Infinity Review

shoesonfire

Just read the most recent member review of the Infinity and hope that Celebrity management is reading as well. Usually, one can "read between the lines" when reading a review with complaints and figure out the legitimacy of the review. The reviewers comments (copied and pasted below) regarding furnishings, toilets, general maintenance, etc. appear to also be reflected in recent CC forums regarding Celebrity's older ships. These are not major fixes and certainly customers should find the décor and upkeep of the ship to be reasonably updated. Cruisers are not expecting granite countertops in the bathrooms for example on older ships, but frayed and faded upholstery, drapes, and carpet and other visible signs of wear and tear should not be a factor. It's good to read that service and staff continue to get high praise, but it's hard to overlook a stained sofa when paying for a "luxury experience."

"I blame the management for all of the oversight. Someone of authority needs to look at the stained upholstery on ALL of the seats in the Trellis dining room. The Constellation Lounge also has stained and frayed chairs.

The rooms need to be inspected by someone other than housekeeping because they are NOT doing the job.

For example: Sloppy painting on decks, power washing needed on verandas. Plexiglas should have constant care. Toilets need Clorox. Shower tiles old and moldy.

Thick dust visible under mini frig. Curtains, which only block about 80 percent of sun, need to be rehung or replaced.

Upholstered furniture is fading and looks it.

The toilets throughout the ship have black ring in them (bacteria?)

The Oceanview buffet is very negligent in cleanliness. The servers should be using disposable gloves. The salt and pepper shakers are sticky as are condiment bottles. Ugh!"

I wonder how long it took the reviewer to inspect ALL the chairs Trellis dining room? If the reviewer would have said some or many, I might tend to give some credence to the review, but when they say ALL the chairs in one dining room, I would just discount the entire review as being an exaggeration of the facts.

Just read the most recent member review of the Infinity and hope that Celebrity management is reading as well. Usually, one can "read between the lines" when reading a review with complaints and figure out the legitimacy of the review. The reviewers comments (copied and pasted below) regarding furnishings, toilets, general maintenance, etc. appear to also be reflected in recent CC forums regarding Celebrity's older ships. These are not major fixes and certainly customers should find the décor and upkeep of the ship to be reasonably updated. Cruisers are not expecting granite countertops in the bathrooms for example on older ships, but frayed and faded upholstery, drapes, and carpet and other visible signs of wear and tear should not be a factor. It's good to read that service and staff continue to get high praise, but it's hard to overlook a stained sofa when paying for a "luxury experience."

"I blame the management for all of the oversight. Someone of authority needs to look at the stained upholstery on ALL of the seats in the Trellis dining room. The Constellation Lounge also has stained and frayed chairs.

The rooms need to be inspected by someone other than housekeeping because they are NOT doing the job.

For example: Sloppy painting on decks, power washing needed on verandas. Plexiglas should have constant care. Toilets need Clorox. Shower tiles old and moldy.

Thick dust visible under mini frig. Curtains, which only block about 80 percent of sun, need to be rehung or replaced.

Upholstered furniture is fading and looks it.

The toilets throughout the ship have black ring in them (bacteria?)

The Oceanview buffet is very negligent in cleanliness. The servers should be using disposable gloves. The salt and pepper shakers are sticky as are condiment bottles. Ugh!"

I've just returned from an Infinity cruise a week ago, this sounds like a different ship! :(

All chairs in Trellis are NOT stained we sat in different chairs for breakfasts lunches and dinners, never had a stained chair.

I saw no frayed or ripped chairs in constellation lounge.

Our cabin was immaculate, any toilets elsewhere on the ship were spotless.

Buffet was very clean with tables cleared and wiped promptly, we are not buffet fans but it was fine. Servers were wearing gloves.

The only thing I will agree with is that the glass needs cleaning on windows and balconys but the ship is at sea so these can get dirty however they could do with better cleaning.

The ship although older had a modern feel with the new furnishings and the additions of bistro on five, martini bar, cafe al Bacio etc. I NEVER saw anything (apart from the glass) frayed worn or dirty anywhere on the interior of the ship and I looked. Infact to be honest I looked closer than usual because I'd heard these tales of issues! :confused:

Edited by DebbieMacG

Sorry, but we have done four cruises on Infinity,

December 2011, May 2013, May 2013 and January 2014. We did not find the Infinity to be as shabby as presented in the review.

Overall, we thought the ship was well maintained, but we did see a little exterior rust, but an occasional worn carpet.

We were too busy having fun to get out our magnifying glass.

Interesting that the reviewer also wrote this:

This was our 3rd cruise on Celebrity. Other two ships were also old ( Summit & Century) the only ships offering the destinations and dates we wanted.

And then this - in an earlier review of the Century:

I'm sorry to see negative comments about the Celebrity Century. As with anything in life you could always look for faults.

Celebrity is a grand BUT older ship. Little things could be found but we chose to overlook them and REALLY enjoy our time. We have acquaintances that might not find this their "cup of tea."

So perhaps something else in their life was affecting their outlook during their most recent cruise on the Infinity? Who knows......:rolleyes:

Lately there has been so much "guerrilla marketing" on this forum that I just discount so much of these broadly negative reviews. But ultimately the only opinion which matters to me is my own!

I agree! I must admit that I didn't have high expectations before we went, having sailed six times on solstice class ships this was our first infinity cruise, so I thought, ok it's an older ship don't expect it to be the same, expect some wear and tear etc etc, I just hoped that the service was as good :)

We were VERY pleasantly surprised, it's a beautiful ship, so well laid out, I now understand why people say they like the MDR better with that huge window, I understand why they say solstice class cabins have less storage, I understand about the lifts and so much more. I love S class but now I love M class. I can honestly say apart from the glass needing cleaning we saw NOTHING wrong with the ship. Infact my hubbie and I both agree that she's our favourite ship so far, we didn't miss those extra 1000 people and the food and service were the best we've had :)

We were on the April 14th Infinity Canal cruise. I wrote a lengthy review.

We did not notice wide spread maintenance problems of the type described. Our seats in the Trellis were clean. Our only issue with the Trellis was how and what they put on the table. :-).

The comment about Clorox was interesting. It may not be compatible with the internal sewage systems. Other chemicals can react with chlorine and emit poisonous gases. Just what we need on a cruise ship... Arrgghhh.

The only place I thought maintenance was needed was the aft bar. It's getting time for a little TLC for the wooden furniture. And, I did notice that they converted a number of the Armchairs in the buffet to remove the arms. That work was sort of sloppy. But, again, it was no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another important (Well Maybe) Consideration

If a person writes an unbelievably positive or negative review, I always check to see if I can find them in the Cruise Roll Call thread.

If they are not part of the Roll Call, I attach little value to their review as they could be a Troll.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the first Northern Europe sailing in May and I have to agree with the comments about the windows needing some cleaning. There was some rust and bits bubbled and broken on our balcony but it was just cosmetic.

The one thing I do agree strongly with and hated was the curtains. They did not keep out the light and when you are cruising up around Scotland, Norway and Copenhagen, there is a lot more sunlight. The curtains just didn't block the light and we had trouble sleeping past early morning. Now if you are an early bird, this may not bother you.

Apart from that, everything was good.

We were on Infinity in April/May and did notice the black ring in the toilet. The steward would scrub it away each morning but it always returned. We thought it must be something in the water and did not consider it a big deal.

We are on Infinity 24 July, and I bet we have a FANTASTIC cruise. ;)

I know you will too:D...we seem to be in the group of folks who always

end up having a great cruise;)

If you are looking for faults, you will find them on any ship. Infinity is not perfect. M class ships are older and may look different from S class ships. Both types of ships have their own features. Some I like. Some I do not like. All Celebrity ships are striving to please.

I do sometimes wonder. I read CC reviews, because I think the line would suit us.

But I read reviews of Cruises I've been on (P&O) and I wonder, are they on the same cruise as me. Things like 'kids running everywhere' when the only ones I've seen were at a Cricket session and occasionally at breakfast/lunch. "Awful food" ? Compared to the Savoy or something ? No films on the TVs - yes there were - we watched one - lots of these sorts of things.

I mean, if someone had only been on the ultra luxury cruises perhaps they might look bad by comparison, but objectively, they aren't bad.

I'm not so sure it's trolling. I think they are shills either by competing or the groups themselves.

Some of it is probably just people who love to find something, anything to complain about.

In trying to decide between Princess, HAL, NCL, and Celebrity for South America cruise, I looked up the ratings on the cruise lines- Azamara is # 4 and Oceania is #6-we have sailed on both of them. Celebrity is #5. Azamara and Oceania were unbelievably perfect(except for tiny bathrooms on their two smaller ships), so I can not imagine Celebrity would have all these things wrong. Plus, anything with our cabin, we would go directly to our cabin stewards and if they were not fixed in one day, to management. Also, Infinity updated 2011, when was the review cited written?

Edited by treasure4two
Added info