Involuntary Downgrade

One other thing--if the OP sees this...

When you arrive at teh port, I would seek out the hotel manager and explain the problem, and suggest that if there is a no show for a suite, that you should be entitled to it.

I would also find out if they are selling upgrades to suites at the port, and demand what you paid for if they are--even if it means you get the nicest suite on the ship for the price of a W guarantee.

To add to the confusion:

Navigator 7 night July 6th, look at the price of a JS, as opposed to the W Gty. No other suite is showing available, so the assumption is you may get better then a JS?

Not me I will pick my cabin.... won't trust any gty. offered

.Junior Suite with Balcony

PHOTOS Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King, measuring 72.5 inches wide by 82 inches long, private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area.

(297 sq. ft., balcony 75 sq. ft.)

OCCUPANCY: Up to 2 Guests

deckplan Codes: .decks:

6 7 9 10 .

Exclusive Rates

Per Person Price

Guests 1-2: $1,529

$3,058 USD Select Stateroom

..Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

deckplan Codes: .. Guests 1-2: $2,034

$4,068 USD Select Stateroom .

Edited by Mac303

One other thing--if the OP sees this...

When you arrive at teh port, I would seek out the hotel manager and explain the problem, and suggest that if there is a no show for a suite, that you should be entitled to it.

I would also find out if they are selling upgrades to suites at the port, and demand what you paid for if they are--even if it means you get the nicest suite on the ship for the price of a W guarantee.

Even though Miami told the OP that they would tell the ship to do the same, this is an excellent idea, and I hope the OP reads the continuing thread, and follows through, first by seeking out the pier co ordinator, and remind him/her and secondly seeking out the Hotel Director, and having a quick word with them.

I would be pretty unhappy if I were the OP and found out that a suite is being Bingo ed off. But, the deal has been made between the OP and Royal Caribbean, and anything further would just confuse everyone involved.

However it turns out, enjoy your cruise!!:)

Rick

To add to the confusion:

Navigator 7 night July 6th, look at the price of a JS, as opposed to the W Gty. No other suite is showing available, so the assumption is you may get better then a JS?

Not me I will pick my cabin.... won't trust any gty. offered

.Junior Suite with Balcony

PHOTOS Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King, measuring 72.5 inches wide by 82 inches long, private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area.

(297 sq. ft., balcony 75 sq. ft.)

OCCUPANCY: Up to 2 Guests

deckplan Codes: .decks:

6 7 9 10 .

Exclusive Rates

Per Person Price

Guests 1-2: $1,529

$3,058 USD Select Stateroom

..Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

deckplan Codes: .. Guests 1-2: $2,034

$4,068 USD Select Stateroom .

Especially if one qualifies for senior, military or residency discounts, one will sometimes see gty categories (W in this case) priced higher than applicable regular categories (JS in this case). Personally, I would not pay more for a W than for a JS, but some people, like the OP, take the gamble in hope of scoring an upgrade. So, it makes sense for the line to make the offer. Sometimes the gty category appears at a higher price, then a short time later the gty price drops, sometimes Tuesday or other sale.

If the OP's party is happy with his deal, than I am happy for them. may they have a delightful time.

The difference between an airline overbooking and a cruise ship overbooking is that the vast majority of the time when an airline is overbooked, someone will gladly volunteer to take a bump for compensation, and usually arrives at their destination within an hour or two of their previously scheduled time on a different flight. You can't simply move a cruise passenger to another cruise that will take them to the same places and return them more or less at the same time.

Cruise lines don't refund for late cancellations, so there's no reason for them to overbook other than greed.That's just wrong...

While I agree with most of your comments (including those not copied here), I have some minor issues with your analysis. Many people who are working and/or have kids in school may have very little flexibility in travel scheduling. However if you are a retiree in Florida (I am retired and spend the winter in Florida) you may have very little concern if the cruise is this week or three weeks from now. If I was in the situation of the OP, and got a call from RCI saying "Sorry, we screwed up, but if you would you be willing to cruise on [date OR date OR date] we will give you a JS and an Owners Suite" I'd be on it in a heartbeat, and thank them! Next week (15 Jun) every category on the Freedom except Royal Suite is showing available (that includes Presidential Suite, Royal Family, Owners, Grand, JS down through Inside GTY). The OP never indicated that RCI tried this approach - they should have.

In addition to greed, a potential cause of overselling is incompetence. RCI's IT department has never had a good reputation.

Thom

While I agree with most of your comments (including those not copied here), I have some minor issues with your analysis. Many people who are working and/or have kids in school may have very little flexibility in travel scheduling. However if you are a retiree in Florida (I am retired and spend the winter in Florida) you may have very little concern if the cruise is this week or three weeks from now. If I was in the situation of the OP, and got a call from RCI saying "Sorry, we screwed up, but if you would you be willing to cruise on [date OR date OR date] we will give you a JS and an Owners Suite" I'd be on it in a heartbeat, and thank them! Next week (15 Jun) every category on the Freedom except Royal Suite is showing available (that includes Presidential Suite, Royal Family, Owners, Grand, JS down through Inside GTY). The OP never indicated that RCI tried this approach - they should have.

In addition to greed, a potential cause of overselling is incompetence. RCI's IT department has never had a good reputation.

Thom

The OP indicated that the week they chose was the ONLY one that fit their schedules.

I've thought about doing a gty, but after reading this thread I don't think I will try it. Thank you for posting the rules and the interesting discussion.

This is the first time I have read about something like this happening. Chances are that it was a mistake that, instead of being dealt with properly, was mishandled from the start, leading to OPs post here.

I would still book at gty, but be aware that things like this can happen and know what you can expect to receive if they did make a mistake such as this one.

Mistakes happen, but they need to be dealt with in a fair manner.

This is incredibly rare as far as CC is concerned..... how rare it is in reality is another matter.... and we'll never know......

I booked a Q (inside) GTY on Rhapsody for next year and got assigned an 'L' inside which is fine. I just had to get on board before the prices rocketed, which they have.

This is the first time I have read about something like this happening. Chances are that it was a mistake that, instead of being dealt with properly, was mishandled from the start, leading to OPs post here.

I would still book at gty, but be aware that things like this can happen and know what you can expect to receive if they did make a mistake such as this one.

I agree with Marci 115%. :)

BTW, they should be on board by now. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!!!!

This is incredibly rare as far as CC is concerned..... how rare it is in reality is another matter.... and we'll never know......

I booked a Q (inside) GTY on Rhapsody for next year and got assigned an 'L' inside which is fine. I just had to get on board before the prices rocketed, which they have.

Considering that less it's guesstimated that less than 5% of the cruising public uses these boards, it's quite possible that it happens more than we'll ever know, unfortunately.

Hi,

Agree with you and many others.

I read this thread with interest and I am happy for the OP, that it was resolved to his satisfaction.

But this RCI's mistake' in booking as well as in trying to correct it at few different levels does not present the company ( at least to me) in good reputable viewpoint.

What would have happened to someone else in the same situation..... who does not know about CC ( and would not get the help which was provided), or is not a D cruiser ? ( and is not as familiar with pricing and OBC)

Would the corporate help be provided ?

Some improvement is needed there.

Edited by wieslaw

Considering that less it's guesstimated that less than 5% of the cruising public uses these boards, it's quite possible that it happens more than we'll ever know, unfortunately.

I am sure it is possible--you never know. Nonetheless, given that many on these boards (myself included) often book gty and have not had an issue such as this, it seems that the norm is for things to go as they should, and that this is an unfortunate anomaly.

And if there was a Suite available for Bingo:rolleyes: No matter what; ENJOY the cruise!

I think they get maximum use out of those Bingo suites. They put the entertainers in them the first few days, then, when they get off in St. Martin or St. Thomas, they let the bingo winner have it for the last few days.

Thanks for letting us know, and Bon Voyage!:)

Congrats for the credit and for keeping us informed. Since I have been a member of CC I can't even count the number of times I was waiting for the "rest of the story" and it never materialized.

Have a wonderful cruise and post when you return on your experience.

I am so pleased you got resolution with this and I know hope you can get on the ship and have a brilliant time. :D

It was also good to see how everyone on here pulled together to help with advice and telephone numbers etc. CC at it's best :)

Welcome to CC and bon voyage :)

Totally agree, everyone is happy for you!:)

And kudos to all those who helped!:D

I had good luck with Corporate Relationship. My issue was with the treatment of an $822 credit per that RCL allowed us for a noisy cabin and caused us to move to a lower level balcony on the 12 nites Mediterranean cruise. When I agreed to the credit, we did not know that it was not like cash and affected the TA's comms. I went a bit loco when the TA had to delete the $100 obc and the specialty restaurant for 2. After dickering with the CR representative, we received obc's for the full value of the percs.

Good luck to you and may you have the same success.

I just booked a (W) and this was the description::confused:

"With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a Deluxe/Suites stateroom, which could be in any Deluxe/Suites category (excluding suites), anywhere on the ship. Room assignments are determined after your reservation has been completed and paid in full."

I just got my cabin a JS on Majesty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got my cabin a JS on Majesty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much of a surprise, since those are the only cabins other than full suites that actually have balconies on that ship:D

If you got a GS, it would be something, however.

Edited by orville99

Wow, now that was some bizarre situation and a very long thread (that I just finished reading!). I'm happy for the OP so long as they are happy.

Note to self: never ever book a GTY cabin. :(

I'm not sure what is going on with RC but they are shooting themselves in the foot continuously here in the last 4-6 months. This isn't the first horror story I've heard or read about where CS is concerned. Sounds like they need to have a 'comin to Jesus meeting' with a whole slew of upper management and get their crap together. It's very sad.

I was getting ready to possibly book 2 more cruises next year but I'm definitely rethinking it. I just don't deal well with poor customer service and they seem to be overflowing with it these days in more ways then one.

:confused:

I hope the OP updates this thread here so we know what type of cabin they received. Something tells me it didn't go so smoothly or I would have thought there would have been an immediate update.

Edited by Esmerelda