Got wine?

sunsetme

Are you kidding? My carry-on is heavy enough; I don't need to bring coals to Newcastle. Let the longshoremen do all that heavy lifting. In turn, I graciously enable Princess to make a profit off the bottles I then order from them. This system has worked flawlessly for me so far.

I'll look for something affordable but still good at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. It helps for it to have a screwcap--both for ease of opening and for keeping the leftovers. Generally it's a shiraz or merlot. Before the new limits were enforced, we used to buy a good box of wine for our in-cabin consumption. Now a couple of bottles will do since we will enjoy a drink at the Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail hours.

I'll look for something affordable but still good at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. It helps for it to have a screwcap--both for ease of opening and for keeping the leftovers. Generally it's a shiraz or merlot. Before the new limits were enforced, we used to buy a good box of wine for our in-cabin consumption. Now a couple of bottles will do since we will enjoy a drink at the Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail hours.

This is the first I am hearing about Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail hours. We are in a full suite. What is the info on this?

We are bringing local wines from our port, so in our case Washington wines. I am excited to pick some I have not had before although I have considered bringing a fruity and light old standby.

You can bring aboard in your carryon luggage more than two bottles and in fact we brought on 8 for a 10 day cruise. We have a special 6 bottle wine carrier and put two in the roll on luggage. We paid a $15 corking fee for 6 of the bottles - two are allowed on free but have to be consumed in your state room or you will have to pay $15/bottle to take them to a bar or food venue (i.e. MDR etc).

We tend to favor white particularly pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc or reisling and some of the blends. We generally take on a mix though with merlot, pinot noir, malbec for a change. We have always consumed them on our balcony and have never taken them outside the cabin. They sell really nice reusable wine bottle stoppers that we bring along with a couple cork screws. So screw top (usually on white wines or cheap red wines) bottles are great but not that important. We have the room steward get us two wine glasses which they change every day and keep the wine in the refrigerator after removing the standard expensive goodies (we tell the room steward that we removed them).

This is the first I am hearing about Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail hours. We are in a full suite. What is the info on this?
You should receive a card in your suite letting you know when and where the event will take place. On our recent cruises, it's been in Skywalkers from 5 until 7 each night except the second formal night (when they have the past-passenger party). They always have cheese and crackers and vegetables and dip. In addition, there's a specialty item each night being served by a chef--smoked salmon, guacamole, sushi, etc. There's a drink of the day available for purchase at a special price, or you can order whatever you want at the regular price. (The card you receive will let you know what the special menu item and drink of the day will be for each day of your cruise.) It's a nice relaxing time to grab a bit before dinner and to chat with people we've met--or just to relax and enjoy the view by ourselves.

We purchased three bottles of wine for our 15 day Panama Canal cruise in May. We did expect to pay the $15 corkage fee for the third bottle, but when we went through Princess security nothing was said, so we lucked out.

We also purchased two twelve packs of Coke which we then secured in a box from Publix put a Princess luggage tag on it, gave it to the porter with a tip, , which was then delivered to our cabin.

I still think that for a cruise that is longer that 7 days you should be allowed to bring more wine with you.

You can bring aboard in your carryon luggage more than two bottles and in fact we brought on 8 for a 10 day cruise. We have a special 6 bottle wine carrier and put two in the roll on luggage. We paid a $15 corking fee for 6 of the bottles - two are allowed on free but have to be consumed in your state room or you will have to pay $15/bottle to take them to a bar or food venue (i.e. MDR etc).

We tend to favor white particularly pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc or reisling and some of the blends. We generally take on a mix though with merlot, pinot noir, malbec for a change. We have always consumed them on our balcony and have never taken them outside the cabin. They sell really nice reusable wine bottle stoppers that we bring along with a couple cork screws. So screw top (usually on white wines or cheap red wines) bottles are great but not that important. We have the room steward get us two wine glasses which they change every day and keep the wine in the refrigerator after removing the standard expensive goodies (we tell the room steward that we removed them).

These days there are some very nice wines sold with a screw top. My sister-in-law lives in the California wine country and has become somewhat of a wine snob and she has blown us away with a few screw-top wines. It's no longer just Thunderbird or Annie Green Springs that come with a screw top!

These days there are some very nice wines sold with a screw top. My sister-in-law lives in the California wine country and has become somewhat of a wine snob and she has blown us away with a few screw-top wines. It's no longer just Thunderbird or Annie Green Springs that come with a screw top!

This is so true, about the screw-top wines!!!

This is so true, about the screw-top wines!!!

Spent 3 months this past winter in Australia, New Zealand, and So Africa. All they have are screw tops in every price category. No corks at all. No worries about wine being corked or the expense of procuring cork. It is definitely the wave of the future.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just bring a box of fine wine in your checked luggage. I have never had a problem with 3 different cruise lines, including Princess. One box is usually equivalent to 4 bottles of wine. I usually sit the box of red wine on the cabin shelf, in full view of the room steward. It will last many days. I am not sure what the x-ray scan shows, but, I am sure that it will not look like a wine bottle.

I also make sure that I have a red wine glass ready for dinner every night. You may have seen me walking to dinner holding my glass of wine. I get a really good pour in my room, as opposed to just 6oz or 8oz at the bar. One glass of wine for dinner, whatever the size, and I am done.

The hardest part is getting the glasses everyday. Ask the room steward, and then pick up a few glasses yourself in the wine tasting area. It is so simple. I am NOT talking about a box of Franzia wine, or white wine which may need to be chilled. There are decent wines sold in a box. Try them at home first!

And remember to tip the box,...to get the final glass or two! When you think it's empty, there is more.... .. .. (:>

Just off the Star out of Alaska. I took a total of 5 bottles for the 11 day cruise and I feel that was just about the perfect amount. I declared 3 bottle one of was a BV 2006 George De Latour, which gave the guys checking the wine fits. The bottle is thicker and a bit larger than a normal bottle. Took them some time to find the 750ml marking. I also did both of the on board wine tasting events and had one free bottle from our TA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just bring a box of fine wine in your checked luggage. I have never had a problem with 3 different cruise lines, including Princess. One box is usually equivalent to 4 bottles of wine. I usually sit the box of red wine on the cabin shelf, in full view of the room steward. It will last many days. I am not sure what the x-ray scan shows, but, I am sure that it will not look like a wine bottle.

I also make sure that I have a red wine glass ready for dinner every night. You may have seen me walking to dinner holding my glass of wine. I get a really good pour in my room, as opposed to just 6oz or 8oz at the bar. One glass of wine for dinner, whatever the size, and I am done.

The hardest part is getting the glasses everyday. Ask the room steward, and then pick up a few glasses yourself in the wine tasting area. It is so simple. I am NOT talking about a box of Franzia wine, or white wine which may need to be chilled. There are decent wines sold in a box. Try them at home first!

And remember to tip the box,...to get the final glass or two! When you think it's empty, there is more.... .. .. (:>

Not true in our experience. Box wines are picked up on x-ray; have no clue what was seen by scanning.

The content of the box did not matter; if it was Franzia or something else.

All were identified and we paid the fee for the full amount based on the average one bottle of wine vs box volume.

We will not do that again for sure!

I love the Bota Box reds. Not a fan of their moscato but I love that they have a 3 glass sized box for under $5! Fits in the fridge great. And easy to travel or camp with.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Mrs.Gosse

Spent 3 months this past winter in Australia, New Zealand, and So Africa. All they have are screw tops in every price category. No corks at all. No worries about wine being corked or the expense of procuring cork. It is definitely the wave of the future.

I generally always find a few really nice New Zealand Marlborough (region) Savignon Blancs in our local wine markets and I love the twist off tops. They are generally always my first choice even when we're not traveling.

Every March we go to the Russian River Barrel Tasting in Sonoma and buy wine futures. We taste the wine in the barrel and buy the ones we like at that time. When they are bottled we either pick them up the following year or have them shipped to our home. Over the years we have built up a nice celler of wines at a 30% to 50% discount of off list price.

Both this last January and a couple of years ago we have taken full cases of wine on board, once in San Pedro and at Ft. Lauderdale. I just taped a luggage tag on them and they were promtly brought to our cabin. Most of the bottles we took to dinner and paid the $15 corkage. It's nice to have a great bottle of wine at dinner at a reasonable price.

Every March we go to the Russian River Barrel Tasting in Sonoma and buy wine futures. We taste the wine in the barrel and buy the ones we like at that time. When they are bottled we either pick them up the following year or have them shipped to our home. Over the years we have built up a nice celler of wines at a 30% to 50% discount of off list price.

Both this last January and a couple of years ago we have taken full cases of wine on board, once in San Pedro and at Ft. Lauderdale. I just taped a luggage tag on them and they were promtly brought to our cabin. Most of the bottles we took to dinner and paid the $15 corkage. It's nice to have a great bottle of wine at dinner at a reasonable price.

Ok now tell me how you got a case of wine from California to Florida, did you drive?

"Ok now tell me how you got a case of wine from California to Florida, did you drive? "

We saved the boxes when we have wine shipped from Sonoma to our house in Long Beach. They have styrofoam inserts to protect the wine. We took a non-stop flight from LAX to MIA, and checked the case of wine in as baggage (first bag free). The check-in at the airline did not take the case but tagged it for the flight and had us take it to the TSA office located at the end of their counter for inspection. The case arrived with the other baggage OK. It had been opened and inspected by the TSA as they left a notice in it.

The dock workers at the port took the case and loaded it in with the other baggage to go onto the ship.

"Ok now tell me how you got a case of wine from California to Florida, did you drive? "

We saved the boxes when we have wine shipped from Sonoma to our house in Long Beach. They have styrofoam inserts to protect the wine. We took a non-stop flight from LAX to MIA, and checked the case of wine in as baggage (first bag free). The check-in at the airline did not take the case but tagged it for the flight and had us take it to the TSA office located at the end of their counter for inspection. The case arrived with the other baggage OK. It had been opened and inspected by the TSA as they left a notice in it.

The dock workers at the port took the case and loaded it in with the other baggage to go onto the ship.

wow very impressed!

I've spoken with people at good wineries who complained that people want "real" corks in their wine. The folks at the winery said the artificial "corks" sealed and preserved the wine better and, of course never left a "corky" taste in wine.

As for the corking of wine at all... There was originally an excellent reason for using corks. Screw tops hadn't been invented...

So true! About the corks! I have family in the wine business and given the explosion of wine being produced around the globe today and the number of cork trees being finite other solutions were and are being developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk