Host Walt: Piano Bar thread - Sticky?

elycelynne

If ever a website deserved to be a sticky it would be Halfacts. It is clear, concise and an excellent resource for all Cruise Critic readers.

I agree. It makes more sense than a sticky for hamburgers and hot dogs IMO.

If ever a website deserved to be a sticky it would be Halfacts. It is clear, concise and an excellent resource for all Cruise Critic readers.

I'll second that with a big YES!

A big NO to a sticky for piano bar entertainers. They are too often subject to change.

I didn't realize that my question would generate such a heated "discussion". A big never mind, then.

But I do agree about the lack of necessity for the Dive-In sticky. If we can search for "piano", then we can also search for "Dive-In".

Nothing to be sorry about.

We all have special interests and that is one of yours.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

As I recall, didn't some Piano Bar entertainers permit you to sing along or solo but others did not? Or is that someone else I am thinking of?

Nothing to be sorry about.

We all have special interests and that is one of yours.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

As I recall, didn't some Piano Bar entertainers permit you to sing along or solo but others did not? Or is that someone else I am thinking of?

Wow, what a memory you have! I'm impressed.

Yes, that was me. I was asking about the official HAL policy on passengers taking the mic for a song or two, and the reaction I got was pretty harsh in a lot of cases.

(Speaking of which, on my last cruise the piano bar player actually ASKED ME to sing something. And people actually clapped when I was done!)

Wow, what a memory you have! I'm impressed.

Yes, that was me. I was asking about the official HAL policy on passengers taking the mic for a song or two, and the reaction I got was pretty harsh in a lot of cases.

(Speaking of which, on my last cruise the piano bar player actually ASKED ME to sing something. And people actually clapped when I was done!)

Glad I had it right or it could have been embarrassing. :)

Happy you got to sing.

How did the 'Piano Man' know you like to do that? Did he remember you from a previous cruise?

Edited by sail7seas

Glad I had it right or it could have been embarrassing. :)

Happy you got to sing.

How did the 'Piano Man' know you like to do that? Did he remember you from a previous cruise?

Actually, in this case it was a "Piano Woman" (Olga Savage, who doesn't do full contracts -- Only "fill-ins" between others' contracts). I had never sailed with her before. She heard me singing along, and after a few nights asked me if I wanted to sing something at the mic. So I came up with a song that I could sing reasonably well and that she could play. (Sometimes fulfilling both of those requirements isn't so easy.)

Actually, in this case it was a "Piano Woman" (Olga Savage, who doesn't do full contracts -- Only "fill-ins" between others' contracts). I had never sailed with her before. She heard me singing along, and after a few nights asked me if I wanted to sing something at the mic. So I came up with a song that I could sing reasonably well and that she could play. (Sometimes fulfilling both of those requirements isn't so easy.)

That was really nice of her, and I'm sure you have a lovely voice. But I'm betting that 99% of the piano bar patrons go to listen to the piano "man" and if you let one take the mic, then others will want to follow. Bit sticky (no pun intended!) as you could end up with karaoke sessions.:eek:

That was really nice of her' date=' and I'm sure you have a lovely voice. But I'm betting that 99% of the piano bar patrons go to listen to the piano "man" and if you let one take the mic, then others will want to follow. Bit sticky (no pun intended!) as you could end up with karaoke sessions.:eek:[/quote']

Sigh! Here we go again. :(

That was really nice of her' date=' and I'm sure you have a lovely voice. But I'm betting that 99% of the piano bar patrons go to listen to the piano "man" and if you let one take the mic, then others will want to follow. Bit sticky (no pun intended!) as you could end up with karaoke sessions.:eek:[/quote']

And the Piano Bar is NO place for Karaoke!!!

And the Piano Bar is NO place for Karaoke!!!

I think most piano players would have enough control over their room so that it wouldn't turn into one giant karaoke session. And in my case, she exercised her judgment when she asked me to sing. Which is much different than karaoke, where anybody who wants to can get up and sing (or try to), regardless of their level of talent and/or inebriation.

Such angst and strife over a sticky. I feel like I'm at a condo meeting in Boca Raton.

Now that is funny! But it is worse... because this condo HOA group is stuck somewhere wayyyy north of Boca shoveling snow and wishing they were in Boca.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I think most piano players would have enough control over their room so that it wouldn't turn into one giant karaoke session. And in my case, she exercised her judgment when she asked me to sing. Which is much different than karaoke, where anybody who wants to can get up and sing (or try to), regardless of their level of talent and/or inebriation.

I'm not doubting your level of talent but the piano man develops a rapport with his listeners which draws them back night after night. They go to be entertained by him and not listen to other passengers who want to sing.

Karaoke Night is the proper place for that if you like that sort of thing. I don't care for it but I will admit that on the two or three times I have attended karaoke there have been a few surprisingly decent singers.