Capsule wardrobe - Christmas Markets River Cruise

Hoyaheel

I know you are not surprised with that reply..........after all these

years, the more things change, the more they stay the same:eek:

But heaven forbid you say something snarky in response or your post goes poof. Kill her with kindness but don't expect change.....

Looking up cuddl duds to see if I can find pics that are similar to mine and dang, I really want this wrap shirt that's on sale at Kohls now!

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1793491/cuddl-duds-second-layer-softwear-with-stretch-drapeneck-wrap-top-womens.jsp

OK, I have this vneck in the blue plaid (and also the camo, but I won't travel with that one either) http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-723204/cuddl-duds-activelayer-long-underwear-top-womens.jsp

And this is the Uniqlo heattech shirt- I can't remember what colors I have, navy & eggplant maybe? My husband has a couple crew necks and a striped turtleneck he loves - I need to get him another but it's not online this time of year - hopefully before we leave ;-) http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/innerwear-and-loungewear/inner-tops/heattech-long-sleeves/women-heattech-crew-neck-t-shirt-long-sleeve-077993.html?gclid=CjkKEQjw5LWcBRCeh8uUlqqluN4BEiQAfr64cHxAEFhzo7u3BViAZI5dD2zZd3D6qUYPTwzqqV4YoJXw_wcB#68

I really like that wrap shirt too!:D

I really like that wrap shirt too!:D

How cozy would that be, curled up with a glass of wine after a day touring Christmas market stalls???

Dang, I might have to order it. Better go look for some kohls free shipping offers:p

(we got an order from Sierra Trading Post last night - my husband got new goretex walking shoes, the men's version of the Haglofs Observe that I bought and he likes the fit and is going to keep them. I got 2 pairs of Mountain Hardwear pants - at least one will come with me on the river cruise - In my pdf capsule photo I posted is one of the pairs of pants, that are lined in fleece, a little more casual. But the other pair have a water repellent finish and nice stretch for wearing on a long flight, so.....Hubby also got 3 new pairs of SmartWool merino wool hiking socks - he wanted some a little thicker than what he has now, and fun colors/patterns.)

Hi everyone! Reporting in from London to let you know that black is not uninspired!!!!! About 80% wearing black, 10% in navy and another 10% in various shades of grays and other colors. I see very little khaki, almost no pastels and a very few crazies in neon. ;)

Black is paired with blue, maroon and more black. Pops of color mostly come with scarves, although bags are brighter colors and most surprising to me are the rainbow shades of hair color! Bright blue, fushia and lime green seem to be "in".

For shoes, mostly flats. We have seen some platform heels, but noticed when the wearer turns off the main street, the heels go into a tote and flat shoes go on. Despite the fact that it's June 5, there are still a very high percentage of ankle and mid-calf boots being worn. Most are flat but some wedges.

Interesting to watch fashion from sidewalk cafe with a glass of wine knowing I could report my observations to someone who cares! :D DH just looks uninterested when I point these things out. :rolleyes:

I did a Tauck Christmas market river cruise on the Danube last December through Austria & Germany. There was no need to bring anything dressy, *maybe* just one dressier top for the last night's captain's cocktail party & dinner.

Everyone complained about sore feet due to walking on cobblestones all day, so be sure to bring a change of thick-soled, comfy & waterproof walking shoes.

It was fairly cold and damp there last year, so a hat, scarf & gloves are a must. I wore my purple Land's End down jacket, so my upper torso was comfortable, but I should have brought silk underwear bottoms as the tops of my thighs were often frozen.

And I'm sure you already know, your mostly black wardrobe will help you blend in. My purple jacket had me pegged as American from a mile away!

I don't know which line you're traveling with, but we had a good deal of time on our own in each port (to shop, shop, shop!) and they were extremely flexible if anyone decided they'd rather do some things on their own.

I had a blast and would take another river cruise in a heartbeat. I hope you enjoy yours as well!

KK

80% of my wardrobe is black. It's chic, hides wrinkles and stains, can be dressed up or down with accessories easier than any other color, is timeless and season less, should I keep going. Go to any major city the world and see what women are wearing, I'll save you the trouble, it's black. :)

80% of my wardrobe is black. It's chic, hides wrinkles and stains, can be dressed up or down with accessories easier than any other color, is timeless and season less, should I keep going. Go to any major city the world and see what women are wearing, I'll save you the trouble, it's black. :)

Yeah, there's a reason I love to wear it. Several, actually, as you've highlighted:D

(not the best in the desert, I have to say. There's a reason "safari" jackets are khaki, but other than that...)

I got my most recent Sierra Trading Post order - new smartwool beanie hat, a couple icebreaker merino underlayer shirts, new undies (smartwool & ex officio - quick dry etc) And a dress for summer, 'cause, well, it's cute and on sale:D

KitKat - thanks for the info! (we're on Avalon - it's in my signature) My in-laws are river cruise veterans - they've been on 5 or 6 throughout Europe - but never the Christmas Markets. I've done Christmas Markets, but never Germany, and never a river cruise, so.....

I will bring a dress, because I love them - I wear them all year round, and not just for "dress up" - it's one step easy dressing (no pun intended....) for me.

KitKat - thanks for the info! (we're on Avalon - it's in my signature) My in-laws are river cruise veterans - they've been on 5 or 6 throughout Europe - but never the Christmas Markets. I've done Christmas Markets, but never Germany, and never a river cruise, so.....

I will bring a dress, because I love them - I wear them all year round, and not just for "dress up" - it's one step easy dressing (no pun intended....) for me.

Oh, I have signatures turned off - sorry. I've never cruised with Avalon before, but I have taken numerous, fabulous land tours with their parent company, Globus. I'm sure you've already looked into the optional excursions you'll likely be offered during your trip. So probably the best way for you to get more independent time in port would be to skip many of them. That'll save you money to boot!

And I wasn't implying that you shouldn't bring a dress, just that you probably won't need many fancy clothes - except maybe one nicer outfit for your final dinner (and even that's purely optional).

I'll be looking forward to hearing how you enjoy your first river cruise and what you think of Avalon, but I know it's still a ways off. Though it'll be here before you know it!

KK

Edited by KitKatK

I've never been on a river cruise before but it's on my "bucket" list. I'll be checking back here to hear about your trip, which I hope is awesome!:D I've already read a tip here that will be useful when we do take a river cruise. I always thought that river cruises where way fancier than regular cruises and so you needed to wear semi formal dress every night. Good to know that isn't true. I'd love to hear about what some of you have worn in the evenings for dinner to get a better idea of what to expect. Anyone want to share what they packed? Is there anything special that one should take with them on a river cruise?

Edited by mousey

One of the big reasons my in-laws started river cruises is because they didn't want to dress up at all! I'm certain my FIL doesn't even bring a sports coat for dinner - just wears khaki and a button down (maybe even a polo shirt in the summer, not sure - they NEVER take pictures - how they gave birth to a man with a camera fixation, I'm not sure:p)

What I've heard from most of the women on the RC board is "black pants, maybe a sparkly top" for the dinners. What I have in my (current;)) packing list is alternating between my black merino dress (knee length - can alternate wearing with tights, shoes, boots, scarves, cardigans) and my black Chicos travelers pants and different tops/scarves. It's unlikely I would go to dinner in my Mountain Hardwear pants, and it's unlikely I would go ashore in my Traveler pants, BUT both options are possible, so my wardrobe should end up being truly flexible.

I also doubt my own husband will bring a sports coat for the trip - he'll wear merino turtleneck sweaters or button down & sweater with khakis or his OG schoeller fabric pants that are a charcoal grey.

I don't understand why one would make a comment like this -- if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, why bother to post? :cool:

Besides, what's wrong with easy? When I'm traveling in Europe, I'm not there to put on a fashion show for anyone. If I'm appropriately dressed, comfortable, and don't stick out like a sore thumb, I'm happy. I've got better things to think about than whether I look....interesting.

Speak it, sister!!!!

For me, it's not just traveling in Europe, but it's my mode of dress anywhere. In the Caribbean, I probably stick out like a sore thumb because I DON'T feel the need to have multiple sundresses (ugh), multiple bathing suits, etc. A nice set of basics will do just fine. And, I can shop for those basics at quality stores because they will be in style and last forever. And, I love to look at all the scarves I have at home because they also remind me of the amazing trips I've taken over the years :)

Speak it, sister!!!!

For me, it's not just traveling in Europe, but it's my mode of dress anywhere. In the Caribbean, I probably stick out like a sore thumb because I DON'T feel the need to have multiple sundresses (ugh), multiple bathing suits, etc. A nice set of basics will do just fine. And, I can shop for those basics at quality stores because they will be in style and last forever. And, I love to look at all the scarves I have at home because they also remind me of the amazing trips I've taken over the years :)

One caveat--if you are going to French Polynesia, you will want two bathing suits, as you will wake up six days out of seven and put a bathing suit on with something over it (I chose board shorts and a rash guard jacket so I could keep the sun off and they dried faster than the suit did) and you will not take it off and wash it out until late afternoon/early evening when it's time for dinner. If you only took one suit, you'd be putting on a still damp suit every morning.

I suppose for some it would be the same in the Caribbean, although we typically only swam a couple days a week there.

In Europe I think I've worn a bathing suit once ever. My next trip to Europe is next February, no bathing suit will be packed. Not even for "just in case." ;)

I also collect scarves in my travels, although since my husband gave me the black pearls for our 20th, the scarves have taken a back-burner as my neckwear of choice. I go by the Coco Chanel school of style, "Once you've dressed, and before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off" and would never wear both a scarf and a necklace. :)

I also prefer to shop for high quality, timeless clothing. I fill in my wardrobe with clothes from places like NYC & CO. and Kohl's for things like leggings and some of my work clothes (some days I am in a pretty dirty heavy manufacturing environment and prefer to wear things that I won't cry if they are ruined for those meetings). I am just starting to purge some 10-15 year old Eileen Fisher and Ralph Lauren from my closet. Some because I've lost weight and they are too big (and can't be altered :( ) and others because they are beginning to look threadbare or have lost their shape.

Edited by ducklite

Mousey - I've definitely traveled carry-on only, but this trip (the upcoming December river cruise) will probably not be - at the minimum, my husband and I will share a checked bag. That's because we have intra-Europe flights so we will be bringing the small carry-on bags to meet the size requirements. I probably *could* pack just a 20" rolling bag and a backpack, but since I don't have to do it, I probably won't. Light, but more than the minimum.

Just found out I will (most likely) be going to Shanghai in September for some meetings. If so, I'm trying to convince my husband to come with me, and we'll take some vacation days as neither of us have been there before. And voila, a new packing challenge:D

(I always have 1 "just in case" bathing suit. My last big vacation was last summer to celebrate my 40th and we chartered a sailboat for a week - so all I wore were bathing suits & coverups. I think I brought 3 bikinis and 2 one piece suits. That is VERY extreme for me because -though I love sailing - I don't actually like water very much:eek:

Wow! Shanghai...how exciting is that!?:D

I too, no matter where I travel, always pack a swimsuit...because you just never know! :D This stems from the fact that I once went on an overnight trip to a hotel for a New Year's Eve party and didn't think I needed to pack a swimsuit. Don't ya know the next day we all decided to stay another night and as the hotel was on the beach in FL, everyone wanted to spend the day on the beach. So, I had to go to the gift shop and buy a swimsuit. There wasn't a big choice and I ended up overpaying for a swimsuit I never wore again because it was "butt ugly"! LOL! So, now I always travel with one because...ya just never know.! They take up such little room anyway.:D

One caveat--if you are going to French Polynesia, you will want two bathing suits, as you will wake up six days out of seven and put a bathing suit on with something over it (I chose board shorts and a rash guard jacket so I could keep the sun off and they dried faster than the suit did) and you will not take it off and wash it out until late afternoon/early evening when it's time for dinner. If you only took one suit, you'd be putting on a still damp suit every morning.

I suppose for some it would be the same in the Caribbean, although we typically only swam a couple days a week there.

In Europe I think I've worn a bathing suit once ever. My next trip to Europe is next February, no bathing suit will be packed. Not even for "just in case." ;)

I also collect scarves in my travels, although since my husband gave me the black pearls for our 20th, the scarves have taken a back-burner as my neckwear of choice. I go by the Coco Chanel school of style, "Once you've dressed, and before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off" and would never wear both a scarf and a necklace. :)

I also prefer to shop for high quality, timeless clothing. I fill in my wardrobe with clothes from places like NYC & CO. and Kohl's for things like leggings and some of my work clothes (some days I am in a pretty dirty heavy manufacturing environment and prefer to wear things that I won't cry if they are ruined for those meetings). I am just starting to purge some 10-15 year old Eileen Fisher and Ralph Lauren from my closet. Some because I've lost weight and they are too big (and can't be altered :( ) and others because they are beginning to look threadbare or have lost their shape.

If I'm doing tropical, yes, I have my rash guard and board shorts to go with my bathing suit. I've done it that way for years and it's worked for me.

I've got the 15mm Tahitian pearl, too. It was my 30th anniversary gift. Wore it all the time! Short time later, the now-ex walked out on me. The pearl sits it it's case… Scarves come with less baggage and better memories ;)

If I'm doing tropical, yes, I have my rash guard and board shorts to go with my bathing suit. I've done it that way for years and it's worked for me.

I've got the 15mm Tahitian pearl, too. It was my 30th anniversary gift. Wore it all the time! Short time later, the now-ex walked out on me. The pearl sits it it's case… Scarves come with less baggage and better memories ;)

As I remind him (jokingly) on a regular basis, if he leaves, I will live the way I am accustomed to, and he will live in a van down by the river. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
With internal Europe flights, I can't travel with my 22" carry-on and a backpack (I could do my packing in those bags)

Ok, I'll ask what is probably a dumb question: Are you limited to a 20" carry-on on Euro mainland flights?

Ok, I'll ask what is probably a dumb question: Are you limited to a 20" carry-on on Euro mainland flights?

Need to check each airline's website. Not only total size but dimensions and weight. DD went on BelleAir and they had a 7k weight limit, made RyanAir's 10k seem generous. Also when they say one bag, they mean ONE BAG. Purse has to go into the bag. Jacket pockets are a wonderful thing.

Yes, in general, international airlines have smaller acceptable dimensions for overheads, and I've found in my limited experience (for Europe, Africa & Asia) that a 20" bag is much easier to plan on because it will be acceptable more often than not - but 22" is usually way too big.

Pay close attention to the weight allowed for a carryon. There doesn't seem to be any standardization. So the weight allowed can dictate the size allowed. For example Lufthansa allows a 22 inch carry on BUT limits it's weight to a tad less than 18 pounds. Factoring in the weight of a 22 inch, there isn't much weight left for clothing. So a smaller carry on that weighs less to begin with makes sense. You will see GAs checking size and weight at the gate. Unfortunately, my carry on only policy has had to be put on hold for our next trip. I've been traveling that way for so long and feel secure knowing my bag is with me that I know I will stress out over the one bag that I will have to check.

• 4 weeks later...
Have fun Janet!!

This is the capsule wardrobe as I'm thinking right now. No photo of the leopard cuddl duds - I'll have to take one of my own shirt or keep looking online:p I want a couple other layers but might wait to decide depending on weather forecasts. Not confirmed the cardigans I'll take either. I'm sure over the next 6 months I will make some changes:D

Love it, looks greAt!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. Loved your picture PDF of your travel wardrobe, what a great idea! I am sailing to Northern France and Belgium in November from Southampton and was looking for ideas, mostly for evenings aboard but can never have enough layers!! I've not seen cuddl duds on sale in the UK. Could you recommend a good online retailer for them?