Beware

kruisey

I am actually wait listed directly with Princess for a cruise which is sold out.

Out of curiosity I viewed a large on line cruise booking agency for this same cruise.

Was offered an ocean view cabin at the same price am wait listed for an inside with Princess available to book immediately.

Phoned Princess and Customer Service they informed me that the information was incorrect that even via a TA all places were sold.Long time CC members with Princess also verified this.

Princess told me to beware of offers like this that once one had signed up all kinds of conditions which are hidden in their contract would reveal.

Gave the name of this agency to Princess and they said if they get several complaints they would contact that group.

Let me add I am aware that there are many ethical TA's on the web out there which treat their clients in a good ethical way:)

Edited by kruisey

While I know that there are loads of questionable TA's out there at the same time there are many legit ones who can beat Princess's prices without question. Princess will tell you anything to have you book with them directly & keep the profits for themselves. Once you find a decent TA- stick with them.

Wow, thanks for the warning. I wonder why they wouldn't contact the agency based on your inquiry alone?

I did give Princess the web site address so they may have taken a look and contacted them.

While I know that there are loads of questionable TA's out there at the same time there are many legit ones who can beat Princess's prices without question. Princess will tell you anything to have you book with them directly & keep the profits for themselves. Once you find a decent TA- stick with them.

Have been with Princess for many years .This is a special Princess Cruise with many on the wait list who I am certain if they had any alternative options would have jumped at it.

Princess will tell you anything to have you book with them directly & keep the profits for themselves.

Not true.

Princess depends on Travel Agents for the majority of their bookings.

The cost of maintaining in-house personnel to make and service bookings is not cheap.

I suspect they save money with each booking a TA makes.

We cannot know the specific facts on the cruise referred to by the OP. But large cruise agencies, and travel agent consortiums, regularly block-out group space on many cruises. When this is done, the specific cabins that are reserved for this agency or consortium is pulled out of the cruise line's inventory. So if you deal directly with Princess, the reservation clerks (and that is what they are) will not see these cabins as available. At some point, the agency will have to turn back any unsold cabins (this can happen quite late in the booking process).

I should also mention that we have never booked a cruise directly with Princess, even though we are long time Elites. We can always save substantial money by booking through various cruise agencies. Several years ago we called Princess and asked if they would match a deal offered by a large cruise agency and Princess told us that they do not want to compete with travel agencies. They refused to match the deal and politely suggested we go ahead and book with the cruise agency (which we did).

Hank

It's also possible the TA outright purchased the block from Princess. Princess would show it as sold.

Think it would have been suggested to me if it had been known that agencies still have cabins left for this cruise.

Why such a large wait list at Princess? Surely others would have been curious like I was. Plus the fact the an Ocean View for the same price as an inside.Surely even with a TA discount that is far too much.Plus this was solo in Canadian dollars on a USA web site.?

Too good to be factual that is why I contacted Princess.

There is an old saying 'You can always find one rotten egg in a large egg crate'

Those of you that have a a TA with a wonderful personal service relationship I envy you.

Was offered an ocean view cabin at the same price am wait listed for an inside with Princess available to book immediately.

So, why didn't you book it? Wouldn't that have been more sensible

than having people speculate on whether the cabin was available,

or not?

So, why didn't you book it? Wouldn't that have been more sensible

than having people speculate on whether the cabin was available,

or not?

At my age I never throw caution to the wind Pablo.:)

It's also possible the TA outright purchased the block from Princess. Princess would show it as sold.

This does happen. The TA working with an alumni or other large group will purchase a large block of cabins when they aren't totally sure of how many will be taking the cruise.

LuLu

You will be booked on it for late next year;)

Just you? I know the cruise :) and I'm booked, and you can sleep in my balcony if they don't find you a cabin. :) With a cruise that far out, there will certainly be cancellations. But like you, I don't get the deal with the unsold cabins and the the on line TA.

Kruisey, are you are talking about the 50th Anniv cruise.

My friend, a travel agent, had group space. She still had a few outside cabins available when no one else had any. One of my friends was waitlisted. I had her call my friend, who was able to get her space.

So it definetely is a possibility that whoever you contacted also had space.

Princess is well aware that some agencies have group space.Don't know who you spoke with at Princess. So if someone says they still have space and you don't have to waitlist, maybe believe them. You will be able to see if it is legit.

once you are booked and go on your cruise personalizer.If it doesn't show up there, then time to cancel your deposit.

One more thing. From the people I know who booked this cruise, me included, no one is cancelling. It is a very small ship with not that big capacity. Most of us booked the first day it was released.

I wouldn't want to be waitlisted on this one, chances are remote that there will be big cancellations.

Now maybe Kruisey is talking about another cruise, but I doubt it.

If its that cruise then im booked on it. Booked it at the start of June and could only get an ocean view cabin and then there wasnt much choice. I don't think there will be many cancellations on this cruise.

Which cruise? It seems to me that if you book with the agency, you'll get your confirmation number right away and the cruise should show up on the Princess website when you're signed in and you'll be able to enter your details in the Cruise Personalizer.

Edited by geoherb