Veendam Canada/NE review - June 7th

sherilyn70

All the Vista and Signature ships have a separate elevator that takes wheelchairs, scooters, and people who can't negotiate stairs down to the tender dock level.

None of the S- and R-class ships have that feature, so negotiating the staircase on the outside of the ship is the only way down on those ships.

The Prinsendam has a different set-up altogether, with a shorter staircase inside the ship.

I know -- I found that out on the Maasdam in 2012 -- had to stay on the ship in tender ports as there were not enough of us that needed super help.

In 2010 when we were on the Ryndam -- I was able to walk stairs at that time -- there were several people who needed extra assistance with their wheelchairs and scooters. They moved one of the tenders to the Lower Promenade Deck -- got everyone on the tender and then lowered it down to the water and moved it to the regular tender area. I have no idea what they did or how they helped the people once the tender got to shore.

Back then I didn't have the problems that I now have or I would have paid more attention.

Thank you for the detailed review. I've been looking at the Canada/New England itinerary so this was helpful.

About soda in the morning... wasn't there a mini-bar in the suite? HAL has kept sodas in our non-suite rooms, even if there is no frig, but I suppose one can ask for ice from room service. Sorry it was a difficulty for you, one that would seem simple enough to fix. Disappointing.

Thank you for the detailed review. I've been looking at the Canada/New England itinerary so this was helpful.

About soda in the morning... wasn't there a mini-bar in the suite? HAL has kept sodas in our non-suite rooms, even if there is no frig, but I suppose one can ask for ice from room service. Sorry it was a difficulty for you, one that would seem simple enough to fix. Disappointing.

First problem is there was no ginger ale in the mini bar. There was only one coke and it wasn't restocked during the week. We also couldn't use the soda card for that purchase (which offers $50 worth of soda for $25) with the mini bar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh, I just remembered something I should have mentioned in the review. The bottle of sparkling wine in our suite was allowed to be traded for 6 cans of soda (which we did take advantage of). That resolved part of our problem but not completely.

Thanks very much for taking the time to review your cruise, and also for the pictures.

If you are on TripAdvisor, you should write a review of your unfortunate experience at the restaurant in Quebec City.

Thanks very much for taking the time to review your cruise, and also for the pictures.

If you are on TripAdvisor, you should write a review of your unfortunate experience at the restaurant in Quebec City.

Thanks, I do plan on doing that. I always posted the review of them to their online reservation company (basically the equivalent of Open Table here in the US)

All the Vista and Signature ships have a separate elevator that takes wheelchairs, scooters, and people who can't negotiate stairs down to the tender dock level.

None of the S- and R-class ships have that feature, so negotiating the staircase on the outside of the ship is the only way down on those ships.

The Prinsendam has a different set-up altogether, with a shorter staircase inside the ship.

Here is a direct copy from the email that I was sent on 6/3 from HAL Access and Compliance.

At ports of call, you will embark and disembark the ship either by using a gangway or, in ports such as Bar Harbour where the ship anchors in the harbor, by tender. Your ability to use a wheelchair on gangways will depend on the type of gangway (which is generally provided by the port itself), the construction of the pier and on the tides. You should be able to use the gangways in most (but possibly not all) cases.

As to tenders, Holland America Line is in the process of retrofitting it’s vessels with a tender-lift system that will ultimately enable guests to roll directly on and off tenders while remaining in their wheelchairs; not all vessels are complete at this time. We are happy to inform you that the Veendam does have this equipment available.

Edited by sherilyn70

First problem is there was no ginger ale in the mini bar. There was only one coke and it wasn't restocked during the week. We also couldn't use the soda card for that purchase (which offers $50 worth of soda for $25) with the mini bar.

Every port you were in sells ginger ale. You could have picked up some cans while ashore.

Here is a direct copy from the email that I was sent on 6/3 from HAL Access and Compliance.

No one is disputing that your letter told you there would be an elevator to the tender dock. Clearly, the letter is incorrect. It's a pity that you didn't ask on CC to confirm what the letter said before you left; there would have been less disappointment on your part.

Thanks for the detailed review, which seems to mesh with our experience a few weeks earlier. The food issue is a deal-breaker for us, so our next cruise will be on Oceania. At the same time, if food isn't especially important to you, HAL still does okay.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by MrOZ

Every port you were in sells ginger ale. You could have picked up some cans while ashore.

While that may be true, it didn't help when I needed it unexpectedly. I did not expect to need it at 6am on Monday morning. I had ginger chews with me but they were not working with my stomach that morning, I had also brought a ginger beverage with us but it turned out to be to hot/spicy for my stomach to handle. We had trouble finding real ginger ale (not the artificially flavored kind) in convenience stores.

No one is disputing that your letter told you there would be an elevator to the tender dock. Clearly, the letter is incorrect. It's a pity that you didn't ask on CC to confirm what the letter said before you left; there would have been less disappointment on your part.

Well with our original plan it wasn't going to be an issue one way or the other, I had planned on using a walker since we were supposed to be going on a whale watching excursion. The problem didn't become an issue until they canceled the tour after 7pm the night before it was to occur and we were forced to change our plans on shore.

While that may be true, it didn't help when I needed it unexpectedly. I did not expect to need it at 6am on Monday morning. I had ginger chews with me but they were not working with my stomach that morning, I had also brought a ginger beverage with us but it turned out to be to hot/spicy for my stomach to handle. We had trouble finding real ginger ale (not the artificially flavored kind) in convenience stores.

Sorry you had such issues.

I wonder if there was a fridge in your suite, with some 7-up. I often find that works for me, in the absence of ginger ale, when I have an upset stomach.

Edited to add.... Oops, sorry - just saw your post above which said only a coke in the fridge.

Edited by Marco's Tia

The real pity here is that as a passenger, it would appear that I cannot trust the accuracy of information that I receive from HAL. There should be no need for any passenger to verify the accuracy of correspondence from HAL.

I wonder if there was a fridge in your suite' date=' with some 7-up. I often find that works for me, in the absence of ginger ale, when I have an upset stomach.

Edited to add.... Oops, sorry - just saw your post above which said only a coke in the fridge.[/quote']

I meant only one of each type of soda... not just one can of coke only. :) I can't recall if there was a sprite in there, but it's doesn't work the same with my cancer med induced stomach aches. I drink both sprite and ginger ale at the hospital and the ginger ale is the only thing that really calms my stomach down. I tried to be prepared for things like this but I honestly didn't expect issues getting a soda in the morning since all of my previous cruises (with other lines) have not had this problem. The good news is they carry Seagram's brand and that is what works for me the very best.

The real pity here is that as a passenger, it would appear that I cannot trust the accuracy of information that I receive from HAL. There should be no need for any passenger to verify the accuracy of correspondence from HAL.

I agree, especially since they emailed this information to me in multiple documents and it came directly from the special needs group. People that aren't on cruise critic are simply screwed if we should be expected to have to ask fellow passengers how it really works and if we're being told the truth.

Edited by sherilyn70

Thanks for your review! Glad to see you enjoyed the Veendam. We've been on her 3 times. Interesting that you also saw Hilby. He's a regular at our county fair in New York every August. He's very funny and talented. I knew he occasionally does HAL ships (as well as others).

Sherylin70, Thanks so much for your detailed review. We're sailing June 28, and my husband will be traveling with his "Luggie" folding travel scooter. What kind did you use, and did you experience any difficulties getting around the ship via scooter?

:)

Sherylin70, thanks for the review. I am sorry that there were issues, and I would have trusted documentation provided by HAL as well. I've seen too many posts where people were chastised for providing misinformation on CC, or where people were told two contact HAL, to even begin to think that CC is the definitive resource.

I am looking forward to participating in the Cult of the Creme Brulee and I will have a taste in your honour.☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wish I had known, I had ginger capsules and would have gladly shared. Even at 6am :-)

Sherylin70, Thanks so much for your detailed review. We're sailing June 28, and my husband will be traveling with his "Luggie" folding travel scooter. What kind did you use, and did you experience any difficulties getting around the ship via scooter?

:)

I own a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler (about 95 pounds when all put together). We had no problems with it all with me getting around the ship or any of the ports. In fact I got many compliments on how well I got around on it since it is my own personal scooter and I'm familiar very with it.

Thanks for your detailed review, and sharing your photos.

Have you mentioned the mobility problems you encountered on the post cruise survey?

Yes, I have mentioned them in my survey. I brought up every point of issues addressed here to make sure they were aware of them.

Hi Sheri,

It was great to meet you and John and we really enjoyed our breakfasts together.

As for the cruise, this is one of our favorites - this was our fifth time in Canada/New England. We did b2b from Boston. The ports are great and we have done enough HAL tours that we have found that it is a better deal to go out on our own.

We have not been in the main dining room for the last four cruises. At home, we like our bigger meal midday, so we don't want all that food at night. Sometimes it is difficult to find a cookie after 8:00 PM and one can't find yogurt after breakfast (I like yogurt as a mid afternoon snack). It is a bother, but not a deal breaker.

We had fantastic weather all two weeks until the last day in Bar Harbor when it was overcast and windy.

Terry