Nice,France

Capri73

Our Spirit trip fell thru. We are now looking at Nice to Rome Oct 30th.We do not care about hot weather. We live in AZ but want pleasant conditions. Any advice? Also hotels in Nice. We will not make a flight from Rome to AZ so need to spend the night in Rome.

Any advice is appreciated. Also should we get SB air or do our own?

Thank you

Another vote for the Palais de la Mediterranee, it's lovely and right on the seafront. Nice is a lovely town. You can take a train ride to Monte Carlo but maybe it's on your cruise itinerary. I'd suggest you stay in Nice for two or three nights before embarking, it really is a beautiful area.

If you happen to do the train to Monaco, consider the helicopter back to Nice airport. It's a commuter service - usually about 5 pax -and cost is not exorbitant. Hugs the coast so you see all of the great homes etc from the air. Or get off she train in Ville France, and see the Rothschild house and gardens. (The lunch there is expensive!!) this is probably one if the sight seeing options from the ship

Stayed three days in lovely Nice in May while waiting for the Odyssey's Monte Carlo-Athens. Loved the Hyatt and its location in the Boulevard. All rooms have a balcony, either with a sea or mountain view. Don't miss the painting at the entrance...it changes perspective as you move. We took the train to MC and need to advise you on the following: Better to secure your tickets the day before, or arrive early, since the ticket lines don't move very fast. Also, should your cruise embark in MC rather than Nice, beware the the MC train station is not luggage friendly, meaning that most probably the escalators would not be working and no elevator to be found (there must be, but I was in a hurry). Enjoy your trip!

There are weather sites which will give you the monthly temperature and rain fall averages for these destinations [& any others]. Hope this helps.

It would seem that your basic decision re: Rome hotels is whether you wish to stay in the city or close to the airport. Perhaps your cruise line offers a 1 or 2 day post cruise Rome package which at least could give you some ideas.

What is the weather like Oct 30-Nov 11.

Rome,Florence,Syracuse,Delphi these are a few of the stops.

I write what follows with a large disclaimer - that the weather in many places around the world is unpredictable. Outside of the peak summer months of June, July, August, the Med is no exception.

For Nice at that time of year, the daytime temperatures are likely to be in the mid to high 60s. It can be rainy, although it's unlikely to rain constantly the whole day long, and usually the beginning of November is drier than the end of the month. The norm would be for mostly mild days, with the occasional shower.

For your other ports, I'm not as familiar with their weather, but generally the further south and east you travel in the Med at that time of year, the better your chances of warmer weather with less rain.

Autumn storms can hit the western Med, but in my experience, it's less likely to happen in November than it is in February/March.

the Palais is indeed very good but rather expensive

have a look into the Negresco

Boscolo Exedra is also nice , decent is Beau Rivage ( design interior )

Villefranche is a pleasant place - however not in full summer

you also can do a train trip to Menton

the Palais is indeed very good but rather expensive

have a look into the Negresco

Boscolo Exedra is also nice , decent is Beau Rivage ( design interior )

Villefranche is a pleasant place - however not in full summer

you also can do a train trip to Menton

Met my wife at the Negresco ... we were at the same conference.

Not my style to be honest. Good restaurant but expensive.

The Negresco is an old-fashioned 'posh' hotel, much liked by many and disliked by others because of things like the tiny Victorian style lifts, etc. But it has bags of character, a bit like the Grande Bretagne in Athens. I like it very much, but it would not appeal at all to lovers of everything glossy and up to date.

We also stayed @ the Negresso.........would not do it again.......but...it is a hoot. The décor is outrageous. I do think that walking down the street and taking a peak inside is worth the chuckles. The little café next door is great......have a lunch or dinner there. Any where on that blvd. it is nice to have a window so that you can look down @ the water. The bare top sun bathers is also a hoot.

The Negresco isn't my cup of tea at all. I find the decor rather vulgar ;)

That said, Nice itself isn't my favourite either. My first choice would be to head in the direction of Antibes and stay at the gorgeous Hotel du Cap Eden-Roc. Although not in July/August. Alternatively, head in the opposite direction, towards Monaco, and stay at the lovely La Réserve de Beaulieu.

Edited by Nigella

If you have time, take a side trip to St Paul de Vence, a medieval hilltop village where the local men play boules and you can wander through cobbled streets. A delight.

Agree! And before/after wandering the streets, stop off for lunch. There are a couple of very good places to eat.

The Negresco is like an old lady with too much rouge on.

Chateau de la Chèvre d'Or in Eze is one of my favorites in the area. If you want to stay in Nice I'd agree with others on Palais de la Mediterrannee.

The Negresco is like an old lady with too much rouge on.

Perfect! If you don't mind, I'd like to share that with my mother in law when I see her in a couple of days. She'll find it very amusing and absolutely spot on.

Edited by Nigella

The Negresco isn't my cup of tea at all. I find the decor rather vulgar ;)

That said, Nice itself isn't my favourite either. My first choice would be to head in the direction of Antibes and stay at the gorgeous Hotel du Cap Eden-Roc. Although not in July/August. Alternatively, head in the opposite direction, towards Monaco, and stay at the lovely La Réserve de Beaulieu.

i never would stay in the Negresco but you must visit it

the restaurant is far too expensive as well

Sorry to have set the cat among the pigeons! I was not particularly recommending the Negresco as a place to stay,just saying it had a quirky atmosphere - and I do not think it is 'vulgar' unless it has changed in the past 3 years or so. And we did quite like the 'carousel' restaurant, not the 'posh' one, especially for breakfast. However, chacun a son gout, and I guess I am now completely persona non grata for admitting to wearing black denim in the MDR in the evenings!! Better keep a low profile for a while, methinks.