Carnival destroys our luggage again

golfadj

my travel pro bags are at least 8 yrs old, used many times for both biz and pleasure .

made very well however todays travel pro bags not so much.

that's the problem companies go in and out of biz/ or reworked .

sometimes a great product gets reworked and while it continues to carry the name its really nothing like it used to be.... Hmmmmm sounds familiar

I better Karma Cap my self before I even begin... LOL

I must have BIONIC LUGGAGE! :D It was actually a gift for the first cruise I ever went on, and it has been on every one since plus many other trips. It's not even a major brand.. Leisure Luggage (Bon-Ton). It has some scuff and/or dirt marks, but overall I've never had an issue with any cruises Ive been on. Only one issue where an airline yanked out the balancing wire-bar the bottom of one of my pieces. Some of my friends are on their 3-4th set since I've bought mine.

I like the idea of looking into thrift store luggage also. That was a great $$ saving tip.

Edited by wiskt

The spinner type luggage is bad because the wheels stick out and are asking to be broken off. Also, cheap luggage that has the two wheels that are not recessed into the bottom with maybe only a half inch of the wheel showing re not good.

After almost 30 cruises and flying, we've never had much damage to speak of. Ours has just worn out. When we had to replace our large suitcase (the zipper broke) we got one with the spinner wheels, and I've been concerned about the wheels getting broken off; seems to me they would be easier than the old ones to break off, but you can't find the old kind anymore.

If you watch how both the airlines and the cruise lines throw them around, it's a wonder luggage lasts as long as it does.

The wheels on my suitcase weren't broken off, but the outer, rubber parts were all broken and basically fell right off, in pieces, when I wheeled my suitcase into the cabin after it was delivered. This didn't happen at the airport. I thought that happened because it was getting older but is heavy duty and still in excellent shape otherwise. Luckily I was still able to wheel it out doing self disembark and through the airports on the way home. After seeing this thread, I'm beginning to think it's not age of the suitcase (about 10 years old and only used once a year, if that) since this seems to be common and that maybe I should have gone to guest services. Lesson learned.

I had a similar problem with my largest suitcase- the outer part of the rolling wheels cracked and fell off. It still worked, but it left a black streak across any floor that we wheeled it across so we finally tossed it (used it to store stuff for a move then threw it away!).

In this case the suitcase was 10 years old and after the first trip never went on a plane or cruise again. Just driving trips where we were the only ones handling it. It was stored in the garage so my DH figured the heat & cold just weather-checked the wheels. Ever since our suitcases are stored in the closet of our spare room.

My DH and I have been on 11 cruises and numerous land vacations involving the airlines.

We have rolling duffles from LL Bean and have only had minor ripss on one of the bags. The wheels are somewhat recessed and we usually have close to 50 pounds in each.

I feel very lucky after reading some of your experiences!

Walmart luggage is the best! Carnival has in the ticket contract that $50 per bag with a maximum of $100 per cabin is the limit of their liability. Insurance is available if you want higher coverage. The dock workers most likely responsible for any damage to luggage are not Carnival employees and are outside of Carnival's control and responsibility.

We always have to fly to a cruise and I watch the airlines put the luggage so the front is down on the converyer. All luggage has pulls for the zippers that get pulled off in this position. If the zipper pull is essential, I get another one put on and request one as short as possible.

I cringe, too, at the way the porters and cruise line stack the suitcases for efficency in moving them. So far our luggage has arrived without serious damage. I have one Samsonite that has survived well and one smaller Atlantic suitcase that is a good size for a first or second bag that I hope will last forever. I hate it when a favorite suitcase bites the dust, but except for driving to the cruise and rolling smaller bags onto the ship, there is no choice but to hope for the best each trip.

My real concern is always that our suitcases arrive at the airport and at our door on the ship!

We get at least one bad ruined every time we fly in SJU you can almost bet on it , cut , zipper , something . Other than that never an issue anywhere else. Its like oh here they come destroy a bag LOL.

We get at least one bad ruined every time we fly in SJU you can almost bet on it , cut , zipper , something . Other than that never an issue anywhere else. Its like oh here they come destroy a bag LOL.

And they are very good at it.

Found out today our bag has bitten the dust.

Think we will buy some sort of rolling duffle bag with inset wheels for our next cruise. Hopefully Carnival will make good on damage. Firsts time we have gone to the trouble to put in claim and wondering what will happen.

Makes on wonder if anyone ever packs their stuff in cardboard boxes.

We are gradually switching all our luggage to Briggs & Riley brand. Free guaranteed repairs for life, regardless of how the bag was damaged (or by whom). The luggage is expensive but at least this way we only pay for it once.

We are gradually switching all our luggage to Briggs & Riley brand. Free guaranteed repairs for life, regardless of how the bag was damaged (or by whom). The luggage is expensive but at least this way we only pay for it once.

It isn't guaranteed against being lost of stolen. If I was going to spend a lot of money on luggage I would always have insurance for full replacement value.

Anyone else having this problem?

golfadj,

You are not alone! Airlines have been our biggest luggage monster, but a few have succumbed to damage by Carnival or the portside luggage handlers. Years ago all of our bags matched and now the pattern we have is that NONE of our bags match.

We only had one bag damaged this year and it was the last piece remaining from our original matching set. Carnival's damage is normally a wheel or a handle whereas airlines have lost entire corners of our suitcases. I don't mean a rip or tear, I mean entire sections gone.

I watch for good deals on better luggage and buy a piece at a time to replace damaged bags. We also pack an empty bag or two inside other bags just to make sure we have room to bring everything home along with whatever we buy. We now own at least one bag made by all companies that make luggage. :p The only identifying marks are our distinctive red tape and multiple zip tied plastic coated luggage tags. We also make sure we have a roll of duct tape to repair bags at airports or on the ship. :rolleyes:

Buy higher quality luggage.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Casco Bay Kid,

We tried that route too; now we buy 'better quality' but only on sale and only what we need. We gave up on having a matching set long ago. Buying 'High Quality' just made us feel worse when it was mangled. :o

We have one of their bags too; one wheel rolls sideways and one handle is missing. Granted they'll fix it, but it will cost more in freight charges than the bag cost. I can live with a missing handle; gives it character. :D

Carnival gave us a repair order for it and had one of their guys check it out. He tweaked it so the wheel would roll almost straight, but didn't want to attempt the handle repair.

On our next cruise out of Miami I plan to buy another one if they're in stock....trying to remember the name of the place we bought it. It's on fifth about five blocks or so from South Beach in a multi story building with parking garages on both sides. They have great deals on high dollar luggage, but their selection is normally just one size bag of each pattern and no complete sets; kinda like our luggage. :D

golfadj,

You are not alone! Airlines have been our biggest luggage monster, but a few have succumbed to damage by Carnival or the portside luggage handlers. Years ago all of our bags matched and now the pattern we have is that NONE of our bags match.

We only had one bag damaged this year and it was the last piece remaining from our original matching set. Carnival's damage is normally a wheel or a handle whereas airlines have lost entire corners of our suitcases. I don't mean a rip or tear, I mean entire sections gone.

I watch for good deals on better luggage and buy a piece at a time to replace damaged bags. We also pack an empty bag or two inside other bags just to make sure we have room to bring everything home along with whatever we buy. We now own at least one bag made by all companies that make luggage. :p The only identifying marks are our distinctive red tape and multiple zip tied plastic coated luggage tags. We also make sure we have a roll of duct tape to repair bags at airports or on the ship. :rolleyes:

Duct tape is my friend. A roll goes with me for suitcase repairs as well as for taping cabin doors or drawers during rough seas:)

Never had a single issue with luggage, but I have a 4X8" patch sewn on the back of all my luggage. Only once had a bag on the wrong plane, but it got to me that night... However nearly 100% of the time I get the TSA Letter my luggage was searched "randomly"

The patch: air_america_weapon_systems_color.jpg

My wife and I get that letter from TSA quite a bit as well, and last time, someone whom I hope was a lady helped themselves to the five finger discount on some of my wife's clothing.

Duct tape is my friend. A roll goes with me for suitcase repairs as well as for taping cabin doors or drawers during rough seas:)

Never travel without a roll. DH calls me "McGyver!" He doesn't laugh so loud when I pull out my duct tape to repair a tear in luggage, hold up a hem that came down, etc.!:D As far as luggage goes, I love my Samsonite rolling duffles. We had bought 12 rolling duffle bag pieces (from carry-ons to 32" ones in red - before red was a popular color) when we got married. (my mom always said to invest in good luggage - so we did!) After 31 years of heavy travel and cruises, 4 carryons, 2 29" duffles and one 32" one are still with us. That is 7 out of 12 pieces- not too bad. The replacement luggage I bought has not held up as well - had to replace a few of them already, after 1 year.

Yes, so you can really cry when its shredded. No thanks. I'd rather go cheap and just replace as needed.

Someone on the ship told us that Samsonite will repair/replace for life of luggage no matter how or why it was damaged.

First store we went to showed us how wrong that was.

Luggage with wheels sticking out unfortunately is not suited to how luggage is mishandled.

Someone on the ship told us that Samsonite will repair/replace for life of luggage no matter how or why it was damaged.

First store we went to showed us how wrong that was.

Luggage with wheels sticking out unfortunately is not suited to how luggage is mishandled.

The companies that put out a guarantee like that are pretty safe saying it. Once you pay to send it away and wait for it to return, is quite a deterrant.

Walmart luggage is the best! Carnival has in the ticket contract that $50 per bag with a maximum of $100 per cabin is the limit of their liability. Insurance is available if you want higher coverage. The dock workers most likely responsible for any damage to luggage are not Carnival employees and are outside of Carnival's control and responsibility.

Should we conclude that one can never get Carnival to pay up because they blame the porters who are not Carnival employees, so pax can't get satisfaction?

In any case, I guess cruisers are well advised to buy luggage worth less than $50 per bag, at least...