Pompeii & Vesuvius Tour Group

nmg85

Since this will probably get moved to the "Ports" thread. You might want to take a look here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

A couple of personal recommendations I have are a company called Benvenuto Limos and Rome in Limos.

http://www.benvenutolimos.com/

http://www.romelimousines.com/

Bob

(not the owner of the later.....:D)

I used "Joe Banana Tours" on my Royal Princess cruise last October. I'm posting the full description below.

What I'd suggest is that either they or you join the Roll Call for your cruise. Chances are that someone has put together a tour. Or, you can book the tour and have others on your roll call join you. I had a total of eight people on my tour which made it a small, compatible group but large enough to save money. We had a great time! FYI, we chose not to walk (hike) up to the summit of Vesuvius. There were spectacular views from where the hike starts and we didn't feel like paying another 20€ to hike. Instead, we spent more time at lunch. :)

Naples: 10/13/13 -- Joe Banana Tours -- Pompeii, Herculaneum & Vesuvius

http://www.joebananalimos.net/herculaneum_pompei_vesuvius.html

One of Joe Banana's driver will meet you at port of Naples, he'll stand right in front of the gang way of your cruise ship with a sign and your name on it.

Then we'll drive by Sorrento Coast, after 45 minutes of drive we'll arrive at ruins of Pompeii, part of an ancient Roman city destroyed and buried by the eruption of the volcano Vesuvius in 79 A.D., is the first stop on this breathtaking shore excursion!

The remainder of the uncovered city is buried under the new Pompeii rebuilt many years after the eruption. Archeological excavations are open to the public between the hours of 08:30 and 18:30 every day of the week, and either guides can be hired at the entrance or headphones can be rented, with voice recordings in many languages to explain the sites.

Please note that since Pompeii is a popular area for tourists, we strongly recommend being cautious of your belongings and leave valuables at your hotel! We would also advise that you take plenty of water, especially in the summer months and ensure you are either well covered or well slathered in sun cream as there is very little shade in which to escape the sun.

Herculaneum is an ancient residential town of Greek origins, and has also become an important stop for those tourists wishing to steep themselves in history. Destroyed and buried in ashes, together with Pompeii, by the eruption of the volcano Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Herculaneum also offers a variety of beautiful scenery and invaluable arts. Strangely, excavations began by accident in 1709 when some workers were digging a well - they discovered a wall, obviously old and out of site for hundreds of years, which was later found to be one of the stages of the ancient theatre.

Later, there were many human skeletons uncovered at the ancient shoreline, suggesting that numerous inhabitants attempted to escape by sea, but perished when mountains collapsed into rivers of lava and volcanic gases were released.

Thousands of prosperous citizens on and before 79 A.D. sought comfort and luxury in the majesty of Mount Vesuvius regarding it as nothing less than a gift from the gods. In those days of abundance and wealth, no Neapolitan would have anticipated the hidden threat churning inside their beloved mountain and erupting violently during the morning of August 24th, 79 A.D., destroying all of the surrounding cities, spitting lava and gases into the air. Since then, Vesuvius has erupted approximately three dozen times. The most recent eruptions between 1913-1944 were thought to bring to an end an eruptive cycle that began in 1631.

However, unpredictably, the last eruption of Vesuvius occurred on the 23rd of November 1980, and killed over 3,000 people. You too can view the crater of Vesuvius which stands 1281 meters above sea level. Our cars can take you half way up this climb and you can tackle the rest on foot by walking for approximately 45 minutes up the steep mount; the view from the top makes the effort more than worthwhile!

€550 + €20/pp entrance fee -- €89/pp including 2 hours' private guide each in Pompeii and Herculaneum. Lunch, drinks tips not included. Total of 8 people.

NOTE: Vesuvius: there is 30/40 min. climb up get to the top

Edited by Pam in CA

You have so many choices. I would read reviews on TripAdvisor and on this board.

I too think that Joe Banana Tours would be great and as I said there are others.

My own view is you can benefit a great deal from the tour with a good guide. But you can do this on your own too but I think you get more out of it with a knowledgeable guide.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

We decide to DIY on pompeii. How do we go to Mt Vesurius on our own without tour group. I do not find much informaton about it. We also want to visit Herculaneum on our way back to ship.Our ship will dock in Naples. Any suggestion is greatly appreiciate.

We took NCL's ship tour of Vesuvius and Pompeii. There may not be a way to do both and Herculaneum in one day - Vesuvius took the morning and Pompeii the afternoon.

At the top of Vesuvius are two tourist shops, and both sell lemoncino and wine from grapes grown on the slopes of Vesuvius. The wine is very hard to find in the US, but is available in small bottles for only 3 Euros. We've opened the lemoncino, but our somelier advises we rack the wine and open it next year.