Celebrity Equinox Flip Flop Question:)

HammerTownGal

Hello All:)

I am new to this site...it's so informative and I LOVE reading all of the tidbits/reviews. I am sailing on the Equinox in September (Venice to Barcelona, 13 night, Istanbul overnight) with my family...so excited that I can't think of anything else!

This may seem silly but I LIVE in flip flops (all kinds, colours, styles). I wear them with sun dresses, skirts, shorts, capri's etc. I am wondering about wearing them in the dining rooms (not on formal nights of course, but every other night:). Will I be asked to leave? If I wear a pair of cotton capri's and a blouse and flip flops will I be called out?

I have cruised celebrity before (on the century...many years ago) and I can't imagine that I didn't wear flip flops! I must have and I don't remember it being a problem.

Again, sorry if it's a silly question but I loathe heels (I will wear them on formal nights only). I really want to make sure that I pack appropriately....

Thanks in advance for any info:)

I am new to this site...it's so informative and I LOVE reading all of the tidbits/reviews. I am sailing on the Equinox in September (Venice to Barcelona, 13 night, Istanbul overnight) with my family...so excited that I can't think of anything else!

This may seem silly but I LIVE in flip flops (all kinds, colours, styles). I wear them with sun dresses, skirts, shorts, capri's etc. I am wondering about wearing them in the dining rooms (not on formal nights of course, but every other night:). Will I be asked to leave? If I wear a pair of cotton capri's and a blouse and flip flops will I be called out?

I have cruised celebrity before (on the century...many years ago) and I can't imagine that I didn't wear flip flops! I must have and I don't remember it being a problem.

Again, sorry if it's a silly question but I loathe heels (I will wear them on formal nights only). I really want to make sure that I pack appropriately....

Thanks in advance for any info:)

I suggest you find something else to wear when you dine. How about a pair of sandals?

Flip flops would be ok at the buffet.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There are no silly questions - ask away. You can also search the boards and often find your answer there as well.

Technically, no flip-flops are allowed in the main dining room (MDR) at dinner. Like many things, this is enforced differently depending on the staff at the time so can vary ship by ship, sailing by sailing. You will not likely get in wearing 'beachy' flip-flops. If you have dressy flip-flops (sparkles, shiny leather, etc..) I would say you have a 50/50 shot at getting admitted. I would bring a pair of regular sandals to be safe, and take a chance if you want to knowing you may be sent back to change.

Europe is usually much more dressy than Alaska or the Caribbean. I would throw in a pair of nice sandals to wear for dinner and avoid the embarrassment of possibly being turned away.

You are on a great itinerary! Take care of the Equinox for us as we will be in her the end of Oct:D

Thanks so much everyone! I have several pairs of sandals ("Grecian" style...with some "flaire"). I think those will suffice...I just prefer to have my feet uncovered...as often as possible:) I will keep it safe and save my flip flops for the daytime.

This site is great!

Thanks again...

Recently returned from two cruises, one on the Infinity and one on the Constellation. I wore sparkly, bejeweled flip flops with a slightly elevated heel to dinner several of the nights, including formal nights. I don't think anyone ever noticed what was on my feet. I think I could have worn beachy flip flops without fearing being turned away. Nobody seemed to give it a second thought.

There are flip flops and there are flip flops, my wife broke her toe, just before a long Asia to Dubai cruise. At the last minute, and I do mean the last minute, she bought a pair of Clark's walking flip flop sandals. They were wore every where MDR, tours, and OMG on formal night. NEVER a ISSUE from anyone. Heck I doubt that many even look at your feet, unless you are wearing some thing that is really exotic and fancy. I once saw a guy in a tux with brilliant red tennis shoes(COOL), and one with YES, Birkenstock sandals.

Edited by north29

On our last 2 Celebrity cruises, I wore flip flops; Yellow Box with sequins, feathers, Bling, and never had an issue. I know the "details of the dress code, say no flip flops. However, these are easier to pack, much safer than High Heels or wedges, still pretty and are comfortable when my feet might tend to swell on a cruise. I think there is a world of difference between these shoes than the $1 store flip flop for the pool.

On our last 2 Celebrity cruises, I wore flip flops; Yellow Box with sequins, feathers, Bling, and never had an issue. I know the "details of the dress code, say no flip flops. However, these are easier to pack, much safer than High Heels or wedges, still pretty and are comfortable when my feet might tend to swell on a cruise. I think there is a world of difference between these shoes than the $1 store flip flop for the pool.

I've worn Yellow Box blingy flip flops as well to the MDR, but not very often. I think it would be no issue, especually if you have a set dining time, and after the first night, just head to your table. Who is going to stop and/or turn her away?

I've got my fair share of shoes, and opinions, and must admit, some of the flip flops I've seen are more fashionable then some of the shoes I've seen :D ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I'm so glad you asked this question. I suffer from feet issues and can comfortably wear only fitness shoes, Dansko or Fit Flops. I did buy Fit Flops with a back strap in case I was turned away from dinner, but would far rather wear my Fit Flops with the sequins and "jewels". They are certainly fancier than my old lady Dansko clogs!

Your post and the responses were helpful. Heading to Alaska next week!

There are flip-flops and then there are flip flops...........

I would not wear these to dinner........

2787442-p-MOBILETHUMB.jpg

But I would wear something like this

2197007-p-MOBILETHUMB.jpg

Flip flops.....another term for a nicer one would be a thong sandal.....I wear them....

some are quite dressy....leather with some embellishment.....

depends on the sandals.

Edited by Lois R

And if you really want some shoe assistance? Hop over to the

Fashion Forum:D.......lots of folks over there who love to talk clothes,

shoes, accessories, everything.

Technically, no flip-flops are allowed in the main dining room (MDR) at dinner. Like many things, this is enforced differently depending on the staff at the time so can vary ship by ship, sailing by sailing. You will not likely get in wearing 'beachy' flip-flops. If you have dressy flip-flops (sparkles, shiny leather, etc..) I would say you have a 50/50 shot at getting admitted.

I get the flip flops that have a little sparkle or design and in 40 cruises, I have never ever been turned away at the dining room.

I even wear them on formal night (relax people...they are dressy but still flip flop style) and have gotten compliments....mostly by others that wish they didn't have to wear heals, which I cannot wear due to some foot problems. You will be fine.