Capsule wardrobe - Christmas Markets River Cruise

Hoyaheel

We're going on a river cruise - my first- in December. Nuremberg to Basel, 10 days (but we'll be gone 13). As usual, my goal is to pack light. With internal Europe flights, I can't travel with my 22" carry-on and a backpack (I could do my packing in those bags) I think I'll bring my 20" rolling carry-on and a backpack as my carry-ons and either a 22" checked bag or perhaps sharing a 25" checked bag with my husband. I have a large lesportsac nylon duffel I'll bring for souvenirs (actually, for dirty laundry - souvenirs will go in the more structured bags)

I have my powerpoint started with capsule wardrobe ideas. My color will be black. Not even thinking about secondary colors - a couple of scarves. But mostly black:p 3 pr black pants (all different varieties) and a black merino dress. a couple of cashmere sweaters, 4-6 shirts - uniqlo heattech crew shirts and cuddl duds long sleeve shirts. Silk long underwear and merino long underwear as needed under the black pants. Black knee high leather boots (I've walked all over Paris & New York in them in the winter!) and goretex walking shoes, and privo mary janes for on the boat and if there's abnormally warm weather. Coat, hat, scarves, gloves.

Toiletries, kindle, travel purse....

Can I do it? Suggestions?:p

I also did a powerpoint for my husband. He got 3 prs pants (all water resistant), 3 sweaters, and 5 shirts....

Also look for the 'Stuff, stuff stuff' thread. It has many great links.

Lady light travel . com and The Vivienne Files have more ideas and color combos. Don't need to stick with black.

Hi Kelly! I'm sure you can do it! Especially since you don't have to bring your own wine on a river cruise!:D;)

I can't wait to hear about it. We're debating a river cruise next too.

Say hi to Dane!

Yes, I follow Vivienne Files and several other blogs on packing light like Travel Fashion Girl. Some good ideas (though TFG's outfits aren't quite my style - too young - I can get good ideas from them. None of the cruising threads here have dealt with a winter itinerary so they're not quite as helpful for me.

Janice (VF) just had a post on how she went to Florida with a small backpack for 5 days. But again - summer, florida, so the issues are not the ones I'll be facing. I have good ideas - it's translating what I see online to what I have in my own wardrobe that is taking time. But hey - I have a few months to change my minds;-) I won't be all black, but it will be mostly black because that's what I like, it looks good on me, and I have a lot of it in my wardrobe. Some of the layering shirts are other colors, and my scarves will be bright. But I'm trying to keep it simple to avoid the overpacking temptation...

Hi Jan! How was your Baltic cruise - was that last year? I really want to go back to Alaska but we opted to do the river cruise this year so we could invite our parents while they're still quite mobile (my in-laws and my mom & her husband are all on the river cruise with us:p) I'm still not sure how I'll feel about the river cruise - in Europe, I really prefer to be on my own - but I'll try anything once. Hope you and the family are doing well!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Yes, I follow Vivienne Files and several other blogs on packing light like Travel Fashion Girl. Some good ideas (though TFG's outfits aren't quite my style - too young - I can get good ideas from them. None of the cruising threads here have dealt with a winter itinerary so they're not quite as helpful for me.

Janice (VF) just had a post on how she went to Florida with a small backpack for 5 days. But again - summer, florida, so the issues are not the ones I'll be facing. I have good ideas - it's translating what I see online to what I have in my own wardrobe that is taking time. But hey - I have a few months to change my minds;-) I won't be all black, but it will be mostly black because that's what I like, it looks good on me, and I have a lot of it in my wardrobe. Some of the layering shirts are other colors, and my scarves will be bright. But I'm trying to keep it simple to avoid the overpacking temptation...

Hi Jan! How was your Baltic cruise - was that last year? I really want to go back to Alaska but we opted to do the river cruise this year so we could invite our parents while they're still quite mobile (my in-laws and my mom & her husband are all on the river cruise with us:p) I'm still not sure how I'll feel about the river cruise - in Europe, I really prefer to be on my own - but I'll try anything once. Hope you and the family are doing well!

We leave on Tuesday morning for the Fjords and Arctic Circle! I can't believe it! We're packed now and believe me, with the layers it's a lot harder to pack small. We've cut down, but still at about 40# in the big bag and 20# in the carry on. That does include binoculars, make up mirror, toiletries, etc.... just hard to go for 3 weeks in a carry on even though I used to be able to do it without a thought. :o

I've made trips to Europe in winter (Rome several times, Paris between Christmas & New Years). I try to pack light, I've sort of informally used the capsule wardrobe idea for years -- ever since my parents took me to Europe for a month with a 24" suitcase and my mom showed me how to mix and match....!

Paris was my most recent winter trip, so I'll use that to illustrate. My colors were black and gray with touches of color:

Black is a great base color and it's what most Europeans will be wearing. I'm not a skirt or dress person, so I took 3 pairs of black pants in varying weights and levels of dressiness, plus one pair of a dark gray ponte knit pants that also worked beautifully. One of the black pants was the same ponte knit. These two pairs got the majority of wear for daytime. The other two black pants were a lighter wool gabardine that was more dressy and a pair of dressy black skinny jeans (which didn't see that much wear, honestly). The ponte pants are everywhere now.

I try to take a variety of tops for layering. I prefer merino to cashmere for travel, it seems to wrinkle less and wear better. I have a black merino cardigan that's my "go-to" miracle. It works for dressy or daytime. Under it I can wear a variety of options.

I generally take two solid color long-sleeve silk and cotton knit tees in jewel-tone colors like teal or red (although I've now replaced one of them with the Eileen Fisher silk long-sleeved tee which I love but it's hard to find in the colors I like). Plus two pima cotton tees with a subtle pattern that are nice but a little less dressy and very comfortable for all-day sightseeing. And one black silk knit tee.

I also tuck in a dressy silk camisole (or two, depending on itinerary) that can be worn under the sweater for dinner or evening out. These weigh next to nothing.

In addition, I take one pullover v-neck sweater in a black and grey pattern. It's a little heavier and good for day-time wear outside. Although I found in Paris that it's much better to dress in easily removable layers as MANY indoors places are (by my standards) overheated in winter. I was melting in the Louvre, even after taking off my outer coat and my sweater. (Museums seem particularly bad about this.)

My silk long underwear (top & bottom) always goes with me in winter. And a good coat is a must. Mine is black and water resistant, with a zip-out liner and hood. I've had similar versions of this same coat since about 2005! For gloves, I like something like these, which keep my hands warm outside:

http://www.totes-isotoner.com/product/102852.do?utm_source=SSIDE&utm_medium=NaturalSS&utm_campaign=SSIDE

Wool gets wet (and stays wet), and a lot of leather doesn't hold up well to winter touring, IMO.

Shoes are tricky. I took a pair of lightweight roll-up rain/snow boots to Paris but never needed them. I'm sure if I'd left them at home, I would have. :cool: I also took some tried-and-true walking shoes, a black loafer-type but with a very thick, sturdy sole. I think this one is the updated model:

http://www.6pm.com/geox-donna-winter-euro-2-2-black?zlfid=192&ref=pd_sims_v_1

And a somewhat dressier pair of Munro that were good for a change of shoe in the evening. I love these shoes; they are so very comfortable on my feet and they are a tad dressier in person than they look here:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/munro-traveler-slip-on/3234591?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=60147748&fashionColor=Navy+Stretch&resultback=226&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_A

Although, were I going now, I might take these Ecco shoes instead that look similar but have a goretex lining:

http://www.amazon.com/ECCO-Womens-Slip-On-Black-7-7-5/dp/B0036DENAQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1401632709&sr=1-1&keywords=ecco

I just got a pair on a good sale, but I haven't road-tested them yet to know if they are a comfy as my beloved Munros. (I'm on my second pair of those...)

I probably would stash in a couple of scarves, but I also look forward to buying them when I travel, so I don't take too many with me.

Edited by cruisemom42

I should clarify that I've done Europe trips in the winter the past few years - Amsterdam & Paris (and also NYC) so I am accustomed to trying to pack light in winter. I'm just trying to "take it up a notch" this time:p I have a closet of techincal fabric, cashmere & merino, goretex etc. I have the ingredients. I just need to figure out exactly what I need to bring vs what I want to bring;)

I've also not done a river cruise.....And I think I realize I'll be appropriately or over dressed, based on my regular wardrobe. So I'm not worried about "dress code."

Black...how inspired! Yeah...it's easy, but not very interesting!

I don't understand why one would make a comment like this -- if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, why bother to post? :cool:

Besides, what's wrong with easy? When I'm traveling in Europe, I'm not there to put on a fashion show for anyone. If I'm appropriately dressed, comfortable, and don't stick out like a sore thumb, I'm happy. I've got better things to think about than whether I look....interesting.

How inspiring does one have to be when touring with people one will probably never see again? I say black in Europe in the winter is fine.

I'm all about black as the base from which I work when traveling......

and often at home as well.

Can't beat a great quality basic black pant.

A wonderful well designed basic black sweater.

Works fine for me. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I don't understand why one would make a comment like this -- if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, why bother to post? :cool:

Besides, what's wrong with easy? When I'm traveling in Europe, I'm not there to put on a fashion show for anyone. If I'm appropriately dressed, comfortable, and don't stick out like a sore thumb, I'm happy. I've got better things to think about than whether I look....interesting.

Some people are "hit and run" posters, that don't ever really enter a conversation, just want to get their two cents in! :rolleyes:

My packing is done and we leave in the AM for our Midnight Sun/Arctic Circle cruise. My bag is full of black! Various shades of blue for color and layering, but I'm inspired by my range of choices based on black foundations!

Haha! Love the leopard cuddlduds. Mine are "uninspired" black. :D

Edited by 5326jan

Have fun Janet!!

This is the capsule wardrobe as I'm thinking right now. No photo of the leopard cuddl duds - I'll have to take one of my own shirt or keep looking online:p I want a couple other layers but might wait to decide depending on weather forecasts. Not confirmed the cardigans I'll take either. I'm sure over the next 6 months I will make some changes:D

River Cruise capsule.pdf

Have fun Janet!!

This is the capsule wardrobe as I'm thinking right now. No photo of the leopard cuddl duds - I'll have to take one of my own shirt or keep looking online:p I want a couple other layers but might wait to decide depending on weather forecasts. Not confirmed the cardigans I'll take either. I'm sure over the next 6 months I will make some changes:D

Looks good to me! :D

Very do-able, mostly a matter of 1) planning and 2) being willing to wear items over again. I've done winter Europe trips for business with 2 small carry ons (a brief case and a 19"x12" soft side that's 8" wide at base and 2" at top). Don't even have to gate check for most puddle jumpers. So it *is* possible.

If you have 2 scarves, 3 tops and 3 lower halves, that's a total of 2*3*3 or 18 unique outfits right there, not even counting all the different ways you can tie scarves or the different sweaters you could mix in.

If you are short on space or close to weight limits, you can get pretty creative about what you wear on the plane (think Michelin man). For inspiration (or a good chuckle) see the video from onebag.com

a couple of scarves. yes! and you can wear one on the plane, so only have to pack 1

But mostly black:p 3 pr black pants (all different varieties) wear the heaviest set on the plane, only have to pack 2

and a black merino dress. if you are mostly dining on board, you may not need a winter weight dress - could save a few ounces by bringing a lighter weight dress if you like;)

a couple of cashmere sweaters, suggest one be a cardigan or other multi-look style (wrap around, etc). A cardigan you could wear buttons in the back to change up - most body styles can wear cardigans backwards (my cardigans are the same dimensions front or back), and you can wear buttoned up the front as a 'regular' sweater (I tend to leave the top button undone)

4-6 shirts - uniqlo heattech crew shirts and cuddl duds long sleeve shirts. you can get by with 3 no problem, especially if they are amenable to hand and/or spot washing; I wear an underlayer to keep the shirt fresher

Silk long underwear and merino long underwear as needed under the black pants. yes. If space/weight is getting tight, one set may be enough, especially if you wear with a thin undershirt and tights beneath; silk is especially easy for travel as it dries quickly. One set gets worn on plane (don't have to pack). For winter, I generally wear a cotton turtleneck on the plane (yes, with the long underwear as well) and pack 2 next-to-skin layers - a thin undershirt and a second turtleneck or undershirt

Black knee high leather boots (I've walked all over Paris & New York in them in the winter!) wear on the plane :)

and goretex walking shoes, if you can't quite fit everything in, these could be 'on the bubble' to leave home. Depends on weight-since your boots are walkable, you could just wear your boots every day if you 'had' to. Definitely bring the walking shoes if you have the space & weight available

and privo mary janes for on the boat and if there's abnormally warm weather. makes sense to me :)

Coat, hat, scarves, gloves. you will wear all these on the plane, so don't have to pack. Instead of a single coat, I tend to go with a combo of rain shell or lighter waterproof outermost layer, plus a warm vest (down or performance) or built-in, separable warm liner layer of the outer rain coat

Toiletries, kindle, travel purse.... if you use a money belt or other security style pouch, you may not need a travel purse in winter - tissues, maps etc. can live in your coat pockets. Toiletries you can use what the cruise offers and minimize what you bring of your own. Of course I find European drug stores fascinating so an excuse to pop in and buy something is welcome for me ;)

Can I do it? Suggestions?:p Yes you can definitely do this

Additional thoughts...

Socks and underpants, I wear a set and bring 3 additional pair of each. I avoid 100% cotton for winter travel, I find that most blends & microfiber etc. dry easily overnight in the bath or from a spare hanger. For winter I wear tights on the plane & bring 1 or 2 spare pairs. Bra, I wear one and bring one spare, rinsing out as needed.

Belt, if you use, can usually plan so need just one. May want to pack (or stash) for going through security assuming a metal buckle.

May want to sub a stole or shawl for one of your scarves, again you will wear this on the plane so no need to pack.

Edited by babysteps

My coat doesn't have great pockets - I am definitely bringing a purse. But it goes easily inside my backpack carry-on so I'm not worried about it. And my merino dress doesn't weigh much more than a lighter one (and merino is certainly more versatile than cotton - antimicrobial, quick dry etc). My scarves (the ones I've ID'd right now - are warm - wool & cashmere - and bright - for warmth, not so much style.

Thanks for the specific ideas, babysteps. Some will work for me and some not, but I appreciate your insight!

Every time I pack light, there are things I don't wear (and I think "crap") and there are items I wish I had packed instead (and I think "crap":rolleyes::p)

Each trip is a chance to refine the decisions I made on the last trip. It's unlikely I will pack carry-on only. But never say never. I'm definitely bringing much of my clothing on board in case of airline difficulties, but I will probably either check a small bag or share a checked bag with my husband (I can't remember if I said that here or in my Roll Call:o)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I love this thread as I am trying each trip to pack lighter and the ideas are so helpful. I always thought cuddl duds were pajamas or to wear as an underlayer to keep warm. Are you wearing these as your top?

Yes, I have various types of cuddl duds and Uniqlo heattech long sleeve crew necks that look like any regular crew neck t-shirt and I wear them under sweaters. (I have some cuddl duds that are fleece too, probably won't bring them on this trip) I don't tend to wear cotton tops when I travel - I want something that will dry more quickly. None of my shirts have lace or anything that looks lingerie-ish. So my plan is that they're tops that are also layers for cold weather......

(if the weather forecast looks warm, I'll readjust what my layers will be. But we're talking December, in Germany, along rivers. How warm will it *really* be?:p)

Looking up cuddl duds to see if I can find pics that are similar to mine and dang, I really want this wrap shirt that's on sale at Kohls now!

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1793491/cuddl-duds-second-layer-softwear-with-stretch-drapeneck-wrap-top-womens.jsp

OK, I have this vneck in the blue plaid (and also the camo, but I won't travel with that one either) http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-723204/cuddl-duds-activelayer-long-underwear-top-womens.jsp

And this is the Uniqlo heattech shirt- I can't remember what colors I have, navy & eggplant maybe? My husband has a couple crew necks and a striped turtleneck he loves - I need to get him another but it's not online this time of year - hopefully before we leave ;-) http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/innerwear-and-loungewear/inner-tops/heattech-long-sleeves/women-heattech-crew-neck-t-shirt-long-sleeve-077993.html?gclid=CjkKEQjw5LWcBRCeh8uUlqqluN4BEiQAfr64cHxAEFhzo7u3BViAZI5dD2zZd3D6qUYPTwzqqV4YoJXw_wcB#68

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thank you for your *inspired* input to my question. You are as helpful as you always are.

I know you are not surprised with that reply..........after all these

years, the more things change, the more they stay the same:eek: