What does the future hold for Azamara

baytraller

Be careful, you will likely be slammed as I have in stating the obvious-AZ needs to spend about 40+ million and modernize their ships or let the competition preside over the funeral. As Jazzbeau indicates above, the competition is only getting more aggressive for cruise dollars. nI have spent may months on Crystal, Seabourn and Oceania so don't say I am unaware of the competition! There are a lot of choices out there, it seems AZ doesn't realize the landscape

I have spe

On quest now

Ship is tired

Carpeting is badly stained

Internet must be upgraded

Crew not warm and fuzzy this sailing. That was the main attraction

Very little live music on board

Some will sail Azamara no matter the age and condition of the ships. That will be their clientele plus charters

That's fine

We will not

Maybe that's their path to success

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I readily accept as true the statements by Mr. Pimentel and those attributed to officers or managers of rank on recent Azamara cruises that Azamara has become profitable and appreciate the explanation from Ms. MacLaird on the economic benfits of charters to a cruise line. I have recently been on a Azamara cruise; enjoyed the experience greatly; and, though I cruise infrequently, look often at Azamara's offerings because of Azamara's more creative itineraries and greater time in port. I come as friend, not as foe.

On our recent Azamara cruise--which was selected because of the itinerary--we found the Journey well maintained, and the service and entertainment (especially for the size of the ship) excellent. In short, we appreciated that the officers and staff on the Journey really worked hard so that their guests would have a great time. On the less than totally plus side, I found the food average and the ship nice but overall less than special (especially compared to the Oceania Marina, on which I have cruised).

However, I pick cruises based on itineraries and then pricing, and for those reasons, I will definitely consider Azamara with any future cruises, and I can strongly recommend Azamara to friends. In short, I want Azamara to be around for a long time.

The real question--which I highlighted above--is this: How does the parent company see Azamara and its future? Is Azamara valued principally because it produces some profit (though any profit would be small compared to the profits generated by RC and Celebrity), because it provides some prestige and diversity to the parent company, or because of cross-selling opportunities?

Where does the parent company want Azamara to be in five or 10 years? And is the parent company willing to invest substantially in Azamara so that cruise line can meet whatever goals have been set?

I have no idea what the answers to these questions are. And nearly all on this forum, except for Ms. MacLaird, will be speculating in any responses offered. But I think that these questions are the reason that this thread has received so many responses.

Edited by Reggiefan

The obvious question why didnt you look at Oceania and there newly redone R ships..between April, May and June O put 17million in each of the ships and they are gorgeous!!

Jancruz1

Jan is right. Azamara's ships need a major overhaul. The renovated r ships are gorgeous.

Personally I don't believe the hype I have read on these boards Talk is cheap. When the parent company puts some money into the line then maybe I will believe

Do u expect them to post anything but a rosy picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree and if they spent some real $$$ and huge overhaul, we would reconsider. The itineraries are superb, but that alone cannot keep the supposedly "upscale clientele" they are trying to market. We know better and would not live this way in our own homes, let alone a few weeks a year. Thank goodness we all have Choices.

Hello Kiawahdon, as an ex-Revenue Manager of Seabourn and Cunard, I speak from many years of experience when I tell you charters are extremely profitable, not only in net dollars, but also with up-front, non-refundable down-payments. This means the money may be in the bank for many years in advance, and cannot be recalled.

I note, with a bit of surprise, that besides Azamara, your other favorite lines that you've listed on your profile are Seabourn and Oceania. I'm sure you're well aware that both of these lines welcome charters and large groups. Note the webpage on my old alma mater: http://www.seabourn.com/corporateIncentives/Main.action?WT.ac=footer_charters

And Oceania Cruises: http://www.oceaniacruises.com/chartersincentives/default.aspx. And for the record, here is our charter webpage: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/charters

Since you're obviously familiar with, and favor lines which all welcome and operate many charters, why the outrage over our 2016 charters? and why pretend charters are unfamiliar to you, or a sign of financial ruin, when all of your favorite lines welcome them with enough advance notice and the terms are right?

I do welcome your posts, Kiawadon. I'm just trying to understand what others are calling 'negativity' and I might call 'curious'. A quick review of your prior posts on CC indicate you are extremely well-versed in the world of stocks and finance. I wonder what your true intention is for the disruptive threads?

Best regards,

Bonnie

Not sure what the intention is of Kiawahdon, but what is the intention of Azamara's Chiefing Blogging Officer? What is the role of the CBO on this forum? This post seems to cross the boundary of listening and providing factual information.

Not sure what the intention is of Kiawahdon, but what is the intention of Azamara's Chiefing Blogging Officer? What is the role of the CBO on this forum? This post seems to cross the boundary of listening and providing factual information.

As I responded a few minutes ago on another thread re. the role of the CBO,

"...yes I'm an employee of Azamara but on the CC forum board I am a participant. I am neither the Host nor Moderator...that is our Host Andy. I comment when I have something to add to the conversation. I try to respond to questions, usually within 24 hours.

What I am best at is listening to what you're talking about. It is a good way for our small company to be PROACTIVE and to MAKE CHANGES when we are perhaps off course."

The factual information is that all cruise lines solicit and accept charters.

Wish there was a like button available !!

I think Azamara will continue to score with the more interesting and varied itineraries, their onboard ambience and the great team of employees. For some, this will be weighed against other lines with newer ships and dramatically better cabins and facilities.

I will be interested to see the reception for Viking's new cruise ship, 928 passengers and all-verandah.

Having made a request for a Viking brochure I am bombarded weekly by post with promotional leaflets, mini brochures and offers. I am beginning to think that the company has far too much money to chuck around. Their ships look gorgeous but the itineraries are nothing unusual and the prices are high because tours are included, something I do not want. I do hope that Azamara does not go down the route of including tours. I would be happy if they ditched the Azamazing Evenings.

Edited by Marmaduke

• 5 weeks later...

I have been considering Azamara for my Spring Cruise, and my main interest besides the ports of course, is the food and the live entertainment. so any additional posts i will read regarding such. I enjoyed the entertainment most on Royal and the food I would give slight edge to Celebrity. the report on the condition of the Azamara ships seems to vary in these posts, so i am curious

I have been considering Azamara for my Spring Cruise, and my main interest besides the ports of course, is the food and the live entertainment. so any additional posts i will read regarding such. I enjoyed the entertainment most on Royal and the food I would give slight edge to Celebrity. the report on the condition of the Azamara ships seems to vary in these posts, so i am curious

I can report there is certainly nothing wrong with the Journey that I can see. We just sailed a b2b in September. The new deck and balcony furniture looks fantastic and, to me, it's still a beautiful ship. In my opinion, the food is much better than it was on X Silhouette. The staff truly does make you feel like family.

Watch for my upcoming trip report.......soon. I'm still going through pictures.

Try it....you will not be sorry.

Edited by midwestchick