Adagio Trio??

BJzink

When we sailed on Veendam in March, 2014- the Adagio Trio was downgraded to one violin and a piano player accompanying her. He was certainly competent, previously had played as background music in restaurants. But.......it doesn't come close to the sound of a string trio. The previous year on Zaandam, and on Noordam, we really loved to have an early seating dinner, listen to the Adagio Trio, then make our way to the showroom. Made for a complete evening. Is this change on all the HAL ships, or just certain ones?

The duo, down from trio (previously down from quartet) seems to be the standard on all the ships now. They have not played live music in the dining rooms when I have been there.

The duo, down from trio (previously down from quartet) seems to be the standard on all the ships now. They have not played live music in the dining rooms when I have been there.

Based on that progression I will expect a solo act next February :rolleyes:!

We had the duo on Volendam last fall. They were very good and the violinist played solo in the MDR on formal nights while the pianist played solo in Explorers until after dinner when the violinist joined her for their late set.

We very much miss the string quartets! Classical music is one of the things that makes the traditional cruise experience classy, in my opinion, many will feel differently. I think it's just one of many budget cuts that change the feel of the experience, so if we want classical music we'll have to find other places and ways but probably not on cruise ships much longer. At least not at the prices we're paying. On our first cruise we were very impressed with the variety of music and we had a string quartet in 2003 on Carnival Spirit to Alaska! It was part of what hooked us!

For comparison:

We had a lovely string trio on Celebrity Solstice in November 2013 but the venue they were placed in was horrible - the bar just outside one of the specialty dining rooms. There was constant traffic between the performers and where we could sit to listen, plus the noise of the bar and the drink mixers was too much competition.

On Ocean Princess in January we had no classical musicians, but in general the music was very limited, as are many things on such a small ship.

Anyone have experiences to share from other cruise lines? I'd be interested to hear what's happening with classical music in the cruise industry. Thx, m--

On our last Rotterdam cruise, we had a very talented duo - young women from Ukraine. The violinist played solo in the dining room on formal nights at the start of dinner. When she left early to play there, the pianist played solo in the Explorer's Lounge.

We had the duo on Volendam last fall. They were very good and the violinist played solo in the MDR on formal nights while the pianist played solo in Explorers until after dinner when the violinist joined her for their late set.

We very much miss the string quartets! Classical music is one of the things that makes the traditional cruise experience classy, in my opinion, many will feel differently. I think it's just one of many budget cuts that change the feel of the experience, so if we want classical music we'll have to find other places and ways but probably not on cruise ships much longer. At least not at the prices we're paying. On our first cruise we were very impressed with the variety of music and we had a string quartet in 2003 on Carnival Spirit to Alaska! It was part of what hooked us!

For comparison:

We had a lovely string trio on Celebrity Solstice in November 2013 but the venue they were placed in was horrible - the bar just outside one of the specialty dining rooms. There was constant traffic between the performers and where we could sit to listen, plus the noise of the bar and the drink mixers was too much competition.

On Ocean Princess in January we had no classical musicians, but in general the music was very limited, as are many things on such a small ship.

Anyone have experiences to share from other cruise lines? I'd be interested to hear what's happening with classical music in the cruise industry. Thx, m--

I must compliment HAL on the night they had a light classical presentation in the showroom on Veendam this past March. It was titled "Encore". Male & female singers (good voices without being overly loud), the lady violinist frrom the Adagio duo, the Halcats turned classical orchestra, 4 dancers with lovely costumes. Exerpts from "Phantom", "Aida", some other familiar music. We thoroughly enjoyed the entire program, long standing ovation from the audience, and we heard lots of compliments from passengers the next day. So different from the typical Broadway & 50's/60's shows they usually have. Be sure to catch this one if it is presented on your ship.

I can't speak about music being played in the lounges as we stayed away, but we have found Cunard ship a have wonderful classical concerts in the afternoon on sea days. We spent 6 weeks on the Queen Elizabeth last winter and thoroughly enjoyed the concerts.

Barbara M. In NH

I must compliment HAL on the night they had a light classical presentation in the showroom on Veendam this past March. It was titled "Encore". Male & female singers (good voices without being overly loud), the lady violinist frrom the Adagio duo, the Halcats turned classical orchestra, 4 dancers with lovely costumes. Exerpts from "Phantom", "Aida", some other familiar music. We thoroughly enjoyed the entire program, long standing ovation from the audience, and we heard lots of compliments from passengers the next day. So different from the typical Broadway & 50's/60's shows they usually have. Be sure to catch this one if it is presented on your ship.

YES! We saw Encore on our Panama Canal cruise (Veendam) last Oct.

By far the BEST show we've seen on HAL ever.

I must compliment HAL on the night they had a light classical presentation in the showroom on Veendam this past March. It was titled "Encore".

My favorite production show. I've seen it a few times, and could stand to see it a few more. I was sorry that it wasn't one of the production shows on my last cruise.

If it's presented on your cruise, I highly recommend going to it.a

Based on that progression I will expect a solo act next February :rolleyes:!

I envision a violinist, possibly wearing a gypsy costume, going from table to table to serenade the guests.

No need for a bandstand, even.

I can't speak about music being played in the lounges as we stayed away' date=' but we have found Cunard ship a have wonderful classical concerts in the afternoon on sea days. We spent 6 weeks on the Queen Elizabeth last winter and thoroughly enjoyed the concerts.

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

Thank you! Good to know as we are looking at Cunard possibilities for fall, both TA and Med. Would be worth the extra money (if any... there are some very good deals out there compared to HAL just now, e.g. Maasdam, Prinsendam) to have classical music. We would love it! m--

I vote for a return to the trio. On the Westerdam in January, the duo was satisfactory, in fact the Explorer's Lounge was well patronized. But, I really do not feel that it was a suitable replacement for the trip.

Just my opinion.

I envision a violinist, possibly wearing a gypsy costume, going from table to table to serenade the guests.

No need for a bandstand, even.

That's a great idea, but what about a pay for play classical jukebox?

para5e2e.jpg

Change the coin mechanism over to one where you swipe your room key. Charge more to get your song moved to the top of the queue.

Chicago Coin's Band Box: There's about 20 seconds of random jet plane footage at the beginning. Just sit through it and you'll see the band box.

You are all so right about the music - how we miss the Rosario Strings and

the Australian Tenors and Texas Tenors in the main lounge and the many instrumentalists that were so talented.

On our last cruise the violinist of the duo had a limited repertoire and played the same thing every night, the next duo to get on was the 2 women who played what we call CBC music - fine if that is your taste of course.

We had no music in the dining room at all which was a first for us.

The music on the ship makes a big difference to our enjoyment of the cruise

and we certainly hope that it doesn't get any worse.