How often does a Disney ship go into dry dock ?

serene56

Take the dream. How often in one year dies the ship get serviced

A cruise ship is required to do inspections twice within a five year period. So, roughly every couple of years.

During the dry dock for inspections, they do some cosmetic upgrades, usually. But that's not required.

Dream and fantasy are new and so haven't had a dry dock yet and do not have any planned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have inside information as to what DCL has planned? Or are you saying that you can't find any evidence of one on the schedule?

My understanding is that a new ship does not have a mandatory dry dock until it has been in service for 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the plans are already in place for the Dream, but as it will not be till after 2015, it doesn't appear on any schedule released by Disney.

Do you have inside information as to what DCL has planned? Or are you saying that you can't find any evidence of one on the schedule?

My understanding is that a new ship does not have a mandatory dry dock until it has been in service for 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the plans are already in place for the Dream' date=' but as it will not be till after 2015, it doesn't appear on any schedule released by Disney.[/quote']

The Dream has a gap in her schedule in late September 2015-early October 2015, rumor is that she'll be in dry dock then. Probably just routine inspections and touch up work. She sails a 4 night on 9/21/14 and then the next scheduled cruise is a 3 night on 10/16/2014.

Edited by DahliaRW

The Dream has a gap in her schedule in late September 2015-early October 2015, rumor is that she'll be in dry dock then. Probably just routine inspections and touch up work. She sails a 4 night on 9/21/14 and then the next scheduled cruise is a 3 night on 10/16/2014.

Agree that it's probably a scheduled dry dock. It's pretty far out--although not impossible--for a full ship charter to be in the books.

Agree that it's probably a scheduled dry dock. It's pretty far out--although not impossible--for a full ship charter to be in the books.

Nearly 3 weeks of chartered trips doesn't make sense though, especially for the Dream with her shorter sailings. If it was a week off, then yes.

Edited by DahliaRW

Nearly 3 weeks of chartered trips doesn't make sense though, especially for the Dream with her shorter sailings. If it was a week off, then yes.

Agree. It's possible, but highly doubtful.

And since the Dream first went into water (not inaugural sailing, but came out of the shipyard into water) for the fist time in October 2010, the time frame fits for it's first required dry dock when it's 5 years old.

Edited by DahliaRW

I have a "friend" who never cruised and is using an agent who is really pushing the Disney Dream-- stating that disney takes their ships out of the water for service then any other cruiselines.

I am wondering how accurate that statement is for her.

I never cruised Disney so I really dont know the answer

I have a "friend" who never cruised and is using an agent who is really pushing the Disney Dream-- stating that disney takes their ships out of the water for service then any other cruiselines.

I am wondering how accurate that statement is for her.

I never cruised Disney so I really dont know the answer

Disney ships are drydocked on the mandatory schedule. I'm sure that any other ship docking in the US has to follow the same schedule. Thus, I don't think this is an accurate statement.

HOWEVER, it may well be that DCL does more work on the passenger areas of the ship than some other lines. There are several films available of the various Magic dry docks. Routinely (2 week dry dock) sees carpet and sometimes upholstery changed, very intensive cleaning, occasional stateroom updates, etc.

I am aware of some other lines doing major upgrades (similar to what the Magic had in 2013), but I'm not sure how much they do every 2-3 years.

And as to the person pushing the Dream.....if you want the high tech, new class of ship, the Fantasy has some nice improvements over the Dream.

Dream and fantasy are new and so haven't had a dry dock yet and do not have any planned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you not mean, none you know of?

Obviously the Dream and Fantasy WILL have a dry dock before 5 years of being floated/last inspected by the shipyard before delivery?

ex techie

Disney ships are drydocked on the mandatory schedule. I'm sure that any other ship docking in the US has to follow the same schedule. Thus' date=' I don't think this is an accurate statement.

HOWEVER, it may well be that DCL does more work on the passenger areas of the ship than some other lines. There are several films available of the various Magic dry docks. Routinely (2 week dry dock) sees carpet and sometimes upholstery changed, very intensive cleaning, occasional stateroom updates, etc.

I am aware of some other lines doing major upgrades (similar to what the Magic had in 2013), but I'm not sure how much they do every 2-3 years.

And as to the person pushing the Dream.....if you want the high tech, new class of ship, the Fantasy has some nice improvements over the Dream.[/quote']

Ships with high passenger counts and lots of kids need more regular deep cleans and refits than smaller ships that carry fewer passengers and no kids. Think about how hard it was to keep your home looking nice all the time when your kids were young. Almost impossible. As they grew up and then slowly left the house, it became easier and easier and you had to do a lot less deep cleaning and refurbishment.

Fortunately Disney realizes the need to keep the ship in top condition and takes the steps to do so more than most of the other lines that carry a similar passenger make up. :)

Heresbthe short English version regarding drydocks. All ships must undergo a drydock inspection 2x in a 5 year period not to exceed 3 years. A ship under the age of 15( I forget whatvyeat the new rule took effect) can forgo 1 drydock in lieu of an in water inspection.(there's a few specific items that have to be met in order for this to occur) The Dream and Fantasy both fit the requirement. The drydock period has nothing to do with most upgrades to a ship unless they are required by IMO SOLAS or a handful of other alphabet soup organizations. Its just a convenient time to upgrade cabins paint the ship and deep clean where its not normally possible. Every ship afloat has to follow this schedule. New ships such as the NCL Breakaway and Getaway also fall under this rule. How much gets done besides the mandatory inspections is line specific and also what shape the ships are in. In some cases a ship is lengthened and others paint clean and new sheets and beds. Using Carnival as an example with its Funship 2.0 upgrades a ship may take a number and get a routine drydock until there number is up for the full upgrade.

Edited by truck1

I would guess that ships follow a similar maint routine like the commercial airlines. Airlines follow strict maintenance regs regarding engine maint; airframe worthiness, electronics and wiring; the engines have inspections all the time; but for taking a large jet out of service; that happens maybe once in a 18 month period. The other inspections can be done in a day.

Every ship afloat has to follow this schedule.

good post as long as you correct to every PASSENGER ship . . .

No, I'm wrong

any PASSENGER ship that wants to board passengers in a US port, yes.

These 'numbers' are IMO recommendations and for the most part the US regulations simply 'codify' the IMO regulations. The US can not force rules on a ship that flies the flag of another country. But the US CAN deny the ship's loading paying passengers in a US port unless they comply with US rules . . .

Similar rules exist for loading cargo in US ports

Does a not flagged in the US ship, that never visits a US port, comply?

Wellllll .... while not pointing any fingers I know of a 'high dollar' small ship cruise line that does NOT visit ANY US ports (anymore)

one story of WHY is that the ships do not comply with certain IMO rules aka US Regulations and they have decided loss of US ports costs less than needed ship "changes"

If you board a cruise ship, out of the US that never visits the US ... when was the last dry dock'?

Do you care?

Dry dock is not for changing carpets, painting balconies or refinishing wood railing. All of these things can be done with the ship tied to a pier . . . DRY DOCK is done to inspect the part of the ship that is normally underwater. There are MANY openings down there that you do not see. The ship must take in sea water to cool the engines, distill to drinking water and run the air conditioning .... and where the rudder posts and the propeller shafts pass thru the hull there are 'seals'; electrolysis eats away at hull thickness ... to check for damage on these areas requires getting the hull out of the water ... cleaning off all marine growth and probing. While the ship is out of the water for this, it is a GREAT time to repaint the bottom. (Cleaning growth off the bottom of the ship can impact fuel consumption by 5% or more)

WHILE the ship is out of the water and not EARNING, it is the optimum time to do other work that could not easily be done with pass' aboard .... MANY times a dry dock period is extended by a 'dockside period' ... every day in a dry dock costs BIG $ so the company wants to get the ship out of the dd FAST. But the company may decide to continue the work on other stuff, and that can be done DOCKSIDE . . . pier space is cheap in comparison.

Capt. BJ, Ive honestly never seen it worded as loading passengers in a US port. Ill take your word for it. The typos were from trying to type on my phone at work one day.

Ive noticed that several countries have taken the IMO requirements, and changed the title to something else, but in the end the actual requirements are almost verbatim if not copied exactly. I can think of a few other areas that do similar things.

Take the dream. How often in one year dies the ship get serviced

In my opinion....

365 days a year, and she just absolutely loves it!

Every single day, time after time after time ;)

ex techie ;)

Edited by Ex techie

The bottom line:

All vessels are required to follow the IMO and Solas and other international regulations for their individual type/class and size.....ALL VESSELS.

There is exceptions occasionally given to extend time and rule requirement for special conditions and circumstances for a individual vessel.

They must comply to these rules and regulations to be approved by the Class and other insurance groups like P and I.

Individual countries may have additional rules they require, which are only for when sailing in their waters and entering their ports.

AKK

The bottom line:

All vessels are required to follow the IMO and Solas and other international regulations for their individual type/class and size.....ALL VESSELS.

There is exceptions occasionally given to extend time and rule requirement for special conditions and circumstances for a individual vessel.

They must comply to these rules and regulations to be approved by the Class and other insurance groups like P and I.

Individual countries may have additional rules they require' date=' which are only for when sailing in their waters and entering their ports.

AKK[/quote']

I was waiting for your response. :)

The bottom line:

Individual countries may have additional rules they require' date=' which are only for when sailing in their waters and entering their ports.

AKK[/quote']

Hey Skipper,

Just out of curiosity,

What if a ship of a country that has no requirements, was to sail to another country that equally had no requirements?

Do they exist, or does every country (with a connection to the sea) have some sort of maritime law?

And would the rule of law of the other countries still apply?

ex techie

Hey Skipper,

Just out of curiosity,

What if a ship of a country that has no requirements, was to sail to another country that equally had no requirements?

Do they exist, or does every country (with a connection to the sea) have some sort of maritime law?

And would the rule of law of the other countries still apply?

ex techie

Hey there Buddy,

The individual countries is not the ruling power here.....its the IMO, Solas, etc.

If the vessel doesn't meet international requirements, they cannot get insurance, EI PandI, etc. and many countries will plainly consider the vessel unsafe and refuse permission for her to enter their waters and ports.

Cargo underwriters would not cover cargo shipped on those vessels.

AKK

Bottom line........You have to play by the rules!

NO NO NO NO

Enforced by??????? there are MANY recommendations IGNORED by countries with no 'enforcement' [did I say USCG ... no I did not say USCG]

sorry ... I was a high seas cop ... with no enforcement authority over IMO or SOLAS RECOMMENDATIONS

unless the vessel wants to load pass' or cargo in the US

Edited by Capt_BJ

NO NO NO NO

Enforced by??????? there are MANY recommendations IGNORED by countries with no 'enforcement' [did I say USCG ... no I did not say USCG]

sorry ... I was a high seas cop ... with no enforcement authority over IMO or SOLAS RECOMMENDATIONS

unless the vessel wants to load pass' or cargo in the US

Sorry Capt......enforcement by the classification club and at least in the states, the USCG will not permit any vessel that is not approved by class to sail a US port..'...This I know for a fact and have done many surveys with Class and others to determine if a vessel is indeed *in Class*.

I have also done *husbandtre* surveys for various clubs to determine the same thing. If the vessel is not in compliance, the Master is required to call his class to get a class surveyor to confirm if the vessel is in compliance or if she will be permitted by class to sail with exemption. If anything is not correct the USCG by law has to be advised.The USCG will, 99.9% of the time go along with class findings.

At sea I will bow to your experience.........no you can't arrest a ship on the open seas, but you have safety authority and US laws in US waters. (Us laws are very close to IMO and Solas and other international rules)

My point was that any vessel that is not in full compliance of all IMO, solas and other international rules(not to mention US laws) will not have any P and I coverage, hull or other insurance and the S and other countries can keep them out of US and other country home waters and ports. Without proper class and insurance they are breaking any number of US laws.

I cannot count the number of times I have sat on a *empty* vessel waiting for class approval to be passed along to USCG in Washington and the vessel given sailing clearance.

In addition, cargo underwriters will not permit carriage of assured cargo on vessels that are not in compliance with all IMO, Solas and international rules. A vessel owner is really sticking his neck out by trying to operate a sub standard vessel because all of the vessel legal defenses by international rules, Cogsa and Havre rules go out the porthole

So my statement stands as fact:

]All vessels are required to follow the IMO and Solas and other international regulations for their individual type/class and size.....ALL VESSELS.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper