Yet another PVSA question, involving Alaska

Wehwalt

Hi, I'm on the Ocean Princess, and I just spoke with the Future Cruise Consultant about a booking for next May, the Pacific's repositioning LA-Vancouver, then the two following Alaska segments, Vancouver to Whittier (or wherever in Alaska it ends) and then the return Whittier to Vancouver. She said it would be a PVSA violation to do both the repositioning and the two Alaskas. Can someone explain this to me? I don't see how this doesn't net out as an LA-Vancouver.

she's wrong. You're starting the cruise in the US and ending in Canada. Ask her what part of that is two different US Ports :rolleyes: And really, this law is not that hard to understand, how can they have people in that position that don't understand.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I just returned from a Los Angeles to Vancouver, Vancouver to Whittier, Whittier to Vancouver no the Coral a week ago. It is not a violation of the PVSA because I am technically boarding in Los Angeles and getting off in Vancouver.

It is sad that the FCC consultant on the ship was not more knowledgeable. But I did come to the conclusion on this voyage that Princess' staff knowledge levels are not consistent.

The PVSA is interesting in that it first went into force in 1886! Also of interest is the penalty for landing a passenger "improperly" is only $300 (per passenger improperly landed). Just some trivia for a Sunday.:D

She might be confusing Vancouver BC with Vancouver in Washington state. I've had that confuse arise on a few occasions.

But most people aren't even aware that Vancouver WA exists, and no cruise ships stop there.

To be fair to her, the PVSA message popped up on her screen. So I was unfair in implying that it had originated with her. I suspect the problem was it was showing as LA-Whittier before she added the southbound segment. Next time she has office hours I will ask her to try it again.

Thanks to all for the replies.

To be fair to her, the PVSA message popped up on her screen. So I was unfair in implying that it had originated with her. I suspect the problem was it was showing as LA-Whittier before she added the southbound segment. Next time she has office hours I will ask her to try it again.

Have her book the Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver segments first and then add the LA-Vancouver to the start of the booking.

I booked the Alaska ones with her then late last night booked the LA to Vancouver on my computer without any trouble so I will go down and have her and the FCD to it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar situation last year with NCL. We booked B2B Los Angeles to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Alaska, returning to Seattle. That WAS a violation, so we switched ships and did LA to Vancouver, then Vancouver RT to Alaska.

Even after that I was called by NCL at least three times saying I was violating the PVSA. Finally my TA got the NCL Reservations Supervisor to put a memo in my file, plus I took a copy with me in case anyone at the ports gave me grief.

Stand your ground and do not let them cancel your reservations. You should get something in writing from Princess confirming that your booking is legal.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay a $300 fine if that's all it costs to violate the law, but I believe the cruise line also gets fined.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay a $300 fine if that's all it costs to violate the law, but I believe the cruise line also gets fined.

Unfortunately, it's not a voluntary thing where you can just offer to pay the $300 and all is forgiven, etc.

We ran into this situation a few years ago with HAL along the West Coast. This was before we knew anything about PSVA and had booked an illegal B2B. When it was discovered -- about 10 days prior to sailing - HAL offered to pay the $300 per person fine on our behalf, but Customs/Border Protection refused and we had to cancel one of the segments. In the end, we canceled both segments (the trip didn't make much sense without being able to do the B2B) and HAL refunded our cruise fare.

I had a similar situation last year with NCL. We booked B2B Los Angeles to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Alaska, returning to Seattle. That WAS a violation, so we switched ships and did LA to Vancouver, then Vancouver RT to Alaska.

Even after that I was called by NCL at least three times saying I was violating the PVSA. Finally my TA got the NCL Reservations Supervisor to put a memo in my file, plus I took a copy with me in case anyone at the ports gave me grief.

Stand your ground and do not let them cancel your reservations. You should get something in writing from Princess confirming that your booking is legal.

They won't cancel it. I decided this was more than I cared to deal with while on a cruise enjoying myself and I called in my TA. I'm sure it'll all be resolved.

What happens is that the ship (and cruise line) is fined and it creates major problems for them to knowingly allow you to violate the law. Same as being an accessory to a crime and aiding and abetting. The cruise line passes on the cost of the fine to you. The bottom line is that they cannot knowingly allow you to violate the PVSA.

The penalty for knowingly allowing a passenger to board with the intention of violating the PVSA could be a ban on ALL ships owned by that line from ALL US ports for between 6 months to a year. No cruise line is going to do that. There is a little leeway in determining when this penalty is applied, and it is not done lightly, but cruiselines won't routinely 'allow' a violation/$300 fine for fear of escalating the fine to a higher level.

Edited by cherylandtk