what happens when the cruise ship leaves a person behind in port?

AskMeHow

Last week we were on the Grand Princess in Skagway. After the fourth & final announcement requesting a passenger to call passenger services, the ship left port…and that person behind. So is that person responsible for getting to the next port (our case, Victoria BC--or even flying back to Seattle? I've been wondering about this.

I would expect that if the ship left from a US port and the person missed the ship at a different US port they would also have to pay a fine for violation of the Jones Act.

Ship security will go to the person's cabin, open their safe, and remove any immigration documentation (i.e. passport). This is delivered to the port agent on the pier.

The port agent will attempt to meet up with the passenger on the pier, but if they are delayed, it is up to the passenger to contact the port agent at the number on the first page of the Patter.

The port agent will assist in arranging the passenger's onward travel, and any costs associated with this are charged to the passenger's on board account.

There is also at least one immigration form that the ship's Administration officer must complete and hand over to the port agent to allow the person to officially enter the country (if applicable).

Last week we were on the Grand Princess in Skagway. After the fourth & final announcement requesting a passenger to call passenger services, the ship left port…and that person behind. So is that person responsible for getting to the next port (our case, Victoria BC--or even flying back to Seattle? I've been wondering about this.
Yes. They are responsible, not Princess. And, they will need their passports to fly to Vancouver. This happens pretty often. Some people, particularly new cruisers, don't realize that the ship will leave without them.

What happens if you miss the "all aboard" due to unforseen circumstances, not your fault, and you left your kids on the ship in the Youth center. Will they still leave you at the port? My mom was told by someone on a Disney cruise that they can't leave the port if there is no adult on board for them. Has anyone ever heard of that situation happening?

What happens if you miss the "all aboard" due to unforseen circumstances, not your fault, and you left your kids on the ship in the Youth center. Will they still leave you at the port? My mom was told by someone on a Disney cruise that they can't leave the port if there is no adult on board for them. Has anyone ever heard of that situation happening?

Not sure when minors in your care are left on board?

I do recall on a previous cruise that a couple had their passports stolen by pick-pockets while on shore excursion and were not permitted to re-board the ship (St. Petersburg) by authorities. The ship left without them on time. I recall an update when we where leaving the following port (Tallinn) that they where still detained in St Petersburg....

Edited by Lanwood

it would be your fault as you are supposed to be onboard on time, if they dont leave because of the kids they could fine you for the port charges and they wouldnt be cheap

Not sure when minors in your care are left on board?

I do recall on a previous cruise that a couple had their passports stolen by pick-pockets while on shore excursion and were not permitted to re-board the ship (St. Petersburg) by authorities. The ship left without them on time. I recall an update when we where leaving the following port (Tallinn) that they where still detained in St Petersburg....

St. Petersburg is a unique case. Its not the ship that wouldn't let them reboard without their passports but more than likely Russian authorities who go out of their way to be difficult. Imagine having to stay behind in Russia! And then having to deal with a stolen/lost passport (which is a very big deal now in the U.S.) through the U.S. embassy. Its for that reason, contrary to another poster, that unless a country REQUIRES us to present the original passport to their immigration, it stays locked in the cabin safe and we carry paper copies with us along with the port agent phone number.

St. Petersburg is a unique case. Its not the ship that wouldn't let them reboard without their passports but more than likely Russian authorities who go out of their way to be difficult. Imagine having to stay behind in Russia! And then having to deal with a stolen/lost passport (which is a very big deal now in the U.S.) through the U.S. embassy. Its for that reason, contrary to another poster, that unless a country REQUIRES us to present the original passport to their immigration, it stays locked in the cabin safe and we carry paper copies with us along with the port agent phone number.

On the recent 26-day Royal trip, a gentleman fell in St. Petersburg and had to have surgery in Russia. I believe his daughter stayed with him and the rest of the family continued the journey. Thank goodness the family had travel insurance. I hear the man is doing better now.

What happens if you miss the "all aboard" due to unforseen circumstances, not your fault, and you left your kids on the ship in the Youth center.

Are you actually allowed to leave your children and get off the ship without them?

What does the ship do if while they are off the ship and the child left in the Youth Center needs medical attention? When the child checks in is not the parents supposed to be available to be contacted if something happens. How can that happen if they are off the ship?

Edited by Potstech

What does the ship do if while they are off the ship and the child left in the Youth Center needs medical attention? When the child checks in is not the parents supposed to be available to be contacted if something happens. How can that happen if they are off the ship?

It used to be the rule that an adult must be on board if the kids are in the Youth Centers. I don't know if it's still the rule because it's been a while since I had to worry about it!

I use to leave my kids on board at camp ....thats what it was for while I went shopping .I would return to pick them up to go to a beach ..my kids loved it ...they did not need to get overtired being draggedaround shops .True we would usually have all pm to enjoy the beach

The kids situation is a rare one but it has happened. It's situational based on the age of the kids and the port.

For example, if the kid is 16 years old in Alaska, they may be left with the port agent.

If the kid is 8 year old in Grand Cayman, local law enforcement will be requested to take custody of the child in the event the ship positively cannot stay any longer. They will delay the sailing as long as they can, especially if they know why the pax is delayed returning.

As far as I know, and this may have been updated with the new scanners, the gangway crew had no way of knowing if a kid was in the club when a parent leaves the ship. Plus you have scenarios where are grandparent is staying on board, etc...

I just returned from a 26-day cruise on the Royal. I cruised with my four-year old daughter. The first day I inquired about the port situation (several 12 or 13-hour day Princess excursions this trip). They were more than happy to take care of her and feed her IF AND ONLY IF I was on a Princess excursion. (on port days, the center is open from 8am-5pm for everyone- however, it will open as early as you need and stay open as late as you need ONLY if you are on a Princess excursion). I took her on the 13-hour Paris excursion and, although she loved Paris, she looked at me and said, "Please don't take me on any more long day trips!!!" As such, I cancelled her remaining excursions and informed the kid's club of my plans. They photocopy your Princess excursion ticket and are waiting for you when leave for your excursion. I did sign a form authorizing them to feed her and take whatever necessary action in case of a medical issue with her. The longest excursion I did after that was a 8 1/2 hour one in Germany. I didn't give it a second thought and Princess really took good care of my daughter. The tour guides keep in touch with the ship and would have been informed of any situation with her. I would have ended the excursion and gone straight back to the ship if it had been an emergency. The kid's club assured me that ship would NOT leave without me if I was on a Princess excursion. Everything worked out beautifully - Mom was happy and daughter was happy. :)

Just to clarify you can leave your children on the ship whilst you go a shore but you have to check them in to Kids Club. If you are away all day the youth workers will take them to lunch with the parents permission.

As far as knowing if the children have been left on board security would know whether the missing passengers were travelling with children and if those children had swiped off the ship. A phone call to the Kids Club would then confirm if they had signed in.

As far as medical treatment goes when you register for the Kids Club you sign giving your permission for any medical treatment in your absence.