Tis Himself, Once More

Himself

Hi, Ann. We have traveled to several cruise ports on Amtrak and I found valuable information on a website called Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum. If you do a Google search you should be able to find it.

Cindy

Thanks, Cindy. I'll check it out.:)

I just went to the link our Friend David has on his cruise ship location page and his link to Seward shows the Oosterdam docked there a bit early. The Next time she docks there in two weeks I will be on the ship.

I was sorry to learn of the fire on the Westerdam. I understand she has been cleared and I hope she is underway soon and that the problem does not reoccur.

Greetings

A week from tomorrow I board the Oosterdam to do what I usually do on cruise ships.

This time I am going by AMTRAK and will be leaving next week and making my way to Seattle and eventually to the Oosterdam. We sail on Sunday July 6th. I am not sure if I will go live or wait until I am back. I will take some notes of my rail travels and the cruise and I will post when I get back, if I do not post on the ship.

Tis Himself

The Amtrak was an adventure for us. If we did it again - we would be sure to get a sleeper, rather than sitting up for over 30 hours. One thing we did like about the train - there are electrical plugs so the laptop or the Nook always had a good charge on it.

I just hope you will find it as much of an adventure as we did.

Okie

Edited by Okie1946

A quick vote for Via Rail. I just took it (business class) from Ottawa to Montreal to Quebec City. I was in business class and had a great ride. Service was good, included meal was better than the old airline meals, and trains were pretty close to being on schedule. Ottawa to Montreal started about 15 minutes late but I believe it made up a bit of time. Montreal to Quebec City left and arrived right on time.

Via rail has a good reputation of being on time, especially around Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto. I have not heard of any delays on the Vancouver to Toronto run. I'd rather do Via than Amtrak. Food for thought. I was planning on doing business class Air Vancouver to Montreal to Fort Lauderdale next April. Perhaps I'll change one portion to rail out of Vancouver.

Via rail has a good reputation of being on time, especially around Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto. I have not heard of any delays on the Vancouver to Toronto run. I'd rather do Via than Amtrak. Food for thought. I was planning on doing business class Air Vancouver to Montreal to Fort Lauderdale next April. Perhaps I'll change one portion to rail out of Vancouver.

We'll have to talk about that :D! We would like to do Vancouver to Toronto but it's 4 nights, pretty expensive, and also only runs once a week, I think. April 3rd, I think was one day it leaves. But it would be great fun!

Very nice trip, Himself!

Have a safe and wonderful trip! Not long we will be on the Amsterdam for 14 days, I cannot wait!

David

David: I think you will be heading North at a time I will be heading South. I hope you guys have a great cruise. This will be the third year you and your wife are doing this cruise. I you going to do it next year as the Statendam will be doing this run before she goes over to another line and the new Statendam comes on line?

David: I think you will be heading North at a time I will be heading South. I hope you guys have a great cruise. This will be the third year you and your wife are doing this cruise. I you going to do it next year as the Statendam will be doing this run before she goes over to another line and the new Statendam comes on line?

Hello Himself,

I am not sure what we will be doing next year. For now, we might be looking at a Hawaiian cruise for two weeks. If we do the Hawaiian cruise, we will not be able to do the two week Alaskan cruise. We have not yet decided what to do. Both of us are going back to school, and if we do the Hawaiian cruise, that will be our graduation present for both of us. That is the main reason I am not on the CC boards that much now. I am working full-time and going to school full-time. I am hoping to graduate sometimes next year. If we do not do to Alaska next year, it definitely will be missed.

Even on the Amsterdam two week cruise for this year, I am going to have to take books to read and study for the class that I will be taking then.

David

Edited by luvtwotrvl

A note to those of you considering Amtrak transportation to your cruise (or any other type of vacation, for that matter) I say GO FOR IT! Our first experience with Amtrak was the spring of 2002 - after 9/11 - when it was offered by a TA as a Rail and Sail package.

It was such a great experience, with five days cross-country with a sleeper (tiny!) followed by a Panama Canal transit from San Diego, that two years ago we took Amtrak from New Orleans to San Francisco to Seattle to Chicago to New Orleans, with about five days spent in each of the cities! It was great fun, and we met some lovely people on board the train. We shall be doing it again one of these days!

A note about the sleeper cars: if you are anywhere near six feet tall, the 'roomette' beds might not be for you. They are just about six feet long. A 'family' room would suit much better as there is one bed in it that it the full width of the rail car almost. Check the Amtrak web site for information. And when booking any sleeper, all meals are included. And bring your wine/cocktails on board, and have happy hour in your room or in the lounge car.

Donna

Suzie I am taking the Empire Builder to Seattle and then taking an Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver B.C.

Father,

You remind me of a dear friend that I have who travels by train a cross USA and Canada. He is also a RC priest and was a HAL Chaplin. The last time he did this was after visiting us, at the young age of 93.

Enjoy it I have heard the trip is nice.