old school vs. new ?

Just a few questions I have, looking to sail on enchantment soon, I did have a cruise book to sail back in june of last year but ended up having to cancel..

Im still working on trying to convince my bf to take a cruise, and I maybe having a break through:D as we were at the beach yesterday and he said he'd actually take one!

Now, the last time I sailed was monarch back in 2010 (I think). And as I read more and more reviews it seems like a lot has changed and I am very much used to what I now refer as 'old school' style of cruising... so the questions I have are:

1. Can you still board with just an I.d. and birth certificate?

2.opinions please on mtd vs.the old way of early or late seating?

3. Are the drink packages a way of saving money?

4.do they still have the photo area withthe actual prints you can buy or is it all newer withthe face recognition?

5. We drink soda, but not enoughto want to purchase a soda package, is there a way to bring some on board with us?

Also any pros and cons or opinions or advice for sailing enchantment are welcome :)

Just a few questions I have, looking to sail on enchantment soon, I did have a cruise book to sail back in june of last year but ended up having to cancel..

Im still working on trying to convince my bf to take a cruise, and I maybe having a break through:D as we were at the beach yesterday and he said he'd actually take one!

Now, the last time I sailed was monarch back in 2010 (I think). And as I read more and more reviews it seems like a lot has changed and I am very much used to what I now refer as 'old school' style of cruising... so the questions I have are:

On closed loop US (same departure / return port) based cruises, yes.

Early and late seating is still offered - MTD is an additional option allowing flexibility in choosing your dining times.

Depending on how much you drink each day, yes.

4.do they still have the photo area withthe actual prints you can buy or is it all newer withthe face recognition?

The retinal recognition kiosks are not on all ships, but all ships still also display the prints for selection.

5. We drink soda, but not enoughto want to purchase a soda package, is there a way to bring some on board with us?

Technically no, but people report no issues at security with soda.

Also any pros and cons or opinions or advice for sailing enchantment are welcome :)

We have not sailed Enchantment, so perhaps others can help.

See my responses above.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Here is my opinion on dining. The traditional early and late seatings just don't fit with our cruising style. We like having the freedom to spend a little extra time on an excursion without having to rush back or to rest up for a bit when we come back to the ship.

We have also found that we were not enjoying many of our table mates as we had in the past. Not only that, but people are rude and don't advise the dining captain or their fellow table mates that they will not be coming to dinner, or are late for dinner and the staff has to hold up until everyone is there to take your orders.

For that reason, we started doing My Time Dining. We love the freedom it affords us. If you really like a team, you can ask to be seated at their station. They quickly learn your preferences and you have all the benefits of traditional dining without having to wait for rude people, endure painful table talk and stick to someone else's schedule.

If you befriend another couple with My Time Dining, you can arrange to have dinner together. You can't do that with traditional diners.

You can have a table for two, which are usually close together so you will meet other diners, or ask for a larger table, but you will have to wait until they fill the larger table before you can order. The two-tops are best.

That's my opinion.

Have a wonderful cruise.:D

Yes, both of the Enchantment's current routes would allow for this.

I like MTD when it is just my wife and I. It gives us the flexibility to just go whenever we want. When we are with a group I like traditional (late seating) so that everyone has to be there at a certain time and we aren't constantly trying to round everyone up.

Maybe, it depends on how much you drink. You'll need to figure out what you usually consume and do the rough math based on current drink prices. I don't have a recent bar menu, but they are on here.

The Enchantment still prints out pictures, but they also have the digital kiosks.

The rules say no, but many ports/ships will allow a reasonable amount. Just understand that they may say no.

Thank you everyone! Im definitley leaning towards mtd... its sounds like something that would really work for us. Still looking around though. And as far as how much soda we would bring it only be about a 6 or 12 pack. Thank you all again!

Keep the info coming please:D

I just wanted to put in that my family prefers traditional dining. We like to know where we are going and who will be serving us every night. There are all different sizes of tables so you do not have to get a large table either. That being said, even when sitting at a large table we have always been able to order whenever we were ready to order. I have never waited for my table mates to show up. Sometimes our kids have activities and order everything in a rush and eat and split (teenagers) before we have ordered appetizers. The waiters are there to serve you. Don't be scared of traditional dining.

Just another tip --sometimes my kids really enjoy something served at dinner so the next night they skip the dining room all together and head to windjammer the next night. Windjammer lets them get as much as they can eat which is great for teenagers.:)

A couple things I will mention along with what others have said.

We just got of the Freedom of the Seas a couple weeks ago.

In regard to the drink packages. If it is the soda package, it is a good deal, IF you remember to take your drink cup with you at all times. You can also get virgin drinks also.

As for the photo package, I had never done this before, but my friend and I decided to do it. I believe you were asking about the paper pictures. That is the ONLY way I go, but you can get them the other way. On the FOTS, the pictures are 23. For $299 which sounds like a lot of money, which it is, you can take ALL the pictures you want during your whole cruise, and have them. We probably took at least 60 8 x 10 pictures home with us. These were pictures taken at the very beginning of the cruise, until the end. Also pictures taken at each port/island. We were very happy with the pictures, and you can take your SeaPass card and scan it a a kiosk, and it will bring up all the pictures you have taken. Also, if you have a problem finding the pictures that are out, just ASK, and they are good about helping you find it.

Another thing that some people already knew about, but we didn't. If you don't want to carry your luggage (after the last day of the cruise), and you fly, you can pay $20 for valet luggage, once you put your luggage out the night before, you won't see your luggage until you arrive at your destination. It is a good deal.

A couple things I will mention along with what others have said.

We just got of the Freedom of the Seas a couple weeks ago.

In regard to the drink packages. If it is the soda package, it is a good deal, IF you remember to take your drink cup with you at all times. You can also get virgin drinks also.

As for the photo package, I had never done this before, but my friend and I decided to do it. I believe you were asking about the paper pictures. That is the ONLY way I go, but you can get them the other way. On the FOTS, the pictures are 23. For $299 which sounds like a lot of money, which it is, you can take ALL the pictures you want during your whole cruise, and have them. We probably took at least 60 8 x 10 pictures home with us. These were pictures taken at the very beginning of the cruise, until the end. Also pictures taken at each port/island. We were very happy with the pictures, and you can take your SeaPass card and scan it a a kiosk, and it will bring up all the pictures you have taken. Also, if you have a problem finding the pictures that are out, just ASK, and they are good about helping you find it.

Another thing that some people already knew about, but we didn't. If you don't want to carry your luggage (after the last day of the cruise), and you fly, you can pay $20 for valet luggage, once you put your luggage out the night before, you won't see your luggage until you arrive at your destination. It is a good deal.

The soda package, also known as the refreshment package, covers soda only. You can get soda from the freestyle machines using the cup that has the RFID chip in it. You can also get soda at any bar or dining venue by just showing your sea pass card. You do not have to carry your cup with you at all times. The soda package does not include virgin cocktails.

The replenish package includes soda, virgin cocktails, premium coffee, premium teas, fresh squeezed orange juice, and still or sparkling bottled water. You do not have to carry your cup all the time with this package either.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, you do not have to carry your cup with you as I stated before, but when my friend ask for a soda at these other places, the cups were small compared to the cup that she normally carried. Now someone said the "virgin" drinks were not included, well maybe I am wrong, but when my friend ask for a drink with her pass at the dinner table, they said she could ONLY have the virgin drink, which she did. When she wanted the other drinks, she had to sign for those.

I know you will get plenty of comments, but I thought I'd focus on this one. Your trying to convince your BF correct? If we would rather dine alone with just you, pick the MTD. If we would like to be at a table with a group pick the traditional dining. You can get both size tables in both places, but most seem to feel its easier getting the table for 2 at MTD.

We like tablemates...have never had to "rush" to get to dinner...ever!! We prefer late seating, as there are fewer kids in the dining room for the late seating. With MTD, you will most likely be alone....heck, we eat alone at home nightly! We ENJOY having others to share our day with!

Whether the drink packages "save money" will totally depend how much you drink....usually 7+ cocktails (or beers) per day per person.

Edited by cb at sea