Coffee Taste Test

bonsai3s

Wouldn't it have to be a blind tasting to be truly scientific? Double-blind, actually, to eliminate bias.

See, and people are often complaining how there's nothing to do in bad weather or on multiple sea days . . .

Dr. Rdsqrl-

I just don't know where you would find all those blind cruisers... especially those who are double blind!

...I have to tell you that it's such a pleasure to come back to Princess threads after trying to read the Celebrity ones where people are attacking each other.

Not sure what that says about their demographics. And yes, IIRC their MDR coffee was bad.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Right. Check the Cruise Critic forums on the other cruise lines and you get many threads/posts about how bad the coffee is on their favorite line.

In my experience (non-specilaty coffees): HAL's coffee is decent (beans even in the Lido). Worst coffee so far has been Princess and MSC.

Edited by Boytjie

Dr. Rdsqrl-

I just don't know where you would find all those blind cruisers... especially those who are double blind!

It is the ones that are two seats away from the dealer, oh hang on, they are the big blinds. Maybe they are the ones on drink packages.:D

You guys are sick! :p

I have to tell you that it's such a pleasure to come back to Princess threads after trying to read the Celebrity ones where people are attacking each other.

They can get a bit testy over there.:D

They have changed to real brewed coffee on the Royal and the Regal in the dining rooms and Horizon court and it is wonderful - even better than the IC. I am praying they will roll it out fleet wide !

This is so good to know! Thank you, GweninTX, for sharing. Maybe no coffee card this time? We'll see. :D We still have one from two sailings ago that has punches available.

I probably bleed starbucks coffee. I drink a dark roast coffee every morning, and worked for Sbux for about 2 1/2 years! I'm slighly wary now about the coffee situation! I will admit I am extremely snobby about my coffee. Not saying Sbux is the best out there but it's prety decent. Am I to understand that the MDR coffee is bad but the international cafe is good? (obviously this is an opinionate question)

I feel like Alaska has good Yukon coffee, is that something we just have to purcahse off ship or will they serve it on board?

I can't say we are HUGE drinkers so I'm considering trading in the minibar for 2 coffee cards. Can anyone shed some light on that process, what does that get you? Is it a limited amount of specialty coffee drinks or unlimited?

Thanks!

I probably bleed starbucks coffee.

Me too.

Am I to understand that the MDR coffee is bad but the international cafe is good? (obviously this is an opinionate question)

The coffee in the MDR, buffet, room service, is made from a syrup concentrate. Some people like it, some don't. The coffee in IC is either fresh-brewed or some form of espresso-based drink made fresh there in the IC bar.

I feel like Alaska has good Yukon coffee, is that something we just have to purcahse off ship or will they serve it on board?

I have never been asked if I want a particular brand of coffee. You get what they use.

Is it a limited amount of specialty coffee drinks or unlimited?

Both. ;):):D The specialty drinks (latte, etc.) require a punch on the card. I think there are 15 available punches. The fresh-brewed coffee is unlimited with the card for the voyage you are currently on. The leftover punches can be used on another future cruise but not the unlimited brewed option.

Me too.

The coffee in the MDR, buffet, room service, is made from a syrup concentrate. Some people like it, some don't. The coffee in IC is either fresh-brewed or some form of espresso-based drink made fresh there in the IC bar.

I have never been asked if I want a particular brand of coffee. You get what they use.

Both. ;):):D The specialty drinks (latte, etc.) require a punch on the card. I think there are 15 available punches. The fresh-brewed coffee is unlimited with the card for the voyage you are currently on. The leftover punches can be used on another future cruise but not the unlimited brewed option.

Thanks!!! This is great stuff to know! Syrup coffee... doesn't sounds good at all...to me............ leaning towards that card

I probably bleed starbucks coffee. I drink a dark roast coffee every morning, and worked for Sbux for about 2 1/2 years! I'm slighly wary now about the coffee situation! I will admit I am extremely snobby about my coffee. Not saying Sbux is the best out there but it's prety decent. Am I to understand that the MDR coffee is bad but the international cafe is good? (obviously this is an opinionate question)

I can't say we are HUGE drinkers so I'm considering trading in the minibar for 2 coffee cards. Can anyone shed some light on that process, what does that get you? Is it a limited amount of specialty coffee drinks or unlimited?

Thanks!

The coffee in the MDR and Horizon Court is made of a syrup and IMO tastes bad. The coffee at the coffee bar next to the IC is fresh brewed coffee (from grounds in a regular coffee pot) and specialty coffees. Much Better :)

As to the coffee card, YES, trade the mini bar. I think it is the best value. On the cruise you get the coffee card on you will be entitled to unlimited fresh brewed coffee any time, and you will have 15 punches for the specialty coffees, and gelato if your ship has gelato. The unused punches are good on subsequent cruises until you use them up. But, the fresh brewed coffee is supposed to take a punch, but don't be surprised if they don't even notice and give you free fresh brewed anyway. Happens to me all the time.

[quote name='Carole_T']What is the cost for the coffee card? I am guessing a card for a 7 day cruise would cost less than a card for a 17 day cruise?[/QUOTE]

The coffee card costs around $32 (with the 15% service charge). It includes 15 "punches" for espresso-based drinks. Those punches are good for as long as you have them, and can be transferred from ship to ship.

With the coffee card, you also get unlimited brewed coffee, tea, and yummy hot chocolate (made with steamed milk) only for on the cruise that the card was purchased.

It is one of the greatest deals at sea, IMO!:)

[quote name='TracieABD']The coffee card costs around $32 (with the 15% service charge). It includes 15 "punches" for espresso-based drinks. Those punches are good for as long as you have them, and can be transferred from ship to ship.

With the coffee card, you also get unlimited brewed coffee, tea, and yummy hot chocolate (made with steamed milk) only for on the cruise that the card was purchased.

It is one of the greatest deals at sea, IMO!:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it works out to be pretty good value.:D

[quote name='TracieABD']...With the coffee card, you also get unlimited brewed coffee, tea, and yummy hot chocolate (made with steamed milk) only for on the cruise that the card was purchased...[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if the price of the card is pro-rated for shorter or longer cruises? In other words if it is $32 for a 7-day cruise, is it $15 for a 3-day or whatever it works out to? I can't find any mention of it on HAL's website or on CC, unless I missed it.

I am interested mainly in brewed coffee, not the specialty drinks. I personally drink about 2 cups per day, so I'm thinking the card might not be a good deal my case unless the price is reduced for shorter voyages.

[quote name='Ryndam2002']Does anyone know if the price of the card is pro-rated for shorter or longer cruises? In other words if it is $32 for a 7-day cruise, is it $15 for a 3-day or whatever it works out to? I can't find any mention of it on HAL's website or on CC, unless I missed it.

I am interested mainly in brewed coffee, not the specialty drinks. I personally drink about 2 cups per day, so I'm thinking the card might not be a good deal my case unless the price is reduced for shorter voyages.[/QUOTE]
Coffee cards are same price no matter how long the cruise & on the Royal/Regal a card punch is good for tasty ice cream treats at Gelato's.

[quote name='Ryndam2002']Does anyone know if the price of the card is pro-rated for shorter or longer cruises? In other words if it is $32 for a 7-day cruise, is it $15 for a 3-day or whatever it works out to? I can't find any mention of it on HAL's website or on CC, unless I missed it.

I am interested mainly in brewed coffee, not the specialty drinks. I personally drink about 2 cups per day, so I'm thinking the card might not be a good deal my case unless the price is reduced for shorter voyages.[/QUOTE]

As already mentioned, the card can be used from ship to ship, so as TracieABD posted -[I]It includes 15 "punches" for espresso-based drinks. Those punches are good for as long as you have them, and can be transferred from ship to ship.[/I].:D

As a side note, if you buy your card on one ship and bring it to another ship--if you have punches left on it, you can use those punches for brewed coffee OR espresso-based drinks. You will have to give up a punch, but if you want brewed- go for it!

[quote name='Astro Flyer']Coffee cards are same price no matter how long the cruise & on the Royal/Regal a card punch is good for tasty ice cream treats at Gelato's.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Astro Flyer, that's what I was wanting to know:)

[quote name='Astro Flyer']Coffee cards are same price no matter how long the cruise & on the Royal/Regal a card punch is good for tasty ice cream treats at Gelato's.[/QUOTE]

So it would be a REALLY great deal if you are a brewed coffee or hot chocolate drinker on longer cruises, with no limits on either! I figure that on a 3 or 4-day, I'm better off with pay-as-you-go. Edited by Ryndam2002

[quote name='Ryndam2002']So it would be a REALLY great deal if you are a brewed coffee or hot chocolate drinker on longer cruises, with no limits on either! I figure that on a 3 or 4-day, I'm better off with pay-as-you-go.[/QUOTE]

I agree & on a short cruise the unlimited brewed coffee may not be cost-effective. Not to begin the umpteenth coffee taste debate but I know of passengers who are okay with the coffee from concentrate or will add things like Starbucks VIA to it. Edited by Astro Flyer

[quote name='Carole_T']What is the cost for the coffee card? I am guessing a card for a 7 day cruise would cost less than a card for a 17 day cruise?[/QUOTE]Since the coffee card has 15 punches good for specialty drinks, there is only one price. Well two, $31 if purchased in advance or $33.35 if purchased on board. The unlimited fresh brewed coffee on the cruise you purchase the card is a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app