Anyone here use the US Global Entry program coming back through customs?

txflood33

Global entry has nothing to do with customs - it expedites entry. When we used it recently, we still needed to turn in our customs forms. You are just as likely to be called aside for inspection of your luggage as anyone else.

It is a great time saver for re-entering the US from overseas - but even more valuable in my mind is the "trusted traveller" aspect for letting you go through expedited TSA checks when flying anywhere. I would estimate that it's worth close to half an hour saved when flying out of any New York airport.

The person I was responding to wrote, and I quote, "You still have to go through the same customs procedure with or without GE." I am correctly saying that this is not true. While you still need to claim what you bring in, you do not need to fill in the blue customs form. If you are filling out a blue customs form for arrival in to the US, you are wasting your time - it's not necessary. In that regard, Global Entry does create a small difference in customs, in addition to the more obvious differences in immigration.

From US CBP Website: As a Global Entry member, you must declare all goods you bring into the United States by answering the customs declaration questions at the Global Entry electronic kiosk. You do not have to complete the paper customs declaration form before arrival.

NOT TRUE. You will most certainly have your passport checked at the port in Italy when you get off the ship.

That is interesting because they do not in Spain nor did they for those that debarked in Italy. But like I said, that was the Western Med where we ported in countries subject to the Schengren Agreement. I realized after I posted that he may be on the eastern route :)

Sent from my LT28at using Forums mobile app

That is interesting because they do not in Spain nor did they for those that debarked in Italy. But like I said, that was the Western Med where we ported in countries subject to the Schengren Agreement. I realized after I posted that he may be on the eastern route :)

Sent from my LT28at using Forums mobile app

Not all countries in the Eastern Med are Schengen. If the western route visits Morocco, that is also not Schengen.

The person I was responding to wrote, and I quote, "You still have to go through the same customs procedure with or without GE." I am correctly saying that this is not true. While you still need to claim what you bring in, you do not need to fill in the blue customs form. If you are filling out a blue customs form for arrival in to the US, you are wasting your time - it's not necessary. In that regard, Global Entry does create a small difference in customs, in addition to the more obvious differences in immigration.

From US CBP Website: As a Global Entry member, you must declare all goods you bring into the United States by answering the customs declaration questions at the Global Entry electronic kiosk. You do not have to complete the paper customs declaration form before arrival.

A distinction without a difference - you do still have to go through the same customs procedure - the distinction is that the customs information you provide is on the kiosk-generated slip (which you fill out at the kiosk) rather than on the blue form. You provide the same customs information, after going through the expedited immigration process.

I have it for work but rarely fly international...mainly have it for the TSA precheck....but it was the same price for the global

Anyone use it? Is it as easy and painless as they say?

It's easy as painless as long as you get the back of the slip of paper stamped before you show up at the customs door!! (Missed that step the first time :eek: ).

We are doing eastern Med...Rome to Santorini to Istanbul to Ephesus to Mykonos to Athens to Naples to Rome

I would be truly surprised...now that I think about it...if Italy would let all those people back in without asking for declarations

fruits/veggies/plants...all can affect an ecosystem

You get asked, you're just answering boxes on a kiosk, which if answered appropriately gives you a speed pass slip of paper.

GE saved us 3 hours at LAX coming back from Australia, and about 2 hours in Newark coming home from London. Best money we ever spent.

We also benefit greatly from the TSA pre benefits when we travel domestically. The security process is just so much easier and quicker.

GE covers both Immigration AND Customs when coming back. You put your passport on the terminal, do your fingerprint, answer the few questions. You get usually get the "pass" paper and you just walk through the exit line and give the officer your receipt. Sometimes you'll get an "X" or an "O" and you'll have to go see an officer.

Another perk is the "front of the line" feature: (from the GE website)

" The head-of-the-line privilege is reserved for program members if the kiosks are out of service, if a member gets referred to a CBP officer, and at the exit points."

And, lastly, GE enters you into the TSA Pre-Check lottery…

It IS so nice to get the easy TSA dog-and-pony check, and then breeze past everyone at the airport when coming back from an international trip :D

Global entry has nothing to do with customs - it expedites entry. When we used it recently, we still needed to turn in our customs forms.
No, that's not correct. You don't need to turn in "customs forms" if you're using the GE kiosk.

You are just as likely to be called aside for inspection of your luggage as anyone else.
"Just as likely"? I'd dispute that. But it's certainly possible to be inspected.

I always fill out the customs form just like I always print a paper boarding pass. Computers can and do go down or have a problem reading things. My first time using GOES the kiosk wouldn't work for me. I had to be manually processed in (took only a couple extra minutes). Turns out that I was one of the 200 people who had done the interview and fingerprints at MCO that were part of a computer glitch and had to be reprinted.

No, that's not correct. You don't need to turn in "customs forms" if you're using the GE kiosk.

What do you want to call the slip that you get from the GOES kiosk that has the required customs information which you input?

It is a piece of paper which has the same customs information which needs to be submitted on the blue form by people who are not part of GOES.

I've never signed up for anything, but the last 4 or 5 times I have flown RT Seattle-San Diego, I always get TSA precheck in both directions. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I just got it RT DFW-Orlando this weekend. Strange if it's supposed to be "random." Never had it before. Nice to just walk thru without taking off shoes, etc. Did have to put my carry-on thru the screener of course.

Another "plus" of having the GE card: a better form of ID to show when asked for ID. It is a government-issued ID, but it does NOT have the additional personal information for prying eyes (no address)… I use it all the time as my ID at TSA checkpoints. Once, a clerk said it wasn't a valid ID - he needed to see my DL. I had to "educate" the clerk that the GE card was indeed valid and is actually listed on their "valid ID" sheet (it's something like #7 on the list).