Mediterranean AGAIN or Baltic?!!

louboutin10

Sorry if this is not in the right section.

My husband (late 30s) and I (late 20s) want to do another European vacation before starting a family. We did the 12 day med cruise last year on the Norwegian spirit and had an amazing time. We spent a few days in Barcelona before the cruise and we fell in love with every country and city we explored... we especially loved Italy.

This year in September we want to do another 2-3 week vacation. At first I was thinking fly to Paris for a few days, take the train to London for a few days then do a baltic cruise from there to explore some new places. However, it makes me so sad to be so close to Italy or the Greek islands without going there. Which led me to start thinking about visiting Paris and doing a land tour of Italy for a week or two.

So now I'm torn. Would you recommend seeing something new or going back somewhere I know I will love? I just love the culture and the atmosphere in the med. Will I get that in the baltic region? How about the food? The people? Another cruise or travel the country on our own this time? So many choices!

For the record, we consider ourselves foodies. We appreciate art and history but don't like to spend a lot of time in museums, churches, etc. We basically like to explore the cities and get a feel for the culture and the way of life there. Any advice is appreciated!

You are both young with many years to travel, even after you have a family. :)

Fly to Paris and spend a few days in the Rue Cler, the heart of Paris.

Then fly to wherever you choose in Italy and spend 2 or 3 days each in Florence and Venice.

My suggestion is to go now to where you already know you love. Florence and Venice are wonderful, very walkable cities. You don't even have to go in a museum if you don't want to, the whole of the cities are a museum with beauty everywhere.

This still leaves you with time for Greece, so cruise out of Venice.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do?pagename=homepage_redesign_nobooking_us&actionType=&cruiseType=CO&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&eventSource=ship&dest=EUROP&date=201409&port=VCE&ship=SP

Sorry if this is not in the right section.

My husband (late 30s) and I (late 20s) want to do another European vacation before starting a family. We did the 12 day med cruise last year on the Norwegian spirit and had an amazing time. We spent a few days in Barcelona before the cruise and we fell in love with every country and city we explored... we especially loved Italy.

This year in September we want to do another 2-3 week vacation. At first I was thinking fly to Paris for a few days, take the train to London for a few days then do a baltic cruise from there to explore some new places. However, it makes me so sad to be so close to Italy or the Greek islands without going there. Which led me to start thinking about visiting Paris and doing a land tour of Italy for a week or two.

So now I'm torn. Would you recommend seeing something new or going back somewhere I know I will love? I just love the culture and the atmosphere in the med. Will I get that in the baltic region? How about the food? The people? Another cruise or travel the country on our own this time? So many choices!

For the record, we consider ourselves foodies. We appreciate art and history but don't like to spend a lot of time in museums, churches, etc. We basically like to explore the cities and get a feel for the culture and the way of life there. Any advice is appreciated!

I hear you. We spent a week pre-cruise in Italy 2 years ago, thinking it would be our only trip there, and fell in love with the country. Planning this year's land tour of Europe, we ended up adding a couple of days in Venice and 4 days in Tuscany to our itinerary. Had to give up Budapest, but couldn't face not going back to Italy and doing what I promised myself I would do on our next trip - rent a vacation rental in the country.

BTW, it's killing me that we're not making it to the UK this trip - because, while I have a newfound love of Italy (with a side crush on Rhodes :D), my first and greatest European love remains the British Isles.

Sometimes, you have to try on different vacations before you find one that feels right. That Italy/Med cruise in 2012 was supposed to be a trans-Atlantic cruise, but we found an incredible deal on the perfect Med cruise, so that's what we booked.

One thing I must urge you to do, however: when travelling between countries (Paris-Venice or Paris-London or whatever you decide to do), take the train. It is not merely transportation, but becomes an integral part of the trip.

The Mediterranean is an incrediable draw... we did our first cruise from Venice to London, in l989... actually got off in LaHarve, France before we got to London and spent a week in Paris. Had such a great time, we keep going back, we have cruised both eastern and western Mediterranean... many times, I have lost count. Our next trip is in October out of Rome.

That being said, a Baltic cruise is also amazing, we did this too once. Enjoy every port, most are comfortable walking ports, with the except of St. Petersburg. We prefer warmer climates, so that is the only reason we only went once.

You are so young, you could do either. Toss a coin, let fate decide. You can't go wrong.

If you enjoyed the Mediterranean I would stick with that for now. There is so much of the Mediterranean to see for the very first time and you could spend months or even years there and not see it all so you can pick out a wide range of cruises there and see new places and it is also fine to revisit some places as well.

You have plenty of time to see the Baltics.

Keith

Hi,

have been so many times in Italy and still love it. But I wouldn't skip the Baltics. It's different, but also a great experience.

In Italy you can spend weeks or even month, all areas are a little bit different, but all are great. And you will find so many fantastic cities.

If you fell in love with Italy, I would recommend to rent a car and drive around there and experience some different places within Italy.

Of cause you can't see everything. So you should concentrate on Italy before your Baltic cruise, don't try to visit too many countries and cities - too stressfull and too many impressions.

Just my 2c

Gosh, where to begin. First, you are young so go back to the Med. Fly to Paris-greatest city in the world and enjoy it. Ditto on staying in the Rue Cler area. Stayed there many times and it is adorable and easy to get buses and metro. Take the train from Paris to southern France-Nice area. Then take the train from there over to Italy. You will travel along the beautiful coast. Visit Bolzano, Florence, and other areas in the north of Italy-the lake area is magnificent and in the Alps. End in either Venice or Rome if you haven't been to either. The Baltic is wonderful to do on a cruise; however it isn't exactly for foodies and is great for museums, etc. which you aren't as interested in. While you are young do the trains, or drive the interior of Europe and save the cruises for when you are too tired to move your luggage around. Hubby and I spent 20 years on trains or in an auto and switched to cruising only a couple of years ago. It will give you a chance to see the interior of the continent as well as the coastal areas. Also, take your children when you have them. We did and they were easy and had a blast. Europeans (especially French and Scandinavians) are so nice to children.

I loved our Baltic Cruise.

And, I loved our Eastern Med cruise. We stayed in Rome a few days before the cruise.

A few years ago we did a Rhine River cruise, and, of course, I loved it too.

So, here's another suggestion ... take a river cruise in France. Spend a few days in Paris then cruise on the Rhone or Seine. Each day you stop in a town, disembark and you can explore on your own (or take the organized excursions).

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be great.

I suggest the Baltic, especially since you enjoyed the Med.

Mebbe it's me, but attempting to repeat a wonderful experience never seems to work as well. :rolleyes:

Keep those memories, at least for a few years, & go find pastures new.

The Baltic has a range of peoples & cultures, and cruising is the only way to see so much so easily. :)

Foodies?

Hmm - northern Europe isn't famed for its food. You'll get to try a range of different things, but whether you'll be hooked on any is a different matter.

Mebbe another reason why the Baltic is best by cruise ship. ;)

JB :)

Why don't you fly into a city that you want to explore in the Mediterranean and then take a cheap flight to Copenhagen and get on a transatlantic cruise to come home to at least see a little of the Baltics? Flying within Europe is relatively cheap and opens up lots of options.

I suggest the Baltic, especially since you enjoyed the Med.

Mebbe it's me, but attempting to repeat a wonderful experience never seems to work as well. :rolleyes:

Keep those memories, at least for a few years, & go find pastures new.

The Baltic has a range of peoples & cultures, and cruising is the only way to see so much so easily. :)

Foodies?

Hmm - northern Europe isn't famed for its food. You'll get to try a range of different things, but whether you'll be hooked on any is a different matter.

Mebbe another reason why the Baltic is best by cruise ship. ;)

JB :)

Actually, Copenhagen has quite a bustling foodie scene right now. I'd love to go again and try some of the "new Nordic" cuisine places that have opened recently.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewerner/2013/09/12/where-you-should-eat-in-copenhagen-now-apart-from-noma/

The other Baltic cities may not offer quite such a refined food experience, but there is definitely a bustling feeling in most of the cities, which I enjoyed a lot.....that plus the fact that (unlike the Med), the sights you want to see are generally in close proximity to the port.

Of course, I love the Med more than anywhere and visit Italy every chance I get. But it's worth seeing other things as well.

To the OP -- You have a tough choice. Enjoy exploring the possibilities!

The Med draws us. We like the Baltic ports but there is something about the Med. For us it is Italy, Greece, and Turkey. Back there again this fall for a land trip-no specific itinerary other than starting in Malta for a week.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I'm starting to lean towards exploring Italy by land after a stop in Paris. Will see if I can squeeze in the short Greek island cruise too. As some of you said, cruising is a nice option for the years ahead and will also be nice when we have kids, as it is more convenient. So maybe we can save the baltic for the near future. I also like the idea of a transatlantic cruise to bring us back home... will explore that option as well and see what works best. Thanks again! If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know! :)

Whats all this talk about the Baltic not being good for foodies? It may not have the fame of Italian/Greek fare but there are certainly delicious treats.

Fresh Reindeer rolls and alternatively brewed beer (Sahti) in Helsinki, famous Russian pies and Stroganoff in St Petersburg followed by Vodka tasting, Medievil crafted beers and game platters in Talliin....not to mention Copenhagen's modern restaurant scene (Think Heston).

Er yeah I like my drinks as well :)

As someone who spent her childhood in the Med and adores and going on Baltic cruise last year I would find it hard to choose. Saying that though I would probably choose the one I had not done. We did the Baltics so were going to do the Med this year until a Panama Canal cruise got in the way :D.

Have you thought about ever doing a Black sea cruise? (maybe not this year for obvious reasons) but you would get some 'Baltic' style with the Ukraine and Sochi in Russia and some of the warmer 'Med style' delights such as Turkey and Greece thrown in. Hubby and I are your age and have wondered about this itinerary.

I can't remember which lines do those though...

Edited by Velvetwater

Have you thought about ever doing a Black sea cruise? (maybe not this year for obvious reasons) but you would get some 'Baltic' style with the Ukraine and Sochi in Russia and some of the warmer 'Med style' delights such as Turkey and Greece thrown in. Hubby and I are your age and have wondered about this itinerary.

I can't remember which lines do those though...

I think there is a limit on the size of ships that can do the Black Sea itineraries. I was looking to do one this year (but by a stroke of good luck I decided to hold off -- well before all the drama in Ukraine started).

I know Princess, Celebrity, Azamara and HAL offer it a few times annually but no solid rotation. Specialty lines (Silversea, Crystal, Swan Hellenic, Voyages to Antiquity) also do them a couple of times a year maybe.