Coffee Taste Test

bonsai3s

Not sure we will ever spend our cruise time conducting taste tests but we do agree with the OPs results. I guess I fall into the coffee fanatic crowd and am also a coffee purist preferring to drink my coffee black. The exception is good expresso where I do indulge in a good cappuccino or latte. At home, we have a very good Swiss made expresso machine and only use Lavazza beans (imported from Italy). As frequent cruisers (been on 14 different cruise lines) we have never been impressed with MDR or Lido coffee on any ship (although the old Crystal Harmony was pretty darn good). The stuff they serve in the Princess buffets is not fit to be put in any real coffee cup. At best, it is like a bad instant coffee and at worst it is some warm beverage that masquerades as coffee. As to the MDR, on our recent 25 day Ruby cruise we found it hit or miss....but generally it missed by a mile :).

Now we come to the International Café which (on the Ruby) became our home away from home. The brewed coffee in that venue was quite good (not great) and they also make a darn good expresso/cappuccino. So count us in the group that loves their coffee card :). What bugs me about cruise lines are that they are well aware of the coffee complaints. But rather then improve the quality (and taste) of coffee in the MDR and Lido they elect to only provide decent coffee to those willing to pay. Some now argue that on certain cruise lines the only way to get decent cuisine is to pay extra to go to a "real restaurant" rather then eat the cafeteria drab in the MDR or Lido. This seems to be another case where the cruise lines, rather then improving their regular cuisine, keeps reducing quality in the included venues while providing the good stuff to only those willing to pay extra.

Times have changed! When we first cruised on RCCL (about forty years ago) the waiters (in the MDR) would bring your main dishes followed by the assistant waiter who came around with vegies and other sides (in faux-silver serving bowls). Now it is akin to hospital cuisine where they bring carefully metered portions on a plate will all the "fixens." It is similar on Princess, Celebrity and the rest of the Mass market cruise lines.

Hank

[quote name='Carole_T']What is the cost for the coffee card? I am guessing a card for a 7 day cruise would cost less than a card for a 17 day cruise?[/QUOTE]

The card is good for a specific number (15) specialty coffees. Cruise length has nothing to do with price. Edited by Stevesan

[quote name='Hlitner']Not sure we will ever spend our cruise time conducting taste tests but we do agree with the OPs results. I guess I fall into the coffee fanatic crowd and am also a coffee purist preferring to drink my coffee black. The exception is good expresso where I do indulge in a good cappuccino or latte. At home, we have a very good Swiss made expresso machine and only use Lavazza beans (imported from Italy). [/QUOTE]

I've been following this discussion with great interest. We live in Australia where good coffee equals one of the espresso-based drinks. Brewed coffee is rarely seen in cafes and restaurants. DH is a serious coffee drinker and only drinks espresso. I drink tea with breakfast but enjoy a latte or espresso later in the day. We also have an excellent espresso machine at home, Italian made, but only buy beans that are roasted locally. We buy our beans either directly from the coffee roaster or from a retailer that has a high turnover of stock. Unfortunately beans that are imported from Italy, like Lavazza, are often stale by the time you buy them, at least in Australia :(

I'm hoping that the Princess espresso is good, otherwise I'm going to have a very grumpy husband during our 13 day cruise :eek: Edited by OzKiwiJJ

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']I've been following this discussion with great interest. We live in Australia where good coffee equals one of the espresso-based drinks. [COLOR=Red]Brewed coffee is rarely seen in cafes and restaurants.[/COLOR] DH is a serious coffee drinker and only drinks espresso. I drink tea with breakfast but enjoy a latte or espresso later in the day. We also have an excellent espresso machine at home, Italian made, but only buy beans that are roasted locally. We buy our beans either directly from the coffee roaster or from a retailer that has a high turnover of stock. Unfortunately beans that are imported from Italy, like Lavazza, are often stale by the time you buy them, at least in Australia :(

I'm hoping that the Princess espresso is good, otherwise I'm going to have a very grumpy husband during our 13 day cruise :eek:[/quote]

That was something DH had to get used to. I don't think he'd ever had a latte before our visit to Australia. :) Plus I had to keep reminding him that he wasn't going to get American type iced tea in a restaurant (he doesn't like the flavored bottled kind).

It's very interesting how coffee culture changes from country to country. New Zealand is very similar to Australia.

Italy has awesome espresso but many cafes use UHT milk for latte which sometimes has an unpleasant backtaste to my palate (I suspect I won't like Princess latte for that reason).

In France the coffee is different again, different style of roast and a longer pull but I quite like it.

The UK varies, we found some excellent espresso there but also some dreadful stuff.

In Asia I tend to avoid lattes as most of the milk is UHT. In Singapore I do sometimes indulge in a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Ice Blended Mocha. I rarely drink flavoured coffees as they are usually too sweet for me but they seem to suit the Singapore climate.

I haven't been to the US for many years but, sorry, I will not be adopting the brewed coffee culture when I do visit next ;)

Thanks for the info re coffee in Australia and New Zealand. It explains the Nespresso machine in our hotel room and the range of coffees at our B+B.
My local coffee shop roasts it's own beans in the store and makes a really excellent range of brewed and speciality coffees. Think I'm spoilt! Edited by Alaskanb

Thanks for the info. I drink mine black without sugar and had already decided on a coffee card. Suspect it will be the best 30 bucks i'll spend on the ship. Does anyone know if I can get brewed coffee in MDR and Horizon?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='GweninTX']They have changed to real brewed coffee on the Royal and the Regal in the dining rooms and Horizon court and it is wonderful - even better than the IC. I am praying they will roll it out fleet wide ![/QUOTE]

Hi GweninTX, I am on the Regal in august. This is fab news. Just so I understood you correct, there is Fresh brewed coffee available without charge at all times at MDR and HC?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='Moksha22']Thanks for the info. I drink mine black without sugar and had already decided on a coffee card. Suspect it will be the best 30 bucks i'll spend on the ship. Does anyone know if I can get brewed coffee in MDR and Horizon?

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTE]Except on the Royal and the Regal, the answer is no. Not even with the coffee card.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

[quote name='Alaskanb']Thanks for the info re coffee in Australia and New Zealand. It explains the Nespresso machine in our hotel room and the range of coffees at our B+B.
My local coffee shop roasts it's own beans in the store and makes a really excellent range of brewed and speciality coffees. Think I'm spoilt![/QUOTE]

Yes, some hotels are putting Nespresso machines in rooms.

Actually hotel buffet breakfasts are the only places where you'll find brewed coffee in Australia / NZ. I have no idea whether it's any good or not as DH always pays extra for espresso (and don't start me on that concept :mad:).

Lucky you having your local coffee shop roast it's own. :) There are quite a number of places that roast their own beans in Sydney but not any of my local cafes :(

[quote name='IECalCruiser']Except on the Royal and the Regal, the answer is no. Not even with the coffee card.
[/QUOTE]

I've read elsewhere on CC that speciality coffees are available in the MDR if you have a coffee card. Maybe that's only on the Princess ships that operate out of Australia? Can anyone confirm this please? Edited by OzKiwiJJ

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']I've read elsewhere on CC that speciality coffees are available in the MDR if you have a coffee card. Maybe that's only on the Princess ships that operate out of Australia?[/QUOTE]The question was whether you can get fresh brewed coffee in the MDR or Horizon (Court) and that is the question I answered. To answer the question about specialty coffees, yes you can use a punch on your coffee card to get a specialty coffee in the MDR and other dining locations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']I've read elsewhere on CC that speciality coffees are available in the MDR if you have a coffee card.[/quote]

As stated other then the Royal/Regal, no.
If you have good waitstaff they may run to the IC for you. Edited by Colo Cruiser

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']I've read elsewhere on CC that speciality coffees are available in the MDR if you have a coffee card. Maybe that's only on the Princess ships that operate out of Australia? Can anyone confirm this please?[/quote]

It's been true no matter where the ship is based.Punches will be done.

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']As stated other then the Royal/Regal, no.
If you have good waitstaff they may run to the IC for you.[/QUOTE]

There's an espresso machine in Caribbean Princess' aft MDR.
It's unlikely to be the only one. Edited by Stevesan

[quote name='PrincessMelody']I thought the coffee on the Royal in the MDR and buffet was a definite step up from other ships.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way & whether the HC coffee machines truly use ground coffee or maybe it's a better coffee concentrate/machine combo thought coffee was better.

[QUOTE=Hlitner;

Times have changed! When we first cruised on RCCL (about forty years ago) the waiters (in the MDR) would bring your main dishes followed by the assistant waiter who came around with vegies and other sides (in faux-silver serving bowls). Now it is akin to hospital cuisine where they bring carefully metered portions on a plate will all the "fixens." It is similar on Princess, Celebrity and the rest of the Mass market cruise lines.

Hank[/QUOTE]

I remember those good old days. White gloves on the servers.

[quote name='Hlitner']Times have changed! When we first cruised on RCCL (about forty years ago) the waiters (in the MDR) would bring your main dishes followed by the assistant waiter who came around with vegies and other sides (in faux-silver serving bowls). Now it is akin to hospital cuisine where they bring carefully metered portions on a plate will all the "fixens." It is similar on Princess, Celebrity and the rest of the Mass market cruise lines.

Hank[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dorisis']I remember those good old days. White gloves on the servers.[/QUOTE]
My only "white glove" experience was on the wonderful Italian line Sitmar before it merged with Princess. A platter (faux-silver) of tasty lobster tails (as many as desired) & fresh pasta dishes were just some of their great dining experience. :D Unfortunately it took Princess 25 years to bring back Sitmar's sit-down pizzeria but thankfully they've continued the MDR pasta course even though it's not freshly made onboard. Edited by Astro Flyer

We didn't set out to conduct a taste test last month on the Island Princess, but it happened. We got our coffee at the Patisserie, and then decided to go have breakfast in the dining room. Although I love my afternoon latte, I want my coffee in the morning to be black, hot, strong, and lots of it. I actually thought the coffee in the dining room of the Island to be delicious (unlike our last 2 cruises, which were on the Car. P.) and more tasty than the Patisserie fresh brewed. My main problem with the dining room coffee was that I wanted a larger cup so that it stayed hot longer, and I didn't have to wait between refills!