Ft. Lauderdale - Areas other than 17th Street?

elycelynne

I was wondering what other hotels in other areas of Ft. Lauderdale are walkable to restaurants (nothing fancy) and somewhere to pick up a 12-pack of pop before a cruise? (I have the "shuttle list" from sunny.org, so I would consider hotels in other areas where cabs from the airport and to Port Everglades might otherwise be too pricey if they did have shuttles.)

I guess the areas I'm looking at would be the airport area (which I assume include both Hollywood and Dania), Weston, Sunrise (Sawgrass) and anywhere else that would be considered a safe neighborhood for walking.

The 17th Street area hotels look to be a bit more than I want to pay this time around, which is why I'm asking about other areas/neighborhoods.

Thanks!

I was wondering what other hotels in other areas of Ft. Lauderdale are walkable to restaurants (nothing fancy) and somewhere to pick up a 12-pack of pop before a cruise? (I have the "shuttle list" from sunny.org, so I would consider hotels in other areas where cabs from the airport and to Port Everglades might otherwise be too pricey if they did have shuttles.)

I guess the areas I'm looking at would be the airport area (which I assume include both Hollywood and Dania), Weston, Sunrise (Sawgrass) and anywhere else that would be considered a safe neighborhood for walking.

The 17th Street area hotels look to be a bit more than I want to pay this time around, which is why I'm asking about other areas/neighborhoods.

Thanks!

You can find some cheaper hotels in the 17th Street area. Many don't have shuttle to the port or airport also restaurants can be scarce near them.

Thank you.

I was asking for specifics from people who might either be from the area or who have stayed at hotels in some of the more "outlying" areas that had close, walkable access to restaurants and any place to pick up my 12-pack of pop.

I forgot about another area -- Plantation.

Thank you.

I was asking for specifics from people who might either be from the area or who have stayed at hotels in some of the more "outlying" areas that had close, walkable access to restaurants and any place to pick up my 12-pack of pop.

I forgot about another area -- Plantation.

I don't consider Plantation walkable.

Las Olas is walkable but expensive.

Are you gay? Wilton Manors has some amazing little B&Bs and WM is definitely walkable.

The area where the Doubletree Gallery One is also walkable.

Lauderdale-By-The-Sea has some amazing mom and pop boutique motels that are really cool and reasonably priced.

I don't consider Plantation walkable.

Las Olas is walkable but expensive.

Are you gay? Wilton Manors has some amazing little B&Bs and WM is definitely walkable.

The area where the Doubletree Gallery One is also walkable.

Lauderdale-By-The-Sea has some amazing mom and pop boutique motels that are really cool and reasonably priced.

No, not gay. I guess Wilton Manors would be out.

Is the Doubletree Gallery One the hotel that's right by the water taxi stop?

What about Weston and Sawgrass? Are those walkable?

I once stayed at the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road which, if I remember correctly, is considered Hollywood. It was quite a schlep to the closest restaurant that wasn't fast food (Moonlight Diner). I'm aware that there are more restaurants farther down. Are there hotels around that area? Also, is Dania walkable?

Thanks for your feedback!

No, not gay. I guess Wilton Manors would be out.

Is the Doubletree Gallery One the hotel that's right by the water taxi stop?

What about Weston and Sawgrass? Are those walkable?

I once stayed at the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road which, if I remember correctly, is considered Hollywood. It was quite a schlep to the closest restaurant that wasn't fast food (Moonlight Diner). I'm aware that there are more restaurants farther down. Are there hotels around that area? Also, is Dania walkable?

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi Elyce, yes, Hollywood is sort of a suburb of Ft. Ldle with alot

of residental areas as well as touristy areas.

As for Weston and Sawgrass....not sure if you realize how far west

both these places are....Hollywood is EAST...the beaches are right

there. Weston and Sawgrass? Both are quite west...at least 25

minutes away from the port (by car)...depending on traffic.

Walkable to what? From your hotel to restaurants?

The Doubletree Galleria....nice hotel and GREAT location. Yes, it

is on the water taxi route....actually it is a pick up/drop off point.

The hotel is attached to the Galleria Mall.....nice mall with some

good restaurants:D I would stay there before ever looking at

Sawgrass/Weston.

I would make the suggestion of booking Sleep Inn, Dania. They have complimentary airport shuttle, breakfast, $5 port shuttle. There is a Publix across the road as well as a Dolllar store, 3 eating places and also a Walgreens beside it.Also a nice pool area with seating.

We have stayed there 3 times and would book again.

We are interested in bar hopping in Wilton Manors. Would it be best to take taxis from 17th St. area for 1 or 2 nights or stay up there?

Westin and W hotels are very close to Ft Lauderdale's gay beach. That would give you a real hotel experience AND would be closer to Wilton Dr. Wilton Manors only has guest house type lodging.

Edited by royalcruz

We are interested in bar hopping in Wilton Manors. Would it be best to take taxis from 17th St. area for 1 or 2 nights or stay up there?
!

There are a bunch of gay resorts in Wilton Manors.

Don't miss going to Bills. It is sort of the center. Lots of other fun bars in the Manor!

Getting back to the original subject matter:

How much would cabs be from the airport to the Doubletree Galleria One and from the hotel to the farther end of Port Everglades (Holland America's berths are usually pretty far)? This hotel appears to be a lot farther from both the airport and Port Everglades than the 17th Street locations are.

How much would cabs be from the airport to the Doubletree Galleria One and from the hotel to the farther end of Port Everglades (Holland America's berths are usually pretty far)? This hotel appears to be a lot farther from both the airport and Port Everglades than the 17th Street locations are.

Hi Elyce...probably 20.00 or so....it is further away than 17th Street.

As for "alot further"? Well, to be totally honest with you all the areas

are futher away....no hotels are as close to the port as those on 17th;)

Looking at a map the Gallery One area does seem farther. But really the city is pretty compact. The airport looks "pretty far" from the port but in reality only 15 min. For where I live a 15 min. drive anywhere is a hop, skip and a jump. ;)

The Gallery One is a good choice. . Would much rather be there than in Dania. Give us some water to look at...if not beach, the intracoastal will do.

About $25 per ride. Gallery One is about 4 miles from the port area.

Thanks!

I have stayed several times at the Hampton Cruiseport North on 12th. Nice place, a. Winn Dixie, several fast food restaurant s, couple sit down and they offer shuttle to nearby restaurant s.

I've been using the website Taxi Fare Finder to get some very rough estimates of costs in Ft. Lauderdale. I wonder how accurate it is?

I just checked it. You can usually expect their "heavy traffic" fares to be the most accurate, though it might come up less than that. Also add up to $5 for Port Everglades dropoffs (compared what the website says against what travelers are reporting as avg).

Edited by royalcruz