Alcohol as souvenir

This is my second cruise and before the first one my fiance and I decided for souvenirs from each port we would get alcohol from that country, if they dont distille it there they probably have someone that blends it so. We buy a botlle, or 2 or 3 or 4, and write the location and date in a sparkly sharpie. On the Breeze last Dec we got something from Turks and Caicos, Appleton in Jamaica and Nassau Royale in the Bahamas. This trip is the Valor which hits 5 island's besided San Juan. So far this is my list of possible contenders

SAN JUAN

Bacardi Reserve Limited

ST THOMAS

Black Beards Castle Old

BARBADOS

Mount Gay

ST LUCIA

Chairmans Reserve Forgotten Cask

Casteries Creme

ST KITTS

Belmont Estate Rum

Cane Spirit Ritchmont

ST MARTIN

Guavaberry

Sint Maarten Island Vanilla

Is there anything you would add to my list? Anything island exclusive that you think would make an excellent souvenir?

Just remember that US Customs has limits on how much you can bring back. And, if you're flying home, you cannot carry it onto the plane with you.

Yes and no

Inbound international flights

You may now carry liquids more than 100 mL in your carry-on bag if:

You are traveling internationally into the United States with a connecting flight;

they are in transparent containers;

you bought them at a duty-free shop, and

the store packed them in a secure, tamper-evident bag.

If your liquids are not in a secure, tamper-evident bag, you must pack them in your checked bag.

If the liquids alarm during screening, we will need to screen them further.

Latest revision: 24 June 2014

I've have no problem getting them back. Last 8 vacations, one of which was a cruise, we bought around 10 liters and claimed them on the forms and no one said anything. We also fly Southwest just for the luggage allowance. Between flying and shipping from San Juan, getting things back is no problem.

This is my second cruise and before the first one my fiance and I decided for souvenirs from each port we would get alcohol from that country, if they dont distille it there they probably have someone that blends it so. We buy a botlle, or 2 or 3 or 4, and write the location and date in a sparkly sharpie. On the Breeze last Dec we got something from Turks and Caicos, Appleton in Jamaica and Nassau Royale in the Bahamas. This trip is the Valor which hits 5 island's besided San Juan. So far this is my list of possible contenders

SAN JUAN

Bacardi Reserve Limited

You can probably do better than Bacardi. But since it is the distillery (take the tour) and their gift shop may have even more exotic Bacardi rums.

ST THOMAS

Black Beards Castle Old

St Thomas has probably the best variety of rums in the Caribbean. Cruzan is based in St. Croix. It is ridiculosly cheap. But you should be able to find some interesting stuff.

BARBADOS

Mount Gay

Better bet (based on my personal experience is Malibu, particularly the Lime flavor (mix with Grapefruit juice)

ST LUCIA

Chairmans Reserve Forgotten Cask

Casteries Creme

ST KITTS

Belmont Estate Rum

Cane Spirit Ritchmont

Cane Spirit Rothschild. Absolutely the smoothest (also referred to as Cane Sugar Rum) Clear Rum. Really good in a Cuba Libre.

ST MARTIN

Guavaberry

Sint Maarten Island Vanilla

Guavaberry is unique, but I find it a little harsh.

Is there anything you would add to my list? Anything island exclusive that you think would make an excellent souvenir?
Actually, just about every port has a liquor store where you can sample some. Particularly if they realize that you are going to buy. Stop in, taste and get something good.

My son gave me the list of rums to bring from Carribeans. I checked our store "BevMo" (beverages and more) and they carried all those imported rums. Instead of lugging heavy glass bottles we bought some of them locally. As we didn't venture far away from the ports, we checked the prices there too. Almost the same. We had weight-free vacations, and our son is happy with the "souvenirs" :D

On my latest trip in the area I picked up a couple bottles of RMA, Ron Medellin Anejo, rum. I gave one bottle to a couple friends of mine, I don't know if they opened it. I don't know if I'll open my remaining bottle or not. Of course if I do then I'll just have to schedule another cruise to replace it.:D

My son gave me the list of rums to bring from Carribeans. I checked our store "BevMo" (beverages and more) and they carried all those imported rums. Instead of lugging heavy glass bottles we bought some of them locally. As we didn't venture far away from the ports, we checked the prices there too. Almost the same. We had weight-free vacations, and our son is happy with the "souvenirs" :D

We do the same thing now days with luggage weight limits. We only buy something we can get at home when it comes to liquor.

I have found shopping at home, I sometimes fine nice soaps, chocolates and other speciality items I can buy and put away to give as gifts after I return home. Besides saving weight, I am also saving dollars, since I purchased in US$ (vs euros if I buy abroad).

We do the same thing now days with luggage weight limits. We only buy something we can get at home when it comes to liquor.

I have found shopping at home, I sometimes fine nice soaps, chocolates and other speciality items I can buy and put away to give as gifts after I return home. Besides saving weight, I am also saving dollars, since I purchased in US$ (vs euros if I buy abroad).

You are in San Mateo? I live in San Francisco. Check out BevMo for rums and other alcohol, good prices and frequent sales.

On my latest trip in the area I picked up a couple bottles of RMA, Ron Medellin Anejo, rum. I gave one bottle to a couple friends of mine, I don't know if they opened it. I don't know if I'll open my remaining bottle or not. Of course if I do then I'll just have to schedule another cruise to replace it.:D

Where did you get this at? I'm trying to figure out which items to buy at each port. Rum is my personal favorite to buy in the Caribbean.

You can probably do better than Bacardi. But since it is the distillery (take the tour) and their gift shop may have even more exotic Bacardi rums.

Thank you so much!!!! Your reply was exactly what i was looking for. If you think of anything else, I would be very appreciative.

Pretty much the only souvenir we buy on vacation is alcohol. The bottles are pretty. It's fun to drink. And I like to find things my local store don't have. We usually have a good memory of each place we buy them at and tell the story when we finally open a bottle. The bottle of Nassau Royal we bought at the Graycliff Hotel in the Bahamas that looked right out of an old James Bond movie. Sat at the bar for 3 hours talking politics with the bartender, getting drunk on her "light" rum punch. Best day of that vacation and whenever we just look at THAT BOTTLE we remember the whole trip and how much fun it was.

Where did you get this at? I'm trying to figure out which items to buy at each port. Rum is my personal favorite to buy in the Caribbean.

I got it in Cartagena Columbia on my Panama Canal cruise. This may be a bit South of where you're going, but it may be sold in liquor stores on some of the Southern Caribbean islands you might be visiting.

Edited by Treven