Is Charleston, SC a new port?

Dayenu

Or it's me not knowing where to look for threads :o

Cannot find any posts, searching for Charleston brings up Galveston :p

Here is a link to the East Coast Departures forum. Maybe that will help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

I believe Carnival sails out of Charleston. Maybe their website can help with information as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Is Charleston, SC a new port? There has been a port in Charleston Harbor since the late 17th century. As for currently being a cruise ship port of call:

RCI is calling there on its round-trip Bermuda cruises out of Ft Lauderdale this summer.

HAL calls there on its repositioning cruises between Ft Lauderdale and Canada each spring and fall. In October one Princess ship will as well.

Small-ship lines' Atlantic coastals, and premium lines' world cruises pop in as well.

But other than the Carnival sailings that turn around there, cruises that just stop there mid-cruise cannot have had their previous port call at a foreign port; ICE does not have sufficient manpower or facilities at the port. I was on a Venice-Ft Lauderdale TA that was informed by ICE just before sailing that it would take half the scheduled time in port to clear the ship--the call of course was cancelled.

Edited by fishywood

Years ago we started at Caribbean cruise from Charleston (and returned there). Drove there, stayed overnight in a historic hotel within the view of the ship.

As we strolled the streets of Charleston, I turned to my wife and said: "How does it feel to visit the best port even before the cruise began." So true.

We recently booked a cruise from Quebec to FLL in October, 2015, on the RCL Serenade of the Seas. Not only does the ship overnight in Quebec City but the final stop before FLL is Charleston, where departure is timed for 9 p.m.

Here is a link to the East Coast Departures forum. Maybe that will help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

I believe Carnival sails out of Charleston. Maybe their website can help with information as well.

Well, speaking of geographically challenged... :o THANK YOU! I was looking in the wrong area :rolleyes:

Thank you, all, now I know where to look. Sorry.

Charleston is the home port for Carnival's Fantasy. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive for us so we have cruised on her a lot. We park at the port for two reasons. 1st is we get to our car as walk offs usually before 7am. Then we're home before lunch! 2nd is cost of hotel is close or more than our parking fee and we'd have to wait for their shuttle to fill up before having a drive to our car.

The Charleston town council approved building a new port but some in Charleston are unhappy about that. They sued Carnival because they said the ship's smokestack was too high and lost.

They are not allowed to use the whole ship's PA system when disembarking. It was too loud so you have to wait in the theater to hear when it's your time to get off.

The Glory also stopped there after its New York cruises ended. friends went on HAL once from there too.

Before Carnival came to Charleston, NCL's Majesty was home ported there. Then the ship was sold to Louise Cruises in London & NCL left Charleston. This was a 1200 passenger OLD ship & we loved it!

Edited by Bonnie J.

Some year back, Celebrity Galaxy did roundtrip 10 day cruises out of Charleston in the winter months. We took this twice on Galaxy. :)

NCL used Charleston as a home ports for several years.

Currently, Carnival Fantasy is the only ship using Charleston as a home port.

Sometimes, other ships have port stops in Charleston.

LuLu

That's right, we took the Galaxy out of Charleston, and later from Jacksonville. Memories!

Yes! The one out of JAX was Celebrity Zenith.

Surely miss having X sailing out of Charleston and Jacksonville for those 10 day cruises!

LuLu

Years ago we started at Caribbean cruise from Charleston (and returned there). Drove there, stayed overnight in a historic hotel within the view of the ship.

As we strolled the streets of Charleston, I turned to my wife and said: "How does it feel to visit the best port even before the cruise began." So true.

We recently booked a cruise from Quebec to FLL in October, 2015, on the RCL Serenade of the Seas. Not only does the ship overnight in Quebec City but the final stop before FLL is Charleston, where departure is timed for 9 p.m.

I love Charleston. I lived in Summerville, SC for 2 years when I first married my husband. Then his job moved us to Atlanta. we go and spend a long weekend there every couple of years.

I wish cruises to Bermuda were still offered from there. Charleston is a 5 hour drive for us. by the time we fly into NY, drive to airport, in the air for 2 hours plus, get there an hour early for flight, flight from airport to ship dock etc, etc,etc, it would be just as easy for us to drive there and board.

However, the current cruise offerings from Charleston do not appeal to me one bit. I would just as soon go to FL and go to better ports.

We loved Jestine's Kitchen there. we also love California Dreaming, nope no "Charleston fare" offered there but you do have a lovely view of the bay there.

As far as the historic B & B's you gotta watch those. We were kept awake all night with stomping boots above us. As there was no one on duty form 11 pm to 7 am we could not complain about our fellow hotel guest, but we did the next morning, only to learn our fellow guest was the resident "ghost." I did not like that one bit.

They moved us to another room where nothing could be heard, supposedly not as nice a room as the tub had no Jacuzzi jets which I do not give a flip about. (antique claw foot tub instead) I let them know they should have warned us instead of selling us a room that they charged more for as it had Jacuzzi jets. (the gal told hubby when he booked it it was their "best" room outside of honeymoon suite so he was "sold" lol!) I was told by the clerk people request that room specifically because of the ghost. I let her know I did not care what others wanted, and that I was sure there were just as many of us who preferred a good night's sleep to paranormal activity.