alternate cruise line question

pjo

What I find fascinating is to compare the space ratios of the Breakaway against the Summit. Space ratio is a very common cruise ship calculation determined by simply dividing tonnage by the passenger capacity. It is theoretically a good measure of how crowded a ship can feel. The Breakaway has a pretty pathetic space ratio of about 32 while the Summit enjoys a ratio of 42. In simple terms this means the Summit has 25% more space per passenger then the Breakaway. On the other hand, the Breakaway is a very new ship (and we think one of the ugliest cruise ships) with lots of amenities, loads of eating venues, etc. The Summit is an older Celebrity ship that does lack many of the "bells and whistles" found on the newer ship. Norwegian has done well with their concept of being very untraditional (pack em in, give em lots of options, etc). Celebrity is a much more traditional line (although this might be changing due to some key executive changes in the past couple of years).

Hank

There are no car rentals in Bermuda. One must hire a taxi, (very expensive), rent a moped/scooter (dangerous) or take the bus. I always rented the modpeds and loved the independence and thrill but I also saw a lot of tourists with "road rash" from accidents. Even I took a terrible spill which left me with permanent scars, even today. They drive on the left and have roundabouts that can be very confusing.

It's not a place for a novice to begin to learn how to ride. To many other factors to worry about besides driving on the left side of the road, following a map, worrying about traffic behind you trying to pass. Other than that it's a great Island & if you can cope with the scooter transportation as primary transportation you would be hard pressed to find a cleaner more friendly place to visit. It's to bad they don't have any cruise lines that go there from Florida or I'd be there 4 or 5 times a season. :D

If you don't mind cruising from New Jersey, one of the nicer Royal Caribbean ships (Liberty of the Seas) does that itinerary. That would be my choice and we like Royal Caribbean as much as we like Princess. With kids, we like Royal Caribbean better. Liberty of the Seas would be an easy choice for me, but it does go to King's Wharf, if that's an issue.

Edited by hubofhockey

If you don't mind cruising from New Jersey, one of the nicer Royal Caribbean ships (Liberty of the Seas) does that itinerary. That would be my choice and we like Royal Caribbean as much as we like Princess. With kids, we like Royal Caribbean better. Liberty of the Seas would be an easy choice for me, but it does go to King's Wharf, if that's an issue.

I'd do Liberty too but I don't think she does the 7 day cruise, she either does a 9 day with other ports or a 5 day with two days in Bermuda. For the original OP, there's no way with three kids/teens/men I'd do Veendam. That ship is ready for the scrap yard and not a good demographic for the age of the people in this group.

For Bermuda, I'd book whichever ship docks in Hamilton. If you dock at King's Wharf, you'll spend a lot more time (and money) getting anywhere. I would much rather be in Hamilton than King's Wharf.

I agree that this should be the overriding criterion, especially as you would be off the ship sightseeing so much.

We successfully rented and used scooters during our Bermuda cruise.

FWIW, our Celebrity Summit cruise was one of our best cruise experiences, but it was 6 years ago. The service on that cruise was the best we've ever enjoyed. Our one NCL cruise will be our only NCL cruise, but it was 14 years ago. We salvaged it by dining in specialty dining every night, but this was when there was only one specialty restaurant and it was only $5pp.

It's to bad they don't have any cruise lines that go there from Florida or I'd be there 4 or 5 times a season. :D

RCCL Vision.... 10 day sailings a few times a year. Great rates for Florida residents (under $700 for inside for a 10 day sailing). Charleston, Bermuda, Nassau and Coco Cay... departing Fort Lauderdale. The next one is August 18th... If the new Mrs. Griff were patient, we'd be on that one.

RCCL Vision.... 10 day sailings a few times a year. Great rates for Florida residents (under $700 for inside for a 10 day sailing). Charleston, Bermuda, Nassau and Coco Cay... departing Fort Lauderdale. The next one is August 18th... If the new Mrs. Griff were patient, we'd be on that one.

Thanks. I've got to look into that one. I'd even do an inside cabin.

I just checked my TA & they've got a Sept 1 sailing for around $600P/P inside cabin with cabin credit.

Of course we wouldn't have all our Princess perks but the best thing is it does go to Bermuda. One of my favorites. I haven't been there in 14 years.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

With younger people. ....any ship but the Summit. ..... if you are a long time cruiser ...HAL has an older crowd......NCL and Carnival a younger crowd. ...BREAKAWAY HANDS DOWN. As a long time cruiser I would skip Bermuda and take another Princess cruise :) Bermuda has beautiful beaches. ....the island is just too cluttered for me.

We did a Bermuda cruise two years ago on Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore. I see you say you wanted to sail out of NY, but I must tell you how easy the port of Baltimore is. We are big fans of "easy" when it comes to travel, especially embarkation and disembarkation ports, and very little about NY is ever easy!

Royal Caribbean is a great alternative to Princess and excellent for teens and kids, However the ship goes to Kings Wharf, not Hamilton. We used the ferry and bus system which worked out fine. There was also evening entertainment outside at Kings Wharf which was very enjoyable...RCCL even had their singers performing outside on a stage. There were vendors right at the dock selling various tours and renting scooters...we did a glass bottom boat excursion which we both enjoyed very much. Great scenery!

Hamilton, IMHO, seemed to have gone downhill a bit since we first honeymooned in Bermuda in the 1980's. Many of the lovely stores were gone, and I was a bit disappointed in Hamilton. Perhaps when ships call again on Hamilton things will improve.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

As a long time cruiser I would skip Bermuda and take another Princess cruise :) Bermuda has beautiful beaches. ....the island is just too cluttered for me.

Absolutely... I used to travel there for business a few times a year. I would choose to avoid it, especially in the Summer months... I'd much prefer to get back on to Princess, and they are running some nice deals on the CB... Unfortunately their itineraries are a little stale, does any long-time cruiser ever really want to go back to Nassau (No), and the Boss wants to go to Bermuda now (she's never been).... So....

I wished some smaller ships were going in so we could skip King's Warf.. but no can do (now)...

So next week I'll post up a Princess loyalist's perspective of the NCL Breakaway. I did notice that NCL has raised the price of their UBP from $49 to $59 /person/day (plus gratuity).. I hope Princess doesn't follow suit... Although I am guessing there are more heavy drinkers on NCL than on Princess. (let's please NOT turn this in to another "Only drunks get the UPB" thread... I was just only commenting on something I noticed)

Edited by SheepdogGriff

People actually think Bermuda is to cluttered??? Comparing Bermuda to St Martin, St Thomas or most other Caribbean islands & I think Bermuda has it beat hands down. There are beaches there that you practically have to yourself - just stay away from all the popular spots like Horseshoe beach, Baby beach, Tobacco beach, etc. and you'll have the place to yourself. I suppose if you go there looking for shopping you'll be disappointed especially with the prices compared to other vacation spots but that's not we go for.

I have never been to Bermuda. Aside from golf, what is the draw? Not being snarky, sincerely want to know!

No words needed: http://rumshopryan.com/2012/09/07/bermuda-horseshoe-bay-photos/

But some words anyway: No crowds, no traffic, no crime to speak of, no-to-few junky shops, no fast food joints. Beautiful scenery. History. Friendly but politely reserved people. Men in Bermuda shorts and suit coats. Pubs. And did I mention the beaches?

No words needed: http://rumshopryan.com/2012/09/07/bermuda-horseshoe-bay-photos/

But some words anyway: No crowds, no traffic, no crime to speak of, no-to-few junky shops, no fast food joints. Beautiful scenery. History. Friendly but politely reserved people. Men in Bermuda shorts and suit coats. Pubs. And did I mention the beaches?

snorkeling?