Marina culinary kitchen course

DrJW

The pasta class is loads of fun...

The classes in general are all great on the Riviera... not so much on the Marina.

DH & I really enjoyed the pasta class. We had Chef Annie and thought she was very good (we were on Riviera). We will take another class when we sail on the O ships again (whenever that may be).

The pasta class is loads of fun...

The classes in general are all great on the Riviera... not so much on the Marina.

Thanks for the input. The pasta class looks like a winner; and its on our sea day so no problems with any of our excursions.

DH & I really enjoyed the pasta class. We had Chef Annie and thought she was very good (we were on Riviera). We will take another class when we sail on the O ships again (whenever that may be).

Thanks, DOJ. It does sound like fun. I certainly will enjoy watching my spouse cook. (However, he's a great laundryman.)

It's all in the instructor. On the Marina, we cancelled all the remaining classes after the first one we took. It may have been a good cook, but it was no instructor.

So it was the chef you did not like

We booked our November 2014 TA (BCN to MIA) more than a year ago and scheduled our excursions awhile back. However, every time we checked on the culinary classes, we received the "Culinary classes are not available for this cruise" message. Finally, last night, a wide variety of classes appeared for scheduling. Don't know if it's because of the 90-day-prior rule, the final-payment rule, or the luck-of-the-draw rule but we were able to schedule Italy, Spain, and Paris classes. It continues to say "Culinary packages are not available for this cruise" but we'll keep checking to see if they offer a package deal as they do for excursions.

We booked our November 2014 TA (BCN to MIA) more than a year ago and scheduled our excursions awhile back. However, every time we checked on the culinary classes, we received the "Culinary classes are not available for this cruise" message. Finally, last night, a wide variety of classes appeared for scheduling. Don't know if it's because of the 90-day-prior rule, the final-payment rule, or the luck-of-the-draw rule but we were able to schedule Italy, Spain, and Paris classes. It continues to say "Culinary packages are not available for this cruise" but we'll keep checking to see if they offer a package deal as they do for excursions.

There is no package deal for the Culinary classes you pay per session & if you book in advance you pay at the time of booking

Must be the luck of the draw when they are listed as I booked some for our May 2015 cruise a few days ago ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I am not sure how refunds go if you ultimately do not take either the course or cruise.

I believe it is 48 hours notice. We had to cancel one on our cruise last week due to a last minute scheduling conflict.

Not offered on either of my cruise are the more $$$ courses where you go to the market on one of the cruise stops to get your ingredients and then cook what you got and more. Sounds great though pricey but not offered for my cruises.

We did the Helsinki market tour last year in the Baltics on Marina. It was well worth the price we thought. We met the instructor (12 of us), boarded a small bus to the market, toured and then solo shopped for items to make both sweet and savory crepes with later (they even provided Euros for us to use), then all headed to the Culinary Institute of Helsinki where the 12 of us all worked in teams to make a wonderful "traditional" reindeer sausage dinner of 4 or 5 components. I lucked out and landed on the sausage making end of things - and we literally started with a bunch of sheep intestine and large hunks of meat and fat. Was quite the "experience" and it was a ton of fun. :) We went back to the ship around 3pm, had an hour off then all met at 4pm back in the cooking center (where all our finds from the market were laid out for us) and proceeded to spend about 2 hours making all types of crepes. Highly recommended if it is offered. Just make sure this is a night where you don't plan on eating much (e.g. speciality restaurant)!

Edited by corpkid

Has anyone taken the Red Ginger class? I would like to but am highly allergic to fish so afraid to sign up for this one. Does anyone know what you prepare during this class?

TAKE IT! We made their epic miso sea bass, and a few other items (I honestly can't remember and haven't unpacked yet to get the recipe list out). It was about 1/2 seafood, however. I've taken a total of 6 over 2 10 day cruises and have enjoyed each (though Pasta is a highlight along with Red Ginger).

Edited by corpkid

TAKE IT! We made their epic miso sea bass, and a few other items (I honestly can't remember and haven't unpacked yet to get the recipe list out). It was about 1/2 seafood, however. I've taken a total of 6 over 2 10 day cruises and have enjoyed each (though Pasta is a highlight along with Red Ginger).

Thanks so much for this very helpful information, corpkid. That confirms it. Signing up for the pasta class right after I sign off here.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

The Helsinki market tour sounds wonderful (the intestines - not so much). We have also taken the pasta class and are signed up for the Red Ginger class in November. It sounds wonderful!

The best part is one of the people in my station (there were 3 of us) used to actually make sausage for a living way back when. I kid you not. We aced that skill (and it's much harder than it would seem!).

Turns out, I like reindeer sausage if you give me enough wine. :)

I'll echo my experience - they don't serve wine OFTEN. It's just for a few classes. I've been to quite a few (8 I believe) and only served wine twice. However you are more than welcome to bring a glass in from a bar.

You DO get to eat your food (just can't take any out of the class re: Health Laws). I'm usually full by the time class ends - it's typically 3 to 6 dishes you'll make in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Everything is mise en placed for you, so it's really just a matter of some cutting of things, following directions, and then cooking technique. It really is focused on cooking techniques like "Fish en Papillote" or pasta making, or how to make excellent crepes, etc.

The pace of the classes is as such:

- Meet and greet, pair up at a station (get there about 15 mins early to snag one of the front stations).

- Demostation and Q&A

- Back to station and cook (everything is mise en placed at your station). Follow the demo instructions and the instructor and assistants come around to give you feedback as you cook.

- Eat (quickly) and back for demo & Q&A round 2... when you return to your station, it will be once again mise en placed for you and repeat x number of dishes in your class...

If you like wine try La Reserve. I do it every cruise and it's always fun.

Edited by corpkid

I'll echo my experience - they don't serve wine OFTEN. It's just for a few classes. I've been to quite a few (8 I believe) and only served wine twice. However you are more than welcome to bring a glass in from a bar.

You DO get to eat your food (just can't take any out of the class re: Health Laws). I'm usually full by the time class ends - it's typically 3 to 6 dishes you'll make in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Everything is mise en placed for you, so it's really just a matter of some cutting of things, following directions, and then cooking technique. It really is focused on cooking techniques like "Fish en Papillote" or pasta making, or how to make excellent crepes, etc.

The pace of the classes is as such:

- Meet and greet, pair up at a station (get there about 15 mins early to snag one of the front stations).

- Demostation and Q&A

- Back to station and cook (everything is mise en placed at your station). Follow the demo instructions and the instructor and assistants come around to give you feedback as you cook.

- Eat (quickly) and back for demo & Q&A round 2... when you return to your station, it will be once again mise en placed for you and repeat x number of dishes in your class...

If you like wine try La Reserve. I do it every cruise and it's always fun.

thank you for the input from your experiences.

DH and I are booked for a class called Tropical Breezes which includes tropical drinks, so hoping we get to sample some! DH will like that. ;)

I am also booked for one other class and toying with the idea of a third and I like wine! Both are 4 pm classes....

Will have to consider La Reserve, but I am afraid it may be too much food and too much wine! too much of a good thing!

I'm a fan of La Reserve.

The individual portions are small -- numerous, yes, but small.

Likewise, while you sample a lot of wine you don't have to drink up every glass. (OR you can ask to have a second of something ... handy if you know you don't want to try the next one.)

We did have young woman at one of our La Reserve dinners who was very slender and clearly had too much either to eat or drink, or both. But that's the only time I saw someone under the weather.

DH isn't a big drinker and he's never felt forced to drink it all ... and as I have said, the various food portions are not large.

Try it, I bet you'll like it.

Mura

I'll echo Mura... It's more of a tasting menu where the wine take precedence. You will be blown away (sometimes at least) by how well the wine enhances the food. This is not a frat party by any means. It's more like a dinner party with amazing bites and some wine that is out of my personal everyday price range. Like Mura said, you drink as little or as much as you want. I learned to pace myself with both wine and food. But again, the dishes are usually just a few bites. I can tell you I've made a LOT of friends at my table (well there are three tables of 8). I like to go early and then we can all meet up for drinks or dinner later on the cruise. It's very convivial.

thank you both.....it sounds very tempting to try......and sounds like a great way to meet some fun people! We do love to taste good wines paired with food. I was just afraid the portions would be overwhelming.

I know our TA, who specializes in Oceania cruises, highly recommended La Reserve.!