Dollars to euros-last minute question

doubleduty

For converting US dollars in Europe...

A) you can use your debit card at an ATM; check the back of your debit card and one of the emblems/logos should appear on the ATM to guarantee usability

B) you can locate a change bureau and for both a flat rate and a percentage, they will exchange your money (I don't like these, as I feel that I lose $$$); these are located in airports, around the city, etc.

So, if you're stuck with US dollars in Europe and are unable to use a credit card or locate an ATM to withdraw money, option B is your choice

Make sure your card doesn't expire during your trip. DH has done that trick twice!

Get a coin purse. The smallest bill is an E5. Unlike the States, Europeans have no probelm waiting for you to look for exact change.

Also, coins cannot be exchanged back. Best to use them up as tips, etc.

Make sure your card doesn't expire during your trip. DH has done that trick twice!

Get a coin purse. The smallest bill is an E5. Unlike the States, Europeans have no probelm waiting for you to look for exact change.

Also, coins cannot be exchanged back. Best to use them up as tips, etc.

I collect all of my euro coins over multiple trips and then, on one trip, blow them all on metro tickets. It can result in standing at a ticket machine for a good 2 minutes feeding coins (and I once locked up a machine at Munich Ostbahnhof because I put too many in), but it's a great way to use sunken money.

Can I insert cash in the ATMS in Europe to get Euros or do I have to use a bank card? Doing a Europe/Mediterranean cruise for the very first time.

Exactly when was the last time you ever saw an ATM into which you could insert cash?

Scott & Karen

Exactly when was the last time you ever saw an ATM into which you could insert cash?

Scott & Karen

Yesterday. My girls deposit cash into their savings accounts on a regular basis. Was this a trick question?:D

Stay way from the exchange places. ATM is the way to go.

You might want to check with your bank before you go. I always get some Euros and or Pounds from my local bank here before I leave.

I just don't see the point in doing that. The banks here will rip you off just as much as the banks/exchange places there. I travel out of the country a dozen times each year or more, and never get money before I leave. I step off the plane, clear immigration/customs, and stop at the ATM right away. That's all I ever need to do.

Perhaps we can lend some info to the thread. We are currently traveling in Europe (in Paris at the moment) and routinely need to obtain Euros. By using an ATM to get our Euros we get a very favorable rate and are ATM bank does not charge any fees other then the usual 1% (built into the exchange rate) levied by VISA International for transactions (they process nearly all US bank transactions). Today we walked by a typical money exchange shop and noticed that their exchange rate plus fee would mean paying over 8% for every transaction. This is quite significant.

Hank

Yesterday. My girls deposit cash into their savings accounts on a regular basis. Was this a trick question?:D

Yes, but the question was inserting dollars and getting foreign currency in return. I've not found an ATM for that!

OP, debit/credit card only.

I just don't see the point in doing that. The banks here will rip you off just as much as the banks/exchange places there. I travel out of the country a dozen times each year or more, and never get money before I leave. I step off the plane, clear immigration/customs, and stop at the ATM right away. That's all I ever need to do.

Not my bank. Nor should yours. They simply use the current Dollar to Euro exchange rate. A service my bank provides. Unlike the exchange stores that stick it you on the exchange and keep the difference.

I don't get all my Euros at home but enough to get myself a cab from the airport and usually cover myself for the first couple of shore days.

If I ordered Euros today (only bank to offer the service is Wells Fargo. my bank will take my money, but will get Wells Fargo to do the exchange)....the rate would be (from their own website

Today's Rate 1 euro (EUR) = 1.4342 U.S. dollar (USD)

the current exchange rate is 1.3597

so Wells Fargo is charging an extra 5%. If I get it at the ATM, it is only 1 - 3% (depending on your bank).

Not my bank. Nor should yours. They simply use the current Dollar to Euro exchange rate. A service my bank provides. Unlike the exchange stores that stick it you on the exchange and keep the difference.

I don't get all my Euros at home but enough to get myself a cab from the airport and usually cover myself for the first couple of shore days.

If you are in the US, I'd be very curious to know what bank uses the current dollar to euro exchange rate. I have checked out many and they either charge a fee or they inflate the exchange. They are not changing your money for free (unless perhaps you have a special VIP status at a particular branch....)

I have the most amazing knack for finding non-functioning ATMs and Bancomats. After a series of bad experiences, I now carry a bit of local currency with me, so that I can at least get a taxi to take me to a functioning bancomat that accepts foreign cards. So I totally understand people who do this!

Yes, but the question was inserting dollars and getting foreign currency in return. I've not found an ATM for that!

OP, debit/credit card only.

My response was for the specific poster and not the OP. :)

I have the most amazing knack for finding non-functioning ATMs and Bancomats. After a series of bad experiences, I now carry a bit of local currency with me, so that I can at least get a taxi to take me to a functioning bancomat that accepts foreign cards. So I totally understand people who do this!

My first trip to Europe, got off the plane in Zurich, jetlagged. The only working ATM had a line of backpackers. Was I glad I had some local currency to pay for a shuttle to the hotel!

Edited by Dayenu