Were you invited to dine with the captain?

JimAOk1945

We were invited to dine with the captain while on a cruise a few years ago. Another time we dined with one of the senior officers. Both invitations came on the first formal night of each cruise.

Neither one of these were on a Princess cruise. Does Princess offer this type of experience?

Thanks for your replies.

No. The Captain doesn't dine in the dining room nor does he invite passengers to his quarters. If you are among the most-traveled passengers on your cruise, you'll be invited to either a luncheon or a cocktail party. Those with the most number of days sailed on Princess sit with the Captain, the next six sit with the next senior officer, and down the line. My last several cruises, the cut-off for the luncheon was about 400 days sailed with Princess. It's not unusual for a cruise to have 20-50% of the passengers Platinum (50+ days) or Elite (150+ days) so you are sailing with literally hundreds if not thousands of passengers who are loyal Princess passengers.

Well I will say there was a time that there were fewer Elite types then there are today. We have had the privilege of a small cocktail party on Princess in the Captains quarters on 2 occasions many years ago,

and not it was not the Mayflower. :p

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yes, but this is not common practice on Princess and it was quite a wonderful surprise. This particular captain has extended a few extraordinary courtesies to us, for which we are quite grateful and somewhat in awe. We are not quite sure why, but wouldn't for one minute question our good fortune. In all our cruises with Princess, it is the only time we have had a dinner with the captain - just the two of us and the captain. We certainly wouldn't expect that experience again, but would definitely welcome it.

It happens, but it's not like Celebrity and RC used to be, where being at a certain loyalty level practically guaranteed you a spot at the Captains Table (or sometimes with another senior officer). Those were like dining at the Chefs Table on Princess, but free.

Well I will say there was a time that there were fewer Elite types then there are today. We have had the privilege of a small cocktail party on Princess in the Captains quarters on 2 occasions many years ago,

Loved that... thanks for the laugh!

My wife and I are Elite. Twenty five of us Elites had lunch with the Captain on the Caribbean Princes in 2007. Again on the Star in 2008. Even though we have eight more cruises and 118 more days at sea - we haven't come close again. Quacker Don

My wife and I are Elite. Twenty five of us Elites had lunch with the Captain on the Caribbean Princes in 2007. Again on the Star in 2008. Even though we have eight more cruises and 118 more days at sea - we haven't come close again. Quacker Don
There were a lot fewer Elite in 2007, and a lot fewer passengers in general. Just read the thread about becoming Elite the easy way.

Hi All

You will see Captain and other senior officers having breakfast, lunch or diner

around the ship with family and or friends, have been invited by a few senior

crew that I know well to join them, last few times have been for lunch in the

MDR when it has been closed to passengers, there were only around six tables

in use by crew.

yours Shogun

I was seated at an officer-hosted table (not the Captain, the Navigator and the Chief Engineer) twice, on the original Island and on the Pacific . . . many years ago. Princess no longer does this.

Many, many years ago on the original Love Boats we sat with the deputy Captain for 10 nights on a cruise from Japan to Hawaii. Also sat with the Purser and with the Chief Engineer on other cruises. We have been most traveled passengers several times. We often take suites and did so the times we sat with officers. On the Japan to Hawaii cruise we were invited to a cocktail party in the Deputy's suite with star entertainers. Never had better service at the dining room table than those 3 cruises. Served by Head Waiters and Maitre D.

Too bad they don't do it anymore. But the MTP luncheon was not done back then. And the luncheon is nice. Unless one of your table mates continually talks about all his medical problems. that happened to us at the last luncheon when we were MTPs.

On our Holland America cruise last year, he ship's doctor and his wife joined our table on the second formal night. We were at a table for six that had just four of us regularly assigned to it. They said that they're assigned to such tables on the formal nights. The cruise line provided wine for the table. It was nice to learn about some of the behind-the-scenes things that go on.

Was it the SANTA MARIA?

On one cruise the most traveled couple were by themselves at a table for four in traditional dining. Most evenings the Captain did sit with them for a bit of time. I do not know if he ate anything while at that table.

When I first started cruising on Princess I recall there was a Captain's table in the MDR and different people joined him. Of course, I was never one of those people. On HAL, we had an officer join us for dinner in the MDR one night. I've been at most traveled luncheons on Princess, but I never am even close to being at the Captain's table. I barely make it to the luncheon. LOL. I have to say that the captain that was on our Alaska cruise last summer used to eat meals in the buffet quite often. We though it was nice that he did that. He usually had another crew member with him. He was quite a nice gentleman.

First and last time that we have dined with a captain on Princess, was in 1996, our first time on a Princess ship, the original Pacific Princess, and the it was Captain Christie, who invited my bride to be, after we announced our engagement on the ship, and was also our lunch companion on one day.

Those were the days when the officers would mingle in the Pacific Lounge, and a whole different feeling of being on a cruise ship was had by all.

I miss those days!:);)

Rick

I don't understand why anyone would want to dine with the captain. People say it's a privilege, but, after all, isn't he essentially just a driver in a fancy suit? Would you want to have dinner with a bus driver?

Ok, a cocktail party is maybe a bit different, I'm just talking about dining with him.

Maybe some people just like to be elitist?

We met a woman on a cruise who knew the captain and one night he came to our table and joined the six of us. They told us this was his table anyway. Food was the same, but serving staff were visibly more attentive and nervous.:rolleyes:

Honestly, they usually have good stories.

That said, given the choice I would dine with the CD, they must have better ones if John Heald's blog is any indication.

I don't understand why anyone would want to dine with the captain. People say it's a privilege, but, after all, isn't he essentially just a driver in a fancy suit? Would you want to have dinner with a bus driver?

Ok, a cocktail party is maybe a bit different, I'm just talking about dining with him.

Maybe some people just like to be elitist?