free ill take it.

Edited by Harooni

sorry maybe dumb question but what is a revenue upgrade?

In addition to what Ken described above, the revenue dept. gives free upgrades too. For example, if it's getting close to the cruise, and they have little or no less expensive staterooms (like insides), they may decide to cut their losses and move people up out of the less expensive staterooms to more expensive staterooms, thinking that they will be able to sell the insides easier. Probably some computer program that tells them the optimum time to start cutting their losses.

So if the revenue department does their job, either by free or paid upgrades, there will be no staterooms left for C&A to give away.

In addition to what Ken described above, the revenue dept. gives free upgrades too. For example, if it's getting close to the cruise, and they have little or no less expensive staterooms (like insides), they may decide to cut their losses and move people up out of the less expensive staterooms to more expensive staterooms, thinking that they will be able to sell the insides easier. Probably some computer program that tells them the optimum time to start cutting their losses.

So if the revenue department does their job, either by free or paid upgrades, there will be no staterooms left for C&A to give away.

very cool to know. you are the best

Thanks Bob. Wasn't aware of that one. Still not holding my breath though.:)

Bob you always provide a wealth of knowledge. You're like a weapon off mass instruction! ;) My hat is off to you, sir.

Very interesting & makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing. Just wish that upgrade fairy would visit me just once!

Congrats to you both!

Keeping my fingers crossed that I get a visit someday.

Has anyone gotten an upgrade while only Platinum?

I was upgraded last year on the Oasis as only Gold! Oceanview to balcony. It was wonderful. :)

Congrats on the upgrade, Carol!!! Enjoy the cruise.

Steve & Mike

Hey, guys! The lounge just won't be the same without you..............unless you quick grab a cabin and drive up to Baltimore next Friday!

:D

Does anyone ever get upgraded when a balcony guarantee is booked? I am diamond if that makes any difference.

Your chances of getting upgraded by the Crown & Anchor dept. is very low. However, if the revenue dept. wants yout stateroom, it would not matter how you booked. Either way, an upgrade is unlikely.

Is it possible to get an upgrade if you don't choose any preferences?

Yes, the revenue dept. upgrades do not use C&A preferences. However, the C&A upgrades now require the upgrade preferences to be set.

I am 2 days from sailing, but decided to check anyways after reading this thread. There are 4 of us in a cabin (me, bf, bf's brother and brothers friend, both 17). We had 3112 Oceanview and saw we were upgraded to 8124 balcony! I am so excited for this, but you guys are the only ones I can share my excitement with right now!

I am 2 days from sailing, but decided to check anyways after reading this thread. There are 4 of us in a cabin (me, bf, bf's brother and brothers friend, both 17). We had 3112 Oceanview and saw we were upgraded to 8124 balcony! I am so excited for this, but you guys are the only ones I can share my excitement with right now!

That is FANTASTIC.

With four of you, you will be particularly happy with your balcony! And especially in Alaska!

Have a great cruise!

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Congrats!!!!:)

So I just booked a cruise, full payment due next week, went through my travel agent. ( one time exception made by RCCL because I used gift cards that say no TA)

Did a Suite Guarantee. But used $1950 in RCCL Gift cards ( earn through work) so revenue won't like me.

Per a well known website I can see what rooms are left. Looks like 2 handicapped JS and 7 GS, 2 OW one two bedroom and RS.

This upgrade fairy is just a myth here, 18 cruises no fairy.

Really hoping for a GS or above. Worse case I get a larger JS Handicapped.

Congrats to all that got upgraded ! Sprinkle a little dust my way!

Edited by LizC

Excellent, the fairy lives!:)

May I ask how you had you upgrade preferences set?

Congratulations !!

recently cruised on the Oasis on 5/10..always book a GS when we sail..this time I decided to change preferences on our account to we would accept an upgrade, not thinking it would happen. Got to the Ft. Lauderdale to check in at the port..luggage tags on luggage to GS...go to check in..the guy who was checking us in looked confused..goes over to get sea pass card..couldn't find it..goes back to computer..then back to get sea pass card..says our room has been changed..told us our room #, but I said what deck??...he was not sure..I said is this your first day on the job..he said no!..had to ask one of the agents next to him...he said, oh you have been upgraded to a crown loft suite!!..quite a surprise to us..very nice upgrade. But our luggage didn't find its way to our new cabin until 8PM...but that was ok:) I am sure we won't have an upgrade like that again.

Karen