Giovanni's dining question

Hi everyone, sorry to bother you all but I've experienced dining onboard at Speciality Restaurants and I've also read a lot about some of the other restaurants I haven't been to personally but I did have a question about Giovanni's in particular.

I know that the usual dining experience for these sorts of restaurants (aside from Izumi or Johnny's Rockets) is, where you pay a cover charge, you generally can have:

Starter (or Starters, some have more than one)

Main Entree (one only)

Dessert (or, I suppose occasionally, Desserts, although I can't imagine managing that!)

But with Italian dining in particular, in a true dining experience, you have many more courses including a Pasta and a Main Entree. The Giovanni's menu is presented in this way, but based on my experiences in other Specialty Restaurants, my guess is that you can either have a Pasta or a Main Entree, but not both. Is this correct? Has anyone experienced this differently?

Thanks very much for your time and responses.

Giovanni's is great as they serve family style and therefore sides and appetizers can be shared easily. I dine solo sometimes and they are able to control portions as I just tell them I want to try a dish, for instance.

The desert is served by cart and presented by your server and therefore it is possible to sample some deserts as well as they are not set portions from the galley.

They do restrict only the main coarse category to 1 main course. If an extra main course is desired they are happy to provide it with a $10 additional fee.

We went to Giovannis on AOS a couple of weeks ago, we both had starter, pasta, main and dessert. DH also had a soup (which surprisingly they bought before the starter). The pastas were small portions which they put in the middle of the table to share.

Julie

We went to Giovannis on AOS a couple of weeks ago, we both had starter, pasta, main and dessert. DH also had a soup (which surprisingly they bought before the starter). The pastas were small portions which they put in the middle of the table to share.

This sounds a bit more like traditional Italian dining, at least what I have experienced anyway!!

yes you can have apps pastas and mains, as in my signature at the bottom.

Thank you both soooo much! I really appreciate it!!! Definitely looking forward to at least one meal there, possibly two, on our 14-night Med cruise in a few weeks!!

Make sure you try the risotto! Absolutely the best thing I've tried in any of the restaurants.

But hey, I'm from the coastal Carolinas - It's rice. :D

I second the risotto!! It was so good that I wanted to go again and have more but never got the chance. I really enjoyed my meal and our server just kept bringing out more dishes to try. It was the best $15 (went the first night so there was a discount) I have ever spent on a meal!!!

Make sure you try the risotto! Absolutely the best thing I've tried in any of the restaurants.

But hey, I'm from the coastal Carolinas - It's rice. :D

I do love risotto though I'm not the biggest fan of mushrooms and my husband won't touch them. That being said, the Maryland crab ravioli looks fantastic--especially given that I am from Maryland!! :D

I second the risotto!! It was so good that I wanted to go again and have more but never got the chance. I really enjoyed my meal and our server just kept bringing out more dishes to try. It was the best $15 (went the first night so there was a discount) I have ever spent on a meal!!!

Good to know!! I think with two whole weeks at our disposal we may be fortunate enough to manage a second visit!!

Skip the risotto,:D try the gnocchi with bleu cheese sauce. Pure heaven! Also, the osso bucco was amazing! We liked Giovanni's Table so much that we ended up going three times!

Sherri:)

Hi everyone, sorry to bother you all but I've experienced dining onboard at Speciality Restaurants and I've also read a lot about some of the other restaurants I haven't been to personally but I did have a question about Giovanni's in particular.

I know that the usual dining experience for these sorts of restaurants (aside from Izumi or Johnny's Rockets) is, where you pay a cover charge, you generally can have:

Starter (or Starters, some have more than one)

Main Entree (one only)

Dessert (or, I suppose occasionally, Desserts, although I can't imagine managing that!)

I cannot imagine any of the specialty restaurants would restrict you from ordering more than 1 starter or main entree. They are just like the main dining rooms except you're paying a fee - so order what you want!

I cannot imagine any of the specialty restaurants would restrict you from ordering more than 1 starter or main entree. They are just like the main dining rooms except you're paying a fee - so order what you want!

In Chops and Portofino they charge $10 per any extra entree.

We've never really had good luck with the entrees at Giovanni's, and consequently if we go again sometime, I expect we'll enjoy appetizers, salad, soup, then concentrate on pastas and skip the entrees entirely. But each to his/her own!

Edited by CntPAcruiser

But with Italian dining in particular, in a true dining experience, you have many more courses including a Pasta and a Main Entree. The Giovanni's menu is presented in this way, but based on my experiences in other Specialty Restaurants, my guess is that you can either have a Pasta or a Main Entree, but not both. Is this correct? Has anyone experienced this differently?

We just got of Vision where we ate in Giovanni's. I had a five course meal to include soup and dessert. The waiter asked if we wanted our pasta and entrees together which we chose. It was a little much that way and all decided to have them separate in the future. Everything was excellent!

You order what you want to eat but its the main entree you only can order one. We went twice at Giovanni's on the Allure last week, I had two appetizers plus the salad, no problems.

True! The main entrée is limited to one but you can order all of anything else you wish. You won't leave hungry!

We had dinner in Giovanni's three nights on our Oasis cruise. YUM! :)

LuLu

In which specialty restaurants have you been able to order more than one main dish? I have ordered more than one appetizer but it is my understanding that they charge an additional fee if you want an extra main dish.