Caribbean/Europe????

karinad

Does anyone feel like this? We started our cruising adventures back in 2001 with a 7 day Europe Cruise. We were hooked and seen many different countries on different cruises. We've also been on quite a few Caribbean cruises and have seen most of the Caribbean islands that can be seen by a cruise ship. The past few years (except for 2013) our once a yr. cruise was spent in the Caribbean because we didn't have the strength and "want" to travel to Europe. Our daughter died suddenly in 2009 and we just needed rest and the peace of the Caribbean.

Last year was the first yr. since our tragedy that I felt like planning and travelling to Europe. We had a great cruise on a Northern Europe cruise and it put some life and love of travelling back in me.

We are currently booked on the NCL Gem for Oct. It's our 40th Wedding Anniversary and I'm just not satisfied with going to the Caribbean. I feel like "been there, done that" and I keep looking at the Med/Europe cruises. DH doesn't feel the same way. The Gem goes from NY and we don't have to fly, no hassle, has many sea days and is less expensive then Europe. I'm not seeing any great deals for Europe.

I guess I feel like I'm wasting money going to the Caribbean again when there's so many places in Europe, etc., that we haven't seen, plus, we're not getting any younger. Of course, money is always an issue and you do spend more money in Europe then the Caribbean.

Does anyone feel the same about this that I do? Believe me, I feel lucky that we could even be able to afford a cruise with the way the economy is!

Karina, you may have mentioned your loss on the boards before; I'm not really sure, but please accept my condolences. I can't think of anything harder than losing a child.

Our Med cruise was our most expensive ever, of course. Flights, hotels, the cruise itself plus excursions set us back over $10,000 - but it was worth it. The day we spent in Santorini, Greece was the highlight of my life. I'm sure we'll get back to Europe one day, but my gosh, it's expensive (especially flying from western Canada).

Would you consider a land vacation? You don't have to cruise. What about a bus tour? Yikes, now I sound like my own parents... didn't everyone's parents travel Europe on a bus? :D:p:D I do like cruising because it gives you a taste of each port and lets you know where you might like to go back one day, plus let's face it, you come home every night and you only have to unpack once. ;)

Personally, I don't think any cruise is wasted. Umm.. I respect your feelings though. We are blessed to cruise and as I battled cancer last year (and won!), I dreamt of cruising again one day...

You know what's best for you.

God bless.

Karina, you may have mentioned your loss on the boards before; I'm not really sure, but please accept my condolences. I can't think of anything harder than losing a child.

Our Med cruise was our most expensive ever, of course. Flights, hotels, the cruise itself plus excursions set us back over $10,000 - but it was worth it. The day we spent in Santorini, Greece was the highlight of my life. I'm sure we'll get back to Europe one day, but my gosh, it's expensive (especially flying from western Canada).

Would you consider a land vacation? You don't have to cruise. What about a bus tour? Yikes, now I sound like my own parents... didn't everyone's parents travel Europe on a bus? :D:p:D I do like cruising because it gives you a taste of each port and lets you know where you might like to go back one day, plus let's face it, you come home every night and you only have to unpack once. ;)

Personally, I don't think any cruise is wasted. Umm.. I respect your feelings though. We are blessed to cruise and as I battled cancer last year (and won!), I dreamt of cruising again one day...

God bless.

Thank you and God bless you for winning your battle with cancer! Yes, I'm sure I did mention her death before on these boards. Maybe one day I'll believe it if I write it enough. We all have our crosses to carry and it's good that we could look forward to leaving our life at home for a couple weeks a yr.

We used to only do land vacations until we discovered cruising. Now, if it's not a cruise, it isn't a vacation. When you start adding up the cost of hotels, eating, etc., you can't beat it. I don't have to convince anyone here how economical it is.

For sure, Europe is expensive! Last yr. we used airline miles for the flights and hotel points for post-cruise, plus, the cost of a 12 day cruise for $2000. for the 2 of us in a balcony, couldn't afford not to go!

Have you looked at any trans-Atlantic cruises? My brother and his wife are doing one in October on a Royal Caribbean ship. I think it's the Oasis of the Seas. They'll have four days in England before getting on the ship. I think it makes just one stop in Spain before they'll get eight days at sea. They're like me--love being on a cruise ship and enjoy the days at sea.

We have cruised all over the world (6 Continents) and done Transatlantics, Transpacifics, and just about trans anything else :). And yes, we feel blessed to have had such an exciting travel life (on both land and sea). But even after having been to all those wonderful places around the earth, we still like to book a 14 day Caribbean cruise every year. We absolutely do not feel like we are "wasting money" by going to the Caribbean. DW and I love cruising those waters, have our favorite beaches on nearly every island, look forward to doing some good snorkeling, and love being in a part of the world where everyday is relaxing with no long port days. We recently completed a 25 day TA/Europe cruise and will be taking a 38 day Transpacific cruise (to NZ) in the fall. And yes, we have also booked our beloved 14 day Caribbean day. It is not a waste of money if you enjoy :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes, I have looked at the TA's but dh is not a fan of doing the crossing, although, we did a trans-pacific. It was a little bouncy, but we didn't mind it. The TA is also a good way to save on miles. I seen a good itinerary for next yr.

I guess I do have to get over that feeling of wasting time and money with only going to the Caribbean. You are right that it isn't a waste. I guess it's what your needs are at that time. Maybe it's just the feeling in me that I was "dead" inside for a few yrs. and just waking up again or hearing my Aunt Mary saying, "go while your young and don't worry about the money!" I wish we did have the money to do both Europe & Caribbean each year. I don't think we ever will, but, I am grateful to be able to do one.

I'm on the opposite side of the pond and the Med is much easier for me. I'm revisiting some places this year, but happy to have new ports to go to as well. I've done the west coast US, and am booked for my first (Western) Caribbean cruise in October. My top 10 cruises to do include Alaska, Hawaii, East Coast US & N, E& S Caribbean amongst others - I've got a plan to tick off all the US states (currently at 6 + DC :) ). But I've also got the Red & Black seas closer to home & a few random ports like Santorini that I haven't managed yet. I love getting the brochures and checking out all the itineraries there are - I don't have enough holidays a year to do them all, but maybe one day. For now I'm just enjoying the ones I have planned, but always thinking which I'll do next. Planning is half the fun and it's the one part that doesn't cost anything :D Hopefully I'll never get to the point where I take it for granted how lucky I am.

A little bit. We have cruise in the Caribbean often to get some respite from our cold winters, Now that we have retired we have traded Thailand and SE Asia for a Caribbean vacation-despite the incredibly long flight for us. But we plan spend several months there and work our way down to Singapore.

We have found Med. cruise prices to be much higher than they were over the past two years. So we are planning a med land vacation-Sicily, Malta and then somewhere else. We have our eye on a cruise and our schedule will permit us to be flexible. For us, after July 22 puts us in the cancellation window. If prices start to go down we may book. If not we will simply carry on with the tour...perhaps some Greek Island or Sardinia.

So many places to go with so little money and time! We were lucky enough to make the long plane trip from the East Coast to Tahiti in the late 90's. We stayed at a Club Med in Bora Bora for a week. I'm pretty sure we won't make that trip again! It was the most beautiful place, IMO, that we'll ever see! The plane ride was brutal!

I do understand what you are saying. We have family in Europe so usually travel there once a year. I love the European cruises but they are much more expensive for us. They are also what I call adventure vacations. That means a lot more planning and effort on my part. I am the one in the family that pulls all the details together. A Caribbean cruise is just so easy in comparison. Definitely has that "been there done that" feeling but it is much more relaxing to me. We usually go in January so I'm just glad to get warm. :)

We have also cruised almost all over the world. And if you can go back to do another European cruise -- go for it.

We were fortune that we did land travels in quite a few countries and many cruises to the Baltic and Med before health issues happened. Now we can only cruise the Caribbean or Alaska because of not being able to fly long distances.

Sorry for the lose of your daughter.

Do come back and tell us where you will be cruising to.

My condolences for your loss.

I have no further desire to go to the Caribbean. I suppose someday we will go to the Southern Caribbean. Right now we are working off our bucket list and trying to visit the places that will be more and more difficult to get to as we age.

We went to Caribbean once, and decided not to come back. It's just not for us. Nothing wrong, we just didn't enjoy the islands.

We have great memories of our European cruises, and would love to go again to so many places...

God bless.

Karina: My deepest condolences on the loss of your daughter.

Langley Cruisers: so sorry about the cancer but glad you are a survivor.

I know what you are saying about European cruises as I had the privilege to finally fly over the pond last year to the Med.

I've been bitten by the Eurooe bug after 20 cruises and the Caribbean no longer holds the appeal it once did. However, my wallet can't handle a Europen cruise every year so we are sailing in 2015 to the Caribbean but I am saving for a 2016 cruise to Europe.

No cruise is a waste.

Life is so short and precious. Do what you can whether it's Europe or the Caribbean. it's still better than sitting home and not experiencing all that life has to offer.

Hugs to you both. :)

Thank you and God bless you for winning your battle with cancer!

Thank you.

Langley Cruisers: so sorry about the cancer but glad you are a survivor....No cruise is a waste. Life is so short and precious. Do what you can whether it's Europe or the Caribbean. it's still better than sitting home and not experiencing all that life has to offer. Hugs to you both. :)

Thank you. hug received. I understand where OP is coming from- she probably feels even more strongly now that vacations are not to be "wasted", but treasured as much as possible. I think she just wants to make good decisions. I do too. :) In the next two weeks, DH and I are taking a land vacation to the Bahamas. The Bahamas! IN JULY! I mean, who does that???? :eek::eek: I guess we do... when you get a screaming deal and life is precious and short, you do what you have to do. It's absolutely stinking hot there but the ocean will be a bathtub. :D

We went to Caribbean once, and decided not to come back. It's just not for us. Nothing wrong, we just didn't enjoy the islands.

We are the same way - not to mention that we hate heat, humidity and crowds; we were pretty unhappy with our Caribbean cruise and aren't going back there.

Honestly, if doing a European cruise was a problem, I'd rather do a New England/Canada, or a west coast repo cruise or something else that not Caribbean but that doesn't require traveling to Europe.

Thank you.

Thank you. hug received. I understand where OP is coming from- she probably feels even more strongly now that vacations are not to be "wasted", but treasured as much as possible. I think she just wants to make good decisions. I do too. :) In the next two weeks, DH and I are taking a land vacation to the Bahamas. The Bahamas! IN JULY! I mean, who does that???? :eek::eek: I guess we do... when you get a screaming deal and life is precious and short, you do what you have to do. It's absolutely stinking hot there but the ocean will be a bathtub. :D

God Bless! I think a Bahamas land trip sounds simply fab in July..but then again I'm a hot weather girl. :)

Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Enjoy every minute and please post when you return.

Here's an extra hug for your good health. (())

I sincerely appreciate all your kind words and condolences! It was 5 yrs. on June 12th, but, believe me, it still hurts like no time has passed. We were taking her on her 2nd cruise (1st was Disney) and she passed away 2 wks. before.

I grew up with vacations at the Jersey Shore. Kids today are very fortunate, from what I read here, to go the places a cruise could take you. I think it's cheaper to go to the Caribbean then to the Jersey Shore these days and who'd want to go in that water?!

I am watching the prices every day for a drop in the prices for Europe. If it feels right and the air is available with free miles, then we might be able to go.

I am totally with you on the Europe? Caribbean? choices. We have been to the Caribbean so many times on fly/land trips I don't know that we will ever take a cruise to the Caribbean. There are so many other wonderful places to see.

Have a wonderful cruise whatever you decide. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it must be.

We tend to cruise the Caribbean most years, combined with cruises to other places we want to visit; we love TA's, have done the Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, South America, Hawaii, the Med and plan on doing a more 'exotic' cruise whenever the price and itinerary suit us. Bucket list cruises include Australia/New Zealand and the South Pacific.

But, we still love the Caribbean and don't consider it a waste at all. It's closer than most other destinations and most of all nice and warm in the winter. We enjoy the ship and the islands, even if we have been to a particular island multiple times.

We do look for cruises that hit islands we haven't been to before, or as often, but we can still find things to do--even if it's just a nice walk--in places like St. Thomas, that we've probably been to a dozen times.

We do kind of think it's a waste to go to the islands for only a week any more; just too much hassle with flights, hotel, etc. to be worth it for a week, so usually it's at least 10 days, preferably more.

Europe is expensive, but we manage to keep our expenses down by using private excursions and, usually, FF miles. We also prefer not to cruise during the busiest times, such as summer in Europe, and are lucky that we can be very flexible as to when we cruise. We're not big spenders and don't need the most expensive hotels (we like B&B's), meals, shopping, etc.

We didn't get to the Caribbean last year and I missed the beauty and relaxation of sailing there.