Happy Winter Solstice...

Today is the shortest day of the year in the Southern Hemisphere. Trust you are all staying warm and dry.:)

From tomorrow the days will start to get longer which means another cruising season is on its way.

Yipee....:D:D

Winter solstice marks shortest day today

Today is the winter solstice, the shortest day in the Southern Hemisphere.

While days will now start to lengthen, the solstice marks the beginning of deep winter and means the coldest time of the year is about to kick in.

It also means less daylight hours, with only nine and a half hours of sunlight with sunrise at 7.34am and sunset at 5.11pm.

Today will be a full five hours short of our longest day in summer

"It also means less daylight hours, with only nine and a half hours of sunlight with sunrise at 7.34am".

Unfortunately my cat doesn't work on daylight hours. He still tries to wake us up at 5am! :eek::mad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Two years ago at this date I was in Barcelona for a conference, coinciding with summer solstice. All night parties and fireworks.

At one stage I stumbles across this town square off Las Ramblas. It was like 4 or 5 teams from different districts having competing choreographed firework dances. Fun.

Then down at the beach with tens of thousands of people having fun.

Here we are at the winter Solstice and my sacrificial lamb has bolted. :eek:

Wish I was on the Celebrity Solstice to celebrate.:D

While not the Solstice, my mother called me this morning to say hi before boarding the Eclipse....which at 9 hours behind she's just being picked up at her hotel to head to the port at Southampton right now.

While not the Solstice, my mother called me this morning to say hi before boarding the Eclipse....which at 9 hours behind she's just being picked up at her hotel to head to the port at Southampton right now.

Somewhat jealous.:D

Two years ago at this date I was in Barcelona for a conference, coinciding with summer solstice. All night parties and fireworks.

At one stage I stumbles across this town square off Las Ramblas. It was like 4 or 5 teams from different districts having competing choreographed firework dances. Fun.

Then down at the beach with tens of thousands of people having fun.

Won't be happing here in Perth - lots a rain - cold, dark, miserable, (or is that me:p) doona - warm fire - early night - late morning. Fun:eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

Won't be happing here in Perth - lots a rain - cold, dark, miserable, (or is that me:p) doona - warm fire - early night - late morning. Fun:eek:

Well, the Dockers had a really big win despite the weather.

Melbourne is just rather cold.

Well, the Dockers had a really big win despite the weather.

Melbourne is just rather cold.

Oh........go on then - add coal to the fire (keeps me warm) Dockers who?.......Go the Eagles - or have they gone?

Oh........go on then - add coal to the fire (keeps me warm) Dockers who?.......Go the Eagles - or have they gone?

LOl, not as cold as here in Canberra and we only have a team by Proxy (GWS). I much prefer the Swans or Port.:D