123 is back starting June 2

Cruise Junky

I have several cruises booked with Celebrity others, and also some I've been tracking and considering. It will be interesting indeed to see what the prices do this time tomorrow.

Either way, as a long time cruising fan ( and certainly Celebrity fan), I love the 123 promo. Even if you convinced me I'm paying for it up front, I would still love it. I think that everyone or most on board having a room credit or unlimited drinks makes for a much more lively and fun environment!

Hi back, Cruise Junky. Are you booking something else tonight?

Wonder how long the waits on the phone will be tomorrow...........

No. We thought about it. We booked Spain and Portugal for October 2015 but I think that'll be it until 2016 med comes out. We already have a lot on our plate. We debated Solstice Alaska but would honestly rather a week in Hawaii instead..prefer warm vacations :)

Just to clarify. Through the years I have been supportive of most of the changes in the Celebrity product because I understand that it's necessary to adapt to changing market conditions. Did I love all the changes? Not necessarily, but I embraced them because I understand the necessity for change. The basic ambiance and feel of the Celebrity product remained great.

The Celebrity staff and crew were some of the most well trained, competent people on the seas. They seemed to be proud to work for Celebrity and really enjoyed their opportunity. They worked long hours but there wasn't that feeling of overworked stress that I see with many of them now. They still do their absolute best to try to make everyone's cruise something special but I think they are fighting a losing battle. They can only do what is physically possible for them. I think it's difficult to describe to someone who hasn't been sailing long with Celebrity.

The dining room is only one example, but when you have fewer employees trying to serve many more people with beverage packages who want wine with each course of their meal, something has to suffer. It's not rocket science.

The thing that is disturbing to me is that people actually think they are getting something for nothing. The prices have been raised and re-raised to account for the cost of the packages plus raised a lot more. On top of that there have been cuts made to the product. The point I am trying to make is that I think the raises in price and cuts to service are becoming unreasonable and are a short term success for this President but may not bode well for the future. My only concern is that Celebrity remain a great product and not just like any one of the others.

My own personal treatment is beyond excellent but I am concerned about the whole experience for everyone.

I have always been a Celebrity cheerleader, but I'm not a fool.

Very well reasoned and makes sense to us having been regulars and X fans for many yrs.....the packages also seem to be skewing the demographics attracting some who have come over mainly b/c of it....hope the new X fans embrace and appreciate the total Celebrity experience rather than turn X into just another cruise line that happens to include free drinks!

Edited by hcat

There is nothing "wrong" with them. I'm not drinking just to drink alcohol. I like to enjoy a good wine and a better tasting Martini. Just because it's free doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather pay for something I will enjoy. Just me.

I know what you mean. I don't like the Elite wines and I don't like the gin they use in the Elite martinis. I can discern different gins and wine quality. I would rather buy wine I like and Martinis I like than drink the free ones. I won't drink those. The only free elite alcohol I will usually drink is beer because they usually have some beer brands for Elites that are good. I don't get the drink packages because I don't drink that much. The alcohol part of my bill has always been less than just taking an OBC when they have the 321 or pick perks deals.

Edited by Charles4515

Are you on the same kind of ship going to the same ports at the same time of the year? Comparing the exact same Med cruise from just the last couple of years, the increases are astounding. For Concierge cabins with less benefits $600. pp more and for Sky Suites almost double.

I know you're opinion is that beverage packages are causing prices to increase, but I want you to know, that correlation does not equal causation.

See this for examples: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27537142

I would argue that the biggest causation for cruise prices increases are:

1. Cabins and sailings in high demand cause those cruises and cabins to be priced higher

2. The cruise industry is coming out of a very bad slump as we (slowly) leave a recession, as they recover promos or not, they can raise prices.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I know you're opinion is that beverage packages are causing prices to increase, but I want you to know, that correlation does not equal causation.

1. Cabins and sailings in high demand cause those cruises and cabins to be priced higher

2. The cruise industry is coming out of a very bad slump as we (slowly) leave a recession, as they recover promos or not, they can raise prices.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I took a Med cruise last year and am doing one this year. The price is higher this year when all is said and done with credits etc. Been hoping the price will drop but so far it has gone up....

If the cruise industry is coming out of the slump why are they offering these almost continuous promos? 321, then Pick your Perk, Take 2, Take 2 plus, back to 321 Go. I do think they are moving the pea around to get bookings. On the Bermuda and Caribbean cruises I have got an advantage with every deal so some prices are falling. With Take 2 Plus my fare went up on one cruise but I got an OBC that covered the difference. On another the price went down and my OBC went up from $200 to $300.

So perhaps there is more demand for the Med this year and less for the Caribbean.

I took a Med cruise last year and am doing one this year. The price is higher this year when all is said and done with credits etc. Been hoping the price will drop but so far it has gone up....

If the cruise industry is coming out of the slump why are they offering these almost continuous promos? 321, then Pick your Perk, Take 2, Take 2 plus, back to 321 Go. I do think they are moving the pea around to get bookings. On the Bermuda and Caribbean cruises I have got an advantage with every deal so some prices are falling. With Take 2 Plus my fare went up on one cruise but I got an OBC that covered the difference. On another the price went down and my OBC went up from $200 to $300.

So perhaps there is more demand for the Med this year and less for the Caribbean.

Supply and Demand. South American, Antartic, Panama Canal, all way up. Most cruises are up some, but not as much. Some, as you said are down, even net of promos.

The incentives work, marketing works, and people are booking. You don't say what cabin levels your booking, but price increases and savings vary ship to ship, and cabin type to cabin type.

If the cruise goes up by $500, and they give you a $500 OBC, you are even, but the cruise line is most certainly ahead. The $500 in OBC only costs them $250 to implement (at most, mark-ups onboard for most things re event more) BUT you also need to take into account their lost opportunity cost, as you MAY Have spent more onboard that they are now not getting. There is some breakage in OBC even though it is more freely spent. It's calculation they must (should) be doing.

The best and only way to look at history of the price of that cabin ince being released is to look have looked at the price when first released, or use the fishy site to look at history. Wouldn't it be great if that site had the previous year or two history?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I look at and judge price increases by what they are when they first come out. The supply and demand comes in a little later in the process. I agree that there are other reasons besides the drink packages, I just think they are being used to obfuscate what they are doing. I understand how economics work and I also understand when they are playing games to try to make it difficult for some people to see what's going on.

I look at and judge price increases by what they are when they first come out. The supply and demand comes in a little later in the process. I agree that there are other reasons besides the drink packages, I just think they are being used to obfuscate what they are doing. I understand how economics work and I also understand when they are playing games to try to make it difficult for some people to see what's going on.

I don't disagree, that's their job, our's is to be informed. Maybe you like popular cruises and popular cabins (Aqua?) and that is why you're seeing bigger increases? Most of the cruises we've booked are up slightly or not at all from last year, but some are up more as there is a lot of demand.

No matter what, it's supply and demand, if they raise the prices by more than the extras cost, and we still book they win. We win too, as long as we enjoy our vacations, so if we're willing to pay, and we have fun, it's a WIN WIN :D

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Royal Caribbean on one of their quarterly reports (I think that is what it was lol) stated that the Caribbean was saturated (too many ships) and all cruise lines were under price pressure. So good deals in the Caribbean but not so much elsewhere.

Edited by Christine Frances

Royal Caribbean on one of their quarterly reports (I think that is what it was lol) stated that the Caribbean was saturated and all cruise lines were under price pressure. So good deals in the Caribbean but not so much elsewhere.

And why we see ships leaving Caribbean. Epic left for Europe, lots of ships to Asia even Quantum before too long. Growth there, not so much in the Caribbean, which we do for relaxation, *yawn*.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

What I do know is that we could never get served at the Ocean View outside bar, and after waiting for 30 mins for one drink in the Sky lounge before dinner one night, we gave up. The martini bar, our absolute favourite, was always rammed, and we could never get a seat. I certainly don't want to generalise, or make sweeping statements, but we never had this when the free bev packages weren't on offer. We've always had the packages (premium) and been happy to pay for them, and in all honesty wish Celebrity would stop offering them as a perk.

Just to let you know it's not wide spread, we never had an issue with either getting service outside the Ocean View, in fact some days it's was almost too much... 4 servers asking if we wanted a drink while we were still on the same beer and we always got a seat at the martini bar (which has nothing to do with the fact we were camped out there waiting for them to open...kidding...Sort of :) ) So I'm not arguing with you, just stating that what you experienced was not the case on Solstice and there was a lot of people with the drink package.

Cruised with the 123 program for the first and only time on the Solstice in Oct 2013 (South Pacific in and out of Sydney), and they were out of most beers after day 9 of 12 and had to restock with nasty Fiji beer. The crew said they had their stock of beers pulled from their parties to go to passengers. The molecular bar was out of nitrogen after a week, and finding a seat at the martini bar was nearly impossible and we just hovered until something opened up. The wait for fresh OJ in the AM at the buffet was insane, and they ran out several times. None of this occurred on my 2 previous cruises so I believe it had to have been because of the 123 offer. This is not a complaint about the 123 promotion, but just my experience. My next cruise is in Oct 2014 (similar itinerary but on the Century), and I am curious as to what will go on. I've been on the Century and loved the small martini bar, and I am trying to be optimistic that it will not be a nightmare like the Solstice was. Part of my attraction to Celebrity was that they offered the beverage package, and I was happy to pay for it because I felt it was value for money. I was over the moon when it was given as a perk, but if my experience is the same this year as it was last year I probably be hesitant to cruise with Celebrity again because I just didn't like the negatives I experienced.

Just to let you know it's not wide spread, we never had an issue with either getting service outside the Ocean View, in fact some days it's was almost too much... 4 servers asking if we wanted a drink while we were still on the same beer and we always got a seat at the martini bar (which has nothing to do with the fact we were camped out there waiting for them to open...kidding...Sort of :) ) So I'm not arguing with you, just stating that what you experienced was not the case on Solstice and there was a lot of people with the drink package.

Don't worry, I didn't think that at all - and I'm delighted that it was different on the Solstice. Sadly, I think is may have been the UK/UK sailing, which we are not in a hurry to repeat,lol. We already had Eclipse booked for the Fjords next May, which is definitely under consideration as to whether we change it.

We booked Reflection whilst we were on board for next year, Rome/Rome, as we wanted to do an overnight in Istanbul again. Here's hoping we'll see a difference then :)

Lou

loving the fact that several travel agents have managed to advise that the 123 GO offer is back and Celebrity UK don't have this on their website or facebook page yet!

Now why isn't that a surprise :rolleyes:

In fact the UK website is still saying two days to go before the end of the current promotion, which apparently ends today :confused:

loving the fact that several travel agents have managed to advise that the 123 GO offer is back and Celebrity UK don't have this on their website or facebook page yet!

I was looking all morning too. Perhaps they update it Miami opening time???

But either way, I called and spoke to a very helpful person who did know about the offers and we've booked a cruise for next September (2015). Had we booked prior to today we'd have received $250 OBC. We've booked today and the price was around £10 less than last week but we got the free drinks package and $300 OBC. So didn't pay any extra for these perks. Yes the prices are high anyway and they have been for quite some time. But I fully expected the prices to have risen today to compensate for the perks so I'm really glad they didn't.

Well the prices have increased from yesterday.

When looking at Reflection for November, one price is listed but clicking on the desired cabin shows a higher price.

I am sure this will change during the day to update yesterday's special:

ScreenShot2014-06-02at73346AM.png

ScreenShot2014-06-02at73438AM.png

Edited by ~Cruisenut~

Yesterday a rep told me only TAs could release info about 123 ahead if time and she did not have info yet. Was told to call today....

I called around 7:05 am EST and had no issues getting through.. Added the classic drink package to our previously booked Early deployment booking .Probably lost money in the deal b/c our cruise went up $300 for two for 9 days...so that's what we paid for the package (inluding tips)

Anyhow, it's done and now dh can have his beer and whatever scotch they decide to include...and I can have my tea snd other included items..,Still a very good price for the AQ cruise.

Maybe others will do better but at least we are set...and can keep our OBC for the spa

Now why isn't that a surprise :rolleyes:

In fact the UK website is still saying two days to go before the end of the current promotion, which apparently ends today :confused:

It is now showing on the UK website - finally