A new ship for Princess in 2017?

caribill

Hi Steve,

I've only seen one recent interior picture of Britannia, and from artist renderings she looks more like you're description of a 'Five Star floating hotel' than does Royal Princess, especially the Britannia's atrium, which looks nice, but too much like a giant lobby.

http://www.cruiseandferry.net/article/News/002053/Richmond-designs-Britannia

:D

That picture made me dizzy. What were they thinking with that carpet?

I'm guessing that we will probably not have to worry about the new build. If Princess goes the way of some of the other cruise lines at least one of the new builds will be going to Asia as soon as the new portion of the Panama Canal is finished. The Asian market likes new and likes to spend money. Then maybe they will return the Sapphire. :)

I'm guessing that we will probably not have to worry about the new build. If Princess goes the way of some of the other cruise lines at least one of the new builds will be going to Asia as soon as the new portion of the Panama Canal is finished. The Asian market likes new and likes to spend money. Then maybe they will return the Sapphire. :)

Hope not.

Ocean View Cabins................desperately needed. In my opinion.

My husband an I sail a lot. less since we have been blessed with a grandchild whom we keep two days a week. By choice, as she is our only grandchild and likely to be the only one.

Now she is four. Old enough to cruise. Last year we took her, and her Mom and Dad with us on the Carnival Liberty. Which was voted fourth most popular big ship in the Cruise Critic poll for 2014......we don't want the baby in a balcony. Period. Not when adults are sleeping and such.

So on Princess, we have an inside room for them on the Regal this year. 166 sq.ft. Last year, they had an ocean view, with a bathtub for the baby, sq. ft was 220 .....the cabin had a king sized bed..two twins made down into one and a sofa that was made up as a bed if needed.

And it cost four hundred dollars less.

We are on Princess.............because of the Itinerary. My daughter has never been to St. Martins. And we love Princess. They do everything right, I think. But no more booking on a ship without Oceanviews.

We did not know they were going to be able to come with us until after final payment.

After reading about the small balconies...............I am glad I chose an obstructed balcony on the Emerald deck which has a large, large balcony.

Renmar's wonderful web site said that area on the Emerald Deck on the Regal and Royal had no significant obstruction. It is over Facets, which is some worrisome, but I can always bring ear plugs.

The ship looks beautiful. The reviews are hot or cold. It will interesting to see what we see. As we love to eat. play Trivia. My husband loves to play roulette and does well at it. I tell him the devil looks after his own. I love the shows. I like playing penny slots. I like bingo. I like sitting and reading a book or people watching. Going to love places.

I suspect we are going to have a wonderful time.

I suspect that is the plan, summer 2017 in Europe, winter in the Caribbean then off she goes to Japan or China.

I've been playing guess the name. My money is on one of the following:

Pacific Princess (if the present ship of that name is sold)

Ocean Princess

Imperial Princess

That is really not a fair comparison Bob. :) People stopped buying Edsels and the car was discontinued. People are still cruising the Royal and Regal. And if we are to believe the CC reviews as gospel, Regal currently has a 100% approval rating by CC members reviews. It is the only ship that does!! :p ;) runforhills-1.gif

Bob,

We are with you 200%...Thanks for being honest.

Funny, I said something similar over on the 'Emerald Princess going to Australia' thread…

Personally, I'd love it if they would send one of the three Royal-class ships from Princess Cruises 'Down Under' in 2017 to operate cruises out of Sydney and Singapore, then send Sapphire Princess back to the North American market to operate 14-night cruises (and not two 7-night cruises combined) in the Caribbean out of FLL to maybe compete with Celebrity Cruises longer itineraries.

That way they could have a Royal-class doing Eastern/Western alternating cruises, one Royal-class doing 10- and 11-night cruises, and the Sapphire Princess doing 14-night cruises.

I'm sure there are ports-of-call in the Caribbean that Princess Cruises could dock at with these three ships out of FLL that are not currently being visited.

Hi Dave

Go to

Pocruises.com/cruise-ships/Britannia/overview

I like the look of crownest

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Overal, a very attractive ship, but nothing that would draw me to her if she sailed from our ports. As I had mentioned regarding the Soltice-class; I can appreciate that her decor is nice, but it's just not my style. And I wish Princess Cruises would ditch The Santuary in favor of a Crows Nest lounge, as I imagine it would do quite well.

;)

Hi Steve,

I've only seen one recent interior picture of Britannia, and from artist renderings she looks more like you're description of a 'Five Star floating hotel' than does Royal Princess, especially the Britannia's atrium, which looks nice, but too much like a giant lobby.

http://www.cruiseandferry.net/article/News/002053/Richmond-designs-Britannia

I have to say that after looking at Britannia's atrium, the Royal/Regal's is much more appealing.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Keeping my fingers crossed.....:):):)

Bob

I have to say that after looking at Britannia's atrium, the Royal/Regal's is much more appealing.....:):):)

Bob

That's where we differ. I think with Royal/Regal, it's all been done before, it's just bigger. Britannia's is a whole different concept with the atrium.

That's where we differ. I think with Royal/Regal, it's all been done before, it's just bigger. Britannia's is a whole different concept with the atrium.

The fit out of Britannia got a Celebrity feel to it. Same with the two new fit outs of PO Australia rebranded HAL ships. Certainly chic and modern.

Edited by icat2000

It's definitely different. Who knows, if I saw it in person, I may actually like it.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

That's sort of why I liked the Century- and Millennium-class ships decor much better than I do the Solstice-class, as Celebrity Cruises seems to have gone a new direction (design concept) and the newer ships just feel cold and sterile (not in a bad way, if that makes sense) whereas the previous classes were more elegant with, what could be considered at the time, a modern and contemporary feel.

But Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises are two different beasts, two different styles and designs. Would it have been even more of a 'disaster' had Royal Princess done a complete break from any sort of Princess Cruises 'feel' in the interior decor of the ship? Royal Princess and Regal Princess still 'feel' like Princess, but had they decorated the ship like Britannia, would the backlash had been even worse? Tradition be dammed and lets go for a brand new, entirely different look?

That's sort of why I liked the Century- and Millennium-class ships decor much better than I do the Solstice-class, as Celebrity Cruises seems to have gone a new direction (design concept) and the newer ships just feel cold and sterile (not in a bad way, if that makes sense) whereas the previous classes were more elegant with, what could be considered at the time, a modern and contemporary feel.

But Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises are two different beasts, two different styles and designs. Would it have been even more of a 'disaster' had Royal Princess done a complete break from any sort of Princess Cruises 'feel' in the interior decor of the ship? Royal Princess and Regal Princess still 'feel' like Princess, but had they decorated the ship like Britannia, would the backlash had been even worse? Tradition be dammed and lets go for a brand new, entirely different look?

That's a really good question. I don't know. People certainly seem to like what they're familiar with. Do you remember if there was much backlash to Solstice when she first came out? As you said, very different to the M class

That's a really good question. I don't know. People certainly seem to like what they're familiar with. Do you remember if there was much backlash to Solstice when she first came out? As you said, very different to the M class

I didn't pay much attention way back then to any running commentary on the Solstice-class other than the 'waste of space' or 'amazing concept' that was The Lawn Club. I sort of lost interest as I didn't care much for the design when compared to the previous classes, and started shopping around for other options when they got rid of the Century-class and deploying the Millennium-class 'overseas'. ;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

I don't need to touch a hot stove either to know it's hot. I know what we like and I know where we spend our time. Most of the balconies will not seat two people with their feet up and then a good percentage that will get soot rained on them. Would surely take an idiot to book that no?

I guess it's true that old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

I think my objection to Royal class ships is the sheer number of people, especially that it disgorges onto shore at every port. The number of cruisers and crew can be a bit overwhelming. I love my fellow cruiser dearly, especially if he's good at trivia and playing on my team, but it can all get a bit crowded if the attractions are limited. Also, I'm not wild about being 60km from Stockholm when the Ocean Princess can nestle up to the Old Town.

I don't need to touch a hot stove either to know it's hot. I know what we like and I know where we spend our time. Most of the balconies will not seat two people with their feet up and then a good percentage that will get soot rained on them. Would surely take an idiot to book that no?

Well, I hope that those of us who like the Royal and Regal are not "idiots"...that's not what you're saying is it:eek:

Well, I hope that those of us who like the Royal and Regal are not "idiots"...that's not what you're saying is it:eek:

no of course that's not what I'm saying. We all like what we like. What I said was it would take an idiot to book a cruise on Royal/Regal with all of our preferences for cruising. They're not good fits.

no of course that's not what I'm saying. We all like what we like. What I said was it would take an idiot to book a cruise on Royal/Regal with all of our preferences for cruising. They're not good fits.

So, you're saying it's not a good fit for you? For some of us it is a good fit...don't ya just love all the different choices:)

As to the age.....would you rather see them sell off an older ship and build new....(costing more) or do something on the order of what Carnival did to Destiny to make Sunshine?....I seems that alot of the fans of Princess don't seem to want the Megaships .....so.....any opinions?

They will have to keep up, their ships are not getting any younger.