Emeralds, Sanctuary, HAVE TO pay to be there?

Bimmie Girl

I am new to Princess. We have booked the Emerald for Feb. 2015. I have read that the cost of an all day pass at the Santuary is $40 pp. you get a chair for that cost and served drinks or special waters, can order a healthy lunch for $3...........but can anyone go to the sanctuary to have a drink or lunch without having to pay for a chair? Do they serve a healthy (spa lunch) around the Lotus spa pool? I think I read that you can also rent a chair around the lotus pool..........is that recommended or can you find a chair around there? Since we have never been on a Princess ship, we would not know what day we would want to book a chair and to know if it would be worth it.

We have enjoyed Serenity areas and like to relax for an hour or 2 in those areas, but would not want to spend the day there. Is the Lotus Spa Pool and adult only pool that serves spa lunches? What is the service, if any, at the Lotus Spa Pool? I guess I am trying to figure out the difference and advantages to each of these areas, that are so close to each other on the Emerald??? Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks.

Welcome to your first Princess cruise!

There are no free "spa-type" lunches on Princess. The only place you have access to any lunches that could be remotely considered "spa-type" is in the Sanctuary, and there is a $3pp charge for those. The Lotus pool, except on the Island and the Coral, is a free-use pool. Sanctuary membership is not required. But there are no lunches at all served there.

I know what you're thinking of...the AquaSpa Café and the Solarium Café on X and RC. Princess has nothing comparable to those.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

To answer your initial question: no, you cannot enter the Sanctuary area unless you've paid. There'a a staffer at the entrance checking that.

I notice you've sailed mostly with Carnival, and while I've never been on one of their ships, you might find most Princess sailings (assuming you're not doing a short sailing over President's Day) to be significantly lighter on kids and hullabaloo. You don't get the service elsewhere you would in the Sanctuary, but there is an adult pool area, fewer pool games and the like, and any number of quieter nooks and crannies. (Though Movies Under the Stars does make the main pool area noisy.)

I am new to Princess.

We have enjoyed Serenity areas and like to relax for an hour or 2 in those areas, but would not want to spend the day there. Is the Lotus Spa Pool and adult only pool that serves spa lunches? What is the service, if any, at the Lotus Spa Pool? I guess I am trying to figure out the difference and advantages to each of these areas, that are so close to each other on the Emerald??? Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks.

Here is some information about the Emerald Princess that may interest you. As you know the Lotus Pool is adults only and there is a no charge steam and sauna next to it. There are not many lounge chairs around this pool, but there are loungers on the deck above outside of the Sanctuary. The Terrace Pool aft is also adults only with seating around the pool, and on the Horizon Terrace above it. There is also the Chill Out pool and hot tub on Deck 17 aft just below Skywalker's. While this is designated a family pool, when we were on board there were very few passengers there.

As stated, no spa dining area, but in addition to the sinful desserts the International Cafe has really nice salads. You can also make your own salads with plates of fruit in the Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe buffet areas, and on sea days the DR has 'healthy' selections.

Great to know all these things before we set sail. Been told, once we go Princess, there is no going back, LOL Thanks for the healthy, eating, option locations. We are planning on doing the Chef's Table and The Grill for dinners, so want to eat lighter on those days.

Plan on reading alot about this cruise line and this ship before we set sail on her in Feb. This is our warm up cruise before we sail one of the Princess cruises to Alaska.

Bear in mind, the 'healthy' spa lunch is just a few items. Tasty ones, yes, but there are lots of the same items in different forms in the buffet and MDR (after all there is not much difference between a fruit skewer and fresh fruit). The $3 is just a service fee to get your order so the stewards are not run ragged, for that fee they will get you any food you want (burgers, milkshakes, etc) not just the spa menu - note that they have to stand in line like passengers to get them, so consider accordingly with gratuities.

Now, the one thing they DO have there that I cannot find anywhere else on the ship is their Fruit punch. That was pretty much liquid crack.

You can also "do" the Sanctuary for 1/2 days (unless they have changed it with the new pricing). You can also book it on the first day of your cruise for the entire cruise at a slightly discounted daily rate (again, not sure if this is still the case with the new pricing). However, they only allow a full-cruise reservations for a limited number of loungers. And these tend to book up quicker on warm weather itineraries.

On one of our cruises, we were literally the first people on board and went straight to the Sanctuary, only to find that all of the week-long loungers had been scooped up by a bunch of Brits on a back-to-back. And, hotel management was unyielding on not allowing any more week-long reservations, even though we literally had no chance of making such a reservation.

If you do not book for the entire cruise, also bear in mind that on sea days on warmer cruises, people will start lining up as early as 6 a.m. to reserve a lounger for the day. :eek: We had to do this on the aforementioned cruise, and they would often sell out within a matter of minutes to the first of us in line. Port days, usually not a problem.

Same thing with Chef's Table (which we have happily done twice :D!). Depending on the length of your sailing, they usually only schedule 1 or 2 Chef's Tables, and if memory serves me seating was limited to 12 people. So, you want to call the Dine line immediately upon boarding and add your name to the request list (no guarantee that you will get a spot).

We love the Sanctuary and the Chef's Table. A couple of the best things offered on board, IMO.

Edited by SingerEsq

You can also "do" the Sanctuary for 1/2 days (unless they have changed it with the new pricing). You can also book it on the first day of your cruise for the entire cruise at a slightly discounted daily rate (again, not sure if this is still the case with the new pricing). However, they only allow a full-cruise reservations for a limited number of loungers. And these tend to book up quicker on warm weather itineraries.

On one of our cruises, we were literally the first people on board and went straight to the Sanctuary, only to find that all of the week-long loungers had been scooped up by a bunch of Brits on a back-to-back. And, hotel management was unyielding on not allowing any more week-long reservations, even though we literally had no chance of making such a reservation.

If you do not book for the entire cruise, also bear in mind that on sea days on warmer cruises, people will start lining up as early as 6 a.m. to reserve a lounger for the day. :eek: We had to do this on the aforementioned cruise, and they would often sell out within a matter of minutes to the first of us in line. Port days, usually not a problem.

Yes, a half-day is $20 and yes, if you book the entire cruise, it's $30/day which is a nice discount. However, you cannot book a half-day in advance. In other words, if you go up there and want to book a half-day for a sea day a few days away, you won't be able to.

When I've booked by the day, I've had to be lined up no later than 6:30am... and usually earlier. Some ships are experimenting with being able to book the next day the afternoon before but I don't know which ships or whether this is still the case. With the new doubled rate increase, it's possible that the long lines are a thing of the past. Don't know.

Some ships are experimenting with being able to book the next day the afternoon before but I don't know which ships or whether this is still the case. With the new doubled rate increase, it's possible that the long lines are a thing of the past. Don't know.

Ha! Pam, we politely took our complaint to the Hotel Manager, who actually scheduled a meeting with us in his office. When one person in our party, who works in high-end, luxury retail, explained the lunacy of basically forcing guests to line up at 6 a.m. on their vacation, the Hotel Manager at first said she was making that up. :mad: We had already been doing it for a couple of days and saw the same people each morning.:cool: So, he backed down.

Then, our friend politely suggested a reservation period the afternoon before the following day, just prior to closing the Sanctuary for the day. He kind of stared in disbelief, as if no one at Princess had ever considered such a civilized remedy, and said, "You know, that's a really good idea." :rolleyes:

Ha! Pam, we politely took our complaint to the Hotel Manager, who actually scheduled a meeting with us in his office. When one person in our party, who works in high-end, luxury retail, explained the lunacy of basically forcing guests to line up at 6 a.m. on their vacation, the Hotel Manager at first said she was making that up. :mad: We had already been doing it for a couple of days and saw the same people each morning.:cool: So, he backed down.

Then, our friend politely suggested a reservation period the afternoon before the following day, just prior to closing the Sanctuary for the day. He kind of stared in disbelief, as if no one at Princess had ever considered such a civilized remedy, and said, "You know, that's a really good idea." :rolleyes:

Ha! I took pictures of the sun coming up (date and time-stamped) as I waited to book the Sanctuary on the Royal last October. They are very well aware of the long lines. I know the Royal experimented with different sign-up times but from what I read, they kept changing it. No matter when, there were long lines. So I don't know what's been decided or implemented. One thing that's bothered me frequently is one person getting on line first and then booking 6-8 loungers for their friends who weren't there. Two people booked all of the available loungers. I think there should be a limit to two loungers per-person. Edited by Pam in CA

Even though we got ours, I mentioned that on the coral. I suggested you can only book for those in your cabin...

Ha! I took pictures of the sun coming up (date and time-stamped) as I waited to book the Sanctuary on the Royal last October. They are very well aware of the long lines. I know the Royal experimented with different sign-up times but from what I read, they kept changing it. No matter when, there were long lines. So I don't know what's been decided or implemented. One thing that's bothered me frequently is one person getting on line first and then booking 6-8 loungers for their friends who weren't there. Two people booked all of the available loungers. I think there should be a limit to two loungers per-person.

Princess's booking policy is a farce and now with the price increase it's ridiculous. We enjoyed 10 days in Celebrity's Solarium free. Chairs as nice as the Sanctuary, never an issue getting a seat, food available, protected from the wind with a lovely pool. Did I mention Free? My days of lining up for the sanctuary are over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's in a "spa lunch" besides fruit?

The Sanctuary is not like Serenity in many ways, the cost being one of them. I've done my share of Carnival cruises, and IMO, the terrace pool (aft on a Princess ship) is pretty close to the Serenity experience. Kids are not allowed, and there are deck chairs available (but shade can be iffy.) A bar is nearby, so there might be some noise from that, but the buffet is pretty close. You can assemble a healthy lunch there easily. Princess doesn't have the same salad bar as Carnival with as many selections, but it's still pretty good. Lots of fruit. I think you might be happy at the aft pool, but Sanctuary people do swear by how great it is.

Edited by shredie

This one is from the Ruby. May not be the latest, but is close enough to get an idea:

http://www.beyondships.com/Princess-RU-Menu-SY.html

So what's in a "spa lunch" besides fruit?

The Sanctuary is not like Serenity in many ways, the cost being one of them. I've done my share of Carnival cruises, and IMO, the terrace pool (aft on a Princess ship) is pretty close to the Serenity experience. Kids are not allowed, and there are deck chairs available (but shade can be iffy.) A bar is nearby, so there might be some noise from that, but the buffet is pretty close. You can assemble a healthy lunch there easily. Princess doesn't have the same salad bar as Carnival with as many selections, but it's still pretty good. Lots of fruit. I think you might be happy at the aft pool, but Sanctuary people do swear by how great it is.

Ha! I took pictures of the sun coming up (date and time-stamped) as I waited to book the Sanctuary on the Royal last October. They are very well aware of the long lines. I know the Royal experimented with different sign-up times but from what I read, they kept changing it. No matter when, there were long lines. So I don't know what's been decided or implemented. One thing that's bothered me frequently is one person getting on line first and then booking 6-8 loungers for their friends who weren't there. Two people booked all of the available loungers. I think there should be a limit to two loungers per-person.

Wow! That's interesting. On the Ruby in Feb, was told I could not book for anyone who wasn't in my cabin. Again, different policies on different ships

Wow! That's interesting. On the Ruby in Feb, was told I could not book for anyone who wasn't in my cabin. Again, different policies on different ships

Would they have let you if the fees for everyone went to your cabin account?

Would they have let you if the fees for everyone went to your cabin account?
The way it was arranged on the Royal is that invoices were made up for the friends so when they showed up, they signed for the loungers. The one person booking didn't have to pay for everyone. I was honestly shocked when people were just handed invoices to sign. The invoices were obviously made up before the Sanctuary opened for the day 'cause I'd been waiting for an hour and a half and those people weren't waiting nor had they booked for the length of the cruise. They just walked up, asked for their invoice, signed and left without waiting. Really strange.

I hate to say it, but I suspect the arrangements were made prior (B2B?) and accompanied by some extra paperwork, if you get my drift.

The way it was arranged on the Royal is that invoices were made up for the friends so when they showed up, they signed for the loungers. The one person booking didn't have to pay for everyone. I was honestly shocked when people were just handed invoices to sign. The invoices were obviously made up before the Sanctuary opened for the day 'cause I'd been waiting for an hour and a half and those people weren't waiting nor had they booked for the length of the cruise. They just walked up, asked for their invoice, signed and left without waiting. Really strange.

I hate to say it, but I suspect the arrangements were made prior (B2B?) and accompanied by some extra paperwork, if you get my drift.
I have no doubt what kind of paperwork was involved. :) However, this happened on days 12 and 13 of the cruise which is why it made no sense to me 'cause it obviously had nothing to do with booking the entire cruise nor B2B.

Princess's booking policy is a farce and now with the price increase it's ridiculous. We enjoyed 10 days in Celebrity's Solarium free. Chairs as nice as the Sanctuary, never an issue getting a seat, food available, protected from the wind with a lovely pool. Did I mention Free? My days of lining up for the sanctuary are over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I sailed onthe equinox I couldn't believe how nice it was in that area and no charge. Celebrity fitout is much more nicer than princess. Also rcl you dont have to pay for something similar.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

I misread, thought it was a whole cruise booking.

Still not right tho.

I have no doubt what kind of paperwork was involved. :) However, this happened on days 12 and 13 of the cruise which is why it made no sense to me 'cause it obviously had nothing to do with booking the entire cruise nor B2B.

• 3 months later...
Yes, a half-day is $20 and yes, if you book the entire cruise, it's $30/day which is a nice discount. However, you cannot book a half-day in advance. In other words, if you go up there and want to book a half-day for a sea day a few days away, you won't be able to.

When I've booked by the day, I've had to be lined up no later than 6:30am... and usually earlier. Some ships are experimenting with being able to book the next day the afternoon before but I don't know which ships or whether this is still the case. With the new doubled rate increase, it's possible that the long lines are a thing of the past. Don't know.

We experienced quite a different circumstance on our Coral 11 day Panama Canal cruise. With the price increase I had decided we weren't paying that kind of money, but after making our way down to investigate it looked to nice to pass up, so we booked for the week. During the 11 day trip the Sanctuary was practically empty I'd guess there were no more than 10 - 12 people there at any given time. I'm not disputing what others have experienced but wanted to let you know how our trip was. I would definitely do the Coral again as well as the Sanctuary. We are now looking at ships(Emerald , Royal) with the Sanctuary at the front of the ship and I'm not sure if I like the location, so it remains to be seen if will do the Sanctuary on the next cruise