Celebrity Ships too Cold

noggy1980

While this is a negative thread I thought I'd just say at the outset that we just got back from a wonderful cruise with celebrity and we are very happy with them and booked onboard for another trip.

While our cruise was fantastic there was one major negative and that was the ship inside was much too cold, some areas were only slightly cooler than I'd chose, some were significantly cooler and a few areas were outright very cold (the Ensemble lounge being the most guilty)

I heard one person comment on how nice and cool it was yet I heard dozens (not exaggerating) comment on it being cold or freezing. It's not so bad as a man but it's such a shame when the ladies dress up in their pretty dresses for formal night and then 10 minutes into dinner all 4 ladies at the table have put on cardigans.

There was a party on deck with lots of people sat around outside wrapped in multiple towels, yet you come inside and it was significantly cooler.

It seems to me that celebrity could save money, be better for the environment and produce a nicer area for the majority of guests by slightly turning down the air conditioning. Obviously what temperature you prefer is subjective but at least from what I heard I think a couple of degrees in the cooler areas would be almost universally welcomed.

but maybe I'm wrong and I don't' speak for the majority so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

While this is a negative thread I thought I'd just say at the outset that we just got back from a wonderful cruise with celebrity and we are very happy with them and booked onboard for another trip.

While our cruise was fantastic there was one major negative and that was the ship inside was much too cold, some areas were only slightly cooler than I'd chose, some were significantly cooler and a few areas were outright very cold (the Ensemble lounge being the most guilty)

I heard one person comment on how nice and cool it was yet I heard dozens (not exaggerating) comment on it being cold or freezing. It's not so bad as a man but it's such a shame when the ladies dress up in their pretty dresses for formal night and then 10 minutes into dinner all 4 ladies at the table have put on cardigans.

There was a party on deck with lots of people sat around outside wrapped in multiple towels, yet you come inside and it was significantly cooler.

It seems to me that celebrity could save money, be better for the environment and produce a nicer area for the majority of guests by slightly turning down the air conditioning. Obviously what temperature you prefer is subjective but at least from what I heard I think a couple of degrees in the cooler areas would be almost universally welcomed.

but maybe I'm wrong and I don't' speak for the majority so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

We all react differently to temperature. I remember when my House of Worship installed a new air conditioning system and there was a constant battle between those who thought the room was too hot and those who thought it was too cold. Some men actually would pop up and reset the temperature as soon as someone else set it. Quite amusing to watch.

My guess is that some of the differences will be apparent as this tread goes on and assumes a life of its own. I have heard that ships sometimes intentionally lower the temperature to fight the spread of illness. Don't know whether this is true or not.

Edited by Orator

Temp is a tough one as different people like different temps. Having said that I have experienced portions of ships where I believe anyone would say it is too cold. We always bring some type of clothing, a light jacket or sweater for me and a wrap for my wife to keep us comfortable.

I have never been cold on a Celebrity ship. I have been too warm. If someone is cold they can put on a sweater, jacket, scarf. There is a limit to what a person can take off if it is too warm!

Also, as rooms get more crowded the temperature rises. If you are dancing you will raise your temp.

They sell very pretty $10 "Pashmina" style scarves onboard ship in a variety of colors. An easy way for a lady to still show off her lovely dress while staying warm. My husband finds a sport coat or dinner jacket is comfortable even outside on a cool evening.

Goldilocks and the Three Bears Syndrome.:)

We keep our home warm in the summer and cool in the winter so we might share your opinion of the temp.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

I, for one, love a cold room and am happy to add a sweater or shawl if needed. But it's much harder to take off clothing if the room is too warm, and it wouldn't be a pretty sight if most Celebrity cruisers began doing so….

Too true. :D Is it all Celebrity ships, or just the one you were recently on? I didn't notice it being cold at all on the Summit this year. Last year on the Century (to Alaska) the only place I noticed it was at all chilly was the theatre. I'm normally a hot person, so if I found it cool, it probably was.

every cruise I have been on the indoor spaces are too cold for me. I bring sweaters.

nor am I vain enough to care about appearances. if I am cold, I will put on a sweater to get warm and who cares what fashion atrocity is committed in the process.

I agree that areas should be cool for dancing and the areas where significant dancing is expected the current temperatures are appropriate. The strange thing is though the areas that are most used for dancing are not the very cold ones, the martini bar and the grand foyer are both significantly warmer than the ensemble lounge (I didn't go in quasar so can't comment on that).

I fully agree that temperatures are subjective and I'm not suggesting they make the ship warm, just that they don't make it cold. I know that ladies can wear a pretty wrap or scarf if they get chilly but if the vast majority of them feel they need to do so isn't the temperature too cold? I realise of course that the times the ladies are wearing the least the men are wearing the most which is a little difficult, I was fine if a little cool in my tux but none of the ladies were warm enough.

while you can of course go and get a jumper it is a shame you need to do so.

I did wonder if the temperatures had anything to do with keeping sickness low as with celebrity cutting back in a few areas this is an area where they could easily cut back on a cost while making just as many people happier (or more imo) than they make unhappier.

I have not noticed Celebrity indoor areas being too chilly. DW would probably notice it more than me. She sometimes takes a light sweater with her just in case.

I have noticed our local movie theaters seem chilly to me. We usually go to the 4pm matinees, which draw few people. However, I noticed Saturday when we went to see the Jersey Boys that the theater was far more crowded. It wasn't chilly. I think the theater keeps the temp low as a default so it won't get warm inside and if the threater fills up, it could be warm.

Perhaps X is doing the same.

Formal night attire is interesting, to say the least. My wife freezes and I'm roasting in my tux. I've also found that as I age my tolerances for cold lessen. I used to love it cold. Very cold. Now, not so much. Many things can have a bearing on your tolerances of the cold, from the clothes you're wearing, to your weight, medications you are taking, age, and other factors.

I agree with keeping it on the cooler side, as it is much easier to add a layer. You can only remove so much. ;)

As some of responders have indicated, desired temperatures are most subjective; however, this is relatively an easy fix; i.e., layer or un-layer, put on sweater or jacket or take off sweater or jacket and so-on and so-on. As a long-time cruiser, I have found most amusing and, sometime annoying, the complaints on shore tour buses where a bus has 40 plus passengers of usually senior citizens (of which I am a bona fide member) who desire their own personal comfort levels. For example, DW and I were on a shore tour bus which was heading to and from Marrakesh in Morocco. Comments shared with guide on bus during transit included: "It is too cold in this bus," "We are freezing", "Can I open my window in order to defrost my bones," "It is to warm in here, my medicine will melt.", "the speaker volume is so loud, I cannot near anything you are saying," and "Turn up the volume." Although, hopefully, this was not a typical experience, I wanted to stand up and vigorously applaud the guide when he said "How about if I do not say anything---will that make you happy? Why do too many people my age become jaded and think we have a special sense of entitlements? Oh well, on to our next cruise!

Perhaps it is a Brit thing :) I too find the ships freezing inside and used to go out on deck to get warm, always pack lots of cardigans when on X

I think it is a British thing. I have lived in Canada for many years, but spend several weeks each year in my homeland of Wales. I find that some British people have a deep distrust of air conditioning and blame it for a multitude of respiratory problems. Of course they are not accustomed to the extremes of temperature experienced in many parts of North America including Canada. I can't recall ever having to put on more than an occasional thin shawl on any of the Celebrity cruises I have taken, but we have been seated at dinner with British people who complained about the cold.

I've never been cold on an S class ship, (except outside on deck during a hail storm :) ) but I've certainly been too warm many, many times. If someone is too cool, they can add a sweater or jacket or wrap. If someone is too warm, there's only so much you can take off to cool off.

I recently returned from a land trip to England, & I will say, they have a very, very different attitude toward what a comfortable indoor temperature is compared to what's acceptable in the U.S. :)

I, for one, love a cold room and am happy to add a sweater or shawl if needed. But it's much harder to take off clothing if the room is too warm, and it wouldn't be a pretty sight if most Celebrity cruisers began doing so….

I've never been too cold on Celebrity (been too hot at times), but I do like it on the cooler side. I agree it is much easier to put on a sweater or shawl, then to have to strip and run around naked if it is too hot. LOL!

For those that think it is too cold, what temperature would you suggest the rooms be at?

Edited by NLH Arizona

I did wonder if the temperatures had anything to do with keeping sickness low as with celebrity cutting back in a few areas this is an area where they could easily cut back on a cost while making just as many people happier (or more imo) than they make unhappier.

If they were doing it to cut back on costs, I would think that all the rooms would be to warm not to cold. Edited by NLH Arizona

Obviously what temperature you prefer is subjective.

but maybe I'm wrong and I don't' speak for the majority.

Different strokes... I almost always find the MDR to be uncomfortably warm. :o

nor am I vain enough to care about appearances. if I am cold, I will put on a sweater to get warm and who cares what fashion atrocity is committed in the process.

There always seems to be PLENTY of people on patrol who care GREATLY. :rolleyes:

In some public areas you could Hang Meat! :eek:

I always take things with sleeves as well as a wrap.

LuLu

We have also been on cruises where it is hot enough to do ceramics :D

Give me the meat locker any time.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

HA HA!!

I've always said you can always put more on.....there's only so much you can take off...

Would much rather have it too cold, than too hot.....a little shivering is much preferred to profuse sweating.....

but it is a very subjective thing and sorry that the OP found it uncomfortable!